N-1 Naboo Starfighter for X-Wing

By Odanan, in X-Wing

3 hours ago, markcsoul said:

Kagi and Latts too. Plus more with the H6.

And Eval.

4 hours ago, Odanan said:

Here is my interpretation:

x_wing_miniatures_game___n1_starfighter_

I would like to do the forth pilot as unique too, but couldn't find any other new canon character that piloted it.

Yes on the pilots. No on the abilities and pilot skill. I don't like the way you copied what Shara and Leia do in their other forms already in the game.

For anyone who's actually read Shattered Empire, Shara's ARC pilot ability is a bad joke. She also deserves a higher pilot skill, expecially in a ship with speed and maneuverability comparable to the A-wing she usually flies. I'd give her an 8, but I'd settle for 7. Her pilot ability should be self-sufficient action efficiency or dice modification, not a support ability.

Lower PS for Leia is fine; we don't have much canon information on her skill as a pilot. A support ability is fine, but exercise a little more creativity instead of copying a crew card no one uses. Maybe something like: "once per round, when an enemy ship in your firing arc at range 1-3 is attacking, you may roll 1 attack die. On a hit or a crit result, that ship suffers 1 damage." It isn't overpowered, it has value in gameplay, and it makes thematic sense within the scope of what happened in the comic.

Queen Soruna's ability is good, but. maybe a little imbalanced.

I get what you're saying about making a fourth unique pilot. Just make one up with a call sign instead of a name, FFG has done it before, and will do it again. You could even make it higher PS than Soruna to mix things up.

1 hour ago, jmswood said:

Yes on the pilots. No on the abilities and pilot skill. I don't like the way you copied what Shara and Leia do in their other forms already in the game.

For anyone who's actually read Shattered Empire, Shara's ARC pilot ability is a bad joke. She also deserves a higher pilot skill, expecially in a ship with speed and maneuverability comparable to the A-wing she usually flies. I'd give her an 8, but I'd settle for 7. Her pilot ability should be self-sufficient action efficiency or dice modification, not a support ability.

Lower PS for Leia is fine; we don't have much canon information on her skill as a pilot. A support ability is fine, but exercise a little more creativity instead of copying a crew card no one uses. Maybe something like: "once per round, when an enemy ship in your firing arc at range 1-3 is attacking, you may roll 1 attack die. On a hit or a crit result, that ship suffers 1 damage." It isn't overpowered, it has value in gameplay, and it makes thematic sense within the scope of what happened in the comic.

Queen Soruna's ability is good, but. maybe a little imbalanced.

I get what you're saying about making a fourth unique pilot. Just make one up with a call sign instead of a name, FFG has done it before, and will do it again. You could even make it higher PS than Soruna to mix things up.

I've suggested using Rhys Dallows since he's the only other main named N-1 pilot that isn't Skywalker.

8 hours ago, sf1raptor said:

I've suggested using Rhys Dallows since he's the only other main named N-1 pilot that isn't Skywalker.

But... but... that way I can't name my "preview article" for this expansion as MILF ("Mothers I would like to fly").

4 minutes ago, Odanan said:

But... but... that way I can't name my "preview article" for this expansion as MILF ("Mothers I would like to fly").

Oh lol. Disney'd just love that for sure.

15 minutes ago, Lobokai said:

Oh lol. Disney'd just love that for sure.

Those are the same people who animated a priest pitching a tent during the wedding scene in Little Mermaid.

I wouldn't buy it, and I don't want to see it in the game. Mainly because it is incredibly ugly.

Just a really boring design-ripoff of art deco. It looks utterly out of place in the universe to me. Sure, this is an aesthetic call, but it's also backed up by the ship coming from Episode One - the worst Star Wars movie of all time.

I would buy enough to run a 100 point swarm. I think Leia's ability should be about leadership. Give her ship the reinforce action and have her ability be able to perform the reinforce action twice. I have been wanting this ship in the game since Wave 3.

