Which properties would you like to see in LCG?

By Frostyfrog, in Living Card Games

Being a Star Wars and Star Trek CCG fan, I'd like to see these two rolled over into the LCG format. I think they would benefit from some love. Also, I've seen mentioned a Battlefleet Gothic LCG, which would be awesome.

I'd be all over Raymond E. Feist, WWII and 40K, especially if they were designed for 2-4 players.

A Bioshock LCG... adam and eve for the win! Different factions, Sinclair Solutions, Andrew Ryan.. Fontaine Futuristics, Tennenbaum, Sophia Lamb, ahhh I would love Bioshock LCG!

A Wheel of Time LCG would be awesome too.

BioShock would be really interesting... I think it may be better a standalone card game though. I just can't see enough diversity and development to fuel a monthly release schedule.

I would love to see the Dresden Files. I can't even begin to tell you how excited I would be by that.

The Malazan Empire would be truly amazing. That is such an amazingly rich world and a compelling set of stories... I would jump for joy.

There was a short lived Wheel of Time ccg that was abysmal. Mostly due to the major dice rolling mechanic of the game but yes. I would love a Wheel of Time LCG if they got the mechanics right.

Dice rolling? Ugh. The only use for dice in a TCG should be as counters.

Lots of people mentioned Dune. While I think that would be amazing, do you think there is market for a Dune LCG? And maybe the rights could be quite expensive...

And I'm all for a DECENT Bioshock card game! The game's artwork is very good.

This just occured me now: how about a Steampunk themed cardgame? The possibilites are endless. It could be pure Victorian, or maybe mix a little fantasy (like the Arcanum computer game). The asthetics are really marvelous.

spirit said:

There was a short lived Wheel of Time ccg that was abysmal. Mostly due to the major dice rolling mechanic of the game but yes. I would love a Wheel of Time LCG if they got the mechanics right.

Well it wasn't that bad, and it had some very unique mechanics. The dice rolling did suck though. It was so annoying I actually wrote a program on my old TI-89 calculator so I could enter in the number of dice rolled, have it roll them for me, and track the results. It did have some rather unique gameplay for its time though. And I loved the starting hand mechanic where your starting hand was chosen (not drawn) from your deck and had to consist of a starting character and 1 of each other card type. I think the Game of Thrones mechanics would suit a WoT game well with some tweaking.

As I said before. I would love a wheel of time game.

Wheel of Time is ripe for the development of a game franchise right now, as the series is coming to an end next year and the hype around that will be immense (easy marketing leading up to or coming down from that.) Also, with constant talks about a movie deal and an RPG, this is likely a franchise that will be continuing to garner attention for a while. It's loyal fanbase could give an LCG a long life.

Dune could make a viable LCG. As someone said, it's similar to Cthulu in its cult popularity. It doesn't attract major attention the way other properties do, but it's always kind of been a "long, slow burn" type of property. The fans will come and play if it's good. (They've come out in droves for the Cthulu mythos. how could they not for Dune?)

Dragonball Z could actually be pretty decent. The old Score game was a lot of fun in its ability to capture the fierce one-on-one battles that take up so much of the drama in that show. The game also was well-known for cultivating a wide variety of competitive deck archetypes in its tournaments, which is always something I like to see from a card game. I think the license is with Bandai right now, but they haven't released a set in a while (last time I checked), so it could be slipping back onto the market soon. Plus, with the new re-edit of the show (Dragonball Z Kai) introducing a new generation to the action and reigniting an interest in older fans through its tighter storytelling, the market could be growing for a new DBZ game.

Mistborn, by Brandon Sanderson, would be amazing. Brilliant worldbuilding, a fantastic cast, gorgeous visualization. I would love to see a Mistborn LCG. Especially since the author is an active gamer himself, he would probably love to see the property turned into a game. I know they've been working on an RPG for a while, and he's actively contributed fluff and background notes for that, so he'd probably be willing to help with the development of a card game. Plus, there's a new book in the series coming out this fall, and he's talked about his plans to expand the franchise in the future (once he's finished with Wheel of Time, Stormlight Archives, etc.)

