Expansions

By DurinIII, in Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game

Looks like there were two PoD heroes just released/announced. 10 dollars, I will do it, would like to see an expansion with more stuff in it, but the PoD gives me some hope.

These Hero packs are cool for two reasons. 1. It freshens the current game up. 2. Gives me hope that development for the game is still a thing. Im so excited!!!!!

I'm just happy that we can now stop hearing all the people moaning about how it looks like it'll never get an expansion because one didn't come out in the first six months.

I picked up this game as a replacement for lotr lcg, which I had stopped playing. However the game for me hasn't quite got the richness of lotr, so it ended up in rekindling my passion for lotr lcg! Just a long way of saying that this is also a once in a while game for me also. I,m pleased that there is some new stuff for this game, and I'll certainly pick it up, if only to encourage fighter expansions ;) it would be nice, if each new small expansion came with an adventure card, and maybe a new nemesis enemy, just to add to replay ability.

I'm just happy that we can now stop hearing all the people moaning about how it looks like it'll never get an expansion because one didn't come out in the first six months.

Oh, but now there will be moaning about it not getting a "proper" expansion with new quests and enemies. ;)

It has been 11 months since the game was released. So yeah, that "moaning" was probably well reasoned. FFG never goes a year without releasing expansions.

Edited by Toenail

It has been 11 months since the game was released. So yeah, that "moaning" was probably well reasoned. FFG never goes a year without releasing expansions.

It most certainly has not, this game came out at the end of November, so it's been a little over six months and we've been hearing the gloom and doom that the game is dead and abandoned for a few months already.

EDIT: For reference, the announcement of its availability was November 26th.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/11/26/choose-your-path/

Edited by Shadin

Some people have such very low expectations.

This took 7 months to release a total of 28 cards - 6 of which have nothing but HP values on them. So that's 7 months to release 22 functional cards, or about 1/3 of what any of the actual (far more complex) LCGs are getting on a monthly basis. I'm happy we got something new too, but that hardly seems like a level of dedication that justifies pulling out your standard fanboy IToldYouSo!

I'm honestly more confused by the release than anything else. Again, it's nice to see them, but it's a very strange way to release upgrades for the game. It was also done with no hype - no previews, no hint that it was coming, just here they are. I can't remember the last time FFG did that with anything. Any what do these packs mean for the future? If there's a real expansion (i.e. one that includes new quests/enemies/locations) coming soon then why release them separately, rather than as part of that? FFG's entire model for their games is based on bundling, why break it up here? And if there isn't anything else coming, as someone asked, why release them at all?

So yes, we got something and that's good... but I don't think we can say for sure what this means for the game's future.

It most certainly has not, this game came out at the end of November, so it's been a little over six months and we've been hearing the gloom and doom that the game is dead and abandoned for a few months already.

Ahem ahem GenCon.

This took 7 months to release a total of 28 cards - 6 of which have nothing but HP values on them. So that's 7 months to release 22 functional cards, or about 1/3 of what any of the actual (far more complex) LCGs are getting on a monthly basis. I'm happy we got something new too, but that hardly seems like a level of dedication that justifies pulling out your standard fanboy IToldYouSo!

I'm honestly more confused by the release than anything else. Again, it's nice to see them, but it's a very strange way to release upgrades for the game. It was also done with no hype - no previews, no hint that it was coming, just here they are. I can't remember the last time FFG did that with anything. Any what do these packs mean for the future? If there's a real expansion (i.e. one that includes new quests/enemies/locations) coming soon then why release them separately, rather than as part of that? FFG's entire model for their games is based on bundling, why break it up here? And if there isn't anything else coming, as someone asked, why release them at all?

So yes, we got something and that's good... but I don't think we can say for sure what this means for the game's future.

I actually think this is a negative sign for the game's future. It looks like these were already in development and they were released this way instead of through the larger quest expansion that this game needs. I agree that the lack of hype is a worrying sign -- like they wanted to squeeze out a few more bucks from work they already had done without building up hope for new development.

On the other hand, maybe they were always planning on releasing it this way, like Death Angel, and maybe they need more time for a quest expansion.

So speculation remains just speculation...

Part of the issue is the PODs are not announced four months in advance like other expansions. So any announcements now that weren't POD would come out late summer, and that is why people were worried, because that would be close to a year. And 28 cards is pathetic. But my guess is that they are going to release a big expansion at gencon, and this is the teaser.

