quick PSA regarding Omega Leader's ability

By ficklegreendice, in X-Wing

Updated for recent HLC ruling

hey guys,

we've had one thread on this already, but given that we're about to see quite a bit of this amazing little FO, I thought it best to consolidate his ability here before people start asking for unnecessary FAQs

omega-leader.png

MODIFYING DICE
Players can modify dice by spending focus, evade,
and target lock tokens and by resolving card abilities.
Dice can be modified in the following ways:
Add:
To add a die result, place an unused die
displaying the result next to the rolled dice. A die
added in this way is treated as a normal die for
all purposes and can be modified and canceled.
Change:
To change a die result, rotate the die
so that its faceup side displays the new result.
Reroll:
To reroll a die result, pick up the die and
roll it again.
Dice can be modified by multiple effects, but a die
cannot be rerolled more than once.
Examples of Adding Results
Evade Token (adds an evade result, which then cancels damage. the token itself does not cancel damage)
C3po (adds an evade result before other dice modifiers, if you guess correctly)
Advanced Targeting Computer (adds a critical result)
Accuracy Corrector (adds two hit results)
Examples of Changing Results
Focus Token (changes focus to hits or evades)
Emperor (changes a die result to one of your choice. Yes, "el presidente" trumps the emperor. Remember that his ability on works when attacking him or being attacked by him , so stuff running over asteroids and changing the damage die is still valid)
Sensor Jammer (changes enemy hits to focus. remember, you cannot modify ANY dice against Omega; including his)
Juke (as above; changes enemy evade to focus instead)
Heavy Laser Cannon:
GOLDEN RULES
If a rule in this guide contradicts the Learn to Play
booklet, the rule in this guide takes priority.
Card abilities can override the rules listed in this
guide. Mission rules can override both card abilities
and rules from this guide.
If a card ability or mission effect uses the word
“cannot,” that effect is absolute and cannot be

overridden by other effects

FFG has ruled in favor of this. Though it makes little thematic sense, HLC cannot change its crit into a hit as the rules of the game give clear priority to Omega's "cannot" over HLC's "must"
Examples of Re-rolls
Target-locks (remember, you can only not modify dice. You'll still have TL for purposes of requirements such as Ordnance or Omega's Ability)
Predator/Lone-wolf/Seri (all self explanatory)
So, what doesn't Omega Leader ignore?
NOTE : A Word on the Emperor

According to the rules reference, the "you" in the emperor's card does not refer to the player, but to the ship bearing the emperor. The ship that the emperor is on is modifying the dice

Because Omega's ability specifies "Enemy ships that you have target-locked," there is nothing stopping the emperor from modifying your target's dice unless you're targeting the emperor's ship

CARD INTERPRETATIONS
Many Ship card abilities use the word “you” to refer
to the corresponding ship. Upgrade and Damage
cards that use the word “ you ” refer to the ship to
which the card is assigned.
Most importantly, Omega Leader doesn't ignore dice canceling. His hit results and yours can still be canceled by green dice, as that occurs in a step outside modifying dice known as Compare Results .
This means you can use Crackshot on him without issue (but not Juke, as that changes an evade into a focus during dice modification), and it means that he likes to carry Juke because he can't ignore naked
green dice on his own.
Abilities that govern what can or cannot be canceled (such as numb), or which cancel dice (ion/flechette cannons & T-beams, Wampa) are also unaffected.
Secondly, Adding Results is not Adding Dice (re: rolling additional dice). Range bonuses and obstruction still come into play. Subtracting dice (rolling X less dice) is also not mentioned under Modifying Dice, so Kanan (pilot) is good to go, Strom is still the man and Weapons Failure still sucks
Omega Leader also does nothing against abilities that add or reduce agility, such as Cloak, Gemmer, or Wedge.
Extra attacks, such as TLT or even gunner, have nothing to do with modifying dice (except for Luke Crew's focus --> hit, that gets shut down)
Finally, remember Omega is only about Modifying Dice. Tokens exist to modify dice, but their actual acquisition and expenditure isn't dependent on being able to Modify Dice (so Keyan can still spend his stress to modify nothing, for example). This also means that guys like Carnor or Palob can still deny/yoink tokens without issue.
with all that out of the way, go enjoy flying (or getting murdered by) our new glorious FO overlord ^_^
Edited by ficklegreendice

Add Han crew in to Changing results

Oh man, that Accuracy Corrector one is brutal, and is definitely going to come up in a tourney unless they put out an FAQ.

