Ideas for Timescape Reimagined

By Aarontu, in Talisman Home Brews

One more idea (In a creative mood here) while I'm on my dinner break.

The Well of Worlds

Each wizard sees this place differently: as a hall of doors, as a forest of pools, as a city of strange aspect, or whatever. To the wise it grants a shortcut. To the foolish, it acts as a maze.

Roll three dice against your Strength and three dice against your Craft. If the total of each roll is less than the associated value, you succeed. If not, you fail.

Success: You have found a secret route to the Crown of Command. You may immediately discard three Realmkey tokens and move to the Crown of Command Space. If you don’t have enough tokens to do this, you gain an additional Realmkey token instead.

Failure: You are lost within the Well. Miss one Turn and discard all your Realmkey tokens. If you have no Realmkey Tokens, lose one Life instead.

I really like this idea. How about we add a third result:

The Well of Worlds

Each wizard sees this place differently: as a hall of doors, as a forest of pools, as a city of strange aspect, or whatever. To the wise it grants a shortcut. To the foolish, it acts as a maze.

Roll three dice against your Strength and three dice against your Craft. If the total of a roll is less than the associated value, the roll is a success. If both rolls are higher than the associated value, it is a failure.

2 Successes: You have found a secret route to the Crown of Command. You may immediately discard three Realmkey tokens and move to the Crown of Command Space. If you don’t have enough tokens to do this, you gain an additional Realmkey token instead.

1 Success: You find hidden paths to strange worlds. On your next turn, you may draw 3 Realm cards and pick one to encounter. Discard the rest.

Failure: You are lost within the Well. Miss one Turn and discard all your Realmkey tokens. If you have no Realmkey Tokens, lose one Life instead.

These are some really great ideas! I hope you don't mind if I go ahead and make some of them into realms, maybe with some tweaks.

I know that idea behind this to to replace "Timescape", but you may consider another name, since this is shaping up to be very different a place. Perhaps "The Mystic Relams", or some such.

Otherwise, the idea bedind this is fantastic. I'll brainstorm for ideas on cards, although I'm more of your theme maker than rules balencer in this case.

I'll note that there are small spaces on the boad between "realm" boards on the short edges. If the board(s) for this could be made to fill one or both of those, it would be brilliant.

I've been recreating the Timescape characters in another thread as some will know. Genen the themes, this expansion could conceaveably form a useful home for them.

Thanks! As for the name, I've thought about calling it "Planescape", or "Realmscape" instead of "Timescape", since it is turning out to be quite different than the original Timescape. I'd prefer this to be separate from the main board, though. I'd love to see something fit in between the expansion boards in those little spaces, but probably not this expansion.

I'd go with Realmscape from those.

In my head it's "The Astral Realms", since that ties in with the PoD "Realm" expansions!

You'll need some way to get there if we're not using the dead gaps...

Astral Travel (4 copies)

Spell

Play this card instead of moving in order to move to the [Timescape].

If you are already in the [Timescape] you may play this card when drawing [Timescape] cards. Draw an extra card, choose one to encounter, and place the rest on the bottom of the [Timescape] deck.

Astral Gate (2 copies)

Place/adventure

This unusual portal leads to other places of unusual aspect, beyond the ken of the unenlightened.

Characters who start their turn here may move to the [Timescape] instead of moving normally.

Rainbow Bridge (1 copy)

Place/adventure

The bridge leads to strange realms.

You may attempt to cross the bridge by rolling two dice. If you roll less than your Craft, you suceed and immediately enter the [Timescape], resolving a [Timescape] card.

Abyssal Gate (1 copy)

Place/adventure

The gate leads to strage realms.

You may pass through the gate by rolling two dice. If you roll less than your Strength, you duceed and imediately enter the [Timescape], resolving a [Timescape] card.

Astral Key (1 copy)

Magic Object/adventure

Instead of moving normally, you may discard this card to move to the [Timescape].

If you start your turn in the [Timescape] you may discard this card to move to any Runes Space.

Astral Wand (1 copy)

Magic Object/adventure

Instead of moving normally, you may discard this card to move to the [Timescape].

If you are already in the [Timescape] you may play this card when drawing [Timescape] cards. Draw an extra card, choose one to encounter, and place the rest on the bottom of the [Timescape] deck.

These are good ideas. I was originally thinking, and will probably keep with it for myself at least, that characters could go to the Realmscape through a Rune Gate. The "Astral Journey" spell included in the Cataclysm expansion could also let you move to the Realmscape if you choose.

