Reforging the Shards (Tvay's Painting thread) Now with more Uthuk!

By Tvayumat, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

16 minutes ago, Torpid Rebel said:

Loving both of your armies, very nice!

Question about the magnets though... what have you done? I see a magnet pushed into the hollow part on the soldier's bases, but in what way did you modify the trays?

I've been asked enough times, I should really just put together some instructions.

With the miniature:

1. Drill peg hole out to 1/8" (or whatever your magnet width)
  2. Glue in magnet, always being sure your polarities are aligned the same way (Doesn't really matter for this, but it's a good habit)

With the tray:

1. Clip out the peg so the bottom of the model slot is as close to flush as you can get it.
  2. Indent the center of where the peg hole WAS with an exacto, as a guide for your drill.
  3. Drill a 1mm hole in the center of where the peg used to be with your pinvice
  4. Put a dab of superglue gel on the flat tip of a paperclip
  5. Insert flat tip of paperclip into the hole in the tray from the bottom, twist in place to spread glue around.
  6. Clip paperclip flush on the bottom (More advanced but helpful, pull the paperclip out of the hole by about 1mm, then clip, then push the paperclip back up from the bottom until it is flush with the interior surface of the tray, but the clipped end isn't sticking out the bottom at all)
  7. Enjoy magnetized trays.
Edited by Tvayumat
6 minutes ago, Tvayumat said:

I've been asked enough times, I should really just put together some instructions.

With the miniature:

1. Drill peg hole out to 1/8" (or whatever your magnet width)
  2. Glue in magnet, always being sure your polarities are aligned the same way (Doesn't really matter for this, but it's a good habit)

With the tray:

1. Clip out the peg so the bottom of the model slot is as close to flush as you can get it.
  2. Indent the center of where the peg hole WAS with an exacto, as a guide for your drill.
  3. Drill a 1mm hole in the center of where the peg used to be with your pinvice
  4. Put a dab of superglue gel on the flat tip of a paperclip
  5. Insert flat tip of paperclip into the hole in the tray from the bottom, twist in place to spread glue around.
  6. Clip paperclip flush on the bottom (More advanced but helpful, pull the paperclip out of the hole by about 1mm, then clip, then push the paperclip back up from the bottom until it is flush with the interior surface of the tray, but the clipped end isn't sticking out the bottom at all)
  7. Enjoy magnetized trays.

I get the miniature side, but apparently I'm rather dense, and I can't quite picture what you mean for the tray side. Drill a 1mm hole, but how much of the paperclip is getting left in there? (I only ask, because I THINK I know what you're saying, but from what I'm thinking, I'm really surprised that models can hang upside down just from that tiny amount of metal!)

1 minute ago, Torpid Rebel said:

I get the miniature side, but apparently I'm rather dense, and I can't quite picture what you mean for the tray side. Drill a 1mm hole, but how much of the paperclip is getting left in there? (I only ask, because I THINK I know what you're saying, but from what I'm thinking, I'm really surprised that models can hang upside down just from that tiny amount of metal!)

The length of the paperclip bit is basically the thickness of the tray at the bottom of the unit indent.

If you look at my pictures you can see a little metallic dot on the bottom of each slot, that's the end of the paperclip stub. You don't need much.

Just now, Tvayumat said:

The length of the paperclip bit is basically the thickness of the tray at the bottom of the unit indent.

If you look at my pictures you can see a little metallic dot on the bottom of each slot, that's the end of the paperclip stub. You don't need much.

Okay, I understood the instructions correctly. MAGNETS!

1 minute ago, Torpid Rebel said:

Okay, I understood the instructions correctly. MAGNETS!

How do they work?!

wow i feel like an idiot...youre using paperclips to pair the magnets? heh ive always just had magnets on both sides...using 2x the magnets and 2x the polarity issues if i fumble with the stack (i always place them on something metal in a specific way so i keep the polarity correct).

Thats....much smarter than i was doing LOL i wouldnt expect them to hold as hard as you demonstrated.
though in my defense a lot of things i end up magnetizing need some pretty good strength. The arms of my Ta'unar being an example (the arm alone weighs more than the rune golem by quite a large margin)

Edited by Vineheart01
3 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

wow i feel like an idiot...youre using paperclips to pair the magnets? heh ive always just had magnets on both sides...using 2x the magnets and 2x the polarity issues if i fumble with the stack (i always place them on something metal in a specific way so i keep the polarity correct).

Thats....much smarter than i was doing LOL i wouldnt expect them to hold as hard as you demonstrated.
though in my defense a lot of things i end up magnetizing need some pretty good strength. The arms of my Ta'unar being an example (the arm alone weighs more than the rune golem by quite a large margin)

They hold enough to keep the models in place upside down, but weakly enough that you can easily lift a model out of the tray (with a tilt) and it won't move the tray.

If you're looking for more strength, paired magnets are always good.

I use pairs for the bigger figs like Oathsworn.

I have magnetic paint which I'm going to try out. Just paint the slots in the trays where the figures go. (It's really just a paint made of iron filings, I think.)

I love those spearmen! I really dig the shields. I suppose I'll do something like that instead of trying to paint on the emblems, though I do want to try that first.