And some people have unreasonable expectations and use them to speculate. The game was obviously a surprise success, given the rate that the first printing sold out, and FFG doesn't tend to have expansions in the works for games right at launch unless they're positive it'll be a success. Six months is not a huge amount of time to finish up other projects and then allocate resources to start making content for WHQ. The same thing happened with BattleLore, except that game took an even longer time before they cycled back around to produce more content (nine months before they were announced, eighteen months before they launched), and we had the same kinds of posts lamenting the death of the game almost immediately after launch. Not jumping to conclusions because expansions aren't immediately announced in the first few months of release for every game does not make one a fanboy.

Ahem ahem GenCon.

Except, of course, it didn't launch at GenCon, and instead was released on November 26th. Or are we expecting games to have expansions announced before they're launched like an LCG or we declare them dead and abandoned?

Good point about it being a surprise hit, and how a very lengthy delay between releases isn't necessarily a bad sign. Designers are assigned projects for many months in advance. It could be that no one is free to work on more WHQ content for a while, having been slated to work on other projects. We may yet see some more serious love given in the next year or two.

On the other hand, they may turn this game into something similar to Death Angel, albeit a bit more deluxe. Just a couple of expansions, spread out, yet a phenomenally popular game that sells like hotcakes for many years to come.

Our conjectures at this point are pretty speculative either way. I'm not sure we can really figure anything out, and likely will just need to wait and see what the future brings. If anything. :/

50 bucks that this game is done with expansions beyond this POD and maybe one more expansion (possibly big, possibly POD). Anyone? I'm going to be right.

Think about this hypothetical situation. GW is being GW, and is going to take away the license, right (this is speculation backed up by evidence)? So what would you do? I would rush out an expansion as fast as I can, preferably a POD one, so that the game at least has some content. Just saying, wouldn't that explain the lack of hype?

Edited by Toenail

Sure could be.

I wouldn't be too bothered if it was though, honestly. I think the game is great (although the locations could be more interesting and thematic), but I've never enjoyed the Warhammer setting.

If GW pulls the license, I wouldn't be surprised if FFG decides the enthusiastic response over this game justifies doing the same sort of mechanics for a different intellectual property. My wish would be Lord of the Rings, but I'd be willing to give pretty much anything a try.

50 bucks that this game is done with expansions beyond this POD and maybe one more expansion (possibly big, possibly POD). Anyone? I'm going to be right.

Think about this hypothetical situation. GW is being GW, and is going to take away the license, right (this is speculation backed up by evidence)? So what would you do? I would rush out an expansion as fast as I can, preferably a POD one, so that the game at least has some content. Just saying, wouldn't that explain the lack of hype?

Why would they suddenly pull the license right after making so much money licensing the world for Total War?

Why would they suddenly pull the license right after making so much money licensing the world for Total War?

Because you never know with GW and, as former Warhammer Fantasy gamers, I think my friends and me could find tons of examples where GW policies resulted in reduction of sales and loss of players (or you can google them :D ). I am still struggling to understand the reason behind it. :huh:

Rationally:

Gendalm, on 04 Jun 2016 - 01:39 AM, said:

Personally I am more concerned by the possible internal competition with Road to Legend (Descent) than Silver Tower

However it is even possible that GW would see WQACG as a threat to Silver Tower and renegotiate the license (if they haven’t done already).

I think Silver Tower would suffer more the competition of other existing miniature cooperative dungeon crawlers (and well established companies); we have begged GW for WQ for about 15 years (last expansion of WQ on white dwarf) and they have decided only now to try filling a market need.

Dear GW you are welcome to convince me that Silver Tower is better than my cooperative Descent (or other dungeon crawlers) but please spare innocent games like WQACG. :P

Edited by Gendalm

Just think... If Fantasy Flight included a flyer for the official WQ-Silver-Tower inside any WQACG expansion maybe that would be really beneficial to GW...? How about it FFG? :)

Just think... If Fantasy Flight included a flyer for the official WQ-Silver-Tower inside any WQACG expansion maybe that would be really beneficial to GW...? How about it FFG? :)

I would suggest another flyer in addition: Sigmar demands you to stop immediately buying Descent expansions just because of Road to Legend, Buy Silver Tower instead !! :angry:

It won't work for sure but at least it would show FFG good will... :D

Edited by Gendalm