Skirmish Map Puzzle Guides

By thereisnotry, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

Looks nice and it was Forensicus that did it first, but now most of us uses preprinted maps, so dont need it anymore.

Except those of us who play at FFG, we can't use pre-printed maps. So we use foamcore templates to drop in the maptiles instead:

I3mb12w.jpg

AqsnbeT.jpg

Makes assembly very easy. And if you own multiple tile sets, you can leave them assembled for transport.

Cat not included.

So like at a FFG store or just events, because you can always ask them to alow the prerpinted maps, I was under the understanding that they allready did.

Nope. Sanctioned events do not allow them. I have yet to see a sanctioned event that does here in Minnesota.

The link does not work anymore. Can you please update your forum post with a working link?

The link does not work anymore. Can you please update your forum post with a working link?

I just tried it, and it worked fine. Maybe there was a problem with the OneDrive service. Try it again, and see if it works. If it doesn't, then PM me (so I'm sure to get it quickly) and I'll see what I can do.

Not working. Can you please check again from a different browser or without being logged in into your account?

That's interesting. I've changed the link in the first post. Please let me know if you have any further trouble.

Working. Thank you!

These look like they are US Letter/A4 sized. Could these be enlarged to 18x24/A2 size so they could be used as a template when laying down the tiles?

These look like they are US Letter/A4 sized. Could these be enlarged to 18x24/A2 size so they could be used as a template when laying down the tiles?

Yes, they are designed for regular A4 or 8.5 x 11 inch paper.

Hmm, your idea is interesting. However, I didn't come her to free slaves I didn't design these things to be templates. The idea behind these guides is that they would be the same size as the Skirmish Rulesheets (ie, the sheets that have the maps and mission setup instructions) so that they could share a transparent protective sleeve together in a binder. At least, that's how I use them. Then I just take the 3 sheets that I need for a given tournament with me, and it's easy to carry and use. At least, that was my design intention. It's the KISS principle, because the whole point of these guides in the first place is to help simplify setup. It seems to me that if you're having to fiddle with several different sheets just to get a single template set up in the first place, then you're just making more work for yourself. But maybe that's just me.

As I think about it more, it seems to me that increasing the size of the printed guide would present some problems in some cases:

--Not all maps are going to necessarily fit inside an 18x24 frame as you suggest, which means that you've then got to find another size. [i've found this to be an issue when designing the IA Skirmish Vassal Module too; there's no real uniform width or length limit, which makes designing a uniform background for the map a little bit more complicated.] Furthermore making it 24x24 is just huge...and difficult to print (which brings me to the next thing on my mind...).

--The guides currently print very easily on a regular sheet of paper (and as I said, they are easy to store/protect at that size too). I expect that many people would have trouble printing an irregular paper size. I guess I could design the guides to fit on 2 regular sheets of paper (ie, 11x17 but that would be too small in almost all cases) or else even 4 sheets (22x17, which would still likely be too small at times...and then what if a larger map comes out later? Do we go to a 33x17 or 22x34 size? At that point we're getting into poster-sized templates). So it seems to me that going beyond 4 regular sheets in size would be just a bit unwieldy.

--Do you really want a piece of paper sitting under your board? Wouldn't it feel cluttered, especially when the edges of the paper start to curl? I guess you could remove the guide after piecing the map together, so maybe that wouldn't be a problem.

--However--and I guess this is the main hesitation I find--what I've found is that after building the map once or twice, you really don't need a template anymore; at that point the primary value of these guides is that they make it easier to read the tile numbers and to see which piece goes where. Furthermore, the shapes of the tiles are clearly shown on the guide (along with significant markings, like red lines and difficult terrain) and so it's not hard at all to figure it out once you've got your pieces ready. [When you go to a tournament you do keep all of your tiles for each map in a separate ziploc bag, right?]

So those are my initial thoughts about the challenges with turning these guides into templates. It wouldn't be very difficult to resize the MS Excel documents that I've used to make the guides, but I'm just not sure it would be worth it in the long term.

If you have other or further ideas then please feel free to share. :)

All the maps from Wave 6 (Bespin Gambit and associated ally/villain packs) have been uploaded to the link in the first post.

I think they're free of errors because I've double-checked all the maps myself by building them according to these sheets alone. However, it's very possible that I still could've missed something so if you find an error then please let me know and I'll fix it asap.

Enjoy!

All maps from Wave 7 (Obiwan, Inquisitor, Greedo) have been uploaded to the link in the first post.

If you find a mistake please let me know and I'll fix it asap.

May the Force be with your maps!

All maps from Wave 8 (Jabba's Realm) have now been uploaded to the link in the first post.

Please let me know if you find any errors.

Enjoy!

Updated with the Nal Hutta Borderlands map. Special thanks to robertpolson for the reminder!

Nice resource! Thanks for your effort.

These are awesome.

One of the competitors at our Regionals today had one, and it totally saved me figuring out the Anchorhead Bar map (which I didn't know had an error in it).

On 1/14/2017 at 8:25 AM, thereisnotry said:

All maps from Wave 8 (Jabba's Realm) have now been uploaded to the link in the first post.

Please let me know if you find any errors.

Enjoy!

The Jabba's Palace guide has 5 x 36B tiles on the map itself. The bottom two (attached to the Rancor's Pit) should be 18B instead.

These helper guides are a great resource, and were a big help at the one tournament I've been able to attend so far.

Edited by scwont

I've added the map guides for Wave 9 (Hera & Chopper, BT-1 & 0-0-0, Jawa). You can get them via the link in the first post. Enjoy!

Also, I've fixed the errors on the Jabba's Palace map. Thanks to scwont for the heads-up!

We have a National's tournament coming up where we are not allowed to sue unofficial mats. These guides will save everyone lots of time.

Thank you very much for keeping the puzzle guides updated!

49 minutes ago, robertpolson said:

We have a National's tournament coming up where we are not allowed to sue unofficial mats. These guides will save everyone lots of time.

Thank you very much for keeping the puzzle guides updated!

Haha! I just searched for this original post about an hour ago. Thank you @thereisnotry for having a cool handle, but also for updating these maps for us. I find these crazy helpful.

Edited by NeverBetTheFett

My pleasure, guys! Really, when I go all-in on a game I tend to do this for myself anyway, so it's just a small step to share it with the rest of the community. I'm just glad that other people find them helpful too!

Hey @thereisnotry , any chance wave 10 is in the works? I am seriously considering worlds this year, and have no intention of spending the $60 on the Official mats.

Your work is much appreciated!

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:34 AM, wannabepudge said:

Hey @thereisnotry , any chance wave 10 is in the works? I am seriously considering worlds this year, and have no intention of spending the $60 on the Official mats.

Your work is much appreciated!

Yes, for sure. Thanks for asking. I've been working on a number of different projects and I had forgotten that I forgot to post the new map guides. Thanks for the reminder! I'll try to get them done in the next few weeks or so. If not, then please PM me a reminder.

And yeah... free is a whole lot cheaper than $60 ! lol

14 hours ago, thereisnotry said:

I'll try to get them done in the next few weeks or so.

You rock!

I've just uploaded the 5 skirmish maps from the Heart of the Empire expansion (along with the Maul, Ahsoka, and Palpatine packs). Please let me know if you find any errors.

Thanks, and enjoy!