Vykes' Shipwright

By Vykes, in Star Wars: Armada Painting and Modification

Feeling rather prolific?

I like the green, giving me some ideas certainly. I enjoy ideas.

You're making me giddy to be able to paint again. I have a few Hammerhead Corvettes on their way, with luck they can look half as good as these.

If you got any extra ideas about that last flight of Z's, I'd be up to hearing it Darthain :P Huzzah MPG! Oh man, Hammerhead corvettes? The Reb transports or the upgunned version? I keep thinking about snagging a few of the upgunned ones. I think you can do it mate, looking forward to seeing 'em too. Get to painting, chop-chop! -laughs-

I got a few of the upgunned versions, I personally like them better than the transports. Of course with my luck, FFG will announce them in wave VI the minute i finish them.

Edited by MPG

Oh man, don't I know it. The moment you pick um up, they go into development at FFG's lair of torture, sorrow, and unending joy. I do wish ships that size came in pairs over trios but I'm really thinking of nabbing a few upgunned as well.

Ey mates, glad to be back. Well, Merry Christmas to all first and foremost.

Aye Stuh , I think that a sandstone look -could- work but it has to be executed properly, eh? I may try it some day soon. Gottmituns , consider it the gauntlet of a challenge then! But flu? Sorry to hear mate, real sorry about that. Hope everything's getting better and feeling better for today. . Thanks Dedmanzhand , glad to see ya back too. Aaaah Darthain , the spectrum is good, 'tis great. Both are needed, aren't they? Besides, you do good work mate. Aye, I know what you mean. I have to finish up a bunch of Imp stuff for the CC thing.

Got a small present I suppose, I finished up the good Lieutenant to compliment my Green squadron (Respite Garrison, Militia pilots). I added in the X-wing figure that I ended up basing it on (a retouched Black Sun). But... now I wonder if I should try the weathering on the Armada Z's. But I still have one more flight of prepped grey Z-95's, but I haven't got a clue what I want to do with them.

Blount_zps7adrzoua.jpg

You know, in addition to these.

HOW DARE YOU BE THIS COOL!!!

197563677.gif :lol: 60SA.gif

SCUM%2BBS%2BZ-95%2BHH.PNG

SCUM%2BBS%2BLOGO.PNG SCUM%2BBS%2BZ-95%2BHH.PNG SCUM%2BBS%2BFS31.PNG SCUM%2BBS%2BZ-95%2BHH.PNG

SCUM%2BBS%2BZ-95%2BHH.PNG

-bursts out laughing- I dare not! So... now what do I do? Is there a fine? Do I have to hike up my pants, buy a pair of suspenders, and put on a pair of Urkel glasses before I paint a black sun firespray? 'Cause I will if that's required to even out the 'cool' factor :P

Ey mates, glad to be back. Well, Merry Christmas to all first and foremost.

Aye Stuh , I think that a sandstone look -could- work but it has to be executed properly, eh? I may try it some day soon. Gottmituns , consider it the gauntlet of a challenge then! But flu? Sorry to hear mate, real sorry about that. Hope everything's getting better and feeling better for today. . Thanks Dedmanzhand , glad to see ya back too. Aaaah Darthain , the spectrum is good, 'tis great. Both are needed, aren't they? Besides, you do good work mate. Aye, I know what you mean. I have to finish up a bunch of Imp stuff for the CC thing.

Got a small present I suppose, I finished up the good Lieutenant to compliment my Green squadron (Respite Garrison, Militia pilots). I added in the X-wing figure that I ended up basing it on (a retouched Black Sun). But... now I wonder if I should try the weathering on the Armada Z's. But I still have one more flight of prepped grey Z-95's, but I haven't got a clue what I want to do with them.

Blount_zps7adrzoua.jpg

You know, in addition to these.

o8xxnc.jpg

Say Brah could you post a picture comparing MEL's ZED with FFG's ZED?

I NEED to build a BLACK SUN Bandits cute little force for Marda next year.

:lol:

I'll do you one better:

Zs_zpsgsjthcxn.jpg From Left to right: Tsalt Z95 (Space Supply Depot), Mel's Z95, FFG's Z-95.

Tsalt's are the least expensive, but more narrow, fragile, very much a display piece feel with fine details on the wing cannons and lacking under-slung missiles. It feels like they can be scaled up to X-wing detail which can make them a little finicky. Mel's is chunky and feels right, love 'em with the more pronounced nose and thick details. FFG's might sound the least impressive, but they had the least clean up, they painted great, they have a shocking amount of detail compared to earlier fighters. Not knocking them, for a plastic mold that's incredibly good.

For the record, Mel's are my favorite out of the box, Tsalt's details are just insane on the cannons (and yet it required some putty to fill a few striations on the fuselage. Green stuff on these and filed.... yeah.) FFG's gets the award for 'Most Improved' and the detail on the missiles in particular is great, probably the best of the bunch.

Edited by Vykes

I'll do you one better:

Zs_zpsgsjthcxn.jpg From Left to right: Tsalt Z95 (Space Supply Depot), Mel's Z95, FFG's Z-95.

Tsalt's are the least expensive, but more narrow, fragile, very much a display piece feel with fine details on the wing cannons and lacking under-slung missiles. It feels like they can be scaled up to X-wing detail which can make them a little finicky. Mel's is chunky and feels right, love 'em with the more pronounced nose and thick details. FFG's might sound the least impressive, but they had the least clean up, they painted great, they have a shocking amount of detail compared to earlier fighters. Not knocking them, for a plastic mold that's incredibly good.

For the record, Mel's are my favorite out of the box, Tsalt's details are just insane on the cannons (and yet it required some putty to fill a few striations on the fuselage. Green stuff on these and filed.... yeah.) FFG's gets the award for 'Most Improved' and the detail on the missiles in particular is great, probably the best of the bunch.

