Which properties would you like to see in LCG?

By Frostyfrog, in Living Card Games

Actually that reminds me of the movie Hackers, the contest between Crash Override and Acid Burn. I could see a game where two players faced off against a third player (overlord style) or against an AI where they could effect each other but the goal was to beat the AI first.

That said I think a netrunner game should remain head to head corporation versus runner. Asymmetrical if possible.

Before the Star Wars: The Card Game was announced, I thought that a Star Wars -themed LCG would be spectacular, and I still hold firmly to that belief.

What other licenses would work for an LCG? UFS obviously, but another company (Jasco Games) has already picked that up. As CCGs go, that one has more lives than a cat!

I'll throw my hat in with the Warhammer 40K LCG camp.

Otherwise, a Harry Potter LCG would be solid. Harry Potter and tabletop gaming are two fandoms with a high degree of overlap. The biggest obstacle of course would be J.K. Rowling herself, since she apparently despises hobby gaming. IIRC the demise of the old Harry Potter TCG by WotC fell through due to legal and/or financial wrangling with JKR. As lucrative as it would be for Fantasy Flight to produce a Harry Potter RPG or LCG, I'm pretty sure it'd be more trouble than it would be worth in the end.

Maybe a multi-fandom LCG? Like UFS, only not restricted to a single genre. UFS is, or at least was at one time, restricted to versus fighting games. Now it's, I dunno...random original settings? It seems to have lost its focus somewhere down the line, perhaps as a result of being handled by three different companies.

1st place: VTES - because it could be a great game with an amazing background and a lot of fans

2nd place: VS system - this was one of the best card game on the market. Still many fans from all over the world

3rd place UFS - beautiful artwork and a complex mechanism to play it correctly

Maybe VS system it's the possible way cause the other 2 are owned by other companies snd still active in the market. However I hope for VTES...

Last but not least...don't do these games cooperative please!!!

I would like to see VS, but only if it expands more broadly to properties other than Marvel and DC that fit in the superhero and/or action genre. The question is how the distribution would work, since even with just those two companies, either FFG prints two packs each month, or splits them into bi-monthly purchases. This likely wouldn't be as big a deal, as fans of both would buy each month, but it's something worth considering the implications of. I guess the same would be true of UFS or any other multi-fandom game.

This is a great thread and there are lots of great ideas here. The first thing I thought of when I saw the thread's title was, 'BattleTech would be awesome!' and I'm glad to see there were a few others that mentioned it also. There's a lot of history and richness in that universe to draw from.

Someone also mentioned Firefly, which I hadn't thought of, but that would be pretty cool too, though there isn't much history to deal with in the scale necessary for this type of game, imo.

Forgotten Realms/Drizzt would be a great fantasy setting.

The last ideas I came up with were Shadowrun or Rifts. Both are great RPGs with lots of background and information, plus they both combine magic AND technology into one neat package. Something for everyone!

Rifts and Shadowrun would be very cool.

Firefly would have a lot of material, a full season and a movie, and a universe constantly hinted at with a rich history to explore. Certainly less than some other potential properties, but I think it has enough.

I loved Battletech as a kid, but I can't see the fan base being large enough to support a game unto itself. If the IP isn't going to make the game popular enough to support itself immediately I'd rather see something new or one of their own IP's (Twilight Imperium?) be used. Maybe something with Android.

DUNE! DUNE! DUNE DUNE! DUNE! DUNE! DUNE DUNE! DUNE! DUNE! DUNE DUNE! DUNE! DUNE! DUNE DUNE! DUNE! DUNE! DUNE DUNE! DUNE! DUNE! DUNE DUNE! DUNE! DUNE! DUNE DUNE! DUNE! DUNE! DUNE DUNE! DUNE! DUNE! DUNE DUNE! DUNE! DUNE! DUNE DUNE! DUNE! DUNE! DUNE DUNE! DUNE! DUNE! DUNE DUNE! DUNE! DUNE! DUNE DUNE! DUNE! DUNE! DUNE DUNE! DUNE! DUNE! DUNE DUNE! DUNE! DUNE! DUNE DUNE! DUNE! DUNE! DUNE DUNE! DUNE! DUNE! DUNE DUNE! DUNE! DUNE! DUNE DUNE! DUNE! DUNE! DUNE DUNE! DUNE! DUNE! DUNE DUNE! DUNE! DUNE! DUNE DUNE! DUNE! DUNE! DUNE DUNE! DUNE! DUNE! DUNE DUNE! DUNE! DUNE! DUNE DUNE! DUNE! DUNE! DUNE DUNE! DUNE! DUNE! DUNE DUNE! DUNE! DUNE! DUNE DUNE! DUNE! DUNE! DUNE DUNE! DUNE! DUNE! DUNE DUNE! DUNE! DUNE! DUNE DUNE! DUNE! DUNE! DUNE DUNE! DUNE! DUNE! DUNE DUNE! DUNE! DUNE! DUNE DUNE! DUNE! DUNE! DUNE DUNE! DUNE! DUNE! DUNE DUNE! DUNE! DUNE! DUNE DUNE! DUNE! DUNE! DUNE DUNE! DUNE! DUNE! DUNE DUNE! DUNE! DUNE! DUNE DUNE! DUNE! DUNE! DUNE DUNE! DUNE! DUNE! DUNE DUNE! DUNE! DUNE! DUNE DUNE! DUNE! DUNE! DUNE DUNE! DUNE! DUNE! DUNE DUNE!

And maybe Dune.

