Custom Heralds

By dkw, in Fan Creations

Does anyone know where I can upload my images of custom heralds or custom scenarios? I'm looking for a fast easy-to-use site.

Thanks marcoa.ramirez !

Well, I managed to upload it, but for some reason this site doesn't display it. Anyway, I uploaded my herald so that you can at least click on the link in order to see it. I recommend you save it to your PC in order to be able to read the text on the sheet.

This herald was created by me in order to add an extra challange to the game. If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to comment.

Oh, one last thing, you will also need my custom Guardian in order to be able to play with this herald. I'll play a little with Image Shack to see if I can figure out how to show the image to you guys. It will be uploaded into the Custom Guardians thread very soon.

http://img142.imageshack.us/my.php?image=yunusfrontsideup1.png

Try www.radikal.ru/

While it is in Russian, the Browse button is in English, and to upload you just hit the little blue button below and to the left of Browse. This forum software doesn't seem to know how to navigate redirects like how imageshack works. radikal however doesn't use redirects and will allow your images to show up properly.

Those checks are way too tough and the penalty for failing them (3 Sanity and 3 stamina) is far too severe.

When your thinking through your design, a good rule of thumb is:

2 dice = 1/2 success

3 dice = 1 success.

(Maths note: There's a big difference between requiring at least one success and several successes. If one success is required, then the probability of getting it on 2 dice is 5/9, if we counting the *number* of successes, then it's expected value is (4/9 *1) + (1/9 * 2) = 6/9 = 2/3. I tend to round 2 dice this down to 1/2 success for approximations)

If a check is going to come up a lot in a game, the players should fall about 1/2 success short - this means that players are going to get lucky sometimes and pass, and other times, there going to be pretty close and make up the shortfall with clues. On those occasions when they blow it bad, they save their clues and try again next turn / suck up the damage. A Lore(-2) [3] check would require 3 successes, so we want to ensure the players are aiming at 2.5 successes. Two and a half successes = approx 8 dice, but with the -2 modifer, that's ten dice. Given that even the best Investigator starts with Lore 6, that's not really a viable option.

The Fight (-3) [2] check is a little easier. 2-0.5 = 1.5 successes = 5 dice. The -3 penalty bumps this up to 8 dice! again the best investigators only get Fight 6 out of the gate, so this isn't much of an option either.

Personally I'd drop your checks them to a plain Lore(-1) or Fight(-1) check and drop the peanlty to move to the church or lose one Sanity or Stamina. an investigator at 3 on one of these stats should have about a ahlf chnace of passing.

Jake yet again : I know this Herald seems way too tough, but the reason he is like this is because IF you manage to help him regain his memories, then he joins you. But as I sayid you need the GUARDIAN version in order to use this one. The fact is that I tested this Herald and even tho we were really really low on stamina, sanity and even items, we still managed to win a 4 player game against Cthulhu by defeating him in the final battle. It was difficult but not impossible. I'll think about lowering his scores, but currently I'm busy testing out some stuff that I designed for the game (a sort of unofficial expansion set) with a new ancient one, herald, allies, investigators, spells and unique items, and i'm currently having some balance issues. After I finish with the set I'll get to modifing this herald, but you should just ingnore the (-3) and use it as a (-1) as you said if you think he is too tough.

dkw said:

Sorry for the long absence. Here is the final, symantic corrected (should be by now), version.

Nyarlathotep-Front-Side-2.png

High Quality Version for Printing if desired.

i12.photobucket.com/albums/a247/kyle_bloodheart/Nyarlathotep-Front-Side-3.png

Places to post creations for upload, Photobucket.com is what I use.

Hee hee hee... Long time. "and Ambushed by" you need to add are.

Also, the mask monster limit is still somewhat ambiguous. Reading it right now I would think that a mask monster can be placed even if their placement is over the monster limit, but I would think that they would still be counted when considering whether to put other non-mask monsters onto the board. Also, will they still ignore the monster limit during monster surges (if the ancient one happens to be Nyarlathotep)? That'd actually be kindof cool ;'D Although it would make playing Nyarlathotep a real nightmare if he is the AO as well as the herald.

Glad to see you again :') I've been looking forward to an update of this herald.

Nyarlathotep-Front-Side-4.jpg

High Quality

i12.photobucket.com/albums/a247/kyle_bloodheart/Nyarlathotep-Front-Side-5.png

That would be odd, having Nyarlathotep as the Ancient One stiring in his slumber, and at the same time, awake and active in paving the way for his own awakening.

One thing I have learned from Arkham Horror, as well as the various rule questions, is that you have to take everything Literally and Verbatum. Never assume that it could mean something else, but resolve it as written.

You would be correct in your thinking that the Masks are still placed AND count towards the Monster Limit. Maybe this word change will clear that up a bit.

You are welcome. Although there is little left in regards to an update.

Wrong low quality update. The high quality one is correct.

Nyarlathotep-Front-Side-6.jpg

dkw said:

Wrong low quality update. The high quality one is correct.

