SoulCal Spoils - Taki and Yoshimitsu

By MarcoPulleaux, in UFS General Discussion

http://fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=941

Taki - Honestly, I could care less. The F would be better if it was like Cervantes, but unfortunately the new game's balance keeps it from being so. While it's nice to turn opponent's Stand Off and Torn Heros upside down, they'll easily return the favor on whatever your most useful foundation is. The E is nifty in that Taki definitely generates a LOT of advantage. However, it's all blank advantage, and while that makes her the best candidate to run cards like Shattered Persona and Regretful Existence, the usefulness (at least, from what all we've seen) pretty much ends there.

Yoshimitsu - Broken. Seriously...seriously un-fun. But, hey, at least my theory about anti-discard becoming a necessity in the next set was proven true. The R Commit I could truly care less about; a very "cherry on top of the sundae" kind of deal. The E is where this game enters a turning point.

Crushing Embrace = instant 3 cards discarded

Let's also keep in mind he can run Flooded-Nile, Sandstorm Throw, Croc Grasp, Dark Bite, Double Face Kick, and Body Slam. The fact that one E can otherwise dump an opponent's entire hand is stupid, as, let's not forget ladies and gentlemen:

HE CAN ALSO RUN MIDNIGHT LAUNCHER AND KNIGHT BREAKER!

So, in short, Yoshimitsu is going to see mad play, and it's up to us proud Soul Wave* abusers to stop him.

hmmm, wow.

I think both are very viable, Yoshi perhaps a bit better than Taki, but that all depends...

Good analysis though MP, I liked it at least ^^

- dut

You mean to say:

Crushing Embrace = 1 card discard guaranteed.

Note that the person discards half the damage dealt, but Crushing Embrace can be blocked.

Also... Taki just became the spam queen. She's the only one that can and will run junk foundations she can spam and will run the same. Notice that not everyone is capable of running their decks without their foundation abilities.

Plus she can run a wide range of assets like Drossel and others since her attacks will become resources. She's sort of beefy!

Wow, i'm really disapointed with Taki. Based on her support spoiled thus far, I was looking foward to playing her. But with that first F, forget about it now. Won't your opponent just blank your foundations that give you benefits for having blank foundations in your stagin area? Why in the name of ZEUS' BUTTHOLE, would I want to give my opponent that type of power?

Weak...

chinese boxer said:

Wow, i'm really disapointed with Taki. Based on her support spoiled thus far, I was looking foward to playing her. But with that first F, forget about it now. Won't your opponent just blank your foundations that give you benefits for having blank foundations in your stagin area? Why in the name of ZEUS' BUTTHOLE, would I want to give my opponent that type of power?

Weak...

Who said anything about foundations giving her a benefit for having blank foundations? Assets, actions, attacks... she can spam anything she wants because she knows she won't need it. That's how I see it, but I'll have to wait until this weekend.

OMG she will love Carefree because well... it's already sort of blank so she can spam it or block with it lol

Don't you see? You don't need Stand Off in her. You don't need Flexible Body in her. You don't need to pack only the best foundations.

You need to pack the absolute shittiest spam foundations you can. Her form then becomes VERY one-sided! Come on, you can't believe that turning a Stand Off face down in exchange for your Carefree isn't just absolutely sexy, or reminiscent of the power of Impetuous even.

it also says half the damage(rounded DOWN) so those 5 damage throws will make them either discard 2 or 5(sans damage pumps or redux). Yes as Shinji pointed out Anti Discard will see play again if there is a Yoshi in someone's meta, i personally will be running Warriors Path in my decks just for fun anyway and will laugh when someone makes me discard cards, k i'll net 3 on the deal, anything else???

Taki also makes use of the "Useless" attacks with no text anyway, also makes Throws into foundations at the end of her turn, i'd rather have Foundations than momentum anyday, because unless you are Yun Sueng, you can't block by commiting momentum...

N.J.

NJBrock22 said:

it also says half the damage(rounded DOWN) so those 5 damage throws will make them either discard 2 or 5

They'll discard 2 or 1. It says they discard half the damage dealt rounded down. Half of 5 is 2.5, rounded down is 2. If half-blocked, half of 3 is 1.5, rounded down is 1.

Still pretty powerful.

crap you're right, overlooked the HALF on my part, yeah 2 or 1 but as you said VERY powerful.

