Reforging the Shards (Tvay's Painting thread) Now with more Uthuk!

By Tvayumat, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

UPDATE: Separating photos out a bit. 3D Terrain is on Page 2.

Well, now that we have proper forums, let's get started, shall we?

Starting with the Waiqar half of the core...

Magnets!

ktpMN1Ql.jpg Or0cqvzl.jpg

Reanimates/Archers!

gMNqlWHl.jpg DUV7yeil.jpg

Carrion Lancer!

INjnIfAl.jpg 5l9F9I6l.jpg 1Dxz7Tyl.jpg

Waiqar as of the night before release, not quite done, but ready for demo games!

McZgRT9h.jpg

Arrayed, and ready for demo games!

I18O7Pjh.jpg

UPDATE: Ardus Ix'Erebus finished

bF5NwyCl.jpg eIAY0bCl.jpg

UPDATE: Added two Carrion Lancers with alternate poses

iij4WGKh.jpg NmPGPMQh.jpg

UPDATE: Ankaur Maro finished

A1aJyorl.jpg cxUFS51l.jpg a9Vn3Qol.jpg

Edited by Tvayumat

Excellent job on the terrain! How did you make the rocks? Also, what technique did you use for the rust effects?

10 minutes ago, rowdyoctopus said:

Excellent job on the terrain! How did you make the rocks? Also, what technique did you use for the rust effects?

Why, thank you!

The rocks are floral foam, shaped by hand and painted with watered down wood glue to strengthen it and prepare it for painting.

The rust effects on the skellys (which I need to get around to doing on ALL the reanimates, not just a few) is just Army Painter's new Rust effect, stippled on. It's a pretty good, no-nonsense, super high pigment rust orange.

agree fantastic terrain job. love the mini's too. what did you use for the base of the terrain?

Plasticard for the bases or just cardboard?

1/8" styrene sheet (plasticard)

Easy enough to cut out the general shape with a hobby blade, then trim down the shape with a dremel.

He conveniently forgot the Runes ;P

Great looking army, and love the terrain. I'm curious I see you painted the movement trays up and added some nice bits. Are those trays textured already or did you add some grit etc before painting ?

Also did you hand make the anti cav spikes or did you buy those somewhere and paint them?

Update: Added Ardus Ix'Erebus

Army is looking awesome. I really like the slime effect on his scenic base.

Edited by DaShamrockKid
fixing my terrible spelling and grammar

Great work on the non-metallic painting on the armour. I've gone for metallic on my Daqan as I was put off by the amount of work involved in NM, but I may take the plunge for my Waiqar now, seeing how yours have come out...

On 4/16/2017 at 11:23 AM, banjobenito said:

Great work on the non-metallic painting on the armour. I've gone for metallic on my Daqan as I was put off by the amount of work involved in NM, but I may take the plunge for my Waiqar now, seeing how yours have come out...

Do it!

I've been talking about switching over to NMM for what feels like way too long. These guys are me taking the plunge and really getting in some solid practice.

Are you using a video guide? I'm armed with an airbrush, so it shouldn't be too tricky, but I sense that NMM comes down to having a good eye for light sources, and knowing some nice tricks to achieve them.

4 minutes ago, banjobenito said:

Are you using a video guide? I'm armed with an airbrush, so it shouldn't be too tricky, but I sense that NMM comes down to having a good eye for light sources, and knowing some nice tricks to achieve them.

This article has been my guide as of late. I highly recommend giving it a try!

http://www.contrastminiatures.com/learn/sketching/learning-to-sketch-in-value/

Brilliant work. Love the slightly more animation (in a good way) look on your undead. The basing work and your terrain is ace also.

The string on those spiked barricades looks awfully clean though...

Edited by eilif

The magnet thing im definitely doing. I find the pegs the models are in to be annoying as hell, not to mention im afraid im going to snap something pushing them onto the pegs.

Love the artwork here. The armor is especially amazing.

What size magnets did you use?

I also magnetized mine and used 1/8" by 1/25" magnets to do it.

So many models... but even with three cores of Waiqar, I want to get started on Daqan.

So, this is my Daqan post until I can figure out a better way to organize it.

Prototype tray of spearmen, hooooooo!

e9rJktil.jpg zZ3hg6El.jpg

Wow :wub:

Beautiful!

these look amazing. you really made the daqan look better than i couldve imagined

They look great, nice work. Never tried an airbrush, very tempting

8 minutes ago, Warpedstorm said:

They look great, nice work. Never tried an airbrush, very tempting

They're a tool like any other, and it's always good to have a big toolbox :D

Loving both of your armies, very nice!

Question about the magnets though... what have you done? I see a magnet pushed into the hollow part on the soldier's bases, but in what way did you modify the trays?