Nyarlathotep-Front-Side-6.jpg

Heh heh heh... I'm saving this one :')

dkw said:

That would be odd, having Nyarlathotep as the Ancient One stiring in his slumber, and at the same time, awake and active in paving the way for his own awakening.

One thing I have learned from Arkham Horror, as well as the various rule questions, is that you have to take everything Literally and Verbatum. Never assume that it could mean something else, but resolve it as written.

You would be correct in your thinking that the Masks are still placed AND count towards the Monster Limit. Maybe this word change will clear that up a bit.

You are welcome. Although there is little left in regards to an update.

Nyarlathotep can do many curious things. Why can't he also make a mask of himself? :'D Well... I'm excited.

Thanks for the help with the wording.

Now, anyone can use Nyarlathotep and Mask Monsters without having to face him as the Ancient One. Even when he helps you deal with the monsters, you are still playing his game the way he wants it played.

Here's one I just finished tonight.

groskelliathfrontsidefa3.th.jpg

Based off of one of my short stories. It'll be in an expansion I'm currently working on, but is independent enough to post alone.

In case you can't read it (Or don't want to follow the link), here's the rule text:

The Sky Tore Open
Ignore the usual effects of the Terror Track. Instead, use the following effects for each level.

1-Maniacs treat the Terror Level as 6, Discard an Ally from the deck.
2-Close the General Store, Discard an Ally from the deck.
3-Close the Curiousity Shop, Discard an Ally from the deck.
4-Close the ye Olde Magic Shoppe, Discard an Ally from the deck.
5-There is no more Monster Limit, Discard an Ally from the deck.

The Terror Track can never exceed 5. If it would increase beyond that point, add a Doom Token to the Doom Track instead.

Black Tendrils of Obsolescence
When Y'Golonac is the Ancient One, increase the Terror level by 1 each Upkeep

Basically a Terror fiend, making it roughly twice as deadly (Actually, probably moreso, since the closing all become exponentially earlier as you go along...).

I'd double the loss of allies, but besides that nice idea.

That's a good idea, I think I'll go do just that.

Black Tendrils sounds a little too powerful. It would shorten the game to a number of turns equal to the doom track, more often then not. Maybe weaken it to when a Gate Opens, add 1 to the Terror Track?

dkw said:

Black Tendrils sounds a little too powerful. It would shorten the game to a number of turns equal to the doom track, more often then not. Maybe weaken it to when a Gate Opens, add 1 to the Terror Track?

It's supposed to be a bit much, mostly since it's only of use when Y'Golonac himself is around. In any case, the extra doom tokens wouldn't hit until turn 6, though I agree it definantly makes time seem absent. I should also note here that the expansion this is to be part of has several alternate routes to victory, and actual discourages seal wins, so this also helps maintain the tension there. Taken alone though, this basically amounts to a 'stupid hard mode', at least with one GOO.

My thought is, if you reduce it to only when a gate opens, then you would add 1 Terror everytime a Mythos Gate opens, as well as all those encounter cards that say "A Gate Appears." You could easily have a turn with 5 Gates Opening (+5 Terror), or go a few turns with no Gates.

Just my thought anyways.

dkw said:

My thought is, if you reduce it to only when a gate opens, then you would add 1 Terror everytime a Mythos Gate opens, as well as all those encounter cards that say "A Gate Appears." You could easily have a turn with 5 Gates Opening (+5 Terror), or go a few turns with no Gates.

Just my thought anyways.

Possibly... for now I'm going to leave it until I can playtest this in its main environment, but feel free to rule it however you wish. It is custom content, afterall.

DKW, if you're here, read this post.

I tried the Nyarlathotep herald (finally) and had a very strong win (however, I think some of that was luck) I randomly drew, Kate, Darrell, and Marie. Darrell was useful the entire game, as he always is. The ancient one was Ithaqua who is much easier than I remembered (I haven't played him for such a long time, for some reason I thought he subtracted a movement from all the players). I did the random fight on the first turn and fought the Skinless One, the Bloated Woman, and the Black Man (Yeah, I got lucky). All of the fights turned out to be profitable if only by a clue token with one, one or two with another, and three with Marie (I got kindof lucky with my rolls). I was lucky not to draw the Beast or the God (although I actually did draw his card in another world randomly— he knocked out marie, gave her Memory Loss). ::Shrug:: in addition to that luck, I drew a visions card with Darrell (very helpful, I got eight clues from just three spells with that). And the luckiest part, I think, was blocking three gate openings with Kate that game, One at the graveyard (which would have actually been a gate burst), one at the unvisited island, and one at the witch house. Later In the game I drew an arcane insight, but by that time it was already basically over. I also drew a find gate with my starting equipment (which was well balanced) and was able to get Professor Rice that game. I also got lucky with rift cards and all the rifts were opening in the same two slots (with one exception— but I closed it). I beat Ithaqua with his doom track at six and the terror level at two (only because cards were drawn that raised the terror level). Still, this isn't nearly as skillful as it sounds, because after all, there should've been a minimum of two more doom tokens (had I not been lucky with Kate). Oh, I also drew the General Store encounter that lets you search the deck for items by name for other players if they pay you. I bought Kate and Marie Motorcycles, Kate also got a Zoog, and Marie Speed. So, they were both moving at seven as opposed to Darrell's five ;') how ironic. Anyways, it was pretty easy, although it was a little tense at times (until I drew the Arcane Insight) —I was worried that terror would hit three and wipe out my characters. It was easy, but I was very lucky in multiple ways. ::Shrug:: that was actually one of my fastest wins... I think I'm on a ruthless streak from the last league game (killing Azathoth with three tiny little characters, heh, I've already forgotten who my team was).