Something like:

*When using a Rune Gate, you may move to the Realmscape instead of a Runes space.

*After successfully casting "Astral Journey", a character may move to the Realmscape.

This is mostly me not wanting to add cards to existing decks since their card backs won't exactly match. And so I won't have to fish the cards out of the deck if I am not using the Realmscape.

*After successfully casting "Astral Journey", a character may move to the Realmscape.

This is mostly me not wanting to add cards to existing decks since their card backs won't exactly match. And so I won't have to fish the cards out of the deck if I am not using the Realmscape.

While it is a potential problem, I've done a grand total of 12 Adventure and 4 Spell cards. Not very many, especially if someone has a LOT of expansions. They can easily just be ditched & re-drawn if not using the Realmscape.

That said, your Runegate idea does work nicely regardless, and I think that should be added in anyway.

Some time and a little effort gives us this:

Realmscape%20Board.png

Looks good. How many cards can send you to a Runes space? Are there any besides Rune Gate? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

I would remove "you may" from the text on the bottom.

Looks good. How many cards can send you to a Runes space? Are there any besides Rune Gate? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

I would remove "you may" from the text on the bottom.

I don't know of any, but I'm ensuring all cases are caught here. Forward compatibility and all that.

updated with better wordings (easy since I made the PS file already):

Realmscape%20Board_2.png

Here's some more realm cards, plus an updated Elemental Planes realm:

pic3324309.png

pic3324310.png

pic3324311.png

pic3324312.png

Some more potential realm ideas:

Halls of the Valiant

Basically the Talisman version of Valhalla. You cannot lose your last Life here, and followers cannot be killed here. It's like the Tavern, except everyone has high strength and wants to pick a fight with you.

Crystal City

An interplanar city where you can possibly draw multiple City cards or buy things from City shop decks. Add 2 to the attack roll of enemies here. If instructed to go to Jail or move to another space, lose 2 Life instead.

Fairyland

A realm inhabited by fae and other fairy folk.

The Wildlands

A realm of lush rainforests and wide savannas inhabited by animals of all kinds, including dinosaurs, giant worms, etc.

The Dreamlands

Here are two more, great realm card ideas from Slev:

pic3369513.png

Typo on #4 above; it should say "Fate" instead of "Followers. I have updated my personal files to fix it.

pic3369514.png

Edited by Aarontu

I'm updating the "main game cards" bit of my ideas to make them more balanced and useful.
This also now has it's cards in sets of sixteen to accomodate the current PoD method for talisman sized cards.

Abyssal Fiend (2 copies)

Adventure/Enemy S6

A creature of nightmare has burrowed into our existence from another plain.

If you defeat this Enemy, you may gain one Realmkey token or two Gold.

Abyssal Gate (1 copy)

Place/adventure

The gate leads to strange realms.

You may pass through the gate by rolling two dice. If you roll less than your Strength, you succeed and immediately enter the Realmscape, resolving a Realmscape card.
Alternatively, you may attempt to move to the Dungeon Entrance or City Gate, but test with only one dice.

Abyssal Priest (1 copy)

Stranger

A strange cleric is preaching here and will remain here until discarded.

The Astromancer will send Characters into the Realmscape for one gold.

The Astromancer will send evil or neutral Characters into the Realmscape for one gold.

He will also allow an evil or neutral Character to draw Spells (up to their limit) for one Gold each.

Astral Key (1 copy)

Magic Object/adventure

Instead of moving normally, you may discard this card to move to the Realmscape.
If you start your turn in the Realmscape you may discard this card to move to any Runes Space.

If you start your turn on a Runes Space you may discard this card to move to any space on the outer or middle region.

Astral Fiend (2 copies)

Adventure/Enemy C6

A mind-bending horror has entered our existence from another reality.

If you defeat this Enemy, you may gain one Realmkey token or two Gold.

Astral Gate (2 copies)

Place/adventure

This unusual portal leads to other places of unusual aspect, beyond the ken of the unenlightened.

Characters who start their turn here may move to the Realmscape instead of moving normally.
Alternatively, you may move to any space on the outer or middle region.

Astral Power (2 copies)

Spell

Discard this card when rolling dice to resolve a Realmscape card. You may roll an extra die and then discard up to one die of choice.

You may discard this card to initiate Psychic Combat, or to add an extra die to your score during Psychic Combat.

Astral Travel (2 copies)
Spell

If you are rolling the dice for movement, discard this card to pick which number the dice lands on.

