Vykes' Shipwright

By Vykes, in Star Wars: Armada Painting and Modification

I've goneback and lightened up my Imperial Squadrons, too... The Dark sombre grey will look good in points, but I certainly prefer the Crisper feeling - so I'm with you here, Vyksey..

Just wish I was up to snuff even with your "needs some touchups" stuff :D

Edited by Drasnighta

Oh thank goodness, I thought it was just me. So all my Imperial squadrons are a little bit more New Hope-y. That said -smirks- they also make a rally nice base for some filters like I'm planning on the phantoms. At least its easier to lighten appropriately with layering. I guess some degree of shading is possible too, just feels more finicky.

Oh indeed. Taking a Darker Grey like MechStandard as the "Base colour" basically means you can't shade much, as you're going harder and harder towards black, and it doesn't contrast with the Solar Panels... I mean, you get some , but nowhere near as much.

Starting with a bseline that's lighter, you've still got all the room for highlight gradiants, and shading gradiants that doesn't reduce to you half-a-step-from-black anyway...

So no, good Call. And again, well executed, even if you're not happy with some touches to do be done :)

Exactly, aside from a bit of deep coal colour for the bottom brackets of the wings (creating that NMM style transition that I like) it's just not worth the effort to shade down on a fighter model. At least, not to me anyway. I'd rather transition up, then if need be, glaze it and matte the thing down.

Are they just taking mels ships, removing 20% material and 20% detail?

Dang, shading and highlighting on a imperial fighters.. Those bombers look spectacular.

... Ginky-daaahling.... I think you just sorta nailed FFG's recipe there. Man, 20% and 20% sounds about right. But sometimes that 20% completes this weird uncanny valley effect, like Rebels ships does to the real things. Thanks Darthain, mate! I do what I can!

Well, the newest little bits and bobs are in. Still got one more flight of bombers (Gamma? Or spire? Or something else?), and two flights of fighters. But for now...

Int_zpslytdyknp.jpg

I need to buy even more Imperial squadrons.

Edited by Vykes

Thanks Darthain, mate! I do what I can!

I'm probably going to end up going back to all my finished imp squads, and adding some highlights... thanks as well, I guess. I see where you are doing it, I just have my work cut out highlighting against Ivory, we'll see how effective it is on new paints first.

You should do up a set of Royal TIE fighters with a shuttle. You would do a good job with the Red ships.

Edited by stuh42asl

Ivory can be toned using umber or even deep browns and eventually to a coal grey (something not neutral but slightly tinted, though coal is admittedly cool). You can do it! :)

oooo, Red ties with a shuttle... something with that shuttle, maybe red, stripes, something. Good idea, veeeery good idea.

I've a few ways to tackle it overall, one invoices going white/offwhite (how much contrast do we want after all), the other the opposite, bone white, hues on either side.

Failing that counter shade with some umber-ivory could work, if I wanted to go further. I tend to use burnt sienna for a touch of shading on the gold.

My rebel fleet is almost campaign ready, so back to imps soon. Those vts look like too much fun.

That should be pretty good to see, mate. It depends on the contrast and tone of course. -nods- Ooo, a campaign fleet, can't wait to see what that'd be too... VT's, they is good.

As for me, thanks to a seeeeeriously awesome mate, I got my grubby claws on a Pelta! The lights aren't done yet, but the rest looks right good. Still thinking of a good name . 'Tis the Gorgon !

Peltas_zpsingqdtcq.jpg

Edited by Vykes

Wow, that is amazing Vykes! Definately one of your best.

Need to stop looking at your thread... makes me feel inadequate, haha

That should be pretty good to see, mate. It depends on the contrast and tone of course. -nods- Ooo, a campaign fleet, can't wait to see what that'd be too... VT's, they is good.

As for me, thanks to a seeeeeriously awesome mate, I got my grubby claws on a Pelta! The lights aren't done yet, but the rest looks right good. Still thinking of a good name.

"The garbage will do!"

I.e. love the worn look: really screams "rebel scum terrorist cell!"

