Sorastro's Painting

By Sorastro, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Your YouTube videos were a great inspiration to me. My wife and I just finished painting our entire Descent collection. Next we will paint Mansion of Madness. I'll be looking to you Zombicide videos as a guide. Thanks for posting your work.

Your YouTube videos were a great inspiration to me. My wife and I just finished painting our entire Descent collection. Next we will paint Mansion of Madness. I'll be looking to you Zombicide videos as a guide. Thanks for posting your work.

Thank you Budapest!

Great work, Sorastro! I regret that already painted base game minis and can't follow your guide

Great work, Sorastro! I regret that already painted base game minis and can't follow your guide

I use Citadel paints. Is there a safe and efficient way to remove paint from models and totally redo your work? My early work is a little so-so, and I protected the paint with hair spray(!). Which works well on drawings, obviously not on figure paints.

I use Citadel paints. Is there a safe and efficient way to remove paint from models and totally redo your work? My early work is a little so-so, and I protected the paint with hair spray(!). Which works well on drawings, obviously not on figure paints.

Simple Green works very well and does not damage the plastic in my experience. https://www.amazon.com/11001CT-Building-All-Purpose-Cleaner-Concentrate/dp/B0017D1GG6/ref=pd_bxgy_328_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ZF4HEC6XSTCEZ94B5Q2C

It comes in smaller sizes too, just the first link I could find easily.

Soak the mini for several hours, go at it with a toothbrush, rinse and repeat as necessary. Oh, and it smells lovely IMO, so no need to worry about a divorce.

Edited by tomkat364

Actually, any all-purpose cleaner should work. If stripped some of my figures with a different brand and it worked out well.

If you are unsure how aggressive the stuff is you can dilute it with water. The process takes (much) longer though.

Edited by Chaoticus

Hey, Sorastro!

As a long-time painter (30+ years, though I'm not NEARLY as good as you!) and having been deeply entrenched in the miniature gaming industry for 20-odd years, I just have to say that you are absolutely brilliant!

The tutorials are wonderful, easy to follow, and the results are an absolute joy to see!! I painted my IA Darth Vader according to your tutorial there, and my Stormtroopers, and have now started the Heros of the Descent 2nd Edition core set. My Leoric of the Book looks GREAT! And though, yes, I painted him, I used your tutorial and followed it emphatically, resulting in a GORGEOUSLY colored piece!! Even with 30+ years of experience, and knowing many, many Golden Demon painters here in America, there's no way I could have sussed out the paint choices and blends and produced a model of such quality and a source of such pride. And now I'm eagerly following the Avric Albright tutorial to another gorgeous result!

To anyone here reading these comments, if you've gotten this far, you know how amazing people think Sorastro's tutorials are. But don't just go on our words. Go. Try them. Support him on Patreon. These tutorials are the best I've ever seen!

And, Sorastro, a very deeply heart-felt thank you. I wish you all the best in all of these endeavors, and I'm very happy that you can do this full-time now! Yay for more tutorials! :) And I like learning how to pronounce some of the GW paint titles with such a proper English accent! ;) #WeYanksaresilly

And just so you know... My mates and I are playing a campaign with Leoric, Avric, Jain, and Grisban.... If you happen to make tutorials on Jain and Grisban next, I wouldn't be upset about that... ;)

Edited by monkeyboy30672

Hey, Sorastro!

As a long-time painter (30+ years, though I'm not NEARLY as good as you!) and having been deeply entrenched in the miniature gaming industry for 20-odd years, I just have to say that you are absolutely brilliant!

The tutorials are wonderful, easy to follow, and the results are an absolute joy to see!! I painted my IA Darth Vader according to your tutorial there, and my Stormtroopers, and have now started the Heros of the Descent 2nd Edition core set. My Leoric of the Book looks GREAT! And though, yes, I painted him, I used your tutorial and followed it emphatically, resulting in a GORGEOUSLY colored piece!! Even with 30+ years of experience, and knowing many, many Golden Demon painters here in America, there's no way I could have sussed out the paint choices and blends and produced a model of such quality and a source of such pride. And now I'm eagerly following the Avric Albright tutorial to another gorgeous result!

To anyone here reading these comments, if you've gotten this far, you know how amazing people think Sorastro's tutorials are. But don't just go on our words. Go. Try them. Support him on Patreon. These tutorials are the best I've ever seen!

And, Sorastro, a very deeply heart-felt thank you. I wish you all the best in all of these endeavors, and I'm very happy that you can do this full-time now! Yay for more tutorials! :) And I like learning how to pronounce some of the GW paint titles with such a proper English accent! ;) #WeYanksaresilly

And just so you know... My mates and I are playing a campaign with Leoric, Avric, Jain, and Grisban.... If you happen to make tutorials on Jain and Grisban next, I wouldn't be upset about that... ;)

Hello! Thank you so much for the kind words! It's late here now so I just wanted to briefly thank you and let you know that I am indeed painting Grisban next :)

Keep on keeping on, my friend! Your work is positively amazing and I look forward to supporting you in the future!

