have they given up..........

By rulemonkey, in UFS General Discussion

Is anyone else getting the feeling that Fantasy flight might be giving up on this game? Heres a few points to back up my concern

1.No state of the game in months. We have had a state of the game just about every month for years and now they are gone. There was no annoucement that they would stop unless there was major news.

2.They are selling boxes super cheap which seems weird. Selling something with a SMRP of 75 dollars for a fourth of it seems odd. For the longest time this game has backed the local stores. Not holding prereleases at worlds not to affect local prereleasses. Now at the stores busiest time they sell them at a fourth of the price. It seems like they are squeezing what they can while they can and abandon everyone else.

3.Everything that has come out has been printed since worlds or right before. I know this cause a buddy of mine pulled a quest for souls card before out of a tekken box. I pulled a power of the edge out of a tekken box myself.

It just seems like except for us players no one else is around. No James No Steve No anyone.

What are your thoughts? Im not saying the end is near, just that it looks that way. I have no behind the scenes knowledge to know. Has this crossed anyone elses mind?

If anyone still doesn't recognize this, believe it. The game is dying.

The first sign was Worlds 2008. 118 people played, which was less than the 128 set quota. That is a tremendous drop from Worlds 2007, which had 188 people and is still the biggest UFS event to date.

Worlds 2009 had whut... 86 people?

The gradually decreasing attendance at major events combined with the dogshit prize support is already enough to change minds.

UFS is next to done.

First off with the low attendance this year, have you ever heard of the economy? Its not doing so well. And it was doing even worse around the time surrounding worlds. No money or job could be some reason why some were unable to make it.

Regarding the low prices on SW/ToS, maybe FFG feels "bad" that at worlds they said "sorry 80% of your cards arent standard legal anymore" and they are trying to help out by selling the oldest sets that are legal at a discounted rate. Last i checked (i could be wrong) tekken and newer (i.e. anything not the first set of standard) sets were not on sale.

The game is a lot of fun right now. The most fun it has ever been in the amount of time i have been playing. Enjoy the game, or don't play it.

I'm new to this game, and I know it's been around before I even sat down and started playing with my friends at the local store.

1). However reason for no State of the Game, it has been discussed they are busy... Oh my gawd just calm down.

2). It's a holiday season why have a slumping economy so what better way then to boost sales then to lower the cost of the items and hopefully be able give a little something back to those fans who have stuck with the game even during it's most recent changes.

3). If you think the game is done for just go ahead and give me you stuff since you won't have a need for it.

Shaneth said:

Just about. But how many people were screwed by the too-soon bans? Because we all know that there would've been just about 344 copies of Olcadan's Mentoring, 344 copies of Chester's Backing, 344 copies of Rejection and slightly less than 344 copies of Bitter Rivals.

The game was boring. Who in their right ******* mind would invest more than half a grand to go to an event to get bored to death?

Oh, wait. You.

guitalex2008 said:

The game was boring. Who in their right ******* mind would invest more than half a grand to go to an event to get bored to death?

Oh, wait. You.

Uh, I did that, and enjoyed every second of it, but there we go.

I think the reason a lot of people are starting to feel this way is because there's nothing really going on on the forums. I've been saying this about the UK UFS forum, which has been bone dry for a while, purely because a lot of people who do play don't like using the forums. I reckon that it's really quite important to revive the community online so that it doesn't feel so doom and gloom all the time. There's loads of things that people can talk about, and we need to get more people on here so that word of mouth can spread properly, bringing the new players back in. I'm hoping that we can grab FFG's attention a little more with this, because I really would be quite upset if the game were to die out. I think there must still be quite a lot we can do to prevent that from happening.

Hey i enjoy the game and dont want it to go anywhere. I just see signs that i cant figure out what they mean.

Micah

The slumping economy is not a reason to screw over hobby stores that buy your product.Cause that is exactly what they are doing. Selling boxes for 25 dollars seems more like dumping product than helping the game.

Shane

One of the reasons for the lower and lower attendance is that you have to qualify. I said it when they announced that that was a horrible idea and the game wasnt big enough to limit any and all players.

Ill repeat once again i do not want the game to die but these signs seem to point to it.

Viewtiful_Joe said:

Uh, I did that, and enjoyed every second of it, but there we go.

