Showcase: T65 X-wing

By Piscopas, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

Ready for the new expansion!

First attempt at an X-Wing repaint after getting hooked on painting IA. Thinking this may be the start of Freedom Squadron!

Webp.net-compress-image.jpg

On 5/7/2018 at 5:04 AM, LHyoda said:

First attempt at an X-Wing repaint after getting hooked on painting IA. Thinking this may be the start of Freedom Squadron!

Webp.net-compress-image.jpg

Well, the US AF Thunderbirds did a press release to announce their official replacement to the F-16 last Friday (May 4th)
DcW_fQSVQAEVJG9.jpg

25 minutes ago, Yakostovian said:

Well, the US AF Thunderbirds did a press release to announce their official replacement to the F-16 last Friday (May 4th)
DcW_fQSVQAEVJG9.jpg

That was the inspiration! Someone linked that in a Facebook group and it seemed like fun paint scheme to try and replicate.

L3LEq0d.jpg

Quick Wedge repaint for 2.0. I think that I'll try decalling next time.

A quick and dirty one. Had a short evening available, so took one of my many X-wings and made Antoc Merricks ride:

5KUZt0hl.jpg

Edited by Managarmr
Link correction

Oh yeah, realized that I didn't post this here

38644338_2160544164229098_36536718004552

Having stripped down and repainted my Rogue Squadron X-Wings, I give you the new and Macross-inspired paint scheme:

MH0UCkv.jpg
gRGirVN.jpg

Edited by Stryker359

It's been a while, but I don't remember a green fellow.

Poor Ben Dixon... ?

20 minutes ago, Force Majeure said:

It's been a while, but I don't remember a green fellow.

Poor Ben Dixon... ?

This is based off the Macross: Do You Remember Love? schemes, which were later used in Macross Frontier and Delta. The green one is the character who became Ben Dixon in Robotech.

My modest contribution to this consolidated showcase thread :)
Find the rest of my repaints here: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/281697-wanoumars-repaints/

My Soviet X-Wings :)

CfBi0Zx.jpg

Thanks for watching! :)

WanouMars

3 hours ago, WanouMars said:

My modest contribution to this consolidated showcase thread :)
Find the rest of my repaints here: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/281697-wanoumars-repaints/

My Soviet X-Wings :)

CfBi0Zx.jpg

Thanks for watching! :)

WanouMars

Beautiful Comrade! The Red bases and pegs really brings out the communist flavor!

So many cool and creative X-wings here. Oh, well, I guess I'll throw my first replica of a studio model paint job into the mix - Red 2, just for the love of the good ol' X-wing:

5c631556adbab_XwingRed201x.png.654c64a8c

5c63155a5370b_XwingRed202x.png.7bd34f3c0

5c63155db7f15_XwingRed203x.png.c503deda3

5c6315613394a_XwingRed204x.png.bcb640089

You really captured the Kenner feel with this one.

;)

On 2/13/2019 at 10:58 PM, Fourtytwo said:

So many cool and creative X-wings here. Oh, well, I guess I'll throw my first replica of a studio model paint job into the mix - Red 2, just for the love of the good ol' X-wing:

5c631556adbab_XwingRed201x.png.654c64a8c

5c63155a5370b_XwingRed202x.png.7bd34f3c0

5c63155db7f15_XwingRed203x.png.c503deda3

5c6315613394a_XwingRed204x.png.bcb640089

This turned out so great. Do you have any tips for painting the nice, crisp markings you achieved?

22 hours ago, wjcargill said:

This turned out so great. Do you have any tips for painting the nice, crisp markings you achieved?

Thank you!

