The Poll as it should have been, please add you honest answers anyone...

By Armrek, in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

I guess I am in the minority here

Yes

No

Yes + toolbox (both already paid for so as far as I am concerned they are mine.)

Navar said:

I guess I am in the minority here

Yes

No

Yes + toolbox (both already paid for so as far as I am concerned they are mine.)

I'm the same.

Yes

No

Yes (both box and toolkit)

Yes

Yes

YEs, ASAP.

No

No

Yes (I'm hoping the demo will be fun and I can convince my FLGS owner to sell me the Emperor's Decree copy afterwards)

An finally we have 50 responses, and the score is:

Having owned WFRP 1st ed: 82%
Having owned WFRP 2nd ed: 92%
Having owned WFRP 3rd ed: 16%

Looks like most are players of the prevoius editions, I would have liked some more replies to get a more valid result. So far this post has been viewed 415 times. Maybe some of you haven't voted yet ?

Some write that they are in a wait and see situaion regarding 3rd ed, so;

And after all I think Jay owes us a session demo video gran_risa.gif

Erik Bauer said:

1) Yes as I own all the expansions and mostly all of the adventures that were published (I miss chapters 3-4 of the doomstones, Castle Drakhenfels and the LicheLord one)

2)Yes as I own almost everything that came out (bar Forges of Nuln, Shades of the Empire and Thousand Thrones)

3)Nope. And I will start buying it only if it will appeal my gaming tastes.

After the recent news I'm going to change my answer for point 3 to:

3)Nope. And I'll never ever buy it, even if the gamesystem will be over the top. I'm not going to put my money on that product. The only possibility it has to enter my house is that me an my gaming group collect some money, buy a copy of the Box, get the good rules to integrate them in V2 and then burn it to the sacred cleansing fires of Solkan

Armrek said:

An finally we have 50 responses, and the score is:

Having owned WFRP 3rd ed: 16%

Looks like most are players of the prevoius editions, I would have liked some more replies to get a more valid result. So far this post has been viewed 415 times. Maybe some of you haven't voted yet ?

Some write that they are in a wait and see situaion regarding 3rd ed, so;

At first I couldn't understand your numbers. It looked like, by the answers, in question 3 was asking if you were GOING to purchase it. Then when I realized you actually asked, 'do you own it', I was even more confused since it's not released yet. I don't understand your poll I suppose.

Some interesting numbers though. Most people answered as if you had asked 'are you going to buy'. Out of 50 players:

• 26 will buy it
  • 9 are on the fence
  • 15 are no or hell no

Not bad numbers really, considering the amount of controversy and confusion surrounding it. Plus, I think that after the demo rolls, the reviews are out, and people get a chance to see things work (having seen it), there will be a more maybes than not buying, and a few no people too.

Yea, the numbers don't add up. The 3rd isn't out yet so the survey is flawed from the start, but it would be much more fair and accurate to report the numbers this way.

Having owned WFRP 3rd ed: 52%

Because 26 of 50 said that they would be purchasing the game. I think that is pretty good for a $100.00 game when money is tight for most people and those 52% are basing the decision to purchase the game solely on the reputation of the publisher and that of the IP.

And interestingly enough only 1 of those 26 is completely new to the system so we can now tell to have 2 kinds of die hard fans of WFRP. Those that love the setting indipendently on Publisher, Ruleset, Marketing Strategy and those that like not only the setting but are against the changes made in the Ruleset/Marketing Strategy.

Is it that hard to believe that some people here like the new system without being blindly devoted to FFG or GW?

Honestly speaking and after reading news, contents, marketing strategy and all?

To me, Yes.

Well, to be honest, I'm with you in terms of marketing strategy. Judging by the vitriol I read all over the web about 3rd edition, something wasn't done right.

Well, I love the setting.
Publisher, Ruleset, Marketing Strategy and alike does not concern me at all.
Money is not a problem for me and my players (because I buy all the books, boxes, games, and stuff, and usually do not care how much I pay for it as long as it is something that I want to have, they provide place to play, and snacks), any ruleset can be changed and homeruled and Marketing... well in my case this one usually works against the company that uses it.
I can be fooled once, but if company promises too much, and I don't like what I get, they loose a customer forever (this happened with Mythic in the case of the online abomination they made, and few other companies as well - mostly local publishers that I never buy from anymore, I can even wait few weeks, pay more, and order in other country just to not buy from those companies).
I never get back no matter what. Sure they not care, but neither do I (and I never miss an opportunity to enlighten others about such company).