UPDATE: Added two more Carrion Lancers with alternate poses

On 19.4.2017 at 4:32 AM, Crifmer said:

I have magnetic paint which I'm going to try out. Just paint the slots in the trays where the figures go. (It's really just a paint made of iron filings, I think.)

I love those spearmen! I really dig the shields. I suppose I'll do something like that instead of trying to paint on the emblems, though I do want to try that first.

Do you have a link to this kind of magnetic paint :)? Was looking for it, but can't find it within the interweb :)!

@Tvayumat: Amazing paintjob you did here with all the miniatures! Could you do an step by step tutorial with pictures for your magnetizing of the miniatures? Would be really kind from you, especially for the bigger miniatures :)!

Thanks in advance and keep up the great work! Just "followed" this thread :) ...

1 hour ago, Fomorian said:

Do you have a link to this kind of magnetic paint :)? Was looking for it, but can't find it within the interweb :)!

@Tvayumat: Amazing paintjob you did here with all the miniatures! Could you do an step by step tutorial with pictures for your magnetizing of the miniatures? Would be really kind from you, especially for the bigger miniatures :)!

Thanks in advance and keep up the great work! Just "followed" this thread :) ...

I've got another package of magnets on their way right now. Should be here monday, and I'll post up a detailed step-by-step with pictures.

On 4/23/2017 at 1:01 PM, Fomorian said:

Both Krylon and Rust-Oleum make magnetic paint/primer. I got mine either at Home Depot or Michaels. Forget which. It's basically iron filings in an oil-based solution - make sure you have thinner to clean your brush or just toss it. Simple soap and water won't do it. And you have to stir or shake it really well. I got it for making magnetic scenery, and it works all right as an undercoat - one layer will do the job and not kill detail. Since you'd be using it inside the figure slots where it's just flat, you can do two or three layers to make sure it's pretty "metal."

How did you make the barricades? they look great and the problem i keep having is getting the right tie on the rope

That sounds great Crifmer :)! I think i will go that way to, cause that safe me a lot of time, if i would drill a hole in the trays and put a paperclip inside.

What measurements of neodym magnets are the best (in mm)? I think about using 3x2 mm or 3x3 mm and make the hole of the miniature bases a bit wider with a 3 mm drill and glue those magnets directly in to the hole. This will also save me some time, instead of putting a smaller magnet plus milliput in the hole of the miniature bases.

P.S. ... for the magnet colour; i find a waterbased one on amazon, so that you don't have to clean your brushes with some extra dissolver :)!

Edited by Fomorian

What brown textured stuff are you using for basing?

UPDATED with a few pieces of finished terrain and a fetid bog in progress.

18 hours ago, jonboyjon1990 said:

What brown textured stuff are you using for basing?

pots of GW stirland mud and battlemire I had lying around. I like it pretty well, but Vallejo black lava is better bang for your buck.

Got magnets in today, will get a couple of detailed pics of how to install those up shortly.

Lovely work on your terrain there. I'm waiting around to start mine because I want to see how others are tackling the problem of (you need to fit X number of units in this terrain).

@Tvayumat and anyone else - what size magnets fit in the peg hole on the underside of infantry bases? And can you give measurements in mm - European here!

52 minutes ago, jonboyjon1990 said:

@Tvayumat and anyone else - what size magnets fit in the peg hole on the underside of infantry bases? And can you give measurements in mm - European here!

Everyone seems to be using 3mm magnets, but they need a bit of drilling to fit. 2mm fits without the drilling, but are less powerful.

17 minutes ago, Torpid Rebel said:

Everyone seems to be using 3mm magnets, but they need a bit of drilling to fit. 2mm fits without the drilling, but are less powerful.

Ok thanks. How deep is the hole? I.e how thick/tall does the magnet need to be?

3 minutes ago, jonboyjon1990 said:

I think its 5 mm deep maybe!? I will go with 3x2 mm magnets, but 3x3 mm would also be good i think. You can decide how deep you will drill and regarding that decide the deep of the magnets :).

16 minutes ago, jonboyjon1990 said:

I just measured the peg hole of one of my reanimates. It is 2mmx2.5mm (so, 2.5mm deep)

Initial post getting a little cluttered, so I figured I'd put the 3d terrain here, now that I've finished the elevated terrace.

I'm making an effort to have all the terrain fit the tokens, thus be tournament legal (we assume) but also fit the requisite number of trays without having to be removed from the board.

Next and last up: Forest.

Elevated Terrace:
FLWvk4Yl.jpg Xq42kVwl.jpg YpsiGuRl.jpg xEGnAzXl.jpg

Spiked Barricades:
c8iX119l.jpg

Rocky Outcropping: BEING REDONE

Swamp:

0dqeHatl.jpg co6F8Czl.jpg

Crumbling wall:

7gkUlQjl.jpg QUGIhGMl.jpg

Got any more updates? Would love to see what you're doing with Unkaur Maro

1 hour ago, oda204 said:

Got any more updates? Would love to see what you're doing with Unkaur Maro

It has been a bit since I've updated, and I've done a thing or two since then. I'm working on Ankaur this week, I'll get him posted up along with some other progress.

Glad you like my work!