Sorastro's Painting

By Sorastro, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Hi and thank you all for the recent flurry of nice comments!

I have finally made time to work on the next episode of the Descent series (Leoric Of The Book) and I'm aiming to complete the episode by the end of the month.

Ultimately I would like to complete the base-set heroes, then any of the additional monsters, lieutenants, and heroes that people would most like to see :)

Thanks again for the supportive comments!

Sorastro.

Thank you Sorastro, you rock :)

Personally I would love to see all the heroes from all the expansions painted, they would look amazing.

I just ordered a bunch of those Micro bases you used in that first video, although the thought of cutting one my heroes from their base terrifies me!!

I'm afraid of even trying to paint one... if I ever do I'm using this guide for sure, and other lesser, cheap minis will be sacrificed first...

Ill post mine sometime for you to laugh at :D

Hi Sorastro, very nice painting. I would say, very inspiring. I have been following you youtube channel for a while now and looking forward to your painting of other Descent characters. Also, have you heard of Mice and Mystics? I have been looking for good painting videos for them and I can't seem to find one. Maybe you could take a look and add them to your list?

Mice and Mystics, another great game!

Hi Sorastro, very nice painting. I would say, very inspiring. I have been following you youtube channel for a while now and looking forward to your painting of other Descent characters. Also, have you heard of Mice and Mystics? I have been looking for good painting videos for them and I can't seem to find one. Maybe you could take a look and add them to your list?

Shhhh don't distract him! It takes 40 hours to make one of these videos, including composing his own music, so we need to just keep him excited about Descent for as long as possible :D

*in evil demonic voice*

"There is no Mice and Mystics, only Descent!"

Sorastros - I'm trying to blatantly copy your awesome bases from this video - but terrified of cutting up and drilling my models. Is there any advice you can offer on this process? Any special drill or bit size I should try and get? Thank you

Sorastros - I'm trying to blatantly copy your awesome bases from this video - but terrified of cutting up and drilling my models. Is there any advice you can offer on this process? Any special drill or bit size I should try and get? Thank you

Hi Palleon!

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I use the hobby drill that Citadel sells and it looks like the drill bit is about 1mm wide.

The Descent minis come off their bases pretty easily to be honest. It's a good idea to inch you way round the outside of each foot with your knife rather than just slice through from one side only. There's not much to it really though.

The most common mistake I make whilst drilling is I sometimes go too far and come out the other side (I actually did that with Syndrael!) but it's nothing that a little green stuff won't patch up. It might seem scary at first but it's really not too difficult, and it's definitely worth it for the extra stability the wire provides.

Incidentally you might like to know that I've finished filming the next episode and am aiming to complete the editing and composing within the next few days :)

27312479235_a58875672b_b.jpg

Sorastro, are you available for hire?

Hi Umar! Do you mean as a commission painter?

Hi Palleon!

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I use the hobby drill that Citadel sells and it looks like the drill bit is about 1mm wide.

The Descent minis come off their bases pretty easily to be honest. It's a good idea to inch you way round the outside of each foot with your knife rather than just slice through from one side only. There's not much to it really though.

The most common mistake I make whilst drilling is I sometimes go too far and come out the other side (I actually did that with Syndrael!) but it's nothing that a little green stuff won't patch up. It might seem scary at first but it's really not too difficult, and it's definitely worth it for the extra stability the wire provides.

Incidentally you might like to know that I've finished filming the next episode and am aiming to complete the editing and composing within the next few days :)

Thank you for the advice. The micro art studio bases have just arrived, so I hope to get some painted up and ready to be mounted in the next few days, so will invest in a drill and give it a go!

Looking forward to the next video. Thinking of becoming a patron due to the Descent ones :)

Yes, I sure do!

Yes, I sure do!

I'm afraid not - mostly due to time constraints, but also because I find creating tutorials more fulfilling (and they help more people enjoy the hobby) :)

Hi Palleon!

27312479235_a58875672b_b.jpg

We are all waiting!!!

Also, I always read your comments with that sexy voice of yours.

OK, I just picked up the Descent core set yesterday. It may be quite a way off, but I'm really looking forward to your tutorial on the Elemental, how you paint a figure that is a combination of fire, earth, air, and water.

(And consider this a vote in favor of doing the Elemental early on.)

Edited by Leveton

OK, I just picked up the Descent core set yesterday. It may be quite a way off, but I'm really looking forward to your tutorial on the Elemental, how you paint a figure that is a combination of fire, earth, air, and water.

(And consider this a vote in favor of doing the Elemental early on.)

As another user pointed out, a way to convince sorastro to focus more on descent minis is to become a patreon and pledge $1 or more if u can.

Im looking to secure a stable job and then ill be able to do so.

Oh, I'm already one of his Patreon sponsors. I'm still hard at work on my Imperial Assault stuff, largely following his tutorials.

Oh, I'm already one of his Patreon sponsors. I'm still hard at work on my Imperial Assault stuff, largely following his tutorials.

Is there a link on his page to sponsor him? I'm not seeing it.

Yes, it is. You can klick on the Button in the Videos (right upside corner) oder in the description.

And I think there will be a button on his Webside too.

The more of you sponsor him, the faster we get more videos ;)

Hi fellow painters!

The Leoric painting guide is now live for everyone. He's pretty fiddly but a lot of fun to paint! Now that I have two heroes complete I'm really looking forward to trying out the new co-op app :)

27494356685_c6df7769c6_b.jpg

Hello, I am a late comer to this topic.

No Sorastro I won't say you " Bravo, It's wonderful, great Job" because every single person in this topic does say it a billion times per post :-D

Am I joking ? I am totally amazed by what you do !! :D

This is a great job. I just discovered you in this topic but well... I guess I just have to give it a try and thank you for sharing your work and method with us.

Many many thanks and great job again !

Elrad

Thank you Sorastro

Hello!

It's been a while but I've completed the next episode in my ongoing Descent painting series. I hope you like it!

29792489841_a5e6f12a80_b.jpg

Thank you Sorastro!

Nice quality vids coming from you.

I already did this guy using the techniques from the last tutorial. (Aren't they fairly similar?)

Any chance you'll be doing monsters soon?

Keep up the good work! ;)

Ahh Sorastro I was wondering if you'd given up on Descent! I literally just finished using your Leoricnguide last night after a fairly mediocre attempt at Avric! I may use your guide to touch him up!

Would love to see some monster or lieutenant painting guides!

Nice! Sorastro's vids are the ones that inspired me to paint mine.

I already completed the monsters and heroes on the core set using Sorastro's techniques including Imperial Assault. I would say Sorastro makes it looks very easy.

I'm waiting on how Sorastro will make the red effects on Zachareth's arms.

Thanks a lot guys! I'm going to be producing 1-2 Descent videos each month from now on, and may well begin including some of the monsters alongside the heroes. I think I'd like to complete the base set before moving on to any of the expansions though.

Happy Painting!