And Yes, I like the system as it is. I've already seen it and read the books (briefly), tomorrow I will read them once more, and maybe see it in action.
You may not believe that there are some people that like the system without being devotees to some company, but that does not change the fact that there are.
I'm one of those people.

And as much as I don't care about Publisher, Ruleset, Marketing Strategy... I do not care either what other people say about somethig I like.
I like it, I will buy it, I will support it, and I will continue doing so even if the publisher will change, or they make another edition.
Because I like the Warhammer world, and setting, because I don't think that rules, or marketing strategy or current publisher have anything to do with how me and my players play, or how we create our own version of the world that we like.

Because I like to experiment with rules, and new ways of experiencing things.
Because with my closest friends I can play without any rules, and did that in the past. We don't need the rules to have fun.

BECAUSE I'M A CHAOS CHILD AND I LIKE CHANGES.

And after all, there are tons of addons that were made during the years, tons of fan made stuff. No publisher or marketing can destroy it in any possible way. So you can always go back, use it to fill the gaps, or make a mix.

Sunatet said:

Well, I love the setting.
Publisher, Ruleset, Marketing Strategy and alike does not concern me at all.
Money is not a problem for me and my players (because I buy all the books, boxes, games, and stuff, and usually do not care how much I pay for it as long as it is something that I want to have, they provide place to play, and snacks), any ruleset can be changed and homeruled and Marketing... well in my case this one usually works against the company that uses it.
I can be fooled once, but if company promises too much, and I don't like what I get, they loose a customer forever (this happened with Mythic in the case of the online abomination they made, and few other companies as well - mostly local publishers that I never buy from anymore, I can even wait few weeks, pay more, and order in other country just to not buy from those companies).
I never get back no matter what. Sure they not care, but neither do I (and I never miss an opportunity to enlighten others about such company).

And Yes, I like the system as it is. I've already seen it and read the books (briefly), tomorrow I will read them once more, and maybe see it in action.
You may not believe that there are some people that like the system without being devotees to some company, but that does not change the fact that there are.
I'm one of those people.

And as much as I don't care about Publisher, Ruleset, Marketing Strategy... I do not care either what other people say about somethig I like.
I like it, I will buy it, I will support it, and I will continue doing so even if the publisher will change, or they make another edition.
Because I like the Warhammer world, and setting, because I don't think that rules, or marketing strategy or current publisher have anything to do with how me and my players play, or how we create our own version of the world that we like.

Because I like to experiment with rules, and new ways of experiencing things.
Because with my closest friends I can play without any rules, and did that in the past. We don't need the rules to have fun.

BECAUSE I'M A CHAOS CHILD AND I LIKE CHANGES.

And after all, there are tons of addons that were made during the years, tons of fan made stuff. No publisher or marketing can destroy it in any possible way. So you can always go back, use it to fill the gaps, or make a mix.

That's a good and sturdy point, good for you that you have it. I guess we are like Puritans and Radical's 40K Inquisitors. We do venerate the same thing, just in opposite ways.

But now let's stop here this big Off Topic and let the poll clean.

I heart Sunatet. aplauso.gif

That was no marketing spiel or fanboi rant. That was honest, from the heart sentiment. I feel much the same way.

NezziR said:

That was no marketing spiel or fanboi rant. That was honest, from the heart sentiment. I feel much the same way.

Don't you think that also opposite toughts can be as honest and heartbound, just...well...opposite? gui%C3%B1o.gif

Erik Bauer said:

To me, Yes.

I know from my own case and a handful of others the reasons we say yes are:

• We are interested in t rying the game before passing judgement . Maybe we won't like every decision, but there could be gems in there to incorporate into our v2 games.
  • We are fortunate to have an income that allows us to try things on our own terms. And we're not going to be terribly upset if the game ends up being not for us.

Erik Bauer said:

NezziR said:

Don't you think that also opposite toughts can be as honest and heartbound, just...well...opposite? gui%C3%B1o.gif

Yes sir, I do. I respect others opinions as much as humanly possible, even when they don't agree with mine (though I am extremely opinionated).

Though you and I disagree on a lot of things, I respect your views. I've enjoyed debating you and you've given me much food for thought. I even sent you a friend request, which has gone unanswered, like most of the non-supporters I've made friend requests to corazon.gif

Stop being a meany and be my friend.

HedgeWizard said:

Erik Bauer said:

To me, Yes.

