Gencon next week! Please take photos!

By Supertoe, in BattleLore

I think we might still get elves

I hope so. After reading through the detailed page for Runewars: Miniature Game, I'm feeling kind of indifferent to it. I think the only thing it has over BattleLore at the moment is that it is new and BattleLore is not.

Yup. Seems two games for a different public. I hope Battle lore won't be shut down because of the new RW

Yup. Seems two games for a different public. I hope Battle lore won't be shut down because of the new RW

I don't see that happening.

Guess you were right about ending the relationship with GW, the terrinoth warhammer remake was something FFG were supposedly not allowed to do by the GW contract.

So whilst Battlelore is a command colors Warhammer lite in a box, with expansions, but no waves and

Runewars will be more like Warhammer itself and certainly have waves of expansions...

Seems like Battlelore is pretty dead...

I just can't believe it. I mean, it was inevitable, and I've known it was coming since February, but it still hurts now that it is here.

Can I use the original runewars as a campaign system for new runewars?

Somebody more motivated than me, make it so.

I'm with you. Very sad to see no news about BattleLore. :(

At least, there should be a last 2-packs army expansion (elves!).

Hmm... disappointed to not hear anything new Battlelore. I'm not quite ready to think it's dead however. It was a long time waiting for the first expansions, and it's still less than a year since the Undead were released. Might just be wishful hoping but time will tell.

I'm not sure what to think of the new RW mini game. It looks like an evolution/mashup of X-Wing, Diskwars and Armada and that's a very different game than Battlelore. One is an "all-in-one" Command and Colors wargame focused around hexes, cards, etc. while the other uses the same open board, movement template system exemplified in X-Wing. I imagine it will be as open to customization and army building as X-Wing and fit in nicely with the FFG organized play format.

I can appreciate offering it as a gateway to the hobby side of miniatures but I can only imagine X-Wing has, in part, sold so well because the pre-painted miniatures simply look great right out of the box. Pitting an unpainted (or modestly painted) army up against someone with the talent to make theirs look like those on the box might be a little underwhelming.

As for me personally, 90% of the games I play are with my 14 year old son, and as hard as I tried he didn't care for X-Wing (or Diskwars, or Armada) because he didn't like fiddling around with rules and templates. I can't see this being a hit for us like Battlelore is.

I'm with you. Very sad to see no news about BattleLore. :(

At least, there should be a last 2-packs army expansion (elves!).

I think if we got two Latari Elves army packs, I could consider this game complete. I would be able to play it happily for years without new expansions and I wouldn't feel like something was missing from the game.

Sadly I think the game is done, without any announcements FFG has put a fork in it. Elves were suppose to be released and weren't. This was how the first one died and now it seems the 2nd is dying the same death.

Shouldn't take a whole year or more to release the elves which I know have been in the works for some time. If FFG can't even make a small announcement about something that is complete (and one doesn't need to put much research in regards to elves - lots to go off), that should speak volumes of where BL is heading, sadly.

And no I won't release my source..but pretty sad that FFG can't even say anything about Battlelore. C&C is quite popular so it can't be because of it. Maybe the numbers are not there for fantasy....sigh!

And without the 4th army, basically no organized play since that was what needed to be done. So any hopes have been dashed as well....very sad FFG!

Edited by Caboose

Sadly I think the game is done, without any announcements FFG has put a fork in it. Elves were suppose to be released and weren't. This was how the first one died and now it seems the 2nd is dying the same death.

Shouldn't take a whole year or more to release the elves which I know have been in the works for some time. If FFG can't even make a small announcement about something that is complete (and one doesn't need to put much research in regards to elves - lots to go off), that should speak volumes of where BL is heading, sadly.

And no I won't release my source..but pretty sad that FFG can't even say anything about Battlelore . C&C is quite popular so it can't be because of it. Maybe the numbers are not there for fantasy....sigh!

And without the 4th army, basically no organized play since that was what needed to be done. So any hopes have been dashed as well....very sad FFG!

What?

Please explain.

And no I won't release my source..but pretty sad that FFG can't even say anything about Battlelore . C&C is quite popular so it can't be because of it. Maybe the numbers are not there for fantasy....sigh!

What?

Please explain.

No worries. White paper is made to be filled with words. Not all of them have sense. Saying "I know the truth but I won't disclose my source" for me means nothing. Evidence, facts, not conspiracy theorists, please

As for the game being dead: as long as I don't hear anything from FFG, it means the game is not dead. Maybe on pause, maybe has not good health, maybe I don't know. If you check Chris's latest InFlight report, he started saying "we have a new building...", something that can put a few projects on pause. And clearly, if you have to pause something, you don't pause Star Wars, you pause your own IPs.

