Ideas for Timescape Reimagined

By Aarontu, in Talisman Home Brews

I always liked the idea of Timescape, even though I didn't actually like the classic Timescape expansion. I have a couple ideas for how to make a POD-style mini expansion of Timescape for 4th edition. One idea is to use a wacky sci-fi-ish theme, like the original Timescape, but I think I'm actually more attracted to the idea of making it about outer planes and other realms that can still be considered within the generic fantasy setting of Talisman.

Here's a super rough draft of the mini-board that I put together:

pic3272295_lg.png

Starting with a Runes space allows people to teleport to the Timescape through a Runegate, which works for me since I don't really want to add my own spells or adventure cards to the base spell/adventure decks.

I never did like the colored paths method of movement on the old Timescape board. It was all pretty random, anyways, so I think the Deep Realms style card pile would work just as well, except using Timescape terrain/world/realm cards that you encounter once a turn until your stack is done.

Some basic rules for Timescape:

*Unlike Deep Realm Catacomb cards, you discard a Realm card after encountering it regardless of how your encounter went.

*While in Timescape, normal spells do not affect you. The Command Spell can still affect you in Timescape, though (It's just THAT powerful).

*Any adventure card or spell that would move you to another space does not move you. Instead of moving, immediately draw an Adventure card if it is your turn.

I was thinking that Timescape could work with just the mini-board and Realm cards, with the Realm cards being large cards with a number of possible encounter outcomes, kind of like Gate cards in FFG's Eldritch Horror, though they don't all need to have branching paths or decision points.

Some examples for Realm cards:

Vast Desert: Lose 1 life as if at the Desert and then roll 1 die. 1)A giant sandworm attacks. Discard 1 follower. 2) Sandstorm. Discard 1 random object. 3-4) Draw 2 Adventure cards. 5) Attacked by nomadic sand people (Strength 6). If you win, gain a water bottle from the purchase deck. 6) Friendly nomads share their supplies with you. Heal 1 life. You may purchase any of the following from them: water bottle: 1 gold. Helmet: 1 gold. Healer's Kit: 2 gold. Mule: 4 gold. Haversack: 2 gold.

Summoning Ritual: You are summoned by a wizard to do his bidding. Roll a die and add your Craft. If the result is less than 7, you are forced to fight a dragon (Strength 7). If you win, gain 1 strength. If your result is 7 or more, you break free of the wizard's control. Roll 1 die: 1-2) you overpower the wizard and take his spellbook. Gain a spellbook from the Magic Emporium deck. 3-4) You interrupt the ritual and something goes wrong. Choose one other player and move them to the Timescape Cascade space. 5-6) The wizard's spell goes catastrophically wrong and all other players are drawn into mysterious portals. Move all other players to the Timescape Cascade space.

Rad Zone: same as classic Timescape Rad Zone space.

The Nether Realm: Roll 1 die: 1-2) Draw 2 Nether Realm cards. 3-4) Draw 1 Nether Realm card 5-6) the portal you came through briefly connects the Nether Realm to the world of Talisman. Place a Nether Realm card face-down on each Adventure card deck.

Mystic Swamp: Roll 1 die: 1-2) Draw 2 Woodland cards. 3) Attacked by a swamp monster (Strength 6). If you win, gain 1 strength. 4) Engage in psychic combat with a Will 'O Wisp (Craft 6). If you win, gain 1 craft. 5-6) You encounter a strange little hermit with mystic abilities. Roll 1 die and add 1 for each Fate token you have. 1-3) He attacks you (Craft 10). If you win, gain 1 craft. 4-7) He shares his dinner and home with you for the evening. Heal 1 life and replenish 1 fate. 8+) He proclaims that you are the chosen one. Gain 1 Destiny.

More possible Realm cards:

Celestial realm, Demonic realm, Mountain of the Gods, Death's Domain, Astral plane, Land of the Faeries, Crystal City, Tomb of Kings (Great Pyramids), Limbo, The Dreamlands, The Age of Dinosaurs, Lair of the Ice Queen, the Underdark, Shattered World, Necropolis, Arcane Technomancy, Land without magic, Death World, Ancient Ruins, Temple of Doom, Lost in Time and Space, The Dragon Realm, Far East, Elemental Planes, Mysterious airship, Talisman Island, Eden

Feel free to share any thoughts or ideas. :)

Edited by Aarontu

I like the idea, but what I don't see is what kind of characters is this expansion intended for.

I like the idea, but what I don't see is what kind of characters is this expansion intended for.