N.J.

also off chaos you have a way to retrieve those foundations you turned face down thanks to your opponent and just play them again later if you REALLY want to, but it's not really necessary, i'd gladly give up one of my foundations to slow my opponent's game plan down.

N.J.

Taki's going to be FUN

Tagrineth said:

Taki's going to be FUN

go second

First F: blank something you put out, i dont have anything. proceed to play some low diff attacks and foundations and ship down whatever attacks dealt damage with the E.

hope you dont get turn 2d. especially since you blanked out their 4the$(or other broken paul foundations).

have most of your starting hand probably in your staging area and proceed to do it again.

shes gonna be a fast builder and good on defense against decks that rely on their support rather than character.

theres no reason to stock your deck full of useless cards, your opponent gets to blank 1 a turn if you use the F. just dont expect to play any techy combos involving foundations. id rather play 3 good cards and have 1 of them blanked next turn than play 3 useless cards that are already pretty blank.

Ziephnir said:

Tagrineth said:

Taki's going to be FUN

go second

First F: blank something you put out, i dont have anything. proceed to play some low diff attacks and foundations and ship down whatever attacks dealt damage with the E.

hope you dont get turn 2d. especially since you blanked out their 4the$(or other broken paul foundations).

have most of your starting hand probably in your staging area and proceed to do it again.

shes gonna be a fast builder and good on defense against decks that rely on their support rather than character.

theres no reason to stock your deck full of useless cards, your opponent gets to blank 1 a turn if you use the F. just dont expect to play any techy combos involving foundations. id rather play 3 good cards and have 1 of them blanked next turn than play 3 useless cards that are already pretty blank.

Someone's certainly using his head :)

Hell, you can even still run Stand Off just so they'll basically have to blank it. You simply CAN'T let that woman have a Stand Off lol

Can you imagine having to choose whether to blank Stand Off, Just Kidding or Keeper of the Watchers? They will most likely choose Stand Off, leaving your speed pumps open.

I've also confirmed that you CAN use her First F going second. Sexy indeed.

Who's going to even put foundations in their Taki deck? :)

lol... I'll try to be foundation less. Lets see how that goes (horribly fo sho).

vermillian said:

Who's going to even put foundations in their Taki deck? :)

lol... I'll try to be foundation less. Lets see how that goes (horribly fo sho).

Hmm...

Zi Mei's Wheel Kick and Swing Kick would suit your deck nicely off of Air/Chaos and Air/Life... so would Yi Shan's Dragon Tail Leg Sweep, Leaping Snap Kick and Evil Sparrow off of Life...

But perhaps instead of going foundationless you just run some to spam turn 1 before spamming the pokes. That way you're not limited to 3 or less difficulty attacks in order to make the checks and keep Taki ready.

Yoshi + Nina support = GG, way to bring back block 3 void. I kinda like it, since I'm currently playing a hand removal deck in WoW right now, I'll be comfortable with this deck design.

Taki + Rashotep = interesting gameplay. I'm gonna look forward to this deck. you can go either way with it, low foundations and spam low diff attacks, or heavy foundation and wall up with a blank board. Either way, it'll be fun to try. This will definatly shut down a lot of decks. the only drawback is that you can't blank assets, which means PoTM is still a force to be dealt with.

The only thing I'm really hoping for in this set and the next is some sort of negation. I could see negation being more action card based instead of founation and asset like in previous blocks, it seems more viable and less annoying that way. Making you really think about what is more inportant, that +1 diff in the card pool or stopping your opponent's enhance, form, etc. Also, with negation being action card based, you're not sitting behind a "WALL OF NO". If this at all gives anyone something to think about at FFG, please just remember to give the negation to the right symbols, or at least least every symbol some to use from it, for example, don't give fire all the negation and leave nothing for life or all. In fact, don't give fire anything, it has the biggest and best card base in the game right now, the only thing I think comes close is death.

NoobFighterFTW said:

Yoshi + Nina support = GG, way to bring back block 3 void. I kinda like it, since I'm currently playing a hand removal deck in WoW right now, I'll be comfortable with this deck design.

wat?

I'd like to know one thing though : Yoshi's R counts number of cards discarded or number of cards that WOULD be discarded?