I know from my own case and a handful of others the reasons we say yes are:

• We are interested in t rying the game before passing judgement . Maybe we won't like every decision, but there could be gems in there to incorporate into our v2 games.
  • We are fortunate to have an income that allows us to try things on our own terms. And we're not going to be terribly upset if the game ends up being not for us.

I do know there could be hidden gems within this new edition and I already started yesterday evening to discuss their integration in V2 with my gaming group.

As for my anger, I feel and express it because I feel betrayed by FFG. I've bought anything possible from V1 and V2, I GM almost nothing but WFRP since 1996 as I believed both it's format, setting and rules were some of the best things we could have on the RPG market (and I DO have played lots of other systems and settings). Then I discovered that they did not just completely scratch and redo the whole gaming system but also decided to follow a "Collectionable Game" marketing strategy.

Those two things in my mind have conseguences and namely:

- V3 Material won't be rulewise compatible with V2 to a much larger extent. So let's forget to have new careers, rules and dedicated expansions. I know conversion will still be possible, but this days i lack time to do them.

- If V3 results in a commercial success, thing that I do fear will happen, more and more gaming companies will choose this marketing strategy to sell their products and in a decade we will be all remembering the past days when with a single handbook you could run year long campaigns ranging from paesants to 4 Level wizards power level.

Erik Bauer said:

- If V3 results in a commercial success, thing that I do fear will happen, more and more gaming companies will choose this marketing strategy to sell their products and in a decade we will be all remembering the past days when with a single handbook you could run year long campaigns ranging from paesants to 4 Level wizards power level.

The first problem here is nostalgia. You think that a real rpg should be made up of one book a pencil and some dice.I am sure rpgs evolve and will do so in the future. The concept "roleplaying" is not a fixed value and is not static. So if in the last century everybody used the red box and 6 different dice and thought it was a good rpg (for them at least) this means not this will be the playing style the next 100y. We see now the first radical design changes for major rpgs (see 4e) and others will follow if we like or not. And I guess we will see other radical changes the next decades.I find this is good because I am not a luddite (in the sense of "enemy of innovation" of course)

The second consideration is good old money. Sigmar knows that I am no friend of the 3rd ed. rpg/card hybrid because I dont like fiddly card games but OTOH I think that FFG does right in wanting to change the WFRP into something different more profitable by producing shiny props and add-on boxes and letting the customer pay for it. This is the only way for major roleplaying games licences to survive today. (not for small publishers with 3 men and one dog of course)

The alternative would have been giving out maybe 2 further 2nd ed. books, cashing in an alibi profit or loss and then letting the game die because its uneconomical to spend any creative energy into a product without the proper returns. With the new tremendous effort FFG puts into this edition the chances are that it will be successful and thus enabling the survival of WFRP. Even if I dont like the new system, I can at least appreciate the idea behind it from a commercial point of view (beeing the owner of a small company by myself).

Erik Bauer said:

I don't think that's something you really need to worry about. Most RPG companies don't have the resources that FFG do to create this kind of game. The only two that do are WotC and WW, both of which have their own strategies for new gaming formats (they'll probably be moving out of print and into online gaming).

1) Yes, near complete collection

2) Yes

3) It's on pre-order, so as soon as it's released then I'll have my copy.

I am not sure how I understand the argument that it's becoming or like a collectible card game? Merely because there are cards?

In most other RPGs (v1, v2 included) you had expansion books at a particular cost. Those expansion books outlined new careers, new spells, new equipment, new actions, etc.

In v3 you have expansion that cost about the same, that includes new careers, new spells, new actions, etc. Except now these are on cards.

???

HedgeWizard said:

I am not sure how I understand the argument that it's becoming or like a collectible card game? Merely because there are cards?

In most other RPGs (v1, v2 included) you had expansion books at a particular cost. Those expansion books outlined new careers, new spells, new equipment, new actions, etc.

In v3 you have expansion that cost about the same, that includes new careers, new spells, new actions, etc. Except now these are on cards.

???

Its the notion that if you took what is in the expansions and just made them books instead of cards, the product would cost less. That and the expansions (or at least the first one) is geared toward use by 1 player at a time (game).

Its also the notion of tracking time/progress and so forth with tokens, playing action cards before doing an action (requiring you have the card) and the concepts of flipping cards, and playing cards is very similar to tappin a card and what not.

I asked for some votes and got a lot of debate and other activity, but thanks anyways, it made the thread an exiting read. My counting might be a bit of on the 3rd ed side. But I made the guys who had preordered count as owners, I might have counted wrong. But Ok then we have some good guys on the forums that can do the correct counting

happy.gif

Thanks for your interest...