quick PSA regarding Omega Leader's ability

By ficklegreendice, in X-Wing

So here's my issue. This just popped up in a game me any my buddy were playing.

Scum Boba VS Omega Leader.

Range 1

Omega Leader HAS a target lock.

IF Omega SPENDS that lock. Can Scumba Fetts ability trigger AFTER it is SPENT to re roll defense results?

So here's my issue. This just popped up in a game me any my buddy were playing.

Scum Boba VS Omega Leader.

Range 1

Omega Leader HAS a target lock.

IF Omega SPENDS that lock. Can Scumba Fetts ability trigger AFTER it is SPENT to re roll defense results?

The relevant steps of the attack would be:

1. Roll Attack Dice

2. Defender (Fett) Modifies Attack Dice (Boba cannot do this if OL has a lock even if he has an ability that allows him to do so -- Zuckuss, 4LOM)

3. Attacker (OL) Modifies Attack Dice (This is where OL spends the lock).

4. Defender Rolls Defense Dice

5. Attacker Modifies Defense Dice (Typically OL uses Juke here)

6. Defender Modifies Defense Dice (This is where Boba uses his ability).

So, if the attacker spent the TL in step #3, Boba would be free to use his ability in Step 6, along with spending any other tokens he has.

Edited by AlexW

And the Noob questions all....

So I've read this whole post and still haven't found an answer to my question, if I target lock a ship, does OL's abilities only affect that ship if being attacked by OL? Lets say i target a ship with OL and during a round that ship attacks or defends against another ship. Does omega prevent that ship from being able to change the dice? Or is it limited only to OL. It seems that ship would be constantly hindered by OL if target locked and it would prevent it from changing no matter who that ship is attacking or defending against.

if I target lock a ship, does OL's abilities only affect that ship if being attacked by OL?

OL's ability only applies while he's shooting the ship he locked or that ship is shooting him.

From the rulebook:

CARD INTERPRETATIONS

Many Ship card abilities use the word “you” to refer to the corresponding ship. Upgrade and Damage cards that use the word “you” refer to the ship to which the card is assigned.

Add Han crew in to Changing results

I would if anyone added Han to their squads ;)

Shots fired... no wait, shots returned, because Han always shoots first!

How does Latts Crew interact with OL?

Sorry if this is a dumb one, I'm still learning the verbage of the game...a year and a half later.

8 hours ago, Scopes said:

How does Latts Crew interact with OL?

Sorry if this is a dumb one, I'm still learning the verbage of the game...a year and a half later.

Latts removes a stress from the target to add an evade result. Adding dice results counts as modification. It's therefore not allowed.

"You cannot modify" means the ship OL has locked cannot reroll dice, change results, or add results .

Adding dice (e.g. Jan Ors ship) or another ship altering defence (Palpatine, unless he's the one being targeted) is allowed, as is cancelling dice.

3 minutes ago, ThalanirIII said:

Latts removes a stress from the target to add an evade result. Adding dice results counts as modification. It's therefore not allowed.

"You cannot modify" means the ship OL has locked cannot reroll dice, change results, or add results .

Adding dice (e.g. Jan Ors ship) or another ship altering defence (Palpatine, unless he's the one being targeted) is allowed, as is cancelling dice.

@Scopes If that was confusing, the difference is whether the added dice is fixed on a result (= adding dice result) or whether you have to roll it (=adding dice). Adding a result counts as modifying, adding a dice that you will roll does not.

6 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

@Scopes If that was confusing, the difference is whether the added dice is fixed on a result (= adding dice result) or whether you have to roll it (=adding dice). Adding a result counts as modifying, adding a dice that you will roll does not.

Thanks! That is a great clarification.

7 hours ago, ThalanirIII said:

Thank you! There's an ongoing discussion at my FLGS about whether or not a ship OL has TL'ed can reroll dice or add die results; your explanation ties in nicely to what I inferred from the FAQ Rules Reference.