Play this card instead of moving in order to move to the Realmscape.
If you are already in the Realmscape you may play this card when drawing Realmscape cards. Draw two extra cards, choose one to encounter, and place the rest on the bottom of the Realmscape deck.

Astral Wand (1 copy)

Magic Object/adventure

Instead of moving normally, you may discard this card to move to the Realmscape.
If you are already in the Realmscape you may discard this card when drawing Realmscape cards. Draw two extra cards, choose one to encounter, and place the rest on the bottom of the Realmscape deck.

You may alternatively discard this card to replenish your full hand of Spell Cards, OR to initiate Psychic Combat.

Astromancer (1 Copy)

Stranger

A strange wizard is camped here and will remain here until discarded.

The Astromancer will send good or neutral Characters into the Realmscape for one gold.

He will also allow a good or neutral Character to replenish Fate (up to their starting value) for one Gold each.

Rainbow Bridge (1 copy)

Place/adventure

The bridge leads to strange realms.

You may attempt to cross the bridge by rolling two dice. If you roll less than your Craft, you succeed and immediately enter the Realmscape, resolving a Realmscape card.
Alternatively, you may attempt to move to the Highlands Entrance or Woodlands Entrance, but test with only one dice.

In theory, we can add a six card "expansion expansion" to this, two cards like the astral gate, but the alt use takes you to the four corner realms, then a card for each realm that leads to the Realmscape, or the middle region as an alt effect.

Edited by Slev

I've been really busy lately, and the new Asmodee login page is blocked at work, which makes it harder for me to write on the forum.

Here's some more drafts for Realm cards, though. Feel free to give feedback:

The Tavern at the End of the Universe
You find yourself in a tavern frequented by demigods and powerful sorcerers.
Roll 1 die. If your Craft is at least 7, you may raise or lower the result by 1.
1 - You get drunk and pick a fight with a demigod. Lose 2 Life.
2 - You get tipsy and get in a fight with a renowned sorcerer (Craft 9)
3 - You gamble and lose 3 gold or 1 object.
4 - You gamble and win either 3 gold or any object from the purchase deck.
5 - A wizard offers to help you through the Realmscape. On your next turn, draw 3 Realm cards and pick one to encounter.
6 - A powerful Norn offers to teleport you to the Legendary Realm card of your choice on your Next turn.

Celestial Realm
If you are Evil: Lose 1 Life and then fight a Seraph (Craft 10)
If you are Neutral: An angelic being decides to test your faith (Psychic combat, Craft 8). If you lose, do not lose a Life. If you win, you may pray using the chart below.
If you are Good: Heal all of your Life and then pray by rolling 1 die:
1 - Ignored
2 - Gain 1 Life
3 - Gain 2 Fate
4 - Gain 1 Craft
5 - Gain your full compliment of spells
6 - The heavenly host offer to help you if you fight as one of their champions. Gain 1 Realmkey. Then you may move to the Astral Demon if you wish.

Demonic Realm
If you are Good: Lose 1 Life and then fight a Demon (Craft 10)
If you are Neutral: An lesser demon attacks you (Craft 8). If you win, you may pray using the chart below.
If you are Evil: Replenish all of your fate and then pray by rolling 1 die:
1 - Ignored
2 - Gain 1 Life
3 - Gain 2 Fate
4 - Gain 1 Strength
5 - Gain your full compliment of spells
6 - The demonic horde offer to help you if you fight as one of their champions. Gain 1 Realmkey. Then you may move to the Demigod if you wish.

I thought I would resurrect this thread, and also post something I'm working on right now ;)

85969c85eded7d64med.png e6b779fbbc2be3f2med.png

Nice! (more templates from abubu?)

I was (am still) working on a thing for Talisman: The Horus Heresy and thought about using "anodised metal" borders instead of metallic ones classically used in the game. I wondered if it was a bit of a jump in style, but it works really well on these. I might resurrect my work on that seeing as I am bereft* of projects at the moment.

*not really bereft, more that I can't decide which ones to work on! :)

This frame really has Tau vibe to it doesn't it?

Yes, template made by Abubu :)

On 3/10/2017 at 1:42 AM, Bludgeon said:

I thought I would resurrect this thread, and also post something I'm working on right now ;)

85969c85eded7d64med.png e6b779fbbc2be3f2med.png

Those are gorgeous! Are those templates PS only, or are they available for Strange Eons?

As far as I know those are PS only now, but Abubu is working on porting them to Strange Eons 3.

