Vykes' Shipwright

By Vykes, in Star Wars: Armada Painting and Modification

W ell, I suppose I should start something here too, shouldn't I? I'll keep this for the painting, commissions, random paint musings stuff, while the Ceknell thread will get the story links and a finished view or two for the ship codeci. Why not, eh? So, let's jump in.

On the Workbench

ust trying the native uploader as that's new.

So, g'day to everyone and welcome to the Shipwright! That sounded better than the alternate ' the painted rat's semi-sensibly updated thread and other unrelated tales'.

And this update's random question: Are the Scurrg H6's or the Rebellion K-wing the true 'silly bombers'?

post-248749-0-74262000-1468909374_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vykes

25ri3bp.jpg

33e5rib.jpg
e5p536.jpg
2czekqa.jpg
n6rhht.jpg
axyly.jpg
2ry0tqp.jpg
2v0kf0o.jpg

a285qv.jpg
2ykb444.jpg
4sfi2s.jpg
213kzsg.jpg
k2bhty.jpg
33c0io1.jpg
6qwu53.jpg
24nim4i.jpg
2n0vrdt.jpg
Still got to redo the Cinder Knights, I'll get to that in the next few weeks.
oa7xw9.jpg
o8wgur.jpg
fycu44.jpg
2n025oy.jpg
219dw6f.jpg
2h4ma0n.jpg
Edited by Vykes

f36iw0.jpg

10sgavl.jpg
343gr5h.jpg
2ivg2mg.jpg
2ewz0uv.jpg
2qvd21k.jpg
4g53c6.jpg
2l95apz.jpg
t0teyx.jpg
24wzr09.jpg
2vkgtgj.jpg

r09jcm.jpg
34nqhiv.jpg
2ytxiqo.jpg
2coikxk.jpg
2qw29ad.jpg
vmvn15.jpg
Edited by Vykes
1zv6a06.jpg

4j3ih3.jpg

6px1ep.jpg

9kz7dh.jpg

288o7ix.jpg

Edited by Vykes

Random bits and bobs

Tokens and markers:

Asteroids

6xvx1l.jpg

Debris Field

334stc6.jpg

Mines

351iss1.jpg

(At least the asteroids and a new station will get done fairly soon. Those have got to be 10 years old at least, from BFG)

k54r5g.jpg

2q18bd4.jpg

10pzolw.jpg

2uig41g.jpg

e8ubeq.jpg

dcfpqu.jpg

2eg6wx5.jpg

1zeidqc.jpg

24nim4i.jpg

fmq429.jpg

2z843s6.jpg

fxxnh0.jpg

2h6ubmb.jpg

1zwm5o5.jpg

Note: What do you think? Alt version of the Liberty or Home One?

vdioeu.jpg

1zv6a06.jpg

o8xxnc.jpg

Edited by Vykes

Mon Astrea

11qmsns.jpg

large.gif

But in all seriousness - this is the greatest collection of awesome I've seen so far.

Makes me want to revisit my rebel fleet now that I actually like to put some effort in my painting.

**** you Vykes! :D

Edited by Polda

Fantastic!! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

So when will we see the next instalment of " Forces of the Ceknell Subsector "?

Edited by Salted Diamond

I vote we don't get any more previews until he gets all of his work done, takes some gorgeous prints, and writes it up into a proper sourcebook that we can get leather-bound :D

Yeah this is quite an impressive catalog, Vykes. Well done.

Vykes,

Your work is pretty much mic dropping worthy when it comes to painting.

749956.png

BOO%2BTOPIC%2BGOOD%2B.png

ARM%252520EMP%252520ISD.png

Oh, so beautiful! Inspiration city!!! Now to find some time to paint. Oh, and acquire some talent. ;)

Dibs on the Hands.

You can have his heart.

We shall consume his talent and take it as our own!

Dibs on the Hands.

You can have his heart.

Dio has rocked for a long, long time,

Now it's time for him to pass the torch.

He has songs of wildebeests and angels,

He has soared on the wings of a demon.

It's time to pass the torch,

You're too old to rock, no more rockin' for you.

We're takin' you to a home,

But we will sing a song about you.

And we will make sure that you're very well taken care of.

You'll tell us secrets that you've learned. Raow!

Your sauce will mix with ours,

And we'll make a good goulash, baby!

Dio, time to go!

You must give your cape and scepter to me...

And a smaller one for KG.

Go! Go! Dio! Dio!

Oh, so beautiful! Inspiration city!!! Now to find some time to paint. Oh, and acquire some talent. ;)

You and me both. . . I can drybrush decently. . . that is about it. . .

Thanks mates, just glad to be back on a painting forum!

Ah, but Polda, It's actually the wings of a RAF Mk.II so nothing of value was lost :P

Hopefully pretty soon Salted. I have a bit written up but most of my overlay and tie fighter sprite resources are gone as my computer died. It'll take me a bit to get them back but I might experiment and see what I can make or even pull from Alliance (when I get that to work).

