Sorastro's Painting

By Sorastro, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Hello Descent fans!

I've just published a video showing my take on the Ettins if anyone's interested :)

36894590946_d0462b9ca0_b.jpg

Been using your vidoes as a guide as much as posible, it helps a ton. Hope you'll get more Descent vidoes out.

Hello!

It's been a while but I've finally completed the Descent base set and thought I'd share a few pics of the last few minis, along with a group shot.

It's taken three years to paint and "tutorialise" but has been such a rewarding journey! Now onto some of the expansion minis... :)

32259537588_36a5534c6b_b.jpg

45406762144_776a404e35_b.jpg

31191514387_30ea771fd2_b.jpg

Except the base I dislike (I love black classic bases with nothing more on it, especially on descent since the environnement can change it's strange to have a base with nature in interrior), the paitning is awsome ! I would love to paint mine like this, but i'm not skilled enough

Really enjoy your videos. I've painted some of my minis, but I'm not at your level, but I'm proud at what I have accomplished. I've painted my base set, Lair of the Wyrm, Oath of Outcast and almost finished Crown of Destiny.

Are you going to do more videos on Descent?

Edited by ZAR THE BARBARIAN
Misspelled word and forgot to ask a question.
On 12/19/2018 at 11:51 AM, rugal said:

Except the base I dislike (I love black classic bases with nothing more on it, especially on descent since the environnement can change it's strange to have a base with nature in interrior), the paitning is awsome ! I would love to paint mine like this, but i'm not skilled enough

Thanks a lot Rugal! I hear you RE the bases; my figures actually spend 99.9% of the time sitting in a cabinet so it makes sense for me to give the bases the scenic treatment; clear acrylic bases might be my preferred option if I wanted the minis to blend in with the board however :)

On 12/20/2018 at 7:57 AM, ZAR THE BARBARIAN said:

Really enjoy your videos. I've painted some of mine minis, but I'm not at your level, but I'm proud at what I have accomplished. I've painted my base set, Lair of the Wyrm, Oath of Outcast and almost finished Crown of Destiny.

Thank you ZAR! Wow getting that lot painted up is quite an accomplishment, and I bet they look great on the tabletop! :)

My friends say, for a beginner, they look great. I might post them at boardgamegeek, at some point.

17 hours ago, ZAR THE BARBARIAN said:

My friends say, for a beginner, they look great. I might post them at boardgamegeek, at some point.

Why not here in your own topic ^^?

Edited by TryFal

I thought about it.

I'm not very good with pictures or computers, and last night tried to figure how to reduce the picture size, because I noticed there is maximum size you can post.

If I can figure out the photo dilemma, I will probably post my pictures.

I'm just not very good, when it comes to technology.

P.S. I'm not sure how I figured out boardgamegeek's photo shop, but some how I did.

That is only reason why I was going to post them there, because I knew how to do it on their website.

Edited by ZAR THE BARBARIAN
On 12/1/2018 at 4:21 PM, Sorastro said:

It's taken three years to paint and "tutorialise" but has been such a rewarding journey! Now onto some of the expansion minis... :)

Hello! Thank you for posting here.

I really like how your scenics+painted fantasy minis come along together. Those are not pictures you'd normally show in the tutorials :)

Descent's expansions have some weird interesting looking monsters, hope you get some eventually, along with any other fantasy miniatures which is by far the best I see from your collection!

On 12/1/2018 at 3:21 PM, Sorastro said:

Hello!

It's been a while but I've finally completed the Descent base set ....

It's taken three years to paint ...

The patience was worth it, you've got a really good match to the colours and look of the sculpts. I've not started any painting yet as i want to do my collection justice, and also may tailor some of the designs to my adventures (I have different sculpts or duplicates of some figures through first edition or buying extra sets for my projects so can have fun doing different versions of some of them!)

On 12/27/2018 at 9:23 AM, GralQ said:

Hello! Thank you for posting here.

I really like how your scenics+painted fantasy minis come along together. Those are not pictures you'd normally show in the tutorials :)

Descent's expansions have some weird interesting looking monsters, hope you get some eventually, along with any other fantasy miniatures which is by far the best I see from your collection!

Thanks a lot! Oh yes, I have plenty of the expansions and will begin work on some of them shortly.. :)

On 12/30/2018 at 8:04 AM, Watercolour Dragon said:

The patience was worth it, you've got a really good match to the colours and look of the sculpts. I've not started any painting yet as i want to do my collection justice, and also may tailor some of the designs to my adventures (I have different sculpts or duplicates of some figures through first edition or buying extra sets for my projects so can have fun doing different versions of some of them!)

Thank you! Sounds like you have many hours of fun painting ahead of you :)

Is there a wordpress or a blog on how you painted the monsters and heroes you never made a video for? I've been following your tutorials and with out them I couldn't imagine how my miniatures would look, your tutorials are just so darn incredible and detailed they have really helped me out so much you'll never know.

Sadly there are no tutorial videos for the smaller monsters like Goblin Archers, Zombies, Cave Spiders. Flesh Moulders and Barghest's or for Tomble Burrowell or Ashrian.

Did you at all make a blog on how to paint them? Or can you (or anyone else for that matter) suggest a guide for painting the other monsters and heroes? Or at least what paint colors where used?

Edited by Rekkless88
9 hours ago, Rekkless88 said:

Is there a wordpress or a blog on how you painted the monsters and heroes you never made a video for? I've been following your tutorials and with out them I couldn't imagine how my miniatures would look, your tutorials are just so **** incredible and detailed they have really helped me out so much you'll never know.

Sadly there are no tutorial videos for the smaller monsters like Goblin Archers, Zombies, Cave Spiders. Flesh Moulders and Barghest's or for Tomble Burrowell or Ashrian.

Did you at all make a blog on how to paint them? Or can you (or anyone else for that matter) suggest a guide for painting the other monsters and heroes? Or at least what paint colors where used?

I think they're on his patreon, but I'm not sure.

Edited by Dadler93