Ideas for Timescape Reimagined

By Aarontu, in Talisman Home Brews

I use all proper fonts (inc. caxton) in photoshop.

For endings, you can go a bit generic and go with one demon, one elemental, one demigod etc.

Would they really be different enough to justify making three separate endings, though? I'm not sure what to do for an elemental encounter besides just a combat.

Here's another draft/idea. I'll go back and edit some of these when we figure out different endings or if I figure out how to font.

pic3293832.png

For endings, you can go a bit generic and go with one demon, one elemental, one demigod etc.

Would they really be different enough to justify making three separate endings, though? I'm not sure what to do for an elemental encounter besides just a combat.

And how different are dragon lords from each other? Each is just a combat.

And how different are dragon lords from each other? Each is just a combat.

That's true. How about this for some kind of elemental thing:

The elemental thingy has Strength and Craft 8. Add one to its attack roll for each Timescape token you have.

If you win, gain 1 Strength or Craft and discard all Timescape tokens. For each token discarded, gain 1 Strength, Craft, Life, Fate, or Spell. Move to any Runes space.

If you lose, in addition to losing 1 Life, lose 1 Strength or Craft and move to any Runes space. Discard all Timescape tokens.

As for a God or Demigod type encounter, maybe if you win he gives you a Talisman or other magic object(s).

The elemental thingy has Strength and Craft 8. Add one to its attack roll for each Timescape token you have.

How about a plane like nirvana where you can meet the old characters lost in the 4th edi like Samurai, Drow, Ork like the Denizen Deck from Cataclysm

Timescape tokens are supposed to help you, not hinder you.

I guess another way to do it would be to have the end bosses a work similarly, but the Elemental Titan or whatever be high Craft and the Demigod be high Strength (similar to the Dragon Kings). One thing I want to avoid, though, is the possibility to stay in Timescape for too long, as that was one thing I didn't like about the original Timescape.

Maybe one way to prevent people from staying in Timescape indefinitely is to have several Realm cards that force players to encounter a Timescape ending if they have at least 4 Timescape tokens. And we could probably drop the requirement to have at least 3 Timescape tokens to go to an ending, since they can be punishing enough if you don't have many tokens.

Thoughts?

You could have cards to encounter that would dump you out of the TS unless you discard a TS token to negate it.

That would put more value on the tokens, and also help with people setting up house there.

Here's some more realm card ideas I'll work on making when I get some time in front of my computer:

Demigod

(ending)

Fight the Demigod with either Strength or Craft. It has 19 Strength and 14 Craft. Add 1 to your attack roll for each Timescape token you have.

If you defeat the Demigod, gain either 2 Strength or Craft. Move to any Runes space. Discard all of your Timescape tokens. For every 2 tokens discarded, gain a Talisman or a Warlock's Quest Reward.

If you are defeated, in addition to losing 1 Life, discard all of your fate. Discard all of your Timescape tokens and move to any Runes space.

Elemental Titan (?)

(ending)

Fight the Demigod with either Strength or Craft. It has 14 Strength and 19 Craft. Add 1 to your attack roll for each Timescape token you have.

If you defeat the Elemental Titan, gain either 2 Strength or Craft. Move to any Runes space. Discard all of your Timescape tokens. For every 2 tokens discarded, gain 1 Strength, gain 1 Craft, or gain 1 Life and 1 Fate.

If you are defeated, in addition to losing 1 Life, lose 1 Strength or Craft. Discard all of your Timescape tokens and move to any Runes space.

Mysterious Portal

If you have 4 or more Timescape tokens, you must immediately move to a Timescape ending of your choice.

Otherwise, roll 1 die. You may discard all Timescape tokens to choose the result instead of rolling:

1) Stay in the Timescape. 2) Move to Lost City 3) Move to Summoning Circle 4-6) Move to any Runes space.

Lost in Time and Space

If you have 4 or more Timescape tokens, you must immediately move to the Aether Demon.

Otherwise, discard 1 follower or 1 object.

Elemental Vortex

If you have 4 or more Timescape tokens, you must immediately move to the Elemental Titan.

Otherwise, discard 1 spell or 1 Life.

The End of Time

If you have 4 or more Timescape tokens, you must immediately move to the Demigod.

Otherwise, discard 1 Fate or 1 trophy.

I know that idea behind this to to replace "Timescape", but you may consider another name, since this is shaping up to be very different a place. Perhaps "The Mystic Relams", or some such.

Otherwise, the idea bedind this is fantastic. I'll brainstorm for ideas on cards, although I'm more of your theme maker than rules balencer in this case.

