Four Factions on Organized Play Store Poster

By Elliphino, in Runewars Miniatures Game

to me the factions that appeal me the most are : Latari Elves, Dwarves, Orcs and... oh will there be a mage faction or something ? Could be pretty fun with air/fire/water/wood spirits or blizzards spells and so on....And yet I don't even know what to expect with the orcs... Ah yes I can check that box of Diskwars I just bought on Ebay to have an idea... :D

2 minutes ago, Elrad said:

to me the factions that appeal me the most are : Latari Elves, Dwarves, Orcs and... oh will there be a mage faction or something ?

That's a funny way to spell Uthuk Y'llan. I put it down to English not being your first language. :P

I just hope Elves are themed to my taste. I love the elves in LOTR, D&D, Shannara, etc, but if the theme of Latari Elves are too far from those other types of Elves I would find that disappointing.

41 minutes ago, flightmaster101 said:

I just hope Elves are themed to my taste. I love the elves in LOTR, D&D, Shannara, etc, but if the theme of Latari Elves are too far from those other types of Elves I would find that disappointing.

I expect them to have great mobility and ranged units like in the Runewars boardgame.

12 minutes ago, Muz333 said:

I expect them to have great mobility and ranged units like in the Runewars boardgame.

If they have that I'll be happy. If they can add a bit of natural magic or talisman abilities that would be awesome.

1 hour ago, flightmaster101 said:

From the material we got so far, Latari are pretty much modelled on the classic reclusive and mysterious woodland Elf tropes, so you should feel right at home. Though TBH in my eyes the beast cavalry, like with the gal on the poster, give them a bit of a comicbooky WoW vibe as well.

Edited by player1750031
4 hours ago, flightmaster101 said:

If you download the Rune Age rules and read page 18, you'll see they have a lot of overlap with the LotR elves.

4 hours ago, player1750031 said:

From the material we got so far, Latari are pretty much modelled on the classic reclusive and mysterious woodland Elf tropes, so you should feel right at home. Though TBH in my eyes the beast cavalry, like with the gal on the poster, give them a bit of a comicbooky WoW vibe as well.

I'm ok with a bit of a twist. You can't just verbatim copy other stuff for your (ffg's) ip. To me elves represent purity of nature, connection to divine magic, and wisdom in their actions. As long as those ideals of elvendom come across I'm sure I'll be happy, no matter what they ride as cavalry or use as melted weapons.

9 hours ago, flightmaster101 said:

I'm ok with a bit of a twist. You can't just verbatim copy other stuff for your (ffg's) ip. To me elves represent purity of nature, connection to divine magic, and wisdom in their actions. As long as those ideals of elvendom come across I'm sure I'll be happy, no matter what they ride as cavalry or use as melted weapons.

In Disk Wars they certainly used Nature, had ents and woodland spirits on their side. As for wisdom, they certainly have that elven trait of ACTING like everything you do is wise and all the other races are so foolish, and yet are somehow a race on the decline...

17 hours ago, Muz333 said:

That's a funny way to spell Uthuk Y'llan. I put it down to English not being your first language. :P

Hu ? Where did I write uthuk ?

4 minutes ago, Elrad said:

Hu ? Where did I write uthuk ?

It was a joke, as the Uthuk Y'llan are clearly the best faction yet you never mentioned them in your list!

7 minutes ago, Muz333 said:

It was a joke, as the Uthuk Y'llan are clearly the best faction yet you never mentioned them in your list!

:D well done, because i'm not a fan of the Uthuk... for now.

So I've been trying to dive into the lore. I think the IP is pretty cool, it has a mixture of tropes from WH, LOTR, WoW, and more. I would love to see them begin a full series of novels set in this universe. Perhaps they could use the same publisher of the GW lines?

So from @Budgernaut 's post, I've loved the little lore hints, but what more is there? They hint at these shadow cabals in Daqan, and sorceress-queens in Latari, and Waiqar plots and Uthuk prophecy, but where do we go for more?

13 minutes ago, drkpnthr said:

So I've been trying to dive into the lore. I think the IP is pretty cool, it has a mixture of tropes from WH, LOTR, WoW, and more. I would love to see them begin a full series of novels set in this universe. Perhaps they could use the same publisher of the GW lines?

So from @Budgernaut 's post, I've loved the little lore hints, but what more is there? They hint at these shadow cabals in Daqan, and sorceress-queens in Latari, and Waiqar plots and Uthuk prophecy, but where do we go for more?

Descent. I'm sure you know it, but the undying hero is originally a mini boss in Descent, and much of the world's lore is fleshed out there and runebound (and all their expansions respectively), as well as RuneAge. Through them you find out about the council of 13, the background of each free city, dunwarr and latari, as well as the people. Battle Lore will give you an idea of what the game's units will be like, and a general feeling on how the magic will play.

If you dont' own the runewars boardgame, I suggest you buy it immediately. Not only is it one of my favorite board games, and really well thought out, but there's lore in the tactics cards and the game play. For example the RWBG lets us know that there's a Warrior's Guild, a Wizard's Council, and the Heroes league, and each faction can vie for control of them. It also implies that the only faction that has popular support of its ruled people is Daqan, and that the Uthuk are blighting the land as a military strategy, and latari are more elite in general but lack really nasty gribbly monsters. What questions do you have about the fluff? I have all these games (and battlemist too).

