Missing a Turn and Something Happening at the Start of Your Next Turn

By Osbo25, in Talisman Rules Questions

This is probably along the same lines of the perpetual question about how long you remain a Toad if you miss a turn during your time as a Toad. But I'm going to ask my question nonetheless.

Character 1 casts Destroy Magic at the end of his turn. The spell remains in effect until the start of his next turn.

Character 2 rolls a 1 for his movement and subsequently moves the Reaper onto Character 1's space. Character 1 rolls a 4 with the Reaper, meaning that he misses his next turn.

Does Destroy Magic remain in effect until Character 1 actually takes a turn, even if it ultimately means that the spell is in effect for two rounds?

No, it would end at the beginning of the missed turn, as even thought the turn is missed it still technically occurred.

Yes. Since character 1 skips his start of turn for one turn, Destory Magic lasts a bit longer.

Edited by Bludgeon

Couldn't dusagree more, By that logic missed toad turns wouldn't count towards your three turns as a toad, since they are technically missed, but we all know this to be incorrect.

Destroy Magic remains in effect until Character 1 actually takes a turn.

Couldn't dusagree more, By that logic missed toad turns wouldn't count towards your three turns as a toad, since they are technically missed, but we all know this to be incorrect.

That's why I mentioned the debate about toads in my original post. No, we don't "all know this to be incorrect." If a turn is missed then the turn never happens. If the turn never happens, it cannot count toward the total time as a toad.

The same concept, I believe, applies here. If the turn is missed then the turn never happened. If the turn never happened then Destroy Magic remains in effect.

There is a difference between rounds and turns. A round is the consecutive play from the first player to the last player. The rounds continue uninterrupted. However, not every player gets a turn in a single round.

As such, a player could remain a toad for more than three rounds, and Destroy Magic could be in effect for more than one round.

Quote a rule or FAQ for this and maybe I'll listen. although DE is not a 100% argument solver, in DE when you are toaded and miss a turn, it counts for one of your three toaded turns as it should.

This was discussed here:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/182739-toad-misses-turns/

Community conensus seems to be missed turns are still turns. To suggest a toad that is lost for a turn in a crypt or canyon or what the hell ever and thus has no effect on the current race to the crown of command has been removed from.space and time is nonsense. Exact same would apply to destroy magic. A missed turn is a turn.

Quote a rule or FAQ for this and maybe I'll listen. although DE is not a 100% argument solver, in DE when you are toaded and miss a turn, it counts for one of your three toaded turns as it should.

Read the wording of the cards.

Destroy Magic remains in effect until the beginning of your next turn.

When you miss a turn your turn has no beginning. It simply doesn't happen. Allow me to illustrate using a four-person game.

ROUND 1

Player 1 casts Destroy Magic at the end of his turn.

Player 2 rolls a 1 for his movement. He subsequently moves the Reaper to Player 1. Player 1 rolls a 4 and must miss his next turn.

Player 3 does something inconsequential.

Player 4 does something inconsequential.

ROUND 2

Player 1 has no turn.

So the turns per round look like this:

ROUND 1

Player 1

Player 2

Player 3

Player 4

ROUND 2

Player 2

Player 3

Player 4

ROUND 3

Player 1

Player 2

Player 3

Player 4

Using this illustration, would you please indicate the Player 1's next turn after he cast Destroy Magic? It's in ROUND 3, not Round 2.

This was discussed here:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/182739-toad-misses-turns/

Community conensus seems to be missed turns are still turns. To suggest a toad that is lost for a turn in a crypt or canyon or what the hell ever and thus has no effect on the current race to the crown of command has been removed from.space and time is nonsense. Exact same would apply to destroy magic. A missed turn is a turn.

A missed turn is not a turn. A missed turn is not, "You may do nothing for this turn." A missed turn is, "You don't get a turn."

But, hey, if you can show me where it says that a missed turn is a turn in the rule book, I'll gladly listen.

And please show me where losing a turn in a swamp or getting lost in a maze, crypt, crags, or forest is equated with entering the twilight zone and magically causing time to not pass for a character that has missed a turn. And then take it up with Nomad Games while you're at it.

It's a ridiculous point to try and make. Clearly it's meant to be in play for a certain amount of time, and since talisman has no clock, turns and rounds are an adequate substitute. In DE when you miss a turn, it goes to your character, says xyz misses a turn, and moves on. It doesn't pretend you don't exist or have been magically wiped from existence for a moment. It's a span of time that you cannot do anything for.

If you miss a turn the turn does not happen you do not have a start of turn or a end of turn.. You miss your turn. So effects that say "on your next turn" have to wait until "your next turn" Otherwise it would of read round instead of turn.

Now there is not a "black and white" rule anywhere but if we do not go down this road we are going to end up with even more rule issues. Plus your not going to get everything written in the rules.

