Vassal World Cup 2017 battle results

By Green Knight, in Star Wars: Armada Battle Reports

2 hours ago, NebulonB said:

Very quick so that the tourney can continue:

Neb defeated Alex, 7/4, cant remember MOV now, he was second player and we played Nav Hazards.

A great player to play against, true sportsman.

Thx for the tourney, Biggs, also GK for chaperon duties. GL to all in the elimination rounds, especially Pod 2! Next time I try not to lose by 2 and 12 MOV.

Man, so damned close. You literally missed the cut by a combined 14 MOV. Well played, regardless, my friend.

Ginkapo,

I'm not finding a single log file of any of your games this year. Are there any? I wanted to see this train wreck of a fleet everyone is in awe of. It sounds amazingly fun to play and even more so to watch.

4 hours ago, moodswing5537 said:

Ginkapo,

I'm not finding a single log file of any of your games this year. Are there any? I wanted to see this train wreck of a fleet everyone is in awe of. It sounds amazingly fun to play and even more so to watch.

There is only one: Gink vs Alex.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzHz4PoVGi70WjhLZ0IxOXhndnc/view?usp=sharing

JJ's Juggernaut (1st player) vs Maturin

Objective: Sensor Net

Score: 490-169 (MoV 321) win for JJ's Juggernaut

What a game! I vastly underestimated the power of FCT with Sensor Net. I have played Sensor Net several times as second player, but this was my first time as first player. The distance 2 was majorly limiting and the VCXs where able to move the tokens even farther back after the FCT!! This means Maturin was almost guaranteed to score 4 tokens a turn, one for each ship. While his Home One parallel to his side of the board, I had to get into action fast. Yavaris and the Pelta turned away from the fight as well, which put my ships into overdrive to catch up. My JerJer lifeboat went around collecting several tokens during the game, thanks to its uncanny maneuverability.

At the end of turn 2 I threw a few of my squadrons far out in front of me into his fleet to tie down some squadrons. My first command was a squadron command in turn 3, and I was able to lock down the majority of the squadrons and get Mauler to trigger. He didn't last long however, a Yavaris double tap took him out. Meanwhile Jonus, Demo, and a lot of good luck took out the fleeing Pelta (I mean crazy luck, like demo acc/double from long range. Jonus hit/crits the rear for capacitor failure. medium range side arc of Demo + Jonus Hit/crit + Tempest hit + JerJerrod powered ram). This swung the activations in my favor, which kept key ships out of Home One's broadsides. Impetuous moved in to Yavaris's damaged side, and finished it off the top of the next turn with a perfect roll (though I had a side shot to finish it if I needed). It setup to intercept the flotilla the next turn which it killed with a Jonus accuracy. Then with JerJerrod infused move he escaped the Home One's side arc and parked in front of the behemoth. Demo had to weather a broadside, but was able to take it. I returned fire and did good damage, with Demo escaping to the front arc and staying on the table due to JerJerrod. The ISD finished the job with average rolls and a JerJerrod powered ram for the kill and the table.

I lost Mauler, Tempest, Jumpmaster, and Black squadron. I had 6 VP tokens to Maturin's 8. A good game to Matuin. A very gracious opponent! Thanks for the game! I'm sorry JerJerrod and Jonus were such jerks.

Logfile: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gq40pnm17fzchf0/Vassal World Cup 2 JJs vs Maturin.vlog?dl=0

Edited by JJs Juggernaut

Great game JJ - I thought I might have had a chance with my cowardly tactics, but man that crazy Jerjerrod really came through! I have to say that it was a masterclass in navigation, watching you work that crazy two-click first segment.

JJ is a most awesome opponent, and a true gentleman. Thank you for the game as well! :D

Aresius vs. Truthiness ended in 208-87 in favor of Aresius. He was first player and took my Station Assault. He did an excellent job timing last/first with the Liberty, taking out two of my ships right off the bat. Best of luck in the rest of the tourney bud! The game confirmed everything I've found to be wrong with my list over the last month. Time to tweak it in time for Regionals =) Log file to follow.

Log file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vgsl78u6nyhyn3e/Aresius vs Truthiness (Elimination Round 1).vlog?dl=0

Edited by Truthiness

Miedomeda V CaribbeanNinja came down to one CF shot from a Gozanti to a crippled Motti ISD! Mied popped it with two crits!

We played my Solar Corona and the action took place all on the right side of the board.

MOV was 4!

Great game and a great opponent. Good luck against JJ, Mied!

Biggs, as always it has been a pleasure being part of this. Thank you so much for putting this together!