I'll note that there are small spaces on the boad between "realm" boards on the short edges. If the board(s) for this could be made to fill one or both of those, it would be brilliant.

I've been recreating the Timescape characters in another thread as some will know. Genen the themes, this expansion could conceaveably form a useful home for them.

Some ideas, use them, adapt them, igore them, whatever.

Djinn's Palace
An aundience with the king of the Genies may provide you with aid, if you can keep your wits about you!
Roll one die and add your Craft:
2-4: You word your request poorly. The player to your right chooses if you lose one Strength or lose one Craft
3-7: Your words backfitre. Choose if you lose one Strength or lose one Craft
8-10: Your words where unclear. The player to your right chooses if you gain one Fate or lose two Gold
11-12: You words are innacurate. The player to your right chooses if you gain one Strength or gain one Craft
13+: Your words are perfect! You may chose to gain one of the following: 2 Fate, 3 Gold, 1 Strength, 1 Craft, a Talisman.

The Guardians of Fate
The servents of the Norns watch those who's threads are marked.
You may NOT use Fate here.
Roll 2 dice. You must roll equal to or less than your Fate togain the notice of the Guardians.
Success: You gain 2 Fate. When you next draw a Timescape card, draw two cards, pick one to encounter and place the nother one on the bottom of the deck.
Failure: Unworthy! Lose all your Fate. If you have no fate to lose, lose one life as your thread wears thin!

Ogre Mountain
Great brutes rule this place, only by showing yor might can you win through!
Roll 3 dice. If you roll equal to or less than your Strength, you can impress the Ogres.
Success: The Ogres show you the way forward, and you gain one Strength.
Failure: You are imprisoned and must miss one turn.

World Tree
From the branches hang many, many worlds. Can you find your way through?
Roll 2 dice. If you roll equal to or less than your Craft, you find the world you are looking for.
Success: You may exit the Timescape to any space not in the inner region. If you have three Timescape Tokens you may move to any Timescape Ending of your choice.
Failure: the world you find is further from your destination. Discard one Timescape Token.

Realm of Memory
Starting with the player to your left, each player picks one discarded Adventure card. You must then fight all these cards this turn.
If you defeat all these cards, you may gain one of either Strength, Craft, Life, Gold, or Fate.
Any undeafeated Adventure Cards from the Real of Memory are discarded at the end of your turn.

Labyrinth of Time
You must traverse a maze that has no walls.
Roll one die and add your Craft:
2-6: You emerge in the future and must miss your next two turns
7-1: You emerge in the future and must miss your next turn
8-11: You emerge in the present. Gain one Craft.
13+: You emerge in the past! You may take an extra turn immediately.

Spellblasted Wastes
This realm has been destroyed by magic, the chaotic powers of which still twist all who enter it.
Roll one die:
1. Gain 1 Strength
2. Lose 1 Craft
3. Lose 1 Fate or 2 Lives
4. Lose 2 Fate or 1 Life
5. Lose 1 Strength
6. Gain 1 Craft

Edited by Slev

Realm of Memory

Starting with the player to your left, each player picks one discarded Adventure card. You must then fight all these cards this turn.

If you defeat all these cards, you may gain one of either Strength, Craft, Life, Gold, or Fate.

Any undeafeated Adventure Cards from the Real of Memory are discarded at the end of your turn.

Mist of Memories

Starting with the player to your left and going clockwise, each player takes an Enemy card from any discard pile and places it before you. You must then fight all those Enemies.

Success: If you win, discard the Enemies instead of taking them as trophies and you gain 1 Strength and 1 Craft.

Failure: You lose 1 life.

Spellblasted Wastes

This realm has been destroyed by magic, the chaotic powers of which still twist all who enter it.

Roll one die:

1. Gain 1 Strength

2. Lose 1 Craft

3. Lose 1 Fate or 2 Lives

4. Lose 2 Fate or 1 Life

5. Lose 1 Strength

6. Gain 1 Craft

Edited by Bludgeon

Could always just beef up the effects:

Spellblasted Wastes
You may not use Spells this turn. Roll one die:
1. Empowerment: Gain 2 Strength and 1 Craft
2. Stupification: Lose 2 Craft
3. Essence Drain: Lose 2 Lives and discard all your Followers
4. Spirit Drain: Lose all your Fate and discard all your Spells
5. Enfeeblement: Lose 2 Strength
6. Enlightenment: Gain 2 Craft and 1 Strength

Looking at the practical nature of setting this up...