This doesn't mean I'm happy for the lack of news; it simply means that the lack of news could be due to many things, not necessarily bad ones for the game.

Come on, Julia. Wake up and smell the Games Workshop! FFG never announces official ends to their games, unless they have OP. Like, do you honestly believe that Rune Age will receive another expansion just because they haven't announced an end? Sorry to lash out, but I hate it when people say "until they announce an end there isn't one". They never announce ends. Ever.

Well, I'll believe Rune Age is dead when it is no longer "Waiting for Reprint" on their upcoming page. Same goes for BattleLore. I think there's a chance they could make an expansion until they aren't selling the rest of the product anymore.

I'm with Garrett on this one. I don't know if RuneAge will receive further love; but I know that when Twilight Imperium was considered a closed line by almost everyone when a new expansion was released, and it was a good one.

Same with Dominion: the game must have ended after Dark Ages, and yet we had Adventures and Empires, and each of these was good. It's not FFG clearly, but marketing rules are always the same: as long as a product sells, people owning the rights over said products will be interested in producing more for that line. So, the real king of the scene is the market

I think your logic is sound Julia, but I have a hard time imagining seeing anything appearing for Battlelore any time soon since I'm sure they will be pushing Runewars Miniatures pretty strongly until release.

I sincerely hope I'm proved wrong since I would love to have a 4th faction, but I'm not feeling optimistic about it =/

Hmm can somebody on Gencon just ask a question to FFG employees? A simple answer to: Is Battlelore 2ed a dropped game, or will it receive new expansions.

Standard yes or no will suffice.

If I were there, I would have asked each and every one of them for answer.

We'll know for certain if the holiday sale comes up and Battlelore is on it, like they did with Battles of Westeros last year.

I'm with Garrett on this one. I don't know if RuneAge will receive further love; but I know that when Twilight Imperium was considered a closed line by almost everyone when a new expansion was released, and it was a good one.

Same with Dominion: the game must have ended after Dark Ages, and yet we had Adventures and Empires, and each of these was good. It's not FFG clearly, but marketing rules are always the same: as long as a product sells, people owning the rights over said products will be interested in producing more for that line. So, the real king of the scene is the market

Sorry Julia but dominion is a different beast than Battlelore. Donald communicates with the community of Dominion and yes he had said Dark Ages was the last one. Then released the others with much fanfare,etc. Sometimes one needs to take a break and recharge and I think that is what Donald needed.

Sadly FFG rarely communicates with fans. They never declare a line "dead" officially or not. Sadly they "abused" Mr. Borg by attaching Battlelore name to Westeros. It had very little to do with Battlelore other than to have a defined line of families/races. And then release 2nd Battlelore edition..again other than Mr. Borg a small piece of the game.

As anyone that knows Richard, he likes to meet and play with fans. Sadly FFG has moved him to just be just a name on a box. He has lots of ideas to use and has run quite a lot of test runs with other races (applies to both 1st and 2nd editions). Sadly DoW sold the game since it was losing money and FFG took it and did what I stated above.

And one doesn't think elves are not ready for 2nd Battlelore to even mention as possible expansion in the state of the game by FFG when numerous places and folks have mention them?? Everyone expected them to mentioned and they weren't. Again another drop by FFG to keep the line going on. All one has to do it go back to the undead release when people were saying it was undead or elf race to be released when the undead was released. And FFG mentions nothing today for what benefit...other than to disappoint BL fans again. gen con is a big event to do these announcements for maximum effect. When nothing is said it speaks volumes....

Sadly Battlelore doesn't have anything to do with Star Wars or other "hot" commodities but it does have quite a few dedicated fans. Obviously the sales numbers were not good enough to warrant expansion. Sure there might be news later on but why not announce it at one of the bigger gaming events?!? Big miss by FFG..since if memory serves the past 2 Battlelore announcements where at Gen Con the last 2 years. So BL players expected it to get some mention/announcement.

I think we might still get elves

I hope so. After reading through the detailed page for Runewars: Miniature Game, I'm feeling kind of indifferent to it. I think the only thing it has over BattleLore at the moment is that it is new and BattleLore is not.

I also read it with my playmate. Afterwards she looked at me and told me she won't play this game with me since she doesn't like tabletops. Playing BL she accepts since it's similar to chess with magic.

Personally I'm interested in the new Runewars but if I can't play it with one of my girls I'm not going to buy it unless it's cheap enough.

Also I don't see such a game as equivalent for Battlelore since common tabletops are more based on luck compared with BL since you have no static fields and have to measure everything with your eyes. Even if you are allowed to use more than your eyes it's tricky to have everything in sight.