-laughs- thanks mates! Still needs the lights on but it's good to know. Dur, mate, all I can think of is "I was pretty, one upon a time!" I'm pretty happy with how the more rugged scummy, rusty Pelta looks. Definitely at home with the Rebs.

Ded, you done got it, keep at it and you'll surpass me in no time, eh? Inadequacy, weeelll, that's 20 years of wasted time painting instead of being awesome and doing stuff. Though I'm catching up in that respect :P

Tell ya a true story but then I'd have to kill ya :P

Edited by Vykes

Nice chum bucket.

As for me, thanks to a seeeeeriously awesome mate, I got my grubby claws on a Pelta! The lights aren't done yet, but the rest looks right good. Still thinking of a good name . 'Tis the Gorgon !

Peltas_zpsingqdtcq.jpg

That is seriously awesome work. There is no such thing as a pristine warship...........the only way is if you walk into the Ship Store, and buy a brand new hot off the lot ship still in shrink wrap and with that awesome new ship smell :)

Btw I am borrowing your dropship paint job you did a while back. I have five of the rebels ship to paint for Armada. Rebels don't have dropships so guess what, that paint schemes assault drop :)

Shane

-laughs- Greaaaaat, I'm stuck with a mental image of Imperial officers peeling a mile of shrink wrap of an ISD-II while others dispose of ten thousand metric tons of packing peanuts in the Death Star's garbage compactors. haha, go for it, mate! Five?.... now that's impressive. I do love the idea of a Rebel drop assault :P

-laughs- Greaaaaat, I'm stuck with a mental image of Imperial officers peeling a mile of shrink wrap of an ISD-II while others dispose of ten thousand metric tons of packing peanuts in the Death Star's garbage compactors. haha, go for it, mate! Five?.... now that's impressive. I do love the idea of a Rebel drop assault :P

I worked in a huge warehouse with both items..........The wrap would be a pain in the ass, but chasing billions of foam peanuts in space.............gives me a whole new image of an asteroid field of packing peanuts...............and ships........... I could imagine the poor SOB who had to go outside the ship to clean up foam pellets stuck to the ship due to static electricity. The ships would look like giant puffballs. They are hard to clean up on earth imagine them in space:) Gives players a whole new obstacle to work with.........or avoid.

I worked in a huge warehouse with both items..........The wrap would be a pain in the ass, but chasing billions of foam peanuts in space.............gives me a whole new image of an asteroid field of packing peanuts...............and ships........... I could imagine the poor SOB who had to go outside the ship to clean up foam pellets stuck to the ship due to static electricity. The ships would look like giant puffballs. They are hard to clean up on earth imagine them in space:) Gives players a whole new obstacle to work with.........or avoid.

That's not a problem, quick pass through the local star's corona should just melt them off.

Peltas_zpsingqdtcq.jpg

Wow, that's some beautiful weathering. I think that might be simply the best Armada repaint I've ever seen. Also, I was sitting here, thinking "that battered, rusted-up old red and steel-gray cruiser looks familiar, but how?" Then the Gorgon name hit me. Inspiration?

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by pasewi

That is a sweet Dreadnaught model. I would love to myself one of those as well.

Well, it's here: pic3168786_lg.jpg

So which of theses Dreadnoughts is the correct type for the old Katana fleet?

Aww, thanks a ton Pasewi, that means a lot. You know, I can't say that it was inspiration (never played SC II even if I liked BW :P ) But great minds think alike as I'd have unscrupulously taken that patterning if I knew about it :P Gorgon was picked because I kept thinking 'with those forward batteries, it looks like a bull' and nicknamed my command variant the Tauross .

Hmm jbc, mate. I'm fairly certain it's the bottom/right one, the pencil ship. It's what I think was shown (Katana was modified Dreads... so maybe even a Mk.I Type I assault frigate might be close). I can't remember if I'm thinking Katana or Outbound Flight's cradle.

625x465_15753656_9254809_1474309110.jpg

That is a sweet Dreadnaught model. I would love to myself one of those as well.

Well, it's here: pic3168786_lg.jpg

So which of theses Dreadnoughts is the correct type for the old Katana fleet?

The bottom one was the traditional Dreadnought, the top one is Fractalsponge's take on the Dreadnought.