GK vs Ard. We did a die toss for initiative and Ard got it and picked 1st player. We did my MW.

Result: win for GK.

We halted on turn 5 and didn't bother counting MoV once it became obvious who would win.

Kind of a weird game, in that I was very much outdeployed and outactivated, and therefore on the back foot the whole time. But then Admo completely whiffed it's first run, failing to kill both the MW flotilla AND my raider. We joked that he'd used up the bad rolls and I'd get all the HIT/CRITS. Which I did, when Demo made an extremely fortunate run on a plain MC that tried to shield his MW Lando MC. Granted, I had both Vader and OE, but Ard really had used up all the bad dice on his run. His next attempt at the MW flot and the Raider (with another MC) ended about the same, and only a previous ram finally brought down the raider. On my end dice were crap when it came to squadron bombing (0 hits total), but much better with ships (definitely Vader MVP). I couldn't take out any more MC due to their speed and agility, but got a couple of flotillas near the end.

This is were we declared game's end. Both MW ships still alive. 2 MCs hurt, but not dead.

58e171075ddfaa80a68a6f4be37a81f0.png

Scoreboard updated: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PAzlCIENFYzlVSvHvpFNcB-NhXqg0BNB3Gzt0tJtFkA/edit?usp=sharing

Elmimination Round Quarter-Finals Semi-Finals Finals Winner Finals Semi-Finals Quarter-Finals Elimination Round
MattShadowlord JJsJuggernaut
PT106 Maturin
JJsJuggernaut
Miedomeda
Ginkapo Caribbean Ninja
Zanos Miedomeda
Green Knight Truthiness
Ardaedhel Aresius
Green Knight Aresius
Mdh Roquax
Skycake JRockNZ
13 hours ago, Green Knight said:

GK vs Ard. We did a die toss for initiative and Ard got it and picked 1st player. We did my MW.

Result: win for GK.

We halted on turn 5 and didn't bother counting MoV once it became obvious who would win.

Kind of a weird game, in that I was very much outdeployed and outactivated, and therefore on the back foot the whole time. But then Admo completely whiffed it's first run, failing to kill both the MW flotilla AND my raider. We joked that he'd used up the bad rolls and I'd get all the HIT/CRITS. Which I did, when Demo made an extremely fortunate run on a plain MC that tried to shield his MW Lando MC. Granted, I had both Vader and OE, but Ard really had used up all the bad dice on his run. His next attempt at the MW flot and the Raider (with another MC) ended about the same, and only a previous ram finally brought down the raider. On my end dice were crap when it came to squadron bombing (0 hits total), but much better with ships (definitely Vader MVP). I couldn't take out any more MC due to their speed and agility, but got a couple of flotillas near the end.

This is were we declared game's end. Both MW ships still alive. 2 MCs hurt, but not dead.

58e171075ddfaa80a68a6f4be37a81f0.png

Log files . Two because I dc'd partway through.

Skycake and I played a spirited game of Blockade Run last night.

The story of the game was that his kitted out VSD got a little too far in front of his fireball. It was basically subjected to a brutal round of near perfect-rolling Jendon enhanced bombing leaving it without shields or defense tokens by the end of round 2 and dead in early round 3. The remaining fireball exacted some vengeance on my Demolisher , burning it to the ground before Vader and Stele started to rip into his squadrons.

The game was called in the middle of turn 5 after Jerjerrods flotilla was destroyed and his demolisher failed to kill a raider placed in its front arc preventing it from getting its deadly side arcs into play and prepping it for its timely escape past the blockade.

MHD casualties: Demolisher

Skycake casualties: VSD, Jerjerod, 2 or 3 firesprays, 2 jumpmasters

5 hours ago, mhd said:

Skycake and I played a spirited game of Blockade Run last night.

The story of the game was that his kitted out VSD got a little too far in front of his fireball. It was basically subjected to a brutal round of near perfect-rolling Jendon enhanced bombing leaving it without shields or defense tokens by the end of round 2 and dead in early round 3. The remaining fireball exacted some vengeance on my Demolisher , burning it to the ground before Vader and Stele started to rip into his squadrons.

The game was called in the middle of turn 5 after Jerjerrods flotilla was destroyed and his demolisher failed to kill a raider placed in its front arc preventing it from getting its deadly side arcs into play and prepping it for its timely escape past the blockade.

