TheDearth presents: NPC & Creatures Cards

By the_dearth, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Hi!

A while ago, I created a basic custom card template for NPCs, ships, weapons and other categories . The main problem was both getting the data and finding good images.

I wanted to relaunch the project of generating adversary cards that can be easily used at the table, and I would like to offer my current results with you:

Star Wars RPG: NPC & Creatures Cards

nq28Slo.png

I took the data available at swrpg.viluppo.net and integrated them within Adobe InDesign to automatically generate NPC cards. Currently, there are 530 adversaries in their database and you can find as many cards to download.

This is an ongoing project and I am not sure if all calculations and code work correctly, so I am looking forward to both feedback regarding some errors / logic mistakes but also hints for design. I plan to tweak the design a little bit in the next few weeks but I wanted to get the cards out now.

I used a few resources, credits for those go to:

Data : Aahzmandius_Karrde, putting all th e work in to bring the data to the index

Stat Block Format: C. Steven Ross from Triumph and Despair for his revised stat block I took inspirations from

Stat Block Template : Triliean for his template I merged with my old template

Cover Image : Mike Caprotti, https://www.artstation.com/artist/capprotti

6v4vbrU.png

February 2017:

133 Creature Cards / v1.0 / PDF

Download

UpCMQ5Q.png

June 2016:

530 NPC Cards / v1.1 / PDF

Download

5jZAt1b.png

May 28th, 2016:

530 NPC Cards / v1 / PDF

Download

Template:

Additionally, some of you have asked for an empty, fillable template which I have created as well:

Download

It's fillable with Adobe Reader and should allow you to create your own cards. The template functionalities are pretty limited, e.g. no dice symbols.

Changelog:

February 2017:

• Uploaded v1.0 of Creature Cards
  • Uploaded fillable template

June 2016:

• Fixed some typos
  • Added color-coding

May 2016:

• Uploaded original set of cards

Looking forward to your feedback!

TheDearth

Edited by thedearth2
Added creatures and fillable template

Yoink!

Oh yes.

Yoink!

Ditto.

Many thanks!

Amazing work, thanks!

thanks for the great work. I had a quick look and it seems that the comma separation with the gear section isn't working properly.

Example:

ALEENA WANDERER

Gear:

Traveling PackRobes ()

The swrpg.viluppo.net page has it as

Robes, Traveling Pack.

One card up (AIMEE „FLUTTERPLUME“ KRAEFF) has similar problems.

Thank you.

thanks for the great work. I had a quick look and it seems that the comma separation with the gear section isn't working properly.

Example:

ALEENA WANDERER

Gear:

Traveling PackRobes ()

The swrpg.viluppo.net page has it as

Robes, Traveling Pack.

One card up (AIMEE „FLUTTERPLUME“ KRAEFF) has similar problems.

Thank you for your feedback! I looked into it and it doesn't put the comma when combining gear and armor. I will upload a corrected version in the next days.

200.gif

My only suggestion would have been different colours for ease of reference between Nemesis, Rivals and Minions. Otherwise, that's outstanding.

Looking at them again, I confess that I’m not really a fan of the vertical stat block format. But maybe that’s just me.

But despite what I’ve said in the past about GM Hooly’s cards, I think I do actually like keeping the statblock and all the descriptive text on a relatively plain background, which makes everything easy to read.

My next step would be to put appropriate graphics on the other side of the card. But that would be entirely optional.

Looking at them again, I confess that I’m not really a fan of the vertical stat block format. But maybe that’s just me.

But despite what I’ve said in the past about GM Hooly’s cards, I think I do actually like keeping the statblock and all the descriptive text on a relatively plain background, which makes everything easy to read.

My next step would be to put appropriate graphics on the other side of the card. But that would be entirely optional.

Do you have an example what you mean with appropriate graphics?

Something that you can show to the players and say “This is what it looks like”.

So, if it’s a Stormtrooper minion card, you put a picture of a Stormtrooper minion — or maybe a minion group.

Feel free to keep them sleeved with an opaque back so that the players can’t see the graphics, if you want to be able to hold them in your hands and not worry about the players sneaking a peek.

If you do want to show them to the players, then you could double-sleeve them, with the interior sleeve being 100% clear on front and back. In which case, you pull the interior sleeve/card out of the exterior sleeve, show the players what it looks like, and then put it back in the opaque exterior sleeve.