I will have to say that Taki is going to be very dangerous. The main reason is that a lot of decks work off a group of foundations. If they have no way to blow up stuff in their staging area then there is no way for them to get that x foundation in play. So yes Taki is very strong. Next she gets built in master of magic for free. Foundationless Taki could work but I see spaming attacks like Ivy being more effective. The next thing to note with Taki's F is that its one card per turn. You will still have other foundations to play off of. There is this notion that you are going to loose everything. That's not true. You will have a lot of blank foundations in your cardpool. But if her attacks give bonuses to blank foundations then you will be happy to have the ability. I see Taki spaming attacks to get a good finisher off to end the game. Taki wants to play assets since her ability isn't effected by that. So she can speed pump with robes no problem. I think she will be a deck that has more assets and action cards in her deck then foundations due to her abilities on her card.

Yoshi is interesting. The main reason I say that is that it is easy to see his control ability. Keep them down with any death throw could clean out a hand. If that doesn't work a war between sisters or 2 should finish the job. Thing is that there are damage pumps that are accessible to make Yoshi force heavy discards. When you factor in the damage pumps he becomes very scary. One throw could strip the rest of your cards from your hand leaving you open to anything he wants to do. The best build with him would be a death build right now with a few order elements just in case you want some damage pumping. Ultimate team and Ready for battle comes to mind. With the throws dual weilding can add on some nice order damage pumps. As I think about it a bit void offers some good stuff so it is up in the air. Maybe void would be better because it offers draw and some added tricks. The man behind the mask is what has come to mind.

I hope that neither character gets out of hand. I can see both being very strong and Yoshi being very abusable. With the right rares he can create NPE fast. Even rounded down and blocked a pumped throw can strip a person of their remanding hand assuming they are playing a six hand sizer and they played 3 cards on their turn. Yoshi will make discard backlash, antidiscard, and E based draw more important for the meta. This also means that agro decks will have to slide into tech more then they have before. At the counter end you have Taki who makes all tech null and void from her F because of her blanking ability. I wouldn't be surprised as the sets fill out she becomes stronger in that fashion. She is agro in the since that she plays best off her attacks doing effects then her foundation base. I think that if she runs off of nothing above a 2 check foundation she is fine. I also think that if she puts in some draw cards they will help her on her kill turn. All her gimicks and tricks will come from her asset pool and that should be what everyone tries to blow up of hers. Other then that I think peoples desire for something other then pure aggro is being answered. Sadly NPE is highly possible.

Homme Chapeau said:

I'd like to know one thing though : Yoshi's R counts number of cards discarded or number of cards that WOULD be discarded?

Reading is Fun damental...

"After your opponent discards any number of cards due to a card effect, they lose x vitality. X is the number of cards discarded."

So after the cards are discarded.

Oh... and Order Mill just got really violent in Legacy. :) :) :)

Question is do we want hand mill in NewFS. I am up in the air on this because I see it comming down the pipe.

Will everyone chillax? Yes, he discards. But I do believe I remember the complaints about all the anti-discard and no discard to use it on.

There. You can use the Warrior's Paths, Gut Drills, Tie Lei Iron Thunders, Unstoppable Convictions, Recons and Soul Waves that have been sitting gathering dust in your card storage place of preference.

Antigoth said:

Homme Chapeau said:

"After your opponent discards any number of cards due to a card effect, they lose x vitality. X is the number of cards discarded."

Yoshimitsu doesn't work off Mill.

Tagrineth said:

Antigoth said:

Homme Chapeau said:

Yoshimitsu doesn't work off Mill.

I'm pretty sure AG was talking about Order and Law.....or any other enablers which cause your opponant to scoop up cards and immediately ditch them.
Yoshimitsu R commit take 6-7, yes plz. Leaping Commando Kick would also be interesting.

Yoshi would probably have to one shot his opponent to win with his burn effect though, and if you're making your opponent chuck 20 cards you've probably just won anyway (or close to it).

I could see some crazy setup like make your opponent draw a ton off Vast Resources on your turn, and off their first card you O&L and hopefully their hand will be full enough that they'll have to chuck 10+ cards at once...

Taki - seems like she'll be quick, could be fun. I think we'll see most Taki decks consist of tons of cheap attacks and spamable foundations.

Yoshi - another reason to run reduction and anti-discard. Throws are not always guaranteed damage and making your opponent discard is not always a good thing for you.

Yoshi is not even that great...I will wait till we see his support but I would much rather run Kisheri if I wanted a discard character...I mean yeah he can force blocks and stuff but I just don't see him doing too much...

Taki on the other hand I find very awesome. Attacks become foundations and you can blank stand offs every turn? hell yeah!

Hope a certain "cool" site has the whole set up tommorow :)