MHD casualties: Demolisher

Skycake casualties: VSD, Jerjerod, 2 or 3 firesprays, 2 jumpmasters

Way to represent Pod 5 mhd!!! My losses to you and JJ are becoming more tolerable every round you two advance in. :D

POD 5 was a beast of a POD. 3 pre-qualifiers. JJ's. And Mhd popping out and making his name somewhat known despite me spelling it wrong for the first half of the tournament.

JJs vs Miedomeda (1st Player)

Objective: Sensor Net

JJs wins with a concession at the end of turn 4. I had the lead in sensor tokens and with two Gozanti's and Miedomeda's Raider killed he wouldn';t be able to catch up to my ships to do enough damage to win the game. It was also 2:30 AM for him, so it was quicker to end it. A well played game by Miedomeda, but thanks to some bad rolls with his initial Demolisher pass I was able to escape with my ISD, which was the main target of his attack.

Logfile: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t83m8wwr7l1ffhb/Vassal World Cup 2 JJs vs Miedomeda.vlog?dl=0

On 19/01/2017 at 0:32 PM, Ginkapo said:

Ginkapo vs Aresius 147 MOV 8-3

Played Aresius' Capture the VIP.

Should write this up tomorrow

Ginkapo, did this ever get written up and was there a log file created?

GK vs mhd ends with a win for GK.

mhd opted to go 2nd and we played his Blockade Run.

Logfile and more tomorrow, but first a shutout for the most sporting player of all time: mhd.

More on that tomorrow too, suffice to say it involved the biggest brain fart of all time.

8 hours ago, Green Knight said:

GK vs mhd ends with a win for GK.

mhd opted to go 2nd and we played his Blockade Run.

Logfile and more tomorrow, but first a shutout for the most sporting player of all time: mhd.

More on that tomorrow too, suffice to say it involved the biggest brain fart of all time.

Let's start with the brainfart: we set up, we played for a while, until I finally realized (round 4 or something) that I had completely goofed. Not a single shot had been fired and both fleets seemed happy to avoid one another. I was totally in CC Hyperlane Mode. I had even put objective markers on my ships. Possibly the single most stupid round of Armada ever. I offered to concede, since there was no way for me to salvage anything. Actually no way for there to be a single shot fired at all. Mhd declined and offered to star over, rewinding back to after obstacle placement and going from there.

---

Take 2 was much more violent:

Link to logfile: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0sueo69wo74xrbk/GK vs mhd.vlog?dl=0

I split my forces in two, hoping to delay bomber engagement for as long as possible, and offering up my ISD as bait to preserve my smaller ships.

The end result was a major victory for me, but that ISD very, very nearly died (I expected to lose it). Jendon + Maarek is a vile combination. Or Jendon with anything hard-hitting really. And relay makes squadrons so much better.

MVP for me was Vader again. OE + Vader is cruel. And ISD-II with Vader and a CF at medium range is just the death of most small ships. With XI7 you really only need 1 acc to 1-shot a gladiator or raider.

Edited by Green Knight

JRock Vs Aresius ends with a win for Aresius. (Fighter assault but we forgot to score it)

Liberty and ISD squared up in the middle of the engagement zone in turn 2. The ISD got a single round of shooting before ending up a smouldering wreck drifting in space after a last/first and double ram by the liberty. Aresius's squadrons were able to swarm the decimators taking minimal return fire. I was able to take out a couple of helpless transports but unable to put even a dent on Aresuis's liberty sledgehammer hammer.

Game ended in turn 5 after another last/first double ram from the liberty against the interdictor resulting in the gozanti, on 1 hull, also being destroyed.

learnings:

• be less aggressive
  • wait to use G8's when determine course being applied for ET's

Well played Aresius and good luck for the next round.

Log file for those that want to see the carnage: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwtueTxAoSbeMGFwelItcXdKcE0/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzHz4PoVGi70aDFaQ0lNRXV5YUE/view?usp=sharing

272 - 134 Matt Victory.

I incorrectly chose second player.

Matt surprised me with Jamming Barrier and I had forgotten what my plan for that objective was, ( I have since remembered), so I placed obstacles badly.

I deployed badly. Not wide enough apart.

And then....

And then Matt complemented my deployment.

Bouyed by this I didnt stop to think but went all out on taking out those pitiful Assault Frigates. I havent played Ackbar frigates in so long that I forgot the golden rule, dont sit in their side arcs.... I mean who wastes Ackbar on red dice? Black dice, blue dice, MOAR red dice!

Simply, I needed to deploy wider and trap both the rear and front of his ships in a pincer. 6am wasnt kind to me.

1 hour ago, Ginkapo said:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzHz4PoVGi70aDFaQ0lNRXV5YUE/view?usp=sharing

272 - 134 Matt Victory.