2 mini boards, 1 between The Dungeon and The Woodland, 1 between The City and The Highland, accessed from the adjacent "Planes" spaces.

Both are "Astral Gates". One is unlocked with Strength, one with Craft. Roll 1 dce, if under value, gate opens, encounter an "Astral Realm" card.

If desired, we can also add an "Astral Gate" card or two into the Advanture Deck, and an "Astral Travel" spell into the Spell Deck.

Cloud Giant's Castle
A fearsome giant lives in a castle amidst the clouds.
You may attemt to either steal from the Giant (with Craft), or to challenge him to an arm-wrestle (with Strength).
Roll 2 dice. For ever point under your chosen ability, gain 2 Gold OR one Treasure Card OR one purchase card. For every point over your Craft, lose 3 Gold OR 1 Treaure Card OR one Life OR one Follower.

Could always just beef up the effects:

Spellblasted Wastes

You may not use Spells this turn. Roll one die:

1. Empowerment: Gain 2 Strength and 1 Craft

2. Stupification: Lose 2 Craft

3. Essence Drain: Lose 2 Lives and discard all your Followers

4. Spirit Drain: Lose all your Fate and discard all your Spells

5. Enfeeblement: Lose 2 Strength

6. Enlightenment: Gain 2 Craft and 1 Strength

:)

These are some really great ideas! I hope you don't mind if I go ahead and make some of them into realms, maybe with some tweaks.

I know that idea behind this to to replace "Timescape", but you may consider another name, since this is shaping up to be very different a place. Perhaps "The Mystic Relams", or some such.

Otherwise, the idea bedind this is fantastic. I'll brainstorm for ideas on cards, although I'm more of your theme maker than rules balencer in this case.

I'll note that there are small spaces on the boad between "realm" boards on the short edges. If the board(s) for this could be made to fill one or both of those, it would be brilliant.

I've been recreating the Timescape characters in another thread as some will know. Genen the themes, this expansion could conceaveably form a useful home for them.

Thanks! As for the name, I've thought about calling it "Planescape", or "Realmscape" instead of "Timescape", since it is turning out to be quite different than the original Timescape. I'd prefer this to be separate from the main board, though. I'd love to see something fit in between the expansion boards in those little spaces, but probably not this expansion.

Edited by Aarontu

Some more Realm ideas (feedback is welcome):

Mountain of the Gods
You must meet at least 2 of the following to impress the Gods: Have at least 7 Strength, Have at least 7 Craft, you may add to the die when praying, Good alignment
Success: The gods are impressed with you. Replenish your fate and gain 1 Destiny. You may challenge a powerful demigod here to a duel. If you do, move to the Demigod ending.
Failure: Ordinary mortals are not allowed here; the gods are enraged! Lose 1 life and discard all of your fate. Then, all players gain 1 dark fate. Either discard 1 Timescape token or move to any Runes space and end your turn.

The Tavern at the End of the Universe
You find yourself in a tavern frequented by demigods and powerful sorcerers.
Roll 1 die. If your Craft is at least 7, you may add 1 to the result.
(I'm thinking of making an epic version of the Tavern where you can get tipsy and pick a fight with a demigod)

Domain of Dragons
Probably something about drawing a number of Dragon cards and discarding/replacing any that refer to "sleep", "rage", or "scales".

Edited by Aarontu

These are some really great ideas! I hope you don't mind if I go ahead and make some of them into realms, maybe with some tweaks.

Thanks! As for the name, I've thought about calling it "Planescape", or "Realmscape" instead of "Timescape", since it is turning out to be quite different than the original Timescape. I'd prefer this to be separate from the main board, though. I'd love to see something fit in between the expansion boards in those little spaces, but probably not this expansion.

I'd go with Realmscape from those.

In my head it's "The Astral Realms", since that ties in with the PoD "Realm" expansions!

You'll need some way to get there if we're not using the dead gaps...

Astral Travel (4 copies)

Spell

Play this card instead of moving in order to move to the [Timescape].

If you are already in the [Timescape] you may play this card when drawing [Timescape] cards. Draw an extra card, choose one to encounter, and place the rest on the bottom of the [Timescape] deck.

Astral Gate (2 copies)

Place/adventure

This unusual portal leads to other places of unusual aspect, beyond the ken of the unenlightened.

Characters who start their turn here may move to the [Timescape] instead of moving normally.

Rainbow Bridge (1 copy)

Place/adventure

The bridge leads to strange realms.