40k is also an excellent choice, and also highly likely. FFG already has an excellent working relationship with GW, so I wouldn't be surprised if they'd already begun developing an LCG (or that they at least have the rights to one sitting in their pile). 40k also has a larger fanbase and a wider appeal than its fantasy counterpart (so far as I can tell), especially with all these well-made video games attracting newer players to the world. Seems like a natural fit for an LCG. (So long as the mechanics are decidedly different from Invasion. I hate game clones.)

Star Wars would also be great, especially if they made it a massive game like Game of Thrones by incorporating as much of the EU as possible. The relative success of Wizards' miniatures game has proven that the gaming portion of Star Wars' fanbase really is interested in the Expanded Universe, and the sheer amount of stuff that's in the Star Wars mythos now could give an LCG a very long lifetime. I do know that the Star Wars license is both very expensive and very restrictive (such as a requirement that you have to include a version of Anakin Skywalker or Darth Vader in each new set you release), so that's probably the biggest blockade to FFG making a Star Wars game. But hey, it'd still be pretty cool.

From what people have said about Blood Bowl and Netrunner, I'll add my support for them as well.

Also, superheroes. Yes.

Cyberpunk and steampunk as well. Definitely gets my support.

What about MechWarrior? I don't know what franchise those old games belong to, but I would love to see a decent mech-battling card game. It could be based around one-on-one mecha action, where you design your mech's systems ahead of time and place them out on the board. Then the rest of your deck is events and conditions that modify the status of your mech and provide you with special attacks and stuff. It could be a really exciting, fast-paced game.

Really, any kind of one-on-one game would be a fun and interesting departure from this current collection of team-based games. Don't get me wrong, I love fielding groups and feeling like I'm in control of a faction or whatever. But I also really like the personal aspect of feeling like I'm playing as somebody, instead of a nameless, faceless overseer pulling everybody's strings.

Also, I love games with multiple win conditions. Having a simple, concrete goal, but many different ways and strategies to get there, is nice. But I think having a variety of win conditions helps to deepen the play experience. It also increase tension during the game, as you start to wonder if you'll be able to accomplish your win condition before your opponent can reach theirs. Of course, supporting multiple win conditions mechanically can take a lot of cards, so I don't know if something as complex as, say, L5R's four different win conditions is possible in a distribution system like LCG, but having some variety beyond "destroy your opponent's capital" et al would be nice.

Just got into the whole LCG market with GoT!

I would love to see Doomtown come back in LCG mode. It was/is my favorite CCG in terms of flavor and game mechanics. Plus, the wierd west setting would be unique in the market of collectable games dominated by fantasy/sci-fi.

Star Wars has also been mentioned. I think cleaning up Decipher's game and making it for 2-4 players would be great for a LCG. Just need to hurdle the licensing.

UFS would be interesting as well, but that property is now out of FFG's hands, and without the licenses (SF, SoulCalibur, Darkstalkers), I don't think it would stand up well. However, a game based upon ShadoWar could be interesting....

I will also like to see the resurgence of an extinct game that could be classified as an LCG: Anachronism. It would be a fun 1v1 game (or even adapted for more players). Alter the rules to have an actual 'deck' maybe instead of just four support cards? Plus, it has the 'recognition' of the historical/mythological figures without having to pay a license fee! A core set with four different warriors from four different cultures (Ancient, New World, Medival, Asian) and chapter packs based on individual warriors (like the original game) could possibly work.

I'd like to give a shout out for the Buffy the Vampire Slayer CCG. The original Score CCG was cancelled 8-9 years ago but there are still groups regularly playing it, not huge by any means but not bad for a dead game. Not to mention that the Buffy story is still going through the Dark Horse comic series, Season 8 just recently ended and Season 9 just starting.