That would definitely be exciting! Do you have a link to where the Abubu templates are? :)

He's creating them for a specific project, I was given permission to use this one for Timescape (because Timescape is awesome).

He's creating them for a specific project, I was given permission to use this one for Timescape (because Timescape is awesome).

326f8a84827355f8med.png

Edited by Bludgeon

Cool! Well, I'm loving the cards! Please keep posting. :)

Sure :)

301d0b96281fae78.png 88b7e2e01c22739e.png

Edited by Bludgeon

So far I have 48 cards.

Events:
- Alien Spores, Supernova, Warp Storm (x2)

Enemies (Strength)
- Astral Hound, Behemoth, Chaos Marine, Cyborg, Necron, Ork Warlord, Plague Marine, Razide, Space Orks, Space Pirate, Star Predator, Sun Worm, Tau Fire Warrior

Enemies (Craft)
- Eldar Autarch, Eldar Harlequin, Neurothrope, Psychic Parasite, Psyker, Space Vampire, Void Witch, Will o' Wisp

Strangers
- Astropath, Omnipotent Being, Rogue Trader, Scientist, Tech-Priest, Time Traveller

Objects
- Alien Artifact, Battle Armour, Chainsword, Chameleon Suit, Holomap, Jet Pack, Medikit, Plasma Gun, Power Glove, Psi-Helmet

Followers
- Archeologist, Battle Droid, Chainsaw Warrior, M.U.L.E., Symbiote

Places
- Rad Zone, Time Loop

Edited by Bludgeon

There are some new ones in there that weren't in the Original Timescape. :)

You up for posting some of those?

In return, some Stranger Things. . .

Eleven-Front-Face.png

There are some new ones in there that weren't in the Original Timescape. :)

Of course. With only original ones the deck would be very small (even smaller if you remove duplicates). Also, there's no point in not adding new cards since I had to change some of the originals.

You up for posting some of those?

I'll post a few per day.

In return, some Stranger Things. . .

Very cool :)

Hi All,

I just signed up here to post some info about templates I made recently.

On 11.03.2017 at 8:25 PM, Earl Wynn said:

Those are gorgeous! Are those templates PS only, or are they available for Strange Eons?

Thanks :) I'm not using Strange Eons ... so ... yes, only PS ... but ...

On 11.03.2017 at 9:41 PM, Bludgeon said:

(...) but Abubu is working on porting them to Strange Eons 3.

... I don't ... Arthan is preparing plugin for this project.

On 12.03.2017 at 8:53 PM, Earl Wynn said:

(...) Do you have a link to where the Abubu templates are? :)

You can find all (currently 9) of them here (our [polish community] forum, only for registered users).

On 12.03.2017 at 9:12 PM, Bludgeon said:

Yes, those templates are made for "Talisman: Magia i Miecz - Konflikt". You (all of you) can use them in your projects. In such case, please use some "expansion icon".

Some additional info:

• In ZIP files you can find:
    • PSD file (300dpi) with layered/grouped elements, so easy to edit
    • PNG files in 4 versions (small/big image with/withouth encounter number field)
  • All 9 templates are based on Hearthstone cards back
  • If you have some questions/requests, you can contact with me directly via our polish forum (link is in my profile) or you can ask Bludgeon to do so in your name (I believe he will not be mad for this). I do not know if I will be visiting here often.

Edited by abubu-pl

Ooops ... you must be registered user to browse our forum, so just PM me if you want some template PSD/PNG ... and below you can check current templates preview:

frakcja-harmonia-podgl%C4%85d.png frakcja-harmonia-rewers.png

frakcja-l%C3%B3d-podgl%C4%85d.png frakcja-l%C3%B3d-rewers.png

frakcja-mrok-podgl%C4%85d.png frakcja-mrok-rewers.png

frakcja-natura-podgl%C4%85d.png frakcja-natura-rewers.png

frakcja-nekromancja-podgl%C4%85d.png frakcja-nekromancja-rewers.png

frakcja-post%C4%99p-podgl%C4%85d.png frakcja-post%C4%99p-rewers.png

frakcja-%C5%9Bwiat%C5%82o%C5%9B%C4%87-po frakcja-%C5%9Bwiat%C5%82o%C5%9B%C4%87-re

frakcja-wybrze%C5%BCe-podgl%C4%85d.png frakcja-wybrze%C5%BCe-rewers.png

frakcja-%C5%BCar-podgl%C4%85d.png frakcja-%C5%BCar-rewers.png

Those are really beautiful! :)