I think the reason a lot of people are starting to feel this way is because there's nothing really going on on the forums. I've been saying this about the UK UFS forum, which has been bone dry for a while, purely because a lot of people who do play don't like using the forums. I reckon that it's really quite important to revive the community online so that it doesn't feel so doom and gloom all the time. There's loads of things that people can talk about , and we need to get more people on here so that word of mouth can spread properly, bringing the new players back in. I'm hoping that we can grab FFG's attention a little more with this, because I really would be quite upset if the game were to die out. I think there must still be quite a lot we can do to prevent that from happening.

You do make a good point, I'll tell you that.

As long as people play the game it isn't dead. My playgroup in particular has grown and we have had much more fun of late than I/we did anytime last season. (well barring major events, those are the most fun).

I haven't seen this 'non-involvement' people are citing. In fact I saw James release some well written commentary on the spoiled cards all during last month and some stuff on Kilik and the promos, etc.

(As people have already stated) What you have to realize is that this is the off-season of gaming. No one has time to run/'travel to tournies, this is Christmas for most, family time, and big $$$ time for Companies.

The game is as fun as ever now, instead of griping on the forums about cards that aren't even remotely as broken as the game has seen in the past players should get their act together and share the fun with new players like we do here in Calgary.

Ultimately, if FFG gives up on a game, or when anyone gives up on a CCG, you only need to look to the players to blame - not the publisher. We generate interest in the product, and we are responsible for its sucess much moreso than the designers/publishers/etc.

If you like what you see - go play, if you don't, please refrain from polluting the forum with doomsday theories.

- dut

Shaneth said:

If anyone still doesn't recognize this, believe it. The game is dying.

The first sign was Worlds 2008. 118 people played, which was less than the 128 set quota. That is a tremendous from Worlds 2007, which had 188 people and is still the biggest UFS event to date.

The gradually decreasing attendance at major events combined with the dogshit prize support is already enough to change minds.

UFS is next to done.

truth is truth

1) BS, there was at the very least an October SOTG, they just weren't sticked so August is the last you see: www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp

2) Ok say it with me HO-LI-DAY SALE, I guess that means that EVERYONE is going out of business cause there was some loony sales right after Thanksgiving, my brother got 2 Xbox 360 games for free! Guess Microsoft is going under too, **** shame.

3) Your point? I mean, I guess its better if they just wait and print everything up 36 hours before and ship it out at midnight of prerelease, cause thats a smart idea.

You're all idiots if you think other wise and I'm sick and tired of this bull.

No, they haven't given up.

Steve is hoping to post an ETA for the SotG on the boards later on today.

Steve and James are both well aware of the unrest and concern on the boards. Steve said specifically:

I am aware of the restlessness, James and I are getting flooded with people asking us questions, tracking us down on facebook, x-box live, cell phone, e-mail, etc.

So if everyone can chill out just a little. It's not like we haven't ever received a SotG two or three weeks into a month before.

Halbard100 said:

1) BS, there was at the very least an October SOTG, they just weren't sticked so August is the last you see: www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp

2) Ok say it with me HO-LI-DAY SALE, I guess that means that EVERYONE is going out of business cause there was some loony sales right after Thanksgiving, my brother got 2 Xbox 360 games for free! Guess Microsoft is going under too, **** shame.

3) Your point? I mean, I guess its better if they just wait and print everything up 36 hours before and ship it out at midnight of prerelease, cause thats a smart idea.

You're all idiots if you think other wise and I'm sick and tired of this bull.