Edited by Scopes
Mixed up FAQ and RR
4 minutes ago, Scopes said:

Thank you! There's an ongoing discussion at my FLGS about whether or not a ship OL has TL'ed can reroll dice or add die results; your explanation ties in nicely to what I inferred from the FAQ.

This is covered in the RUles Reference. What Modifying Dice is is specifically addressed, but for clarity OL prevents:

- Adding die results (e.g. Advanced Targetting Computer, evade token, the second part of Accuracy Corrector)

- Changing die results (E.g. Weapons Guidance, Sensor Cluster, autothrusters, focus token)

- Rerolling dice (e.g. Lone Wolf, Target Lock)

It's also worth noting that his preventing the modification also prevents the associated token being spent e.g. if Keyan attacks OL, normally he could spend a stress to change eye results, even if none were visible. OL stops him from spending the token, regardless of the results. It's not often relevant, but it is occasionally (Keyan, Garven, R4 Agromech).

He does NOT prevent:

- Cancelling dice (E.g. Crack Shot, the first part of Accuracy Corrector)

- Changing the number of dice prior to rolling (E.g. range bonuses, Jan Ors pilot ability, Mauler Mithel pilot ability, Kanan Jarrus pilot ability etc.)

44 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

He does NOT prevent:

- Cancelling dice (E.g. Crack Shot, the first part of Accuracy Corrector)

- Changing the number of dice prior to rolling (E.g. range bonuses, Jan Ors pilot ability, Mauler Mithel pilot ability, Kanan Jarrus pilot ability etc.)

It's far easier to just remember this bit, because the list of things that OL stops goes on forever. :P

2 minutes ago, Stevey86 said:

It's far easier to just remember this bit, because the list of things that OL stops goes on forever. :P

It's literally 3 items long, plus one minor corollary.

5 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

It's literally 3 items long, plus one minor corollary.

When you put it into categories yes.

When you count up individual game effects, it's much better to just look at what OL's ability doesn't stop, rather than what it does.

1 minute ago, Stevey86 said:

When you put it into categories yes.

When you count up individual game effects, it's much better to just look at what OL's ability doesn't stop, rather than what it does.

Why would you count all the individual game effects when the categories are plenty? You just need to ask yourself if a given ability is doing one of those things, and if it is, that thing is blocked, along with the spending of any token or similar that causes it.

6 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

Why would you count all the individual game effects when the categories are plenty? You just need to ask yourself if a given ability is doing one of those things, and if it is, that thing is blocked, along with the spending of any token or similar that causes it.

Because I've found a lot of people find it easier to grasp if I just tell them that only Crack Shot, Palp on another ship, and something that adds a die work vs. OL.

19 minutes ago, Stevey86 said:

Because I've found a lot of people find it easier to grasp if I just tell them that only Crack Shot, Palp on another ship, and something that adds a die work vs. OL.

Which is not remotely a complete list of things that work against OL.

Had this come up at a SC: OL has Jess TLed. Jess has Poe TLed via M9-G8. Poe is attacking OL. Can Jess reroll Poe's attack die with M9? The restriction on modifying is when that ship is attacking OL or defending against his attacks. Since Jess is doing neither, does she get around OL's ability? At the SC it was rules that yes she does, but I wanted to hear other opinions.

Just now, defkhan1 said:

Had this come up at a SC: OL has Jess TLed. Jess has Poe TLed via M9-G8. Poe is attacking OL. Can Jess reroll Poe's attack die with M9? The restriction on modifying is when that ship is attacking OL or defending against his attacks. Since Jess is doing neither, does she get around OL's ability? At the SC it was rules that yes she does, but I wanted to hear other opinions.

There are no opinions on this. The ruling at the tourney was correct.

8 minutes ago, defkhan1 said:

Since Jess is doing neither

^That's really all you needed to determine here. Tourney ruling was spot on.

Thanks, that's what I figured, just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was missing.