Expansions

By DurinIII, in Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game

Anybody heard any news about expansions for this game? I am really hoping some come out!

I do too, but how else would anybody hear about them if not from the news page of this very site?

Spies from Mordor?

I'm hoping for the chance to fight as/against chaos warriors!

With the reprint already having hit the shelves, I'm surprised FFG hasn't made at least some hint at expansions.

I am surprised as well. Maybe they were waiting to see initial sales before they decided to invest further in this games development? I hope they do release regular expansions. This game is infinitely expandable just like LoTR LCG.

As much as I wouldn't mind another expansion for WHQ, given FFG's habit with GW products, I wouldn't hold my breath. Five months of nothing isn't necessarily a good sign, regardless of sales. Unfortunately it seems like FFG has just gone full Star Wars with minimal development of anything beyond Star Wars that isn't already part of their established massively successful franchises. TBH Elder Sign getting love is a bit surprising, but Relic not having anything isn't. I mean, look at Forbidden Stars. Been almost a year. FFG releases good games, but they have a very bad habit of not supporting anything that isn't Star Wars, or an older established game such as Battlelore, Descent, or Talisman.

FFG's current business practices make me sad.

I used to buy all sorts of their stuff, but the various updates feel blah (despite being pretty and high quality materials), and their avalanche of star wars releases and heavy focus on tournament play is a huge turn off.

I bought all of the x-wing minis game up to the 3rd wave, but it just kept coming. It rapidly became impossible to find anyone to play with casually, and it rapidly became impossible to have any chance in tourneys without having nearly all available ships.

Very sad how FFG's model turned me away from a game I really wanted to love for many years. It seems like a big cash-grab with little regard for longevity.

But this is enough digression. Bring on the Warhammer!

Edited by JohnGarrison1870

I agree 5 months with no expansion announced is a bad sign. I have not currently purchased the game. But I probably won't if they are not planning to support the game further.

Does anyone think GW paused and also looked at the sales and went, "Maybe WE should reprint/update the game and charge $250 for it!?" It seems like GW is slowly getting back in the business of boardgames with excellent minis...but huge price tags. I'm not talking smack, it's a genuine question. GW is a very strange and greedy company. I can totally see them doing something like that. It's a win, win to me as I like the Cardgame a lot, but would much rather a reprint of the actual game. WHQACG is kind of more related to the IOS Game than it is actual WHQ.

That all being said, I cannot agree more with the lame updates lately. Even the Star Wars updates have been lame. It's going to quickly get to the point where we will have to wait till GenCon for any major news.

Here's my concern. This game was announced last July and released by the end of November. That implies that it had been in development for quite some time (maybe a year? Longer?).

Wasn't Age of Sigmar announced around July also? My concern is that GW just stopped approving new works set in the old world, but since this was far enough along it was released as planned. All of the old world stuff from FFG (invasion, diskwars, this game) is either dead or frozen, with no new news. I hope the complete silence from FFG means that they are trying to negotiate with GW to allow them to release some expansions for at least this (hopefully diskwars as well). I have little hope, but I love this game and it would be so easy to release new content. Heck, it wouldn't even need to be in a box (although quest sheets make that likely), there could be quest packs in the size of LCG datapacks that release new heroes occasionally (like how conquest releases new warlords). Alternatively, something like unseen forces for elder sign that just adds a few more quests and some new heroes would be stellar. GW seems to be ok with 40k stuff continuing (at least conquest), but with re launches of space hulk, new games like assassination force and deathwatch, and even blood bowl getting re launched, it seems like GW is trying to get into the board game space. For the couple of years that that lasts (until they cancel them all again for moar space marines), that leaves us FFG fans in the cold.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. I'm sure a $200 re launch of Warhammer Quest is on the way...and it will be terrible compared to this game or descent.

Edited by FatherTurin

And also, since GW seems to be more than fine with 40k stuff, maybe if we can't get more old world, we can get it reskinned as an inquisitorial acolyte game. Not what I really want, but at least it will be better than Dark Heresy 2.0...

But why would GW look at Warhammer Quest as competition for age of Sigmar sales? One is a miniature game and the other is a card game. It is an interesting theory though. I just hope what ever the case is. FFG supports this game further. Because the expansion possibility is endless for this game.