You are a great help! Are you doing SCUM in cute little raiding fleets too?

:D

Glad to help, mate. -smirks- R-41 Starchasers for Y-wings have been a thing on my mind for a while, though I have an extra Y-wing that I wasn't sure what to do with. Maybe black sun Y's could be a thing too. So maaaaybe I could be convinced to do a 'scum' fleet. I certainly like the notion and it fits with my Alliance 'pirate' philosophy.

Now I need to compile a list of alternate fighters and cap ships.

Glad to help, mate. -smirks- R-41 Starchasers for Y-wings have been a thing on my mind for a while, though I have an extra Y-wing that I wasn't sure what to do with. Maybe black sun Y's could be a thing too. So maaaaybe I could be convinced to do a 'scum' fleet. I certainly like the notion and it fits with my Alliance 'pirate' philosophy.

Now I need to compile a list of alternate fighters and cap ships.

You know you need to do it.

:lol:

I just noticed that Mel took down his ZEDs... UhOh!

:ph34r:

Huh, I didn't notice that. Tsalt's is still up there though. Got some other scum fighters too.

Just two more days then my second set of armada ships and fighters.............................then some mad painting...........oh the insanity of it all.................Must........get........ready ........ to ........paint................ ahaahhahahhahahahaha

You are making me go forward with my Corporate Sector fleet...

Go for it Stuh! Goooooo for it! You too Wes, I wanna see those cor-sec!

Well, we've got a bit more. I've got some Corellian Conflict stuff done, (Bandit Group Z-95's) but the rest is all well and done. But I still had some Armada painting fun.

First of all, a loooooong standing commission (not that long, but earlier this month) Demo, part of the same group as a fleet sent to Worlds. And with it, 4 flotillas of Gozanti (though only a few are pictures... you get the idea).

Demo_zpspxwdsdzb.jpg

Gozanti_zpsbptcnlg2.jpg

And the Vt's. Still need a biiiit of a touch up on a part or two, but not bad for my equivalent of a speed paint.

VT49_zpsjzzkgjj4.jpg

Now we're getting to a few more interesting things: comparisons. Prewarned, FFG still gets a lot of praise for how good their newest squadrons are, for the methods involved, they're awesome. But I thought some might be interested.

Lambda_zpsaut4z2ri.jpg

Mel's shuttle on the left, FFG's on the right.

And what I use for the good Colonel!

Sentinel_zpsvqwcgirn.jpg

And the final Imperial offering, the ILC... and a comparison too! Again, Mel on the left, FFG on the right.

ILC_zpsyj8njqsr.jpg

Now for some rebs. I got the Bandit group done up for my initial CC campaign fleet.

Bandit%20Group_zpsy0xnekwq.jpg

And a rather blasé but still fun, Lancer.

Lancer_zpsmka8chfv.jpg

Anyhow, that's all for now. I'm sure I'll have some CC action soon enough. And, naturally, some Imperial squadrons.

Unbelievably good as always mate!

Balling Lancer. Your exaggerated glows always look spectacular, wish I could hack that (thinking the Arquittens and Gladiator now).

Thanks mates. Aye, I do like the engine bloom myself. I even got a bit lazy on the lancer and used it on that instead of my usual layered method... it's still really pretty good. All airbrush :P

****... now I wish Mel's Arquittens was still available, it looks way more detailed and not to mention larger than the official one.

Awesome job Vykes!

Oh man, don't I know it. Mel's Light Cruiser really is really an incredibly ship. It's bigger, the detail is crisp, and it just looks a little more proportioned (yeah, I was planning to get 1-2 more). Not to mention, Mel's bridge was sharp while the worst thing about FFG's is this almost melted sloppy bridge that took a lot of effort to make as good as it currently is. The only thing that I think I truly prefer about the FFG version is the front bow plates.

Thanks again, mate!

Edited by Vykes

Okay finally received all the new wave ships , and two orders from shape ways. Lots of ships and squadrons to paint. And I think that that may be all that I will get for Starwars Armada. Further waves I think may add just oddball ships. To bad they could not put out a nice sized station, some, astroid stands etc. But that just means we get to have more funnnnnnnnnnn!!!!! Btw Vykes those ships are beautiful.........

Excellent painting Vykes. Love the engine glows, they look amazing. From a complete novice painter, how do you do that so well?!

Thanks mates! Weeeeell Stuh, I do hope you're wrong and something like... say, Rebels or another spin off gets ya some more interest there too, eh? -laughs- I've got a lot left to do until I'm happy. Not the least of which is more Imperial basic fighters some day.

Thanks ElSee! Oh, well most of it is just an airbrush and 3 colours. It can be done with some wet blending but to be honest, the airbrush here just does lighting better than anything else and much quicker. I mean, the lancer's engines were done in maybe 45 seconds at most.

Speaking of Imperial fighters. Mel's still give out more light and are thinner, but the FFG ones are frigging great. The panels confuse me a bit, but nothing bad. They look better in person, who'da guessed?

Defenders_zpslxvl7cmg.jpg

Well, I did something vaguely stupid a while back, I popped my Imperial squadrons in the green. Well, most of them. Here's the start of what you've already seen before, eh? Still need to do a bit of clean up on closer inspection.

Tie%20bombers_zps2xlmwbyw.jpg

I've got a group of Tie bombers I still need to paint up (might paint them Gamma squadron or Spireguard white... thoughts?) Some interceptors up next, then a pair of Tie Ln flights, finally the other Tie phantoms. All while waiting for a Pelta to show up somewhere in stock. CC, you make me do terrible things.

Edited by Vykes