Sorastro's Painting

By Sorastro, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Hello Descent fans!

I recently got round to painting my first Descent hero and thought I'd share my efforts:

23279112535_a3f653f806_b.jpg

I've also made a painting tutorial to help any beginner painters out there who would like to start painting but aren't sure where to begin. (The techniques are pretty basic so might not be of interest to more advanced painters but will hopefully be of use to a total beginner) :)

Happy Painting!

This is the ultimate painting guide guys!

Im extremely happy about him doing a Descent series (he has done imperial assault and zombiecide)

very recommended!!!

I can't recommend Sorastro's videos strongly enough. His paint jobs look great, his videos are easy to follow and very well made, and he even does his own music for the tutorials.

In case you can't wait for him to cover a specific topic you are interested in: from his Imperial Assault series, episodes 9 and 11 cover painting fur. Episode 8 covers reptilian scales. Episode 6 has adding details to an existing base, rather than re-basing.

Edited by Leveton

Awesome work as always Sorastro. I liked watching this video just as much as I've enjoyed the Imperial Assault ones. I don't own Descent nor do I plan getting it as it's so similar to Imperial Assault.

However, I have Runebound (3rd edition) which seems to use the same figures as Descent so I'm sure I'll find these videos helpful (though I've already painted Elder Mok, Master Thorn and Laurel. But there are bound to be expansions). I always get better results when painting by these tutorial videos rather than on my own.

Edited by Elrath

Awesome work as always Sorastro. I liked watching this video just as much as I've enjoyed the Imperial Assault ones. I don't own Descent nor do I plan getting it as it's so similar to Imperial Assault.

However, I have Runebound (3rd edition) which seems to use the same figures as Descent so I'm sure I'll find these videos helpful (though I've already painted Elder Mok, Master Thorn and Laurel. But there are bound to be expansions). I always get better results when painting by these tutorial videos rather than on my own.

Thanks a lot gonz86, Leveton and Elrath!

I admit I was a little nervous about disappointing the IA fans by branching out to cover some fantasy so I really appreciate the positive feedback.

I'm waiting for my copy of Runebound to arrive but I believe you're correct about it using minis from the Descent line (which makes sense - same universe and all) so I think it would be crazy for me not to cover the minis! :)

I Actually painted all my IA miniatures following your tutorial, Thank you very much Sorastro!!!! They came up very well, and I can only thank you for being so patient while explaining in detail EVERYTHING. Thank you very much!!!

Really impressive, congrats dude. :D

Thank you eljolly and leewroy!

I Actually painted all my IA miniatures following your tutorial, Thank you very much Sorastro!!!! They came up very well, and I can only thank you for being so patient while explaining in detail EVERYTHING. Thank you very much!!!

I have also been painting my IA minis with your tutorials. I can't wait to see how these descent minis get the Sorastro treatment, and even more excited to see my own descent minis come to life.

Hey Fellow Descent Addicts!

Let's vote for D2E on Sorastro's poll of what we'd like to see him paint next!

This link will take you to his google doc site where he has a poll set up. Please vote for D2E!

If you'd like to see some of his work then check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Sorastro/featured

Kind regards,

-Umar

Edited by UmarSlobberknocker

Oh I hadn't put 2 and 2 together, you're the guy from those awesome vids. Dude you're a BEAST no way I could ever get my minis looking that good.

Thanks for doing this. I've been painting my Descent figures for a while, but now I'll be able to make them look decent for once!! :)

Thank you for all your hard work Sorastro! I started watching your videos a couple months ago and you inspired me to try and start painting. Your videos are a wealth of resources for beginners like me. I even caved and purchased some "nuln oil" after seeing the night and day difference it made on some of your minis. Keep up the hard work and "happy painting!"

vote for descent!! sorastro has the best tutorials!!!

vote for descent!! sorastro has the best tutorials!!!

I agree 100%. In my opinion his tutorials are the best. He thinks of everything.

Please follow the link and vote for D2E! I would LOVE to see him do more Descent characters.

http://goo.gl/forms/ag5j0P6tjB

I'd really like to see how he paints some of the more recently released heroes, lieutenants, or monsters. I've seen plenty of tutorials on the base set - not that I don't still want him to do those. Heck, I'd love to have him paint up a tutorial for every mini in Descent. My paint and brush collection are growing because of this guy.

Hi and thank you all for the recent flurry of nice comments!

I have finally made time to work on the next episode of the Descent series (Leoric Of The Book) and I'm aiming to complete the episode by the end of the month.

Ultimately I would like to complete the base-set heroes, then any of the additional monsters, lieutenants, and heroes that people would most like to see :)

Thanks again for the supportive comments!

Sorastro.

I have finally made time to work on the next episode of the Descent series (Leoric Of The Book) and I'm aiming to complete the episode by the end of the month.

Ultimately I would like to complete the base-set heroes, then any of the additional monsters, lieutenants, and heroes that people would most like to see :)

Sorastro.

You do excellent work! I can't wait to watch the Leoric video!

Great job Sorastro :-) Please, continue on Descent2 :-)

Sorastro.

Thank you Sorastro, you rock :)

Personally I would love to see all the heroes from all the expansions painted, they would look amazing.

I just ordered a bunch of those Micro bases you used in that first video, although the thought of cutting one my heroes from their base terrifies me!!

That's pretty detailed.Looks good though. Maybe whenever I finally have everything I'll try my hand.

I agree. His painting techniques add so much detail that I never knew I needed until I saw him do it.

Please vote for D2E on Sorastro's webpage! He's going to paint up Leoric of the Book next. Let's keep him painting Descent characters! He's painted enough IA for a while.

You can find the poll right here:

http://goo.gl/forms/ag5j0P6tjB

Edited by UmarSlobberknocker

Sorastro.

Thank you Sorastro, you rock :)

Personally I would love to see all the heroes from all the expansions painted, they would look amazing.

I just ordered a bunch of those Micro bases you used in that first video, although the thought of cutting one my heroes from their base terrifies me!!

I'm afraid of even trying to paint one... if I ever do I'm using this guide for sure, and other lesser, cheap minis will be sacrificed first...

Hi Sorastro, very nice painting. I would say, very inspiring. I have been following you youtube channel for a while now and looking forward to your painting of other Descent characters. Also, have you heard of Mice and Mystics? I have been looking for good painting videos for them and I can't seem to find one. Maybe you could take a look and add them to your list?