So I still hope there is a BL expansion. If not there will be a next edition some years ahead which might use the wave of a (hopefully) successful launch of RW.

Hmm can somebody on Gencon just ask a question to FFG employees? A simple answer to: Is Battlelore 2ed a dropped game, or will it receive new expansions.

No sanely run business will allow any employee to give you anything other than "I can't comment" as an answer to such a loaded question.

Edited by Don_Silvarro

The more I think of RuneWars, the more I'm convinced that this new game doesn't mean the end for the BattleLore line. For different reasons:

a) RuneWars and BattleLore appeal to a different type of audience. The former is for miniature collectors, is heavy on price, and will be heavier as soon as different waves of creatures are announced for the different armies, and new armies enter the competition. Also, ANA CEO Chris Petersen during the latest InFlight records said they have a new "miniature division", i.e. people working specifically on miniature games and so on. So, this game is directed towards the market of the miniature games not to the market of boardgames. It's true that in some cases the two could overlap, but it's a minimal overlapping

b) RuneWars appears more a declaration of war to GW; and I welcome the thing. True, this could mean the collaboration between the two companies stop, but it's interesting to have alternatives on the market for those who are willing to enter fantasy miniature games. So far GW was allowed to do whatever they wanted, and this is never good for the market, nor for the hobby. Many could think it's a hazardous move, but I trust that the company thought and made researches on the market before going this way

c) BattleLore is a sort of independent game that could be used as a simplified RuneWars: cheaper in price, it's a show-off for races, units and the Terrinoth world. Had I to pick one to start wth, I'll go with BT because it's lower commitment

No sanely run business will allow any employee to give you anything other than "I can't comment" as an answer to such a loaded question.

Especially when the CEO of said company yesterday had a 30 minutes of Q&A: if beans were to be spilled, that was the time.

In any case, over history, several times such a question (even if for a different game) was asked to FFG; the answer has always been: "as long as you see a game in our catalogue, then the game is not dead"

Caboose,

I understand your point of view, and what you're saying, but still:

- I imagine companies pay mr. Borg for using his ideas and game designs, so, had he not agreed, he'd not have signed the contract. And in any case, I still don't see any complaint from mr. Borg anywhere

- I don't understand you point about mr. Borg having developed expansions for 2nd edition. He's not even credited for the core set of second edition. Credits are: "Original BattleLore Game Design: Richard Berg". Second edition was developed by Robert Kouba (check the learn to play, if you wish); and same goes for all expansion, mr. Borg is credited only for the original design and nothing more. And as said in a previous post, I've been alpha tester for all the published expansions of BattleLore and I never had the pleasure of exchanging a line of comments with mr. Borg: other people were developing the game, as stated in the rulebooks. So, for me, there's nothing of mr. Borg in any of these expansions, otherwise he'd have been credited

- as for everyone expecting Elves to be announced: everyone is a strong pronoun, I don't think everyone was expecting them. Possibly many were hoping for them, but it's another pair of shoes. Other games had nothing announced for (see Eldritch Horror for example, it's the first GenCon with no announcements for the game) but no one is complaining about Nikki Valens being mistreated or the line being killed by the just announced AH LCG or the reboot of Mansions

Edited by Julia

The more I think of RuneWars, the more I'm convinced that this new game doesn't mean the end for the BattleLore line. For different reasons:

a) RuneWars and BattleLore appeal to a different type of audience. The former is for miniature collectors, is heavy on price, and will be heavier as soon as different waves of creatures are announced for the different armies, and new armies enter the competition. Also, ANA CEO Chris Petersen during the latest InFlight records said they have a new "miniature division", i.e. people working specifically on miniature games and so on. So, this game is directed towards the market of the miniature games not to the market of boardgames. It's true that in some cases the two could overlap, but it's a minimal overlapping

b) RuneWars appears more a declaration of war to GW; and I welcome the thing. True, this could mean the collaboration between the two companies stop, but it's interesting to have alternatives on the market for those who are willing to enter fantasy miniature games. So far GW was allowed to do whatever they wanted, and this is never good for the market, nor for the hobby. Many could think it's a hazardous move, but I trust that the company thought and made researches on the market before going this way

c) BattleLore is a sort of independent game that could be used as a simplified RuneWars: cheaper in price, it's a show-off for races, units and the Terrinoth world. Had I to pick one to start wth, I'll go with BT because it's lower commitment

I agree with all that logic. My problem is that it has been ages since the last one.

Plus, we all know that Runewars is just WFB, post Age of Sigmar. Battlelore and WFB coexisted nicely.

Edited by Toenail