As for the markings: It's a matter of practice, but there are also some tips I can give you:

First of all, thin your paint, but get rid of excess fluid in your brush by lightly touching the tip if your brush to a kitchen tissue before you apply the Colour to your model - this will help you maximise your control over where your colour goes. Second, do not attempt to paint a straight line in one go - instead, just paint a short line, then another, then another, always check if you are on the mark. Build up the markings bit by bit. If you miss the mark or make a mistake, don't panic, but correct the mistake later by painting over the mistake with the neighbouring colour. Third, as with all things, practice will naturally make you better at it.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Fourtytwo
On 3/12/2019 at 4:06 AM, Fourtytwo said:

Thank you!

As for the markings: It's a matter of practice, but there are also some tips I can give you:

First of all, thin your paint, but get rid of excess fluid in your brush by lightly touching the tip if your brush to a kitchen tissue before you apply the Colour to your model - this will help you maximise your control over where your colour goes. Second, do not attempt to paint a straight line in one go - instead, just paint a short line, then another, then another, always check if you are on the mark. Build up the markings bit by bit. If you miss the mark or make a mistake, don't panic, but correct the mistake later by painting over the mistake with the neighbouring colour. Third, as with all things, practice will naturally make you better at it.

I hope this helps.

Good tips, thank you. As well, did you repaint the entire model or just touch up the existing detail? Your colors look more appealing than the tan color on the stock kits. If you did repaint, can you share the base you used?

I based this x-wing on the partisian version :)

1457863574_x-wingpic1.1.png.4acef80538b33df18411eb63761d1323.png

Hey everyone!

I know it's been a while since I've posted, but I've been up to a few things since my Blue Squadron repaints...

For one - I've finished the squadron!

IMG_20190602_171551.jpg

I've also been collaborating with another scale modeler, whom I connected with on Instagram - he made custom decals for his 1/72 Bandai X-Wing based on Ralph McQuarrie's concept art for the X-Wing. You can find this 1/72 X-Wing here

I chatted with CosmoModels a bit, and he scaled down the decals for 1/270-ish use, this is the first of a full squadron-worth of T-65's (this is one view... I'll try to get the other two pictures up soon):

One thing about this upcoming squadron is that it's a combination of decals and (soon) painting and weathering. The pic I attached is just the decals for this T-65, so far.

IMG_20190605_204404.jpg

X-Wing and Z-95.

IMG-1113.jpg  

Redwing Blackbird. 

IMG-1114.jpg 

Tuskeegee Airmen Red Tails X-Wing and Z-95s. 

IMG-1117.jpg 
IMG-1120.jpg 

On 6/20/2019 at 11:36 AM, DJ_Burgess said:

I've also been collaborating with another scale modeler, whom I connected with on Instagram - he made custom decals for his 1/72 Bandai X-Wing based on Ralph McQuarrie's concept art for the X-Wing. You can find this 1/72 X-Wing here

I chatted with CosmoModels a bit, and he scaled down the decals for 1/270-ish use, this is the first of a full squadron-worth of T-65's (this is one view... I'll try to get the other two pictures up soon):

One thing about this upcoming squadron is that it's a combination of decals and (soon) painting and weathering. The pic I attached is just the decals for this T-65, so far.

IMG_20190605_204404.jpg

oh cool, I was just about to start on one of these and I found the Cosmos version, but the more I look at that compared to the MacQuarrie print and another t70 version I found it seems the patterns and orange isn't correct? Did Cosmo say anything about why they deviated?

did this one for a friend, he wanted light blue and orange:

AxVEgebm.jpg

Edited by Burius1981
On 7/26/2019 at 10:50 PM, Ghosthacked said:

oh cool, I was just about to start on one of these and I found the Cosmos version, but the more I look at that compared to the MacQuarrie print and another t70 version I found it seems the patterns and orange isn't correct? Did Cosmo say anything about why they deviated?

He didn't specify why the marking design seems to deviate. From what I gathered on my own, looking at McQuarrie's OT T-65 art, is that the decals are an amalgam of the markings seen in any concept art McQuarrie did for ANH.

Either way, it all looks awesome when they're applied to the starfighters. I'll post pics of the squadron very soon, they've been on my bench in various stages of completion for a while now! :P