There would have to be some changes, of course. The original CCG rules were a little wonky and would have to be re-worked. Looking at the AGoT LCG there are elements that would work very well with a Buffy LCG. You would also have to make sure to get the rights to use the comic art rather than being limited to images from the TV series like the original CCG was.

Dune. By all that's cute and fluffy, DUNE!
Star Wars. License would be ridiculously expensive, but I've no doubt FFG could milk it for all it's worth (without churning out terrible games, natch.)
BSG. Including the Caprica and Blood & Chrome licenses preferably.
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for something goofy.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel. Snagging the rights to use the comics would be key to longevity.
Marvel/DC comics. Again, the license would be pretty expensive, but FFG makes quality products in several types (LCG, board games, RPGs, etc.) and could probably recoup the investment pretty fast.

Jackshoku said:

Lots of people mentioned Dune. While I think that would be amazing, do you think there is market for a Dune LCG? And maybe the rights could be quite expensive...

Xenu's Paradox said:

Dune. By all that's cute and fluffy, DUNE!
Star Wars. License would be ridiculously expensive, but I've no doubt FFG could milk it for all it's worth (without churning out terrible games, natch.)
BSG. Including the Caprica and Blood & Chrome licenses preferably.
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for something goofy.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel. Snagging the rights to use the comics would be key to longevity.
Marvel/DC comics. Again, the license would be pretty expensive, but FFG makes quality products in several types (LCG, board games, RPGs, etc.) and could probably recoup the investment pretty fast.

:)

Thinking about it further, I would also add Halo. Some may dismiss it as just a shooter but there is a very rich and detailed universe that could support an awesome game.

KEM

+1 to Marvel/DC/other comics. I'd love to see an LCG for this as I was spending far too much money on the CCG system. Unfortunately, I think UDE is going to continue to hoard the Marvel license until they run it into the ground.

How about some kitsch property like Masters Of The Universe? I'm sure Mattel or Hasbro, whoever owns it now, could come up with enough material to source an LCG with their smaller expansions. But that runs into the same problem of Hasbro/WOTC.

If we're rooting for prolific novel series, how about Xanth by Piers Anthony? I don't know what the concept would be, as there's generally no combat in the books, but there is a lot of player vs environment, kind of like LOTR LCG.

+3 for a good Blood Bowl conversion

+2 for a wod/vampire/dark ages variant or a "beat em up" like Mortal Kombat

+1 for L5R, Doomtown, Inquisitor

The first one that springs to mind is Netrunner. Great mechanics and innovative in the asymmetrical play style. Cyberpunk genre seems kind of out of favor these days unfortunately though.

Babylon 5 would also be great. I see the concerns about it being a older and "forgotten" property but fans of the series are typically very enthusiastic about it, if they do manage to launch a new TV series it could be a big boon to have a tie-in game.

The way I see it, the theme has to meet several criteria:

1. It has to be something interesting and evocative. This is one reason so many licensed themes keep being mentioned.
2. It has to be something that non-kids will play. This is a big strike against, for instance, Dragonball Z or other themes that may be perceived as childish or embarrassing
3. You probably want justification for multiple "factions", whatever those are based on. Countries, planets, races, corporations, etc... Netrunner is a special exception I think due to the asymmetrical play.

Personally, I don't care if it's a licensed theme or not so long as the game is good and the theme works well with it. You save money and gain some sort of "freshness" with a custom theme, but you don't get the automatic name recognition that can help build the community.

I think a good custom theme might be something Steampunk. It's pretty easy to align countries to factions, and make up some extras if you want to. Sky Pirates as a faction, why not? Zaire is a world power now due to large deposits of some steampunky mineral, easy to write that into the story. Atlantis has risen and brought their weird technology along, no problem. Lost world tribe comes up from underground with dinosaur riders and stuff - ok.