Thoughts on what expansions should/could contain

• 1 New hero and corresponding set of action/legendary fortune/and player count cards
  • 1 new delve quest or side mission
  • 1 new campaign consisting of
    • 5 new quests creating a new campaign
    • 5 new nemesis characters
    • 2-4 new locations for each tier
    • 2-4 new sets of villains for each tier
    • 6 new dungeon cards
    • 6 new gear cards

I would pay about $25 - $30 for this expansion

What do you guys think, what would you want to see in an expansion?

Great ideas

Id also say that if they need to go for small blister pack releases, then id be ok with the quest cards being folded paper like the inserted rulesheets are (card better ofcourse)

or quest rules printed on one standard card then the peril tracker spread across 2 cards, just to get it to fit in a blister pack if thats all they could budget to

But really, more big box releases please ffg if you can. Game remains in bgg hotlist still, so popularity is there.

Thoughts on what expansions should/could contain

• 1 New hero and corresponding set of action/legendary fortune/and player count cards
  • 1 new delve quest or side mission
  • 1 new campaign consisting of

• 5 new quests creating a new campaign
  • 5 new nemesis characters
  • 2-4 new locations for each tier
  • 2-4 new sets of villains for each tier
  • 6 new dungeon cards
  • 6 new gear cards

I would pay about $25 - $30 for this expansion

What do you guys think, what would you want to see in an expansion?

I would like to see even more enemies (though I suppose since they'll each have three cards, Jesse's estimations are realistic). My biggest frustration with the old mini version was my inability to spend enough money and time on minis to have all of the enemies in the later combat tables. I've been hoping that the card game would correct that.

I'd be happy to get expansions in any form, but it would be cool if enemies/dungeon cards/quests were released as themed bundles, and new characters and gear had bundles of their own. I like a modular style of expansions that don't feel as though new scenarios are mainly intended for new characters and vice verse.

I hope that this game gets future support. It's too good to allow to languish, and the potential for unique scenarios is huge.

You know, if it goes too much longer, we may just have to make fan expansions for it. I already have a few ideas for heroes:

Norse Marauder

Dwarf Trollslayer

High Elf Swordmaster

Witch Hunter

Various other college of magic wizards (I feel that fluff wise any high elf Mage is just going to be too powerful to balance and feel right, but I would still love it)

While the existing heroes cover the archetypes and the actions (each hero has a different action that refreshes the others), there is plenty of design space to try different things. A Swordmaster, for example, could have the engagement abilities of the ironbreaker but exhaustion mechanic is similar to the waywatcher, while the Trollslayer could be all about raw damage, but maybe getting -1 shield on any roll when he attacks...

Anyway, there's also plenty of options for quests. Sylvania with undead and a vampire nemesis, the north with marauders and a chaos warrior nemesis, the wilds with beastmen and wood spirit enemies, lustria with clan pestilens and lizardmen, the options are almost limitless.

Oh, and my reference to age of Sigmar is that maybe GW just wants to nuke any reference to the old world ever again, not that this game would cut into AoS sales.

You know, if it goes too much longer, we may just have to make fan expansions for it. I already have a few ideas for heroes:

Norse Marauder

Dwarf Trollslayer

High Elf Swordmaster

Witch Hunter

Various other college of magic wizards (I feel that fluff wise any high elf Mage is just going to be too powerful to balance and feel right, but I would still love it)

While the existing heroes cover the archetypes and the actions (each hero has a different action that refreshes the others), there is plenty of design space to try different things. A Swordmaster, for example, could have the engagement abilities of the ironbreaker but exhaustion mechanic is similar to the waywatcher, while the Trollslayer could be all about raw damage, but maybe getting -1 shield on any roll when he attacks...

Anyway, there's also plenty of options for quests. Sylvania with undead and a vampire nemesis, the north with marauders and a chaos warrior nemesis, the wilds with beastmen and wood spirit enemies, lustria with clan pestilens and lizardmen, the options are almost limitless.