The DE has heaps of rule prob's and timing issues by no means should the DE be used to question a rule issue. note too on Destroy Magic it say the "start of your next turn" so how do you have a start when you don't have a turn? Its pretty much implied in the current rules and game play.

Please stop asking each other for rules when we all know there is none. That's just silly. This discussion is quite pointless since it's clear some people has made up their minds either way, which for me is fine. As long as you're in agreement with the people you play with and consistent with that it should be okay either way.

In my group we play as though miss 1 turn = preoccupied for 1 turn. Hence the turn counts but your unable to do anything with it but that's just our interpretation. The use of rounds just signifies that all characters are effected (ie. Destroy magic vs toad)

If you miss a turn the turn does not happen you do not have a start of turn or a end of turn.. You miss your turn. So effects that say "on your next turn" have to wait until "your next turn" Otherwise it would of read round instead of turn.

Now there is not a "black and white" rule anywhere but if we do not go down this road we are going to end up with even more rule issues. Plus your not going to get everything written in the rules.

The DE has heaps of rule prob's and timing issues by no means should the DE be used to question a rule issue. note too on Destroy Magic it say the "start of your next turn" so how do you have a start when you don't have a turn? Its pretty much implied in the current rules and game play.

Digital Edition is the second best thing to the rulebook and FAQ when talking about issues such as this. Nomad Games must have had some sort of access to the people at FFG when creating DE, far more than you or I. To what heaps of rule problems and timing issues do you refer?

Couldn't dusagree more, By that logic missed toad turns wouldn't count towards your three turns as a toad

They dont't.

but we all know this to be incorrect.

We do?

If the turn is missed then the turn never happened. If the turn never happened then Destroy Magic remains in effect.

I just had this thought:

What if character casts destroy magic that lasts until his next turn, but before that happens he is killed. Does destroy magic remain in play for the rest of the game? Mind blown!

According to your guys' assinine opinion, yes.

If the word round was used as someone suggested should be the case, you would have the problem of debating when the effect stops. If it's one round does it cease it's effect at the beginning of your next turn? the end of your next turn? or halfway through your next turn at the exact point at which the spell was played or the card encountered? And then you would have this same stupid argument, it's not a round for that character if that character doesn't "get" a turn right? So it would stay in effect another unt that character participated in a "round". It's nonsense. Time is time and a missed turn is still a turn. If a MISSED turned was a void in time, they would call it a void in time. The adjective MISSED precedes the noun TURN. hence it is a TURN that has been modified to be MISSED. Give me a break.

Edited by Joker2016

If the turn is missed then the turn never happened. If the turn never happened then Destroy Magic remains in effect.

I just had this thought:

What if character casts destroy magic that lasts until his next turn, but before that happens he is killed. Does destroy magic remain in play for the rest of the game? Mind blown!

I didn't say what you quoted me as saying here, fyi.

The adjective MISSED precedes the noun TURN. hence it is a TURN that has been modified to be MISSED. Give me a break.

Lol, just lol :D

It's like saying that no apples is a kind of apples.

No you're basically saying that an apple that fell off the tree and rotted before someone could eat it was never an apple at all.

And then the Apple got teleported into limbo

What about the fact that while a toad you can be attacked by other characters whether you missed your turn or not. Say you missed two turns and spent five turns as a sitting duck to be slaughtered because it's not a time limit on being a toad, it's how many hops a toad takes before it changes back. Ridiculous.

It helps to remember that rule and wording ambiguities or contradictions are sometimes due to the cost and difficulty of rewriting and reprinting cards, boards, rule books, etc.

And writing faq pages is much like trying to manage a games forum. It takes a good deal of time and effort just to update, let alone hash out answers with other experienced players. (Case in point?!)

That said, common sense is generally the best approach to dispute resolution. A turn is passage of time, whether you get to "do" anything with it or not. A missed turn does not mean time passed you by, only that your chance to do anything is nullified. Unless you're turned into a toad again, three times in a row you would be interacting with the game, you will be a toad.

Destroy magic ends at the start of your next turn. If you die, it ends when it would have been the start of your next turn.

Again, common sense

Edited by gatorcoffee

Digital Edition is the second best thing to the rulebook and FAQ when talking about issues such as this. Nomad Games must have had some sort of access to the people at FFG when creating DE, far more than you or I. To what heaps of rule problems and timing issues do you refer?

The DE is the Only thing when talking about rulebook and FAQ other than players who have been playing longer then the DE has been out. As for the rule problems head over to steams forum and take a looky.. If I start listing them here I will waste half my day :) . Only joking but there are a heap.

I think the best way forward here is just to make a simple House Rule and put your X near the "it counts as a turn" camp or the "It does not" camp. Otherwise the debate will just go on and on.