38 minutes ago, banjobenito said:

Episode One - the worst Star Wars movie of all time.

Worse than the Ewok Adventures?

54 minutes ago, banjobenito said:

Episode Seven - the worst Star Wars movie of all time.

Fixed it for you :P

6 minutes ago, markcsoul said:

You know those low-budget sequels of famous movies that are just a rip-offs of the original movie? - That's Episode 7 (and what makes worse is that they did have a huge budget).

17 hours ago, Turbo Toker said:

If FFG puts prequel ships into the game, I'm done buying X-Wing.

The only reason people are even still aware of these movies is because they have Star Wars in the title, not that they're good movies themselves. George Lucas is a hack, and the best thing to ever happen to Star Wars was to give control of it to other people.

If the Star Wars prequels were the only Star Wars movies in existence, they'd be viewed the same way that the film adaption of Dune is: A ridiculous mediocre oddity that is best forgotten about.

Bye.

ARC-170 already is in the game. Naboo fighter is just a matter of time.

40 minutes ago, Toqtamish said:

Bye.

ARC-170 already is in the game. Naboo fighter is just a matter of time.

The problem will be twice as bad then.

Just now, Turbo Toker said:

If the 'problem' is that you are going to leave the game, I don't see it as being very significant.

17 minutes ago, Turbo Toker said:

So you will quit the game twice as hard? How do you want to do that considering you are quitting it right now after learning about a prequel ship already in game?

(BTW Gozanti is also a prequel ship)

Will you quit it today, and then rebuy all your stuff and quit again when N-1 is announced?

1 hour ago, markcsoul said:

Okay, I'm game. By what metric would you like to prove I better than VII? There's only one that I can see: originality. It is a far inferior film by every other measurement.

Setting. Direction. Acting. Narrative arc. Dialog. Onscreen chemistry. Lighting. Coherence. Comedy.

Cinematically, TPM is more interesting by a country mile. Visually the two are almost incomparable, with TPM having the advantage. Its main flaw is that it did not cater to fan expectations, and certainly not in the way that TFA did.

TPM also has a tighter focus thematically. TFA has some interesting themes, but it's more wandering, although that may be the point, since the main characters also appear to be looking for identity.

But for the moment, I consider TPM to be a multi-faceted piece of timeless film, while TFA is more simple blockbuster entertainment.

20 minutes ago, banjobenito said:

Okay, I'm game. By what metric would you like to prove I better than VII? There's only one that I can see: originality. It is a far inferior film by every other measurement.

Setting. Direction. Acting. Narrative arc. Dialog. Onscreen chemistry. Lighting. Coherence. Comedy.

The are both very bad, but least George Lucas had the balls to create a new story for Episode I. Disney, on the other hand, went on the safest possible route: Episode VII is a remake of the OT for the newer audience.

19 minutes ago, Verlaine said:

Cinematically, TPM is more interesting by a country mile. Visually the two are almost incomparable, with TPM having the advantage. Its main flaw is that it did not cater to fan expectations, and certainly not in the way that TFA did.

TPM also has a tighter focus thematically. TFA has some interesting themes, but it's more wandering, although that may be the point, since the main characters also appear to be looking for identity.

But for the moment, I consider TPM to be a multi-faceted piece of timeless film, while TFA is more simple blockbuster entertainment.

TPM is shot like a TV movie. Static cameras. Arbitrary Mise-en-scène. Causally disjointed, due to endless bluescreen shenanigans.

TFA is pretty limited sometimes, but at least it has a coherent and recognisable visual language. Framing is tight; character movement is dynamic and it tends to leads scene changes; sets and props contribute to the picture in meaningful ways (foreboding, melancholy, symmetry, etc.). TFA also uses props and location to great effect to draw the viewer in, in a way that is simply absent in TPM.