I can already see this helping me a ton. Is there any way to add an index so I can quickly go to specific npcs to print them out as needed?

I also noted that these cards appear to be using French-style quotes, so „FLUTTERPLUME“ instead of “FLUTTERPLUME”.

Can we get another edition of these cards with alternative quote characters and accents?

Thanks!

Something that you can show to the players and say “This is what it looks like”.So, if it’s a Stormtrooper minion card, you put a picture of a Stormtrooper minion — or maybe a minion group.

Images for the adversary is the Holy grail but I'm afraid we won't get there. My last attempt at it was all hand made, where I crafted each card individually and looked for a picture online. It turned out that, at least for me, it is very hard to find good pictures while being incredibly time intensive.

This time, the approach worked because it's (almost completely) automated. I start the data gatherer, then plug the data into InDesign and it will export all 530 cards automatically. With images, each card would require personal tweaking to position the image.

If someone wants to go through all the cards, look for high quality images and provide them to me, I could look into it, but for now I'd rather focus on fixing the small errors you guys found and brining other stuff like ships, gear, etc. on cards as well.

I can already see this helping me a ton. Is there any way to add an index so I can quickly go to specific npcs to print them out as needed?

http://swrpg.viluppo.net/adversaries/adversary/2315/.

I'll eventually add an index, but for now you could look it up on swrpg.viluppo.net and then ctrl-f it in the PDF.

Edited by thedearth2

Images for the adversary is the Holy grail but I'm afraid we won't get there. My last attempt at it was all hand made, where I crafted each card individually and looked for a picture online. It turned out that, at least for me, it is very hard to find good pictures while being incredibly time intensive.

I think that’s something we could crowd-source, but yeah — as the primary guy who has worked to find images to attach to things at [1], I know the pain you’re talking about.

If someone wants to go through all the cards, look for high quality images and provide them to me, I could look into it, but for now I'd rather focus on fixing the small errors you guys found and brining other stuff like ships, gear, etc. on cards as well.

Fair enough. Thanks!

[1] http://swrpg.viluppo.net/

Hi!

I updated the cards to version 1.1 (after my 2GB RAM Notebook crashed like a million times to output all the cards) :D

Changelog v1 -> v1.1:
- Color-coded the cards depending on adversary type (thanks GM Hooly)
- Fixed the Armor and Gear separation error (thanks foobar09)
- Fixed the quotes (thanks bradknowles)
- Added an Index (thanks Sixgun387)

UpCMQ5Q.png

As for the last version:

I have a horrible attention to details, so something might have slipped. If you find any errors or logical issues, please let me know!

Edited by thedearth2

As for the last version:

I have a horrible attention to details, so something might have slipped. If you find any errors or logical issues, please let me know!

I like to think I’m pretty good at paying attention to tiny details, after all that’s what got me drafted into being a member of Rancor Publishing Group. ;)

However, I can’t promise to spend a lot of time looking at these in the immediate future — Work is … interfering … with playtime. I will download the latest edition and take a quick glance, and if I get a chance, I’ll do a deeper dive as soon as I can. But I can’t currently make any promises as to when that might be.

This is awesome!

Can I make a request? When I print them, most of the text is hard to read...my eyes aren't as good as they used to be. I wanted to print them larger (probably 4 per page), and adobe reader will only print multiple pages on 1 at the original size or smaller. Can you make a version where each page is larger? And maybe bold the text? I found the bold of the weapons to be much easier to read than the standard text.

Thanks!

If you print multiple pages per sheet in Acrobat, the pages are scaled. So choosing a custom format should enlarge the pages therefore. If that does not work for you, then you could try to export the pages as jpgs (Acrobat > File > Export to > Image > Jpg) and then you could rearrange them in another document.

This is fantastic, going to be immensely useful for my game.

As for errors; I noticed page 126 "Swamptrooper" is spelled Swamptro pp er.

So I've used these for a couple of games now and they are literally AMAZING! Thanks so much for creating them?!

Really great to bring together the info from the books into a nice bite-sized chunk for the table.

Is there a set one for the creatures in the database too?

All the best,

Andy

One minor question for the OP; your "promo art" in the first post features a lovely tuckbox... would you happen to have plans for such a thing? Or was that just a mockup (if so, great job!)?