Same thing also applies to Bossk, who cancels a crit to add two hit results.

And of course, Omega Leader does absolutely nothing to prevent you from modifying dice if you just don't target him and let your wingmen deal with him.

EDIT: Oh, hey. Expose would also count as a hard counter against this guy!

Edited by PhantomFO

I would if anyone added Han to their squads ;)

Oh man, that Accuracy Corrector one is brutal, and is definitely going to come up in a tourney unless they put out an FAQ.

Same thing also applies to Bossk, who cancels a crit to add two hit results.

And of course, Omega Leader does absolutely nothing to prevent you from modifying dice if you just don't target him and let your wingmen deal with him.

absolutely true

Omega is a 26 point pocket-ace. He won't dominate the game, he's just mean as hell if he's one-on-one against someone

So Luke, Poe and Keyan are on the chopping block.

however if you run a list with both high and low PS ships, he can't TL them all! so... pew pew crumbles to Focus fire, unless his squad has XX-23 Tracers just to keep him/her alive

however if you run a list with both high and low PS ships, he can't TL them all! so... pew pew crumbles to Focus fire, unless his squad has XX-23 Tracers just to keep him/her alive

I wouldn't try to keep him alive that hard

"el presidente" or not, dude's still a Tie Fighter. 26 points for what he does is a steal, but don't expect the world of him. He is, after all, no Soontir

just keep him in the back of the formation, or flank hard, and let him do his dirty work

I wouldn't try to keep him alive that hard

"el presidente" or not, dude's still a Tie Fighter. 26 points for what he does is a steal, but don't expect the world of him. He is, after all, no Soontir

just keep him in the back of the formation, or flank hard, and let him do his dirty work

im not saying its a good form of protection, but if you have say a certain PS 3 Tie adv with AC and XX-23 so that he can survive an almost certain death by TLT's it wouldnt go amiss for one point. not to mention (arguably) the best blocker/nuisance that exists in a Tie adv.

the question that came up in the other thread. is he really trumping the emperor? the targetet ship can not modify dice but if the emperor is on another ship, is the emperor or the targeted ship modifying the die??

the question that came up in the other thread. is he really trumping the emperor? the targetet ship can not modify dice but if the emperor is on another ship, is the emperor or the targeted ship modifying the die??

My gut feeling is that since the dice belong to the targeted target-locked ship, those dice cannot be modified, regardless of where the modification comes from. However, I don't see any way to come to this conclusion without an entry in the FAQ.

Edited by Budgernaut

Copied from other thread.

There's actually an interesting argument to be made here. I would suggest that, under specific circumstances, you actually can use the emperor to modify rolls associated with Omega Leader's TL'ed victim.

Those cicumstances are that the TL'ed ship must not be the ship the Emperor is on. Bear with me:

1) Only the ship that Omega Leader has a TL on is prohibited from modifying dice.

Omega Leader: Enemy ships that you have locked cannot modify any dice when attacking you or defending against your attacks.

2) The Emperor's ship is the one doing the modifying.

Emperor Palpatine: Once per round, you may change a friendly ship's die result to any other die result. That die result cannot be modified again.

On page 2 of the Rules Reference, there is a definition of the term "you" on upgrade cards:

Many Ship card abilities use the word “you” to refer to the corresponding ship. Upgrade and Damage cards that use the word “you” refer to the ship to which the card is assigned.