You may attempt to cross the bridge by rolling two dice. If you roll less than your Craft, you suceed and immediately enter the [Timescape], resolving a [Timescape] card.

Abyssal Gate (1 copy)

Place/adventure

The gate leads to strage realms.

You may pass through the gate by rolling two dice. If you roll less than your Strength, you duceed and imediately enter the [Timescape], resolving a [Timescape] card.

Astral Key (1 copy)

Magic Object/adventure

Instead of moving normally, you may discard this card to move to the [Timescape].

If you start your turn in the [Timescape] you may discard this card to move to any Runes Space.

Astral Wand (1 copy)

Magic Object/adventure

Instead of moving normally, you may discard this card to move to the [Timescape].

If you are already in the [Timescape] you may play this card when drawing [Timescape] cards. Draw an extra card, choose one to encounter, and place the rest on the bottom of the [Timescape] deck.

Edited by Slev

threw this together, just as an idea, this would be the size of one (not both) of the Deep Realms board cards.

TMxx-b8-realm-sneak.jpg

Edited by Slev

Just had a little time on my break, so I did a little rules drafting. I changed a couple of names, including changing “endings” to “Legendary Realms”

Talisman: The Realmscape

Beyond the ken of most mortals, and beyond the limits of perception, wizards claim there lies the Realmscape; a shifting made of different times and other places, plains and realms beyond counting, each stranger and more exotic than the last. Here is hidden great powers that might aid the characters in their quest for the Crown of Command.

Expansion contents

1 Realmscape mini-board

[x] oversized Mythic Realm cards

[x] oversized Legendary Realm cards

36 Realmkey tokens

[x] new Spell Cards

[x] new Adventure cards

[x] new Alternative Ending cards

[x] new Characters

Setup

1. Place the Realmscape board in the play area.

2. Shuffle the Mythic Realm cards, and place them in a stack face down near the Realmscape Board.

3. Place the Legendary Realm cards, separately and face-up, near the Realmscape board.

4. Place the Realmkey Tokens in a pile in the play area.

5. Shuffle the Adventure and Spell cards into the appropriate decks.

Rules

The Realscape Board

The Realmscape board is separate from the main game board and can only be reached by special effects of certain cards.

The Reamscape counts as its own region.

Except for the Command Spell and other effects from Alternative Ending cards, no effects from any other region may ever affect a character in the Realmscape.

Except for effects from Alternative Ending cards, characters in the Realmscape may not encounter or affect each other in any way.

Realmscape Cards

These cards represent the many different planes, dimensions, realities and strange places that the characters may explore through powerful magic. They are split into two types: Mythic Realm cards and Legendary Realm cards.

Mythic Realm Cards are kept in a deck, and are drawn as needed. Once resolved, they are discarded. Reshuffle the deck if it empties. Mythic Realm cards are never kept in play for any reason.

Legendary Realm cards are kept face-up for selection. They are difficult to encounter, but they lead out of the Realmscape. Once they have been encountered and resolved, they remain where they are.

Movement in the Realmscape

Characters on the Realmscape do not move. Instead, they automatically encounter a random Mythic Realm card. Alternatively, they can discard six Realmkey tokens in order to encounter a random Legendary Realm card.

Edited by Slev

More ideas, Alternative Endings for the Realmscape, since expansions should have them:

The Realmgate

Alternative Ending (Hidden)

Instead of the Crown of Command, you find a mystical gateway. The Crown has been hidden in a different plain of existence.

The next player to complete a Legendary Realm card successfully wins the game.

Realm Quest

Alternative Ending (revealed)

The Crown is sealed beyond a dimensional barrier. Only the correct magical keys will allow access to the Crown.

The first character to reach the Crown of Command with three Realmkey tokens wins the game.

Characters outside the Realmscape may steal Realmkey tokens as if they were Objects, should they defeat the bearer in battle.

Plainar War

Alternative Ending (revealed)

Any time any effect not from this Alternative ending would grant you a Talisman, gain a Realmkey token instead.

Any time you successfully complete a Greater Reamscape card, you gain a Talisman. This is the only way you can claim a Talisman.

Characters outside the Realmscape may spend one Realmkey to move to and attack any character that holds a Talisman, in the same Region, in place of their normal move. If they do this and win the Battle, they MUST steal the Talisman.

Characters outside the Realmscape may steal Realmkey tokens as if they were Objects, should they defeat the bearer in battle.

Some more adventure cards:

Astral Fiend (2)

Adventure/Enemy C6

A mind-bending horror has entered our existence from another reality.