TPM has tight thematic focus? I'm sorry, but it's thematically tone deaf! It moves from farce to tragedy to boredom all in the space of 5 minutes. Its themes are muddled - intergalactic book-keeping and derringdo: Apprenticeship and absurdity. Ultimately, theme hangs from the shoulders of character, and TPM is just bereft of decent characters. Obi Wan is the only person in the film, and that's more down to McGregor's stubborn acting than direction, arc or development.

I could go on, but I'll leave it there. As I said before, it's true that TFA is a magpie of a film, lining its nest with stolen jewels, but I'd take a clever magpie over a lame turkey any day...

Edited by banjobenito
2 minutes ago, banjobenito said:

TPM is shot like a TV movie. Static cameras.

I guess Kurosawa was a TV director then.

43 minutes ago, banjobenito said:

TPM is definitely not a perfect star wars movie (though I do like it more than many fans), but I personally feel it's better than TFA.

Biggest reason by far is the story. TPM was original, whereas TFA was a copycat of ANH.

But I find TPM has better music, a better lightsaber duel, has better world building, and feels much more epic in scale.

TFA isn't horrible by any means, I still enjoy it. It probably has the best humor of all 8 movies and possibly the best acting (Which isn't saying much).

But again these are all my personal opinions.

The ARC is tolerable as long as it just stays the ARC. There is a strong argument to be made that it brought a lot gameplay-wise to the game, a small base with a crew slot and aux arc. The Naboo Starfighter is just goofy looking, and wouldn't be any different from a Z-95 or Syck.

In a comparison between TPM and TFA, the argument that TFA is a carbon copy of the original Star Wars is a plus.

The only thing going for TPM is the sweet light saber fight at the end of the movie. That's it.

Part of what makes Star Wars so good is the lived in universe it's set in. It's some weird combination of World War 2 and 1970's retro futurism. Everything that's not Imperial has a grimy, used feel to it.

Everything being bluescreened and looking like a Playstation 2 game does not fit Star Wars. Jar Jar Binks is not Star Wars. Gungan Waterworld is not Star Wars. That Chicago bean thing ship is not Star Wars. The gungan vs. battle Droid fight does not make the movie have an epic scale.

Edited by Turbo Toker

TFA may take from Episode IV, but so did Episode VI. People seem to forget it also had the massive battle station when comparing IV and VII. I will give the IV and VII have more similarities the IV and VI, but I wouldn't quite say TFA is a copy and paste of ANH (Even the X-wings sorta follow how things happen today with fighters. A single design could stick around for decades.) Also, point me to the defector that Episode IV had any focus on other then a reference abut Biggs being a cadet at one point (Wedge and Hobbie don't count either).

Just my two cents.

2 minutes ago, Turbo Toker said:

The ARC is tolerable as long as it just stays the ARC. There is a strong argument to be made that it brought a lot gameplay-wise to the game, a small base with a crew slot and aux arc. The Naboo Starfighter is just goofy looking, and wouldn't be any different from a Z-95 or Syck.

In a comparison between TPM and TFA, the argument that TFA is a carbon copy of the original Star Wars is a plus.

The only thing going for TPM is the sweet light saber fight at the end of the movie. That's it.

Part of what makes Star Wars so good is the lived in universe it's set in. It's some weird combination of World War 2 and 1970's retro futurism. Everything that's not Imperial has a grimy, used feel to it.

Everything being bluescreened and looking like a Playstation 2 game does not fit Star Wars. Jar Jar Binks is not Star Wars. Gungan Waterworld is not Star Wars. That Chicago bean thing ship is not Star Wars.

Was typing when you posted this, but is an entire galaxy, I can see some places keeping there fighters sharp, especial royal starfighter, and having more smooth designs. As it stands, I like the N-1s look. Still haven't hated the a single design in Star Wars (even the Twilight ).

I can already hear someone laughing at that.

15 minutes ago, Verlaine said:

I guess Kurosawa was a TV director then.

Thanks for bringing him up; here's a short film that does a really nice job of singing his cinematic praises. It also acts as a shopping list of techniques that are completely alien to TPM...