Mechanically, it would be a high-risk high-reward area to go for possible death or goodies. Some realm cards can give away Dungeon treasures, Destinies, various cards from the purchase decks or city decks, and other possible rewards. Similar to classic Timescape, except this version would mostly use existing rewards from other expansions. I keep going back and forth between making a separate rewards deck for this Timescape, though.

How about this:
- realm cards are bigger (standard CCG), that makes them stand apart and look more like actual board fragments, and there's more room for text, so they can be more involved, like mini adventures
- each realm card is split into two parts. upper part is what conditions you must meet. bottom part is the reward for success, or punishment for failure.
Basically, use the model from Eldritch Horror which works great.

- maybe you don't need to visit 4 realms to finish the timescape, but instead you get one token for each realm you visit, and you need to visit a specific realm that triggers one of 3 possible endings

example
Fields of Elysium
You walk the heavenly fields and happen upon an angelic being. If you are of good alignment, roll one die. If you are neutral, roll 2 dice. If you are evil, roll 3 dice.

REWARD: If you roll below your Craft, gain 1 Craft and 2 fate.

PUNISHMENT: You lose all fate and are banished from the Elysium back to any Runes space in the Middle Region.

Dark Forest of Grimwald

TEST: To travese the Dark Forest you must meet two or more of the following:
- have Craft of 7
- have Strength of 7
- have Forest as your starting space
- have a Bow

REWARD: You pass safely and find magical berries. Heal all life and gain an extra turn after this one.

PUNISHMENT: You are lost in the Forest and hunted by shadowy predators. Roll 1 die and lose that many lives and turns, in any combination of your choice.

Edited by Bludgeon

the size of this card is 88x63 mm, which is standard CCG size (a magic the gathering card)

37448878adb79428gen.png

d02dde3c8dc6a706gen.png

dd6fdaeaa6118c81gen.png

Edited by Bludgeon

I like this...a lot

Just no chainsaw warriors please

Moar Cyborgs!

BUMP - are we doing this or not?

Because there's a lot of potential for a cool expansion in this.

8d433bcc4ad73860gen.png

Astral Demon with alternative art:

0f4d9826e47fc03bgen.png

Edited by Bludgeon

6ae9bab51fb39ae7gen.png

How much of this stuff do you have rattling around in your head, this is shaping up to be a great expansion. Well done!

Great idea about making it about planes and you could change the name Timescape to Planescape. Always wondered where the planeswalker came from and you can have planes walking type characters too.

Sounds like tons of Fantasy potential here and a great opportunity for Talisman nuts to let their imagination go (within reason, of course, otherwise,

you will end up with my Space Shark Rider Jawa Death Squads).

I want more :) .

OH YEAH! These cards you made are looking really good, and they are actually really similar to the kind of stuff I was thinking of. I was thinking of changing the grey borders of the cards to something like light blue or purple space/nebulae to make the realm cards look distinct from ending cards. I quite like the ideas you have for the Astral Demon. I was travelling yesterday, and I'm away from my normal computer right now, or I would make something and put it up.

Looks like another great idea.

I had edition 2 of Talisman and Timescape in the 80's when I was very young - Hence why all these decades later I recently, after realising it still existing, I decided to re-discover Talisman in it's 4th reincarnation for nostalgia sake! (and here I am!)

OH YEAH! These cards you made are looking really good, and they are actually really similar to the kind of stuff I was thinking of. I was thinking of changing the grey borders of the cards to something like light blue or purple space/nebulae to make the realm cards look distinct from ending cards. I quite like the ideas you have for the Astral Demon. I was travelling yesterday, and I'm away from my normal computer right now, or I would make something and put it up.

ok im waiting

How about something like this?

pic3289235.jpg

Looks good :)

Here's another realm:

pic3292222.png

Another one:

pic3292863.png

Edited by Aarontu

I would suggest another ending for elemental-themed cards.

Instead +3 for 5 craft, how about adding half your craft? And maybe up result numbers a little bit (1-6, 7,8,9,10,11+ for example)

Also, you need to fix the font.

Edited by Bludgeon

I was wondering. How do you get your font to look so good? Do you use Strange Eons? I use the Caxton font in GIMP, but it just doesn't look quite the same.

Any ideas for other endings? Maybe Sentinels of the Timescape, who judge your actions while in the Timescape? Or maybe some elemental titans to fight?

I use all proper fonts (inc. caxton) in photoshop.

For endings, you can go a bit generic and go with one demon, one elemental, one demigod etc.

I use the Caxton font in GIMP, but it just doesn't look quite the same.

Body text is Caxton Light. That might be why.

Is this the right font, then?

pic3293786.png