-laughs- Careful what you vote for Dras. D&D affectionados with home brew settings think about such things more often than anyone would think :P Hands need those ropey bits in the arms to work. The heart, well, I may have sold that to acquire the talent in the first place.

Niiiice BMcDonald. Nice. Although Wayne does remind me why I don't wear a baseball cap.

oh, right, I should put up a bit of a painting guide thing. I'll see if I can make it better with at least one of the Victory class that I need to paint up.

After updating the bits and bobs bit, I guess I should add the not-so-great tutorial.

The Vykes Hull Method (It's not really that special)

Step 0:

-Just make sure to lay down your basecoat over a primer. I used an airbrush and it just so happens that my base colour is also a dual primer.

2sbl3rd.jpg

Step 1:

-This one's very simple, wash the ship is black, or a very dark blue/brown depending on the tone that you want. This one was a straight wash of GW Nuln Oil. settling doesn't matter too much on the plates, it's mostly the recesses that we're worried about.

izp276.jpg

Step 2:

-Reapply the base colour, or you can go one shade brighter (as I did here) just to further exaggerate the difference between the shadows and the main structure that we'll deal with. It's almost like a form of blacklining.

-you can apply the colour fairly heavily in neat, even coats over every raised part of the model. I prefer it to drybrushing just because of the control, but a drybrush can yield good results as well.

29c59nt.jpg

Step 3:

-Here we go about with our first real highlight. It will be pretty heavy, and in general my 'rule of thumb' for adding highlights, is that it should take up half the area of the colour laid down before it. Try to imagine where the light would fall at the front of the plates. (It's looking washed out in the picture, I'll see if I can adjust it any)

-here is where you have a fairly important step for distinction, you can add a lot of little 'lines' to make streaky uneven panels, or use broad 'bending' strokes to connect the plates opposing corners. If you have a square plate, you can use a 'paif of 'J' shapes to make a U' like stroke following the side and slowly curving until it meets the corner diagonal to it. So it's not a straight line, but curved.

15hj0x4.jpg

Step 4:

-this step further accentuates step 3, adding the same contrast at about 1/2 the line's width. This just slowly brings up the highlight. To a clean enough finish. By now the plates should look nice and shiny, and the colour will approach white (or a very soft blue/bone, depending on palette).

-- It's also at this stage where you can 'countershade, using a touch of wash or ink to paint the 'back' of the plate or even around the smallest little raised plates. It shows better in step 5.

eu09a8.jpg

Step 5:

-It seems I used a seperate ship for this picture so pardon the slight variation, but it does bring up another point for this time. The top highlight and an example of countershading.

-The top highlight for this one was white. It will be your absolute lightest colour, and it should be applied conservatively along the edges of the largest separations (different 'decks' as it were), that will bring the ship into focus. The zenith points will be along the ship's dorsal ridge, and along the leading edges of the distinct levels, front and back. Not on every plate.

-The ship should look exceptionally clean by this point, like polished metal. (I can scrounge up some pictures of some Star Destroyers if you'd like me too, I do have one or two at this stage in my records).

20u7eb4.jpg

Step 6:

-This is something of a make or break. It's where you can apply an extra tint or shade after you've let everything properly dry (I recommend sealing the ship with something like testor's dullcoat, or some other varnish at this point.

-Apply the wash/ink/tint in patches that you find appealing. Mine was done via airbrush and used a teal and a purple tinted black to get smooth variations in colour.

2m2thmo.jpg

Step 7:

-There is no pictures, but it is, quite literally, repeating steps 4 and 5, to return the ship's zenith highlights and it's upper most layer to tie the ship's colours in and subdue the effect of the tint. Usually the tint or wash reacts well to the full painted highlights rather than just looking like another coat of paint.

Step 8:

-This ship after step 7 and with full detailing.

w6rtrq.jpg

Ah, but Polda, It's actually the wings of a RAF Mk.II so nothing of value was lost :P

. . . I was going to like that post. . . till I saw that. . .

Dibs on the Hands.

You can have his heart.

That leaves me with the models... no complaints

@Lyraeus, let's not destroy him just yet. He could reveal more of his painting techniques ;)

Huh, guess I was mislead by the fact they look a lot bigger on the tiny MC30.

@Lyraeus, let's not destroy him just yet. He could reveal more of his painting techniques ;)

No. Those Handses are Mines... Mines... Theys is the Precious! PRECIOUS!

Raider-class Corvette
S-104 Sword , S-105 Scimitar , and S-107 Saber, respectively

Imperial Light Cruiser

Sword, Scimitar, Sabre

Your raiders and light cruisers are named the same things.

What are the mines made from? Looks like superglue bottle lids and what else?

Your raiders and light cruisers are named the same things.

I vote we rename the Raiders "Dagger", "Dirk" and "Bent Spork"