The next time we're at the same show, if you desire a big "man hug" just let me know. The October SotG is now stickied. (Thank you for digging it up!)

~~~~

Rulesmonkey - You no longer have to qualify to play in the worlds. That was only for 2008, not for 2009. 2009 they simply didn't post what prizes were.

Shaneth - Once more for posterity - can you please post what exactly the "dogshit" prizes were that you received for making the Cut for World Teams Championships? In detail. I just want to make sure we're all on the same page for what is crap vs. what isn't.

(And before people jump to Shane's defence before he posts - we're not talking about 2008, we all (FFG included) agree that the prizes weren't what anyone expected them to be. I'm exclusively focusing on 2009. The most recent event that they're being held accountable for.)

But it's been like 6 weeks Antigoth. What ever should we do?

Antigoth said:

No, they haven't given up.

Steve is hoping to post an ETA for the SotG on the boards later on today.

Steve and James are both well aware of the unrest and concern on the boards. Steve said specifically:

I am aware of the restlessness, James and I are getting flooded with people asking us questions, tracking us down on facebook, x-box live, cell phone, e-mail, etc.

So if everyone can chill out just a little. It's not like we haven't ever received a SotG two or three weeks into a month before.

Antigoth said:

Rulesmonkey - You no longer have to qualify to play in the worlds. That was only for 2008, not for 2009. 2009 they simply didn't post what prizes were.

even then, in 2008, they canceled that at the beginning of the show IIRC.

you gotta love this forum, we have more people bitching about the game dying/cards needing to be banned/etc. than any other card game in history i think.

and yall wonder why some people on here are overly bitter about it.

the state of the game? awesome.

the state of the forums? total ****.

I hope the game is not dying. But if it does so be it. Will make singles a hell of a lot cheaper so that me and my friends can buy them and continue playing :)

And Tag that would be Yugioh...Just go to **** and read a few threads >.> Naruto is pretty bad about it it too.

Homme Chapeau said:

Antigoth said:

even then, in 2008, they canceled that at the beginning of the show IIRC.

You recall correctly. (Well... Almost) They announced Friday night for Saturday that they were removing the qualifying restriction.

Postman197865;

Apparently panic that the movie theater is on fire.

Honestly, I've spoken to the person handling prize support and they're busy as all hell. We don't even get communication when they're not that busy, imagine at this time.

I suggest we collectively find something better to talk about. Like how in the hell did the Razor's Bite/No Mercy combo not get noticed? It's dumb as hell.

Sol Badguy said:

I hope the game is not dying. But if it does so be it. Will make singles a hell of a lot cheaper so that me and my friends can buy them and continue playing :)

And Tag that would be Yugioh...Just go to **** and read a few threads >.> Naruto is pretty bad about it it too.

I don't count yugioh. That card game is legitimately **** and most of what people say about needing more bans is, quite likely, completely correct.

Homme Chapeau said:

Honestly, I've spoken to the person handling prize support and they're busy as all hell. We don't even get communication when they're not that busy, imagine at this time.

I suggest we collectively find something better to talk about. Like how in the hell did the Razor's Bite/No Mercy combo not get noticed? It's dumb as hell.

It was noticed... Void's not so well known tricks - volume 1.

- dut

Tagrineth said:

you gotta love this forum, we have more people bitching about the game dying/cards needing to be banned/etc. than any other card game in history i think.

Quoted for truth.

The state of these forums are nothing more than diabolical at the moment, and I'll probably be posting the same thing I posted onto the Uk forum earlier on today so that I can try and get my point across. I am by no means saying that people shouldn't be able to voice their opinions on cards or anything like that. But starting well over a year ago, with only specific points in time changing anything (Worlds, Nats etc) everyone's negativity well and truly turn people off the forums, and the game as well. The problem is that there aren't enough people being positive about things often enough. I know I've been called an ass-kisser for being like it, as have other people. Quite frankly I applaud people like Antigoth and Halbard100 who are always positive when they come on here, and I'd like to think people saw me the same way in the positive sense. People bitched about Scubadude and continue to do so about some individuals on the forums even now, but they would be nothing if it weren't for people voicing their opinions as they do. The biggest problem is the lack of balance. It shouldn't be too difficult, however, to change that. Like I said, I've been coming up with ideas to try and revitalise the forums megatime in the UK, so hopefully it'll spread beyond that eventually...

Viewtiful_Joe said:

Tagrineth said:

Quoted for truth.

The state of these forums are nothing more than diabolical at the moment, and I'll probably be posting the same thing I posted onto the Uk forum earlier on today so that I can try and get my point across. I am by no means saying that people shouldn't be able to voice their opinions on cards or anything like that. But starting well over a year ago, with only specific points in time changing anything (Worlds, Nats etc) everyone's negativity well and truly turn people off the forums, and the game as well. The problem is that there aren't enough people being positive about things often enough. I know I've been called an ass-kisser for being like it, as have other people. Quite frankly I applaud people like Antigoth and Halbard100 who are always positive when they come on here, and I'd like to think people saw me the same way in the positive sense. People bitched about Scubadude and continue to do so about some individuals on the forums even now, but they would be nothing if it weren't for people voicing their opinions as they do. The biggest problem is the lack of balance. It shouldn't be too difficult, however, to change that. Like I said, I've been coming up with ideas to try and revitalise the forums megatime in the UK, so hopefully it'll spread beyond that eventually...

How about this write something. Put some freaking articles up. Come on the boards more often and be that force of being postive. Give back. You don't have to be super forum mod but do something.

darklogos said:

Viewtiful_Joe said:

Tagrineth said:

Quoted for truth.

How about this write something. Put some freaking articles up. Come on the boards more often and be that force of being postive. Give back. You don't have to be super forum mod but do something.

Alright then, deal. You can hold me to that, how bout that?