If you defeat this Enemy, you may gain one Realmkey token

Abyssal Fiend (2)

Adventure/Enemy S6

A creature of nightmare has burrowed into our existence from another plain.

If you defeat this Enemy, you may gain one Realmkey token

Astromancer (1)

Stranger

A strange wizard is camped here and will remain here until discarded.

The Astromancer will send good or neutral Characters into the Realmscape for one gold.

He will also allow a good or neutral Character to replenish Fate (up to their starting value) for one Gold each.

Abyssal Priest (1)

Stranger

A strange cleric is preaching here and will remain here until discarded.

The Astromancer will send Characters into the Realmscape for one gold.

The Astromancer will send evil or neutral Characters into the Realmscape for one gold.

He will also allow an evil or neutral Character to draw Spells (up to their limit) for one Gold each.

One more idea (In a creative mood here) while I'm on my dinner break.

The Well of Worlds

Each wizard sees this place differently: as a hall of doors, as a forest of pools, as a city of strange aspect, or whatever. To the wise it grants a shortcut. To the foolish, it acts as a maze.

Roll three dice against your Strength and three dice against your Craft. If the total of each roll is less than the associated value, you succeed. If not, you fail.

Success: You have found a secret route to the Crown of Command. You may immediately discard three Realmkey tokens and move to the Crown of Command Space. If you don’t have enough tokens to do this, you gain an additional Realmkey token instead.

Failure: You are lost within the Well. Miss one Turn and discard all your Realmkey tokens. If you have no Realmkey Tokens, lose one Life instead.

I'd go with Realmscape from those.

In my head it's "The Astral Realms", since that ties in with the PoD "Realm" expansions!

You'll need some way to get there if we're not using the dead gaps...

Astral Travel (4 copies)

Spell

Play this card instead of moving in order to move to the [Timescape].

Astral Gate (2 copies)

Place/adventure

This unusual portal leads to other places of unusual aspect, beyond the ken of the unenlightened.

Characters who start their turn here may move to the [Timescape] instead of moving normally.

Rainbow Bridge (1 copy)

Place/adventure

The bridge leads to strange realms.

You may attempt to cross the bridge by rolling two dice. If you roll less than your Craft, you suceed and immediately enter the [Timescape], resolving a [Timescape] card.

Abyssal Gate (1 copy)

Place/adventure

The gate leads to strage realms.

You may pass through the gate by rolling two dice. If you roll less than your Strength, you duceed and imediately enter the [Timescape], resolving a [Timescape] card.

Astral Key (1 copy)

Magic Object/adventure

If you start your turn in the [Timescape] you may discard this card to move to any Runes Space.

Astral Wand (1 copy)

Magic Object/adventure

These are good ideas. I was originally thinking, and will probably keep with it for myself at least, that characters could go to the Realmscape through a Rune Gate. The "Astral Journey" spell included in the Cataclysm expansion could also let you move to the Realmscape if you choose.

Something like:

*When using a Rune Gate, you may move to the Realmscape instead of a Runes space.

*After successfully casting "Astral Journey", a character may move to the Realmscape.

This is mostly me not wanting to add cards to existing decks since their card backs won't exactly match. And so I won't have to fish the cards out of the deck if I am not using the Realmscape.

One more idea (In a creative mood here) while I'm on my dinner break.

The Well of Worlds

Each wizard sees this place differently: as a hall of doors, as a forest of pools, as a city of strange aspect, or whatever. To the wise it grants a shortcut. To the foolish, it acts as a maze.

Roll three dice against your Strength and three dice against your Craft. If the total of each roll is less than the associated value, you succeed. If not, you fail.

Success: You have found a secret route to the Crown of Command. You may immediately discard three Realmkey tokens and move to the Crown of Command Space. If you don’t have enough tokens to do this, you gain an additional Realmkey token instead.

Failure: You are lost within the Well. Miss one Turn and discard all your Realmkey tokens. If you have no Realmkey Tokens, lose one Life instead.

I really like this idea. How about we add a third result:

The Well of Worlds

Roll three dice against your Strength and three dice against your Craft. If the total of a roll is less than the associated value, the roll is a success. If both rolls are higher than the associated value, it is a failure.

2 Successes: You have found a secret route to the Crown of Command. You may immediately discard three Realmkey tokens and move to the Crown of Command Space. If you don’t have enough tokens to do this, you gain an additional Realmkey token instead.

1 Success: You find hidden paths to strange worlds. On your next turn, you may draw 3 Realm cards and pick one to encounter. Discard the rest.