So, in the example of Palp+Aces, the shuttle is the ship performing a modification whenever you use Palpatine's ability. That means that if Omega Leader shoots at Fel and has a lock on him, Fel cannot use any focus or evade tokens or autothrusters to help himself because that would be the locked ship performing modifications. However, the emperor shuttle is not locked by Omega Leader and is not prohibited from modifying dice. Therefore, the emperor can be used to modify Fel's defense roll. The only time you cannot use the emperor against Omega Leader is when Omega Leader has a lock on the ship carrying Palpatine.

man that sucks

there is a precedent for emperor being able to modify the TLed ship provided it isn't his own

CARD INTERPRETATIONS
Many Ship card abilities use the word “you” to refer
to the corresponding ship. Upgrade and Damage
cards that use the word “ you ” refer to the ship to
which the card is assigned.
Thanks for bringing it up, guys. Added to the OP

It seems pretty simple to me.

If you want to modify dice in the Modify Dice step on an attack or defense roll, and Omega Leader has you target locked, and Omega Leader is the attacker or defender, then no.

If what you want to do occurs outside the Modify Dice step, then yes.

the technical answer (going by the definition of "you" in the rules reference):

the ship that the emperor is on is modifying the dice

if the ship that the emperor is on is the fulfilling the conditions for OL's ability, then it cannot use the emperor on itself

this on the other hand concludes that noone attacking OL or beeing attacked by OL can use palp as long as you keep the lock on the shuttle.

Edited by Taiowaa

this on the other hand concludes that noone attacking OL or beeing attacker by OL can use palp as long as you keep the lock on the shuttle.

it does not

OL's ability only applies when you're attacking or being attacked by the TL ship

so emperor doesn't give a flipping frick unless he's the one shooting or getting shot by OL while OL has him locked.

note: it's not "your opponent cannot modify any dice", it's "enemy ships that you have TLed cannot modify any dice"

because "you" is defined as the ship bearing the upgrade, Palpie can influence OL's target unless the ship Palpie is on fufills the condition for OL's ability

Example:

OL shoots a locked Fel. Fel cannot spend his evades/focus or use thrusters to modify his dice, even if he got a focus from fleet officer or something.

Palpie's shuttle is not an "enemy ship(s) that you have locked" so it's free to influence the roll

if Palpie's shuttle is locked and attacking or being attacked by OL, it cannot spend its focus or use emperor on itself. It can still use emperor on attacks outside of ones involving OL and itself

Great technical post, thanks Fickle! I didn't yet realise the full power of his darkside, and have been letting all kinds of dice mod shenanigans go on under his watch. No more!

this on the other hand concludes that noone attacking OL or beeing attacker by OL can use palp as long as you keep the lock on the shuttle.

That's incorrect. There are two triggers for OL's ability.

1) OL locks onto the ship.

2) OL attacks or is attacked by the locked ship.

If you lock onto the Palpatine shuttle and shoot at Fel, you are fulfilling the first requirement but not the second. Therefor, OL's ability doesn't activate and you can use the Emperor's ability.

this on the other hand concludes that noone attacking OL or beeing attacked by OL can use palp as long as you keep the lock on the shuttle.

Not actually. Lock down only applied to ships that a) are target locked and b) are attacking or defending against the ol. If the palp shuttle is locked but not attacking or defending, nothing is halted.

yeah i just forgot the attacking part. so you're right. would be to crazy to just lock a ship and counter palp

and a minor thing here:

in regards to HLC (which must modify its initial crits to hits), I can't find any explicit wording

In Warmachine, for example, there is a very clearly established hierarchy (MUST trumps can't, can't trumps may)

I'm willing to bet the same occurs in X-wing, but there is no concrete wording that I could find

hlc crits to hits and mangler hit to crit happen after rolling but BEFORE the modify step i would say

edit: mangler is a may change so i think both weapons only deal hits against him.

Edited by Taiowaa

Shaking my head.

What a mess.

yeah i just forgot the attacking part. so you're right. would be to crazy to just lock a ship and counter palp

it's still a measly TIE and it still isn't going to bring any real hurt to palpmobile aces