Oh, and my reference to age of Sigmar is that maybe GW just wants to nuke any reference to the old world ever again, not that this game would cut into AoS sales.

All these expansion ideas need to happen :)

As much as I wouldn't mind another expansion for WHQ, given FFG's habit with GW products, I wouldn't hold my breath. Five months of nothing isn't necessarily a good sign, regardless of sales. Unfortunately it seems like FFG has just gone full Star Wars with minimal development of anything beyond Star Wars that isn't already part of their established massively successful franchises. TBH Elder Sign getting love is a bit surprising, but Relic not having anything isn't. I mean, look at Forbidden Stars. Been almost a year. FFG releases good games, but they have a very bad habit of not supporting anything that isn't Star Wars, or an older established game such as Battlelore, Descent, or Talisman.

Remember a few things:

- the Asmodee transition has affected the normal schedule (this was stated several times in the last months, starting from the customer service apologizing via email to many of us for the delay on answers / shipments); clearly this means they focused their energies on the top-selling lines (LCGs and Star Wars)

- Sam Bailey (developer for Relic, Talisman, Forbidden Stars and Elder Sign) does not work with FFG anymore (as stated on his BGG personal page) so, I'm not surprised the games he was in charge are a little late on schedule

- the designers working on WHQ are external to FFG (the Sadler bros now work as freelance designers, and that's why they are actually free to answer questions on the different boards) so this could require extra time for the game to be expanded (a freelance designer is not an employee working regular shifts for only one company)

- expansions are usually announced after the beta testing ends, and from there to the game hitting the shelves a few months usually pass; so, maybe they're working on expansions, but it could take some time (Adam Sadler posted that expansions are likely to come if the game sells; this could very well mean that they didn't start designing expansions before the game was released, and this could mean more time needed - from the beginning of an alpha to the moment the gamma copy arrives in stores, 12 months can easily pass)

Just my two cents on the matter

EDIT: had the designers' names wrong, sorry guys

Edited by Julia

I'd like to add that Battlelore 2nd Ed came out ad then went silent for months just to have seven expansions fall from the sky. Combine that with how quickly the printings sold out they could be using that to judge the size of the X-pack they want to make. I say kick up your feet, play through the Delve quest a few more times and wait for the inevitable.

So, let me give my thoughts on game first before I get into what I would like to see in a expansion. The game feels similar to Elder Sign, Space Hulk, and Descent; mixing the combat dice from descent with the structure of Elder Sign and monster generation from Space Hulk. Overall I think FFG has done a great job making this a great game worth playing multiple times.

Now I agree with jesseshowalter on almost everything. I disagree with the number of heroes included, I believe two new heroes should bring new life old campaigns. With a new expansion a whole new set of locations would be great. This is the game borrows its structure from Elder Sign; the last two expansion of made the game modular in regard to the in-game locations changing based upon the campaign. However, this is where WHQ:TACG can excel, the new and old location cards can be mixed together for new delve quests. The number of nemesis should exceed what is currently included with the base game. Overall an expansion should/would consist of enough material to replace the modular aspects of the base game.

FatherTurin brings up plenty of points; using the WFRP source books for more monsters, locations, heroes, and items.

Compared to what FFG uses for the Elder Sign expansions, the same box size would be just large enough to include quests sheets the same size as what is included the base game.

Seriously, we are about to enter GenCon Radio Silence mode and there are only 12 products that are not LCG Packs or B.S. accessories for X-wing or Net Runner...colored flight stands? Really? Someone really wanted those? My point is, it's critical time for products to get into the que for a release by GenCon. After that, there usually are no major announcements until GenCon. I give it a another month, but after that, we may not see anything for WHQ until GenCon, then 3-6 months after that.

I'm just venting! Gimmie SOMETHING SADLER!! haha.

It's like Rune Age...Great game...only one expansion....the game might not need another expansion..but new missions would be nice....So hopefully this game doesn't end up like Rune Age...these 2 games have great potential for expansions.!!

And Elder Sign just got a completely random, unannounced, completely unlooked for expansion...

Granted it's only a pack of 50 small cards, but still...gives me hope. Perhaps only a fool's hope, but as we know from LOTR, sometimes a fool's hope comes true...