48 minutes ago, Taki said:

Descent. I'm sure you know it, but the undying hero is originally a mini boss in Descent, and much of the world's lore is fleshed out there and runebound (and all their expansions respectively), as well as RuneAge. Through them you find out about the council of 13, the background of each free city, dunwarr and latari, as well as the people. Battle Lore will give you an idea of what the game's units will be like, and a general feeling on how the magic will play.

If you dont' own the runewars boardgame, I suggest you buy it immediately. Not only is it one of my favorite board games, and really well thought out, but there's lore in the tactics cards and the game play. For example the RWBG lets us know that there's a Warrior's Guild, a Wizard's Council, and the Heroes league, and each faction can vie for control of them. It also implies that the only faction that has popular support of its ruled people is Daqan, and that the Uthuk are blighting the land as a military strategy, and latari are more elite in general but lack really nasty gribbly monsters. What questions do you have about the fluff? I have all these games (and battlemist too).

They have to publish a 100 pages book to compile and structure all of this if their 32 pages lore book in RWMG doesn't do it. because to gather every possible piece of lore information, it's quite expansive right now ^^

On ‎01‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 10:19 PM, flightmaster101 said:

Remember - Runebound doesn't have magic. At least not magic like the other settings you've listed there.

12 hours ago, Taear said:

Remember - Runebound doesn't have magic. At least not magic like the other settings you've listed there.

What do you mean by that? I was casting all sorts of spells in Disk Wars. The Dragon Runes are bigger batteries for that magic.

1 hour ago, Waywardpaladin said:

What do you mean by that? I was casting all sorts of spells in Disk Wars. The Dragon Runes are bigger batteries for that magic.

I get it though. It's not a traditional look at magic, and that's fine.

17 hours ago, Waywardpaladin said:

Not how the setting works right now. The runes are tools to utilize magic energy. Basically, magic is water, and runes are everything from squirt guns, to fire hoses, to mill wheels. Their genius is that they're relatively easy to learn to use, they're versatile and they're very safe; whereas other forms of magic are more dangerous and corrupting in the setting (when used directly)

While diskwars was a great game, they never really explained the spell casting in it, and have moved in a different direction since then (or at least have chosen a different explanation of how and why those powers work) in the various game settings (from descent, to runebound and everything else). A good thing to look at might be the wizard classes available in descent, there are runemages, conjurors, geomancers, and more

53 minutes ago, Taki said:

Not how the setting works right now. The runes are tools to utilize magic energy. Basically, magic is water, and runes are everything from squirt guns, to fire hoses, to mill wheels. Their genius is that they're relatively easy to learn to use, they're versatile and they're very safe; whereas other forms of magic are more dangerous and corrupting in the setting (when used directly)

While diskwars was a great game, they never really explained the spell casting in it, and have moved in a different direction since then (or at least have chosen a different explanation of how and why those powers work) in the various game settings (from descent, to runebound and everything else). A good thing to look at might be the wizard classes available in descent, there are runemages, conjurors, geomancers, and more

Magic worked before Timmoran made his orb, and it worked before the Dragons carved their runes on those shards.

So obviously it is possible to cast magic on the fly with traditional magic casting. It could be that rune magic is just more efficient or easier. Though that being said, each of the spell disks you added to your spellbook did have a sigil on it :P

1 minute ago, Waywardpaladin said:

Magic worked before Timmoran made his orb, and it worked before the Dragons carved their runes on those shards.

So obviously it is possible to cast magic on the fly with traditional magic casting. It could be that rune magic is just more efficient or easier. Though that being said, each of the spell disks you added to your spellbook did have a sigil on it :P

I remember.

The implications I get from the meta fluff (the fluff that's implied but not written) is that magic corrupts. People who do necromancy tend to take on creepy traits, people who do conjuring seem less real, etc. In contrast, what we see from rune magic is fairly normal looking folks, who can learn magic super quickly (see novice wizards), and they look well groomed too, so very unlike the other kinds of wizards. I agree that other magic exists in the setting, maybe even traditional DnD style wizardry, but I think it's more like a person studies magic and gets superhero style powers from it. Things like Runewitch Astarra being able to teleport/blink short distances every turn without the need to cast anything. Runes themselves are like weapons that these wizards, any wizards, can focus magic through to do damage.

I always thought runes were drawn in order to channel magic, whether they were dragon runes, shards of the Sky Orb, or whatever. I assume that people can do magic without runes, but rune magic seems to be the common method. I think this fits well with the rune system used for Diskwars.

When the elves are in the shop i go into this game, not earlier. Remember Battle Lore 2 finished with 3 factions, without the elves, remember Rune Wars Board Games already had these 4 factions, but in mini scale. if the elves come true, i also hope for a 2nd Edit of the Boardgame. On the long hand dwarfs and orcs should add, but this means the game has a sucess like Star Wars, i dont think so. We will see.

Orcs and Dwarfs aren't a civilization in terrinoth universe. As I can see they are more or less part of the Daqan Baronies. I read somewhere they are pretty common in certain free cities

Edited by pella91
On 3/10/2017 at 10:07 AM, pella91 said:

Orcs and Dwarfs aren't a civilization in terrinoth universe. As I can see they are more or less part of the Daqan Baronies. I read somewhere they are pretty common in certain free cities

Not exactly true. In Rune Age, which is contemporarily set, both are factions. Yes there are many dwarves and orcs living in the baronies, but Forge proper is sealed off from outsiders, and many orc tribes still roam the wastes.