I do hate to be repeat myself, but I do think that with the current trend (such as it is) towards co-op LCGs that Buffy would be an absolutely ideal fit. The "Scooby Gang" competing against a seasonal Big Bad or an episodic Villain Of The Week would provide plenty of good gameplay opportunities. You would have 7 seasons of Buffy, 5 seasons of Angel and the current ongoing comic series for both of them to work with.

While I'm thinking of it, a Battlestar Galactica competitive/co-op game would be pretty cool as well (players would be factions competing amongst themselves while simultaneously dealing with the Cylon threat), particularly since you presumably already own the license.

I would love to see them buy the VS System and engine and turn it into a LCG

Netrunner. That would be an awesome LCG.

Twilight Imperium with the VS system mechanic! Upper Deck has been sitting on it for years. I bet they would let it go pretty easy,

We had a bunch of people in here say they'd love for Netrunner to return, or something cyberpunk themed.

AND WE GOT OUR WISH!!!

I can't help but feel that FFG was pretty seriously listening to us on this one and I could not possibly be happier :) I am an avid fan of Game of Thrones, Call of Cthulhu, and LOTR, but this really takes the cake. I'm honestly ecstatic.

Thanks FFG!

I would love to see Battletech.

DRAGON BALL Z FOR THE WIN!

The game that score produced was amazing. The engine that they created to represent the intense and brutal fighting was great. Played it all the way through from beginning to the end. Didn't touch GT. Way too much overpowered stuff.

The Bandai game was meh. I liked the cards, but there was no originality involving game play. They just took the engine that naruto had and slapped DBZ on it.

If FFG got the license for this game, I wouldn't play any other game. Except Netrunner, which is being released.

I know that made a lot of people happy in this forum. :D

therobfather said:

Oooh, now THAT was a great game- and one that would work very well with the LCG design!!

therobfather said:

Great idea!

HomerJ said:

Oh man!

1) Superheroes! UDE's bungling of VS System has made a huge opening for a good superhero-based game. The upcoming release of Marvel Superstars will be an epic failure. Basing a game on DC, Marvel, or even Darkhorse Comics characters would be huge. And, even though it's a bit of a cop-out, some of the existing games could EASILY be converted to a super-hero genre. I did my own mock-up of super-hero game based on the Call of Cthulhu engine and it worked amazingly well. The Story cards can be based on story-arcs in the comic universe (Secret Wars, Blackest Night, etc . . .) the icons just get adjusted to be more comic related (Terror becomes Mind Control, Investigation becomes Technology, etc . . .). Anyway, super heroes is the way to go.

This sounds like a great idea! The CoC mechanics really would suit a superhero game, and I would get behind it. I cam to the VS system late, and although I liked it, something about it seemed lacking to me. I like the idea of fighting over story cards.

For other properties, to reiterate another post in another thread, I would love to see Doomtown, TI, and Battletech. Doomtown is still my favorite card game ever, and I would love to see it brought back. It just seems well suited.

As for TI, I love that game, and it seems to have a lot of potential for a card game. I think it would work really well with mechanics similar to the Decipher Star Wars ccg.

Finally, I never played Battletech, but I was reading about the old CCG recently, and it sounds like it would also work really well.

I do really like the CoC mechanics, particularly the concept of fighting over stories and the Domain system. But as some have commented in other threads, it doesn't really evoke the sense of sheer dread that the cosmic horror genre is supposed to. I feel that maybe this is due to the artwork (which is lovely, don't get me wrong), in that whereas books have you imagining the horrible things being described, the game has them clearly rendered for you. It's not like Cloverfield or the upcoming Prometheus either, where you're shown some, but not nearly enough, of the creatures present. There's no "aura of mystique" about them. That, and the ruleset isn't really meant to encourage any sort of attachment to the characters, which is needed for it to feel like horror. Instead, it focuses on the great cosmic battle between the Mythos factions, which is cool, but impossible for my feeble mind to grasp.

Anyway, the short version I do like the game a lot, and would be eager to see a game set in a different genre that uses the same ruleset.

You know, I don't really care what LCG comes out as long as FFG is willing to take chances with another LCG that supports solo play, like LOTR LCG. True, that type of format is harder to design around, but the co-op/ solo play is a welcome addition to this type of format.

I think a game based off of the Matrix would be really cool. You could have the humans completing objectives inside the matrix and would have cards representing the special abilities they have there. But, then they would need to jack out and return to their ships for various reasons and have to deal with the squids and whatnot. Maybe it could be a series of objectives that has to be met by the humans before the robots are able to gain the access codes to the Zion mainframe. Who knows…just think it could be a really cool idea.

Doc9 said:

I think a game based off of the Matrix would be really cool.

The Wachowskis practically buried the franchise with the sequels. The Matrix is an IP that went from hot to sour almost overnight, even Pirates of the Caribbean managed to have more than three parts. Still the idea might be cool and the license could be really cheap but not very marketable.

Mikko Leho said:

Doc9 said:

I think a game based off of the Matrix would be really cool.

The Wachowskis practically buried the franchise with the sequels.

What sequels? There was only one Matrix movie, right? Yeah, pretty sure you're mistaken, friend. :)

therobfather said:

That one was another great Richard Garfield design, and it would have to be licensed from WOTC, like Netrunner was. Perhaps if Netrunner is a hit, then that's a possibility…?

Diablo maybe could work. Or the Witcher. I know the Witcher has a board game, but could also work in this format.

On 2/26/2019 at 6:12 PM, Moon-beast King said:

Diablo maybe could work. Or the Witcher. I know the Witcher has a board game, but could also work in this format.

With Gwent being official Witcher card game chances to licencse it for Asmodee/FFG (LCG) is nearly zero.