I incorrectly chose second player.

Matt surprised me with Jamming Barrier and I had forgotten what my plan for that objective was, ( I have since remembered), so I placed obstacles badly.

I deployed badly. Not wide enough apart.

And then....

And then Matt complemented my deployment.

Bouyed by this I didnt stop to think but went all out on taking out those pitiful Assault Frigates. I havent played Ackbar frigates in so long that I forgot the golden rule, dont sit in their side arcs.... I mean who wastes Ackbar on red dice? Black dice, blue dice, MOAR red dice!

Simply, I needed to deploy wider and trap both the rear and front of his ships in a pincer. 6am wasnt kind to me.

WOW. This was the one matchup I expected to be a shoo-in for you. Very well-played by Matt, who drives those AF2's better than anybody I've ever seen.

And with that, every other person still in the tourney breathes a collective sigh of relief at not having to face the rammy madness.

We could all just accept it was a shoe in and let me priceed to the next round. Matt cant beat demo anyway.

Nah, look at deployment, you will see the error. Most wont

I had to watch that as I have been deeply worried your list could break the game !

When we tested the double ram some time ago, it was in an environment full of Victory, and blast door did not exist.

So, I read your post with excitement , seeing that you lost to a list that was not particularly well fitted (not that bad either ... only 3x6 hull, but big gunnery teams and rogue bombers) It did not feel that the game was that badly lost in the deployment phase.

For me, the whole game lies in the movement where you place the corvette 1 in front of Ackbar, shielding it for what would have been the following rams after Ackbar dodges this corvette.

So much for my excitement. But this also gave me hope, as it shows the list is kind-of-unforgiving, while very strong. It also kind of held the feeling that the list could be beaten by conventional means.

It was a heck of a game, and frankly I was surprised to win it.

So, I read your post with excitement , seeing that you lost to a list that was not particularly well fitted (not that bad either ... only 3x6 hull, but big gunnery teams and rogue bombers) It did not feel that the game was that badly lost in the deployment phase.

For me, the whole game lies in the movement where you place the corvette 1 in front of Ackbar, shielding it for what would have been the following rams after Ackbar dodges this corvette.

So much for my excitement. But this also gave me hope, as it shows the list is kind-of-unforgiving, while very strong. It also kind of held the feeling that the list could be beaten by conventional means.

I've mixed feelings on this.

To be completely honest, I don't like Ramspam lists like this one. No offense meant to Ginkapo; his list is excellent, and the addition of Reinforced Blast Doors to the 4 corvettes with Engine Tech is a masterstroke that elevates them to the next level of competitiveness. There's no way to get around the fact that this will trample many fleets that rely on shields though, especially Rebels. Mc30 fleets might as well pack up.

The path I took right between the asteroids in order to get a rock between a ship and the rammers paid off, but the ship was still inevitably destroyed. In critically reviewing the game later I was satisfied with every part of my deployment, angles and moves, especially the near miss rock moves and activation order, but even so it could have easily gone south vs this fleet.

To put it another way, if we replayed I think Ginkapo would probably win with a wipe out and it would serve as a better illustration of the danger of the Rieekan Ramspam fleet.

But that is a problem for another day and another game! :D

30 minutes ago, MattShadowlord said:

It was a heck of a game, and frankly I was surprised to win it.

I've mixed feelings on this.

To be completely honest, I don't like Ramspam lists like this one. No offense meant to Ginkapo; his list is excellent, and the addition of Reinforced Blast Doors to the 4 corvettes with Engine Tech is a masterstroke that elevates them to the next level of competitiveness. There's no way to get around the fact that this will trample many fleets that rely on shields though, especially Rebels. Mc30 fleets might as well pack up.

The path I took right between the asteroids in order to get a rock between a ship and the rammers paid off, but the ship was still inevitably destroyed. In critically reviewing the game later I was satisfied with every part of my deployment, angles and moves, especially the near miss rock moves and activation order, but even so it could have easily gone south vs this fleet.

To put it another way, if we replayed I think Ginkapo would probably win with a wipe out and it would serve as a better illustration of the danger of the Rieekan Ramspam fleet.

But that is a problem for another day and another game! :D

Well, I still strongly dislike what this list means for the game. I am actually thankful to Ginkapo to have brought it up anyway. And I agree with you that it should have won this match.

It's extremely strong while making a very side concept like ... shooting (!) irrelevant. But at least it's not a no brainer to fly and a wrong move can screw up everything.

Edited by Fanfan
typos :)