PbP Attempt

By GauntZero, in Dark Heresy Play By Mail/Email

Hy there,

If I find enough players that are interested, I would love to give a PbP another try.

It should be based on DH2 (including Core rulebook, Enemies within, without & beyond) and in the askellon sector, with a small selection of houserules inlcuded (max. 10).

The style I would like to achive would be a fair mix between Investigation, combat and social interaction, so a balanced Group would be suited best.

As I am no native English Speaker, possible Players would need to life with that too ;)

The Group should have 1GM and 4 Players, who are ok with posting REGULARLY.

So, if you have interest, post here with Information of your time Zone (continent is enough I think) and the Kind of character you'd like to play.

For fun, what's your first language?

Zulu ;)

I'd be interested, assuming your ok with a complete novice. I'm EU based and character wise at the moment I'm thinking a Frontier/Arbite/Seeker, imagine a wild west lawman and detective turned bounty hunter and you would'nt be far wrong. However I could be persuaded to create a more radical or puritanical character to fit the right group.

Hope to see this work out (I don't own Enemies Beyond just yet, but its in the post)

I've been pondering this one, and figure I'll throw my lot in with you again Gaunt :)

At least if you're okay with the fact that, as a result of my job, I will not likely be here on Monday and Tuesday of each week at all, and probably not on until Wednesday evenings (I run 12 hour graveyard shifts, 3 days a week).

If you're cool with that, then I'm Pacific Standard timezone.

As far as characters go, I was hoping to try out one I've had in mind for awhile. Essentially the femme fatale archetype (thinking Hive World/Outcast/Desperado or Assassin). Specializing in social situations, charming her way into the good graces of our investigative targets, and combat situations in which she'd primarily employ firearms. Think Ada Wong from the Resident Evil franchise and you're not far off my basic idea for her.

If you'd rather swap me out for someone that can actually be around 7 days a week, though, I'd understand.

Edited by ColArana

What kind of scenario will this be?

I can guarantee you 3-4 answers a week (if I'm invested in 3-4 topics, I can answer 3-4 times each, for example).

3 of 4 already there - thats quick ;)

I'd say we start soon, as our motivation is still high :)

The scenario will be "standard", and the group should be balanced out well. Your Inquisitor will be of an unknown Ordo at the beginning.

In General, I prefer a grity style, thats rather realistic oriented (means: deadly)

For character creation, the standard point allocation system will be used (start value 25 [20 weakness, 30 strengths from homeworld] with 60 points to allocate). Wounds always take the average, fate points will be rolled by me.

There is one exception: no final characteristic value may exist double at the end (so, strength 40 and toughness 40 would not be possible, but strength 40 and toughness 39 would be ok). This is to counter artificial min/maxing ;)

It would be great to get some characters via pm soon.

The Standard house rules I work with are the following 7:

1.) DoS/DoF calculation as in OW (per 10 difference)

2.) Called Shots is only a half action

3.) basic accurate weapons need to be braced to benefit from bonus damage (bulging biceps does not work here)

4.) The Leadership aptitude counts as an alternative to psyker for willpower increases

5.) Ag-Limits of Armour is always 5 lower than in the official books (e.g. Ag-Limit 50 becomes Limit 45)

6.) Telepatic Link differs between Sending and Reading:

> Thought sending: if the test has a volunteer target, give it +20; make its range 1km*PR​

> Thought Reading: Reveal information levels over several rounds while sustaining the power (1 round per PR with increasig depth); shorten the range for this use on 1m*PR with a -20 on the test if the target should not be aware of being read​

7.) Carrying limits go 1 steps down (characters can carry, lift etc. less), but bags, backpacks and similar carrying devices effectively half the weight inside them for the carrying character

If any of These rules is too strange to you, please tell me and we talk about it.

Regarding rolls, I'd prefer to let everyone roll by himself to Speed Things up. SO, that means I trust you so far to be fair (and if too strange statistics appear at one Player...well...lets just say, the emperors vengeance will be Swift and hard).

If a Player should post nothing for a too Long period of time, the GM (or another Player if the Player sets a Proxy) can post the characters Actions in the meantime.

Edited by GauntZero

How much starting XP?

Usually 1000XP are used.

I'd grant 1.500XP instead to give a little more freedom in char design.

What support do you use?

Forum? A topic in here? Etc.

Edited by InquisitorAlexel

I will make a forum topic here when we are ready.

You can discuss which chars to take here.

Will start working on my character today, ColArana have you decided on a desperado or assassin? Any idea what you would like to bring along Alexel?

Also whats the difference between OW and DH2e in terms of DoS/DoF?

Glad to get started either way =)

OW (and before) did give you 1 DoS (and 1 DoF) for each full 10 difference between your actual roll and your needed roll.

In DH2 (for whatever reason) they simplified this to be just the difference between the 10s digit of the needed roll and the actual roll (which is probably a little bit faster, but less accurate).

Will start working on my character today, ColArana have you decided on a desperado or assassin? Any idea what you would like to bring along Alexel?

Also whats the difference between OW and DH2e in terms of DoS/DoF?

Glad to get started either way =)

Hive World/Outcast/Assassin is the route I'm going. Realized they're functionally identical, save for the special ability, and that Assassin gives me better perception, while Desperado gives better toughness which I'm not likely to pour too many points into anyways.

Quick query on stat-allocation. Are we including Influence in the Point-buy for stats? Or will Influence be calculated separately?

Influence is a stat like all the others in regard to char creation (so, 60 points for 10 stats).

But keep in mind that you may not increase it with XP.

Alright. Almost good to go. Aside from starting gear. Just one more quick query.

When you say the "no doubling up on stats", does that account for divination?

Ie. I give my character say.... 30 Perception and 32 Toughness for example.

My divination boosts my Perception by 2, so it's now 32, same as Toughness. Does this mean I need to allocate some points to or away from one of those two characteristics, or is it fine that way?

I'd say, Divination comes afterwards, which means, if you roll a divination that creates one double its ok.

Done, sending in pm now.

I would like to make an occultist kind of character, the kind that plays in exorcism, ritualis, bindings and such. Of course as a starting character, he would be very far from good at this, but would this have a place in the game?

Maybe it is a little too specialized, not knowing what is to come.

But I leave the choice to you.

Just make sure in general that the group has a balanced approach and is not too one-sided.

Would people be interested in running this on a private forum? Something like proboards looks good to me.

https://www.proboards.com/

Would be good if we could get our characters acquainted soon, although under what circumstances I suppose is down to the ineffable GM ;)

So we've got an outcast assassin, and what else? I could go with an investigator type (classic arbites guy that ask questions and beat people who doesn't answer).

I've gone with a bounty hunter using an Arbite/Seeker build. However my character won't of been an official Arbite at any point, he'll have contacts amongst various Imperial organisations, most notably the Arbites, of his home world but that's as far as it goes. He's from a frontier world where the nascent Imperial institutions (and private citizenry) would often outsource their problems in the form of bounties, Imperial writs and judicial warrants. I'd be happy to see a real Arbite in the group (in fact its best if you don't think of him as an Arbite at all!), especially as I fully intend to deviate wildly from traditional Arbite combat style.

Edited by DarkWinds

Do we have any answers for melee combat yet? I can firmly declare that my Assassin is going to be pretty poor at it, and unless DarkWinds is going for offense in his Arbitrator, I'm guessing his character won't be too amazing at it either.

Would be unfortunate for this campaign to go belly-up the first time we end up in a small room holding a hive ganger or two with a chainsword.

Maybe we find a forth player...with 3 it could be hard to have all fields covered...