Keep on keeping on, my friend! Your work is positively amazing and I look forward to supporting you in the future!

Thank you sir!

I'm slowly continuing through the core set, and next up Grisban the Thirsty joins the party! You can find the tutorial here :)

30656606412_4a3cdc00f8_b.jpg

This is great. I've watched all your tutorials thanks for putting them up!

This is great. I've watched all your tutorials thanks for putting them up!

Thank you Gibbilo!

The next episode is now up and it's Widow Tarha . I hope you like it!

31291619302_e68a3c2e37_b.jpg

We are about to start painting our core set -- first time painters and will be using your guide! You make it look so easy, Sorastro. I hope we can make them look even half as good :)

Hello!

It's been a while, but I've just completed the Jain Fairwood guide for anyone who's interested :)

33260094876_f9dd0cfba4_b.jpg

Awesome work as always Sorastro!

My son loves your videos, which cost me an Imperial Assault set. (He is 7, but followed along as best he could when painting the troopers.. he liked the 'battle damage' a little TOO much and most of the troopers have been shot no fewer than 7 times each).

I really like your colour choices for the leather... Unfortunately I already painted mine using XV-88 and it came out a little darker and less yellow, which ended up hiding more of the detail around the vest seams... Next time I guess.

Edited by Silidus
55 minutes ago, Silidus said:

Awesome work as always Sorastro!

My son loves your videos, which cost me an Imperial Assault set. (He is 7, but followed along as best he could when painting the troopers.. he liked the 'battle damage' a little TOO much and most of the troopers have been shot no fewer than 7 times each).

I really like your colour choices for the leather... Unfortunately I already painted mine using XV-88 and it came out a little darker and less yellow, which ended up hiding more of the detail around the vest seams... Next time I guess.

Thanks a lot Silidus! That's one lucky boy you have to have a father who's into such wonderful hobbies :)

These tutorials look really good! They make it look really easy.

Just wondering though, which paints should I get if I want to start (cheaply :D) with painting Descent? (Say goblin archers.)

Thanks,

IrishCyborg

16 hours ago, IrishCyborg said:

These tutorials look really good! They make it look really easy.

Just wondering though, which paints should I get if I want to start (cheaply :D) with painting Descent? (Say goblin archers.)

Thanks,

IrishCyborg

Hi IrishCyborg!

You might like to start with a few Vallejo colours, or Army Painter perhaps? They're a fair bit cheaper than Citadel paints :)

On 12/03/2017 at 11:01 AM, Sorastro said:

Hi IrishCyborg!

You might like to start with a few Vallejo colours, or Army Painter perhaps? They're a fair bit cheaper than Citadel paints :)

Thanks! I'll try those.

Regards,

IrishCyborg

Vallejo paints are really good. Army Painters paints I've had some mixed results. The Army Painter reds I have, have very little pigment and don't cover properly. This could also be that the pigment is stuck at the bottom of the bottle and won't come off even when shaking.

There's a pretty good chart too in dakkadakka site which you can use to help you select paints: https://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

It's not 100% accurate but close enough. I would recommend the citadel shades/washes though to get results that are closer to Sorastro's. The shades can leave quite different results. Some are shinier or darker than Citadel's. If you use other shades, then mix in some glaze medium to thin the shade at least on the first few times. You'll get a better idea how the shade works and can build the darkening effect in stages so you don't accidentally overdo it. It's easier to add more shade than to highlight too dark areas again.

Hello fellow adventurers!

It's been a while, but I've finally begun work on the monsters from Descent. I hope you enjoy the episode (now coming to you in 4K resolution)!

34647430761_b4eaa6e8a4_b.jpg

Marvellous! Thank you. I've not dared to start on the elementals, since they are kind of complex. This will get me going! Keep up the good work.

Hey folks -

i couldn't find an answer to this in the forum but my apologies if this has already been answered elsewhere.

Before painting the Descent minis, do you recommend washing them? If so, with what? Many resin models come with mold release on them which can prevent paint adhesion.

TIA!

Garthbo

On 2017-5-29 at 7:35 PM, Garthbo said:

Hey folks -

i couldn't find an answer to this in the forum but my apologies if this has already been answered elsewhere.

Before painting the Descent minis, do you recommend washing them? If so, with what? Many resin models come with mold release on them which can prevent paint adhesion.

TIA!

Garthbo

I wash them with dish washing liquid and a large paint brush or tooth brush. Or just move them around in soapy water, was told that works too. Sometimes I use 70%alcohol with a paint brush, rub it on and rinse in water after. That is when the kitchen sink is too full :)

On 5/20/2017 at 2:13 PM, Sorastro said:

Very nice, as always! Where did you get the gates? Do you actually play Descent with the gates on the outside of the playing tiles, or was this just for photo purposes? I never thought of doing that, but it does add to the atmosphere.

Hello fellow adventurers!

It's been a while, but I've finally begun work on the monsters from Descent. I hope you enjoy the episode (now coming to you in 4K resolution)!

34647430761_b4eaa6e8a4_b.jpg

Edited by keschnell