Question: does the fighting take place during the first full turn on the game (during your movement phase?) or is it in the early pre-game mythos phase (allowing you to move on your first turn).

Investigators can't trade items before they even get a chance to move can they?

My Name? is supposed to be at the end of the first turn of the game, after the Investigators have had a chance to move about the board, but didn't meet up with other Investigators to share toys. But, it is resolved during that Mythos Phase, so any Exhausted Items are still Exhausted and any penalties that crop up because of the Mythos Card are already in effect.
In Short, the fight for clues happens during the first Mythos Phase at the end of the first turn. Also, when the Terror Track reaches 3/6/9, you fight the Masks in the Phase you are currently in. If that means fighting the Masks in the Mythos/Other World Encounters/or whatever, then that is when you fight them as if it was a normal Combat, Ambushed of course. You don't wait for the Movement Phase to come around again.

Try a few more games and see if your luck holds. Try using I Will Help You Just This Once this time, as it sounds like you didn't use it, or even need to use it.
But, as I said before, there is a good chance that most of the abilities on the Herald won't get used often. Players don't have to fight a Mask for Clues, spend Trophies to remove Monsters, may never fight against an Ancient One, and as your game showed, never reach a Terror of 3 or more.

What I tried to make this Herald do is allow people to use Masks with any Ancient One (a major complaint on the old boards), and make the Terror Track a little more dangerous.

And, for anyone that cares, I did some work on Master Therion.

Master-Therion-Front-Side-1.jpg

dkw said:

Investigators can't trade items before they even get a chance to move can they?

My Name? is supposed to be at the end of the first turn of the game, after the Investigators have had a chance to move about the board, but didn't meet up with other Investigators to share toys. But, it is resolved during that Mythos Phase, so any Exhausted Items are still Exhausted and any penalties that crop up because of the Mythos Card are already in effect.
In Short, the fight for clues happens during the first Mythos Phase at the end of the first turn. Also, when the Terror Track reaches 3/6/9, you fight the Masks in the Phase you are currently in. If that means fighting the Masks in the Mythos/Other World Encounters/or whatever, then that is when you fight them as if it was a normal Combat, Ambushed of course. You don't wait for the Movement Phase to come around again.

Try a few more games and see if your luck holds. Try using I Will Help You Just This Once this time, as it sounds like you didn't use it, or even need to use it.
But, as I said before, there is a good chance that most of the abilities on the Herald won't get used often. Players don't have to fight a Mask for Clues, spend Trophies to remove Monsters, may never fight against an Ancient One, and as your game showed, never reach a Terror of 3 or more.

What I tried to make this Herald do is allow people to use Masks with any Ancient One (a major complaint on the old boards), and make the Terror Track a little more dangerous.

And, for anyone that cares, I did some work on Master Therion.

Master-Therion-Front-Side-1.jpg

Hmmm, so players could shop before using the ability I didn't realize that. Alright. When I draw the random masks, I feel like I'm making my investigators play Russian roulette ;') but if they win that first gamble, the game seems to get considerably easier afterwards.

That is the point. You take a gamble for gaining an advantage. If you win, you gain Clues. If you lose, well you are down and out, plus there is a Mask running around town now.
That ability only slows down the players for a turn. Normally, everyone gathers up on some street and trades starting equipment on turn 1. This way, you have to make due with what you have for a little longer, and risk your health, sanity, and starting equipment for a few extra Clues.
Just remember that any Investigator that Trades anything can not fight for Clues.

Think of it like this: Whatever actions you take during your turn (for anyone going for the Clues), you were subtly directed towards a wealth of information about what is happening, but you were being stalked the whole way by a monster sent specificly to force you to pay the price for the knowledge (i.e. the fight that could have you in the Hospital or Asylum). If you lose, the monster continues to hunt for you, as well as your compatriots.

Keep this in mind. If you actually get to Terror 9 (unlikely) and you don't have enough Masks to draw, the Ancient One will awaken because of the "you don't have enough monsters" Rule.

Are you keeping the Library Closed as stated under the Flavor text?

Here is a Herald that will turn everything on its head, but may not be all that dangerous.

Looking-Glass-Front-Side.jpg

Clarification Where Are We? : Above and Below only means how the Other Worlds are lined up along the edge of the board, and is not affected by other gates on the board.