One licensed theme that hasn't been mentioned that I think has potential is Pirates of the Caribbean. Lots of recognition, and some other posters were already talking about 7th Sea - here's a chance to mix the two and get the best of both worlds. Piratey mechanics and theme recognition on top of it.

Battletech might be another possibility. Very old, but still remembered and giant mecha never go out of style. Or basically any giant mecha themed game should work.

Maybe take some of the ideas of Netrunner and re-skin it with a Matrix theme?

Personally I'd love to see a samurai themed game but I hear there's already one of those. Would just being a better game with substantially different mechanics in an LCG format be enough?

How about a game of giant monsters duking it out supported by their followers, whether these are tribes, modern, etc...? You could go with a Monsterpocalypse tie-in if PP wanted to, or if they didn't just roll your own. It's not like they didn't just mash a bunch of existing stuff together to begin with :)

How about ancient civilizations? Factions based on Greece, Rome, Vikings, Celts, Mongols, etc... Maybe with their Gods being in there as centerpieces? Do it as a Civilization licensed theme, that might work?

I think a Highlander sword combat LCG would be great. I would love to see a stable company that knows how to create and support games take the license over. A Core Set could cover the first movie and then each Pack could focus on an immortal from the HL universe.

What about a Mass Effect LCG?

Hm....... I'd love a Marvel VS DC LCG, but having two seperate Core Sets would ruin it. I'd have to spend 80 dollars so I can have a Marvel and DC fix at once.

Warhammer 40k. I certainly would love to have one of them suckers. Battlestar Galactica would be cool. Star Trek (even though I still enjoy Decipher's game). How about the Inheritance Cycle? And I love to see one based on Brian Jacque's "Tales of Redwall" series. (And I'd love to design it myself!)

AmDrag

Dresden Files.

It has a huge fanbase, a rich world, and it's 13 books in and only about half finished, so there's plenty of material to draw upon.

There are a few properties that I would love to see:

1. World of Darkness- Yes, I know, it's owned by White Wolf. However, I really feel that it would be a great LCG for the sheer fact that there are so many game lines that could be used in it to expand with Chapter Packs. The Core set could have Vamps, Mages, Werewolves and Changelings. They could each have deluxe expansions just on those alone, and add more game lines as it goes.

2. Dr. Who- It's a property that has multiple factions, and is really starting to pick up ground in the US and other parts of the world. The sheer number of things that could happen based on time travel and different incarnations of The Doctor are just astounding.

3. Jim Butcher's Codex Alera Series- This is just because I enjoy the setting. There are 3 main factions that could be played (And at least 2 of those factions could be split into multiple sub factions). The combinations of different characters with their different Furycrafting abilities could be something that could make for an interesting mechanic.

Theomnipotentsco said:

2. Dr. Who- It's a property that has multiple factions, and is really starting to pick up ground in the US and other parts of the world. The sheer number of things that could happen based on time travel and different incarnations of The Doctor are just astounding.

I got into Doctor Who recently and I whole heartedly agree this needs a game in the LCG.

dboeren said:

NETRUNNER

I highly agree. A cyberpunk-based LCG could have enormoous potential if it used a new and unique way of running the game. I love the coop of LOTR, the madness and case-solving of Call of Cthulhu, and the intrigue of Game of Thrones. However, GOT and CoC ultimately have somewhat similar goals and mechanics. LOTR and Star Wars are going to be coop games.

A new and intriguing version of Netrunner or any cyberpunk styled game would be nice. Perhaps a two player game in whch you are both Netrunners (or whatever term you wish to call them) playing against a government/corporation deck. You'd be playing against that corporation deck, but not as a team. Rather it would be for one of you to finish your objective first.

In some situations you'd actually have to help each other to defeat corporate goons/plots, but then just as fast turn on one another to accomplish the job. The mechanics of the game would force situations like this, where you would need to work together or fail together, yet just as quickly you'd need to turn on each other or work against each other, but always with the corporation/government in the background undermining you both.

Something along those lines :)