Skirmish Map Puzzle Guides

By thereisnotry, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

Hey everyone,

If you want to save some time building puzzles (I mean, maps) at a tournament, then I've got some resources for you. I've put together some Skirmish Map Puzzle Guides for myself, and I'm sharing them with the community. Someone else (sorry, I forget who) originally came up with this idea; I copied the idea and made a format of my own and kept tweaking it until I came up with what I have now. Each pdf document is a single page and will print on a regular 8.5 x 11 piece of paper.

I used these at the GenCon National Championship and several people saw them and mentioned that they'd love to have a copy, so here is a link to my OneDrive, where you can download all the current maps in my OneDrive folder .

I will be keeping this thread up-to-date with the release of each new Wave.

Maps currently in the folder:

Wave 1 (Core): 10 maps

Wave 2 (Twin Shadows): 4 maps

Wave 3 (Reinforcement Group 1): 3 maps

Wave 4 (Return to Hoth): 6 maps

Wave 5 (Reinforcement Group 2): 2 maps

Wave 6 (Bespin Gambit): 5 maps

Wave 7 (Reinforcement Group 3): 3 maps

Wave 8 (Jabba's Realm): 6 maps

Wave 9 (Reinforcement Group 4): 3 maps

Wave 10 (Heart of the Empire): 5 maps

Wave 11 (Tyrants of Lothal): 5 maps

My suggestion for preparation if you're going to a tournament is to use these guides to help build each of the maps and then keep those tiles sorted into separate bags...I find that one labeled Ziploc bag for each map works great. Then when you get to the tournament you can just pull out the appropriate bag and refer to your puzzle guide and you'll be set up in no time. I would suggest that you do NOT just put all your tiles in a single bag and try to sort them out when you're sitting at the table; that will cause unnecessary brain-drain and it will also be a pointless waste of time.

Edited by thereisnotry

These are very helpful. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you!

While these things are helpful and I dont want to take any credit away from the people that take time to make them and share them with us, I just wanna ask, do you really feel it is necessary?

I have only played in 1 tournament and if you just had the tiles in bunch like me it went really fast to build it anyway. No problem with the time limit.

One person had to pop them out of their chart and that took a litte longer.

My question is, is this a real problem at tournaments or do everyone just assume it will be?

To other that dont use a system like this, do you feel like it is a problem?

Necessary? No.

Helpful? Yes. These things were very helpful in the Nationals at GenCon.

If you took a poll of skirmish players on this site, you would find that the overwhelming majority of them do not like the puzzle-building requirement of this game. We'd prefer to play on pre-printed maps. But since we can't yet, I offer these things to help simplify the process.

Hey, I love those maps! Thanks so much for doing this. I was playing a game at my FLGS this weekend, and the person playing had these, so when I went home I immediately printed them out. Would love it if you updated this for the new maps!!

Thanks.

Thanks. I'll see about getting the new maps up soon.

That is great! Thanks for your work on these!!!

You're welcome! I hope to have the guides for the new maps (Wookiees, Hired Guns, etc) in the near future.

Any update on the Training Ground map from the Storm Trooper's pack. It is the current map that is required for tournaments that is missing from these great pdfs. Really speeds up the assembly time of the maps.

I'm actually working on it today. I'll try to upload it asap. I'll post here when I do.

Do upload or do not upload, there is no try! ;) . Too easy to pass up.

Was just thinking about the latest for these guides. They are so nice to have and REALLY help. Thanks for all your work on these. Looking forward to them.

Uploaded them, I have. Waiting still for my Hoth stuff to arrive, I am.

Click this link to get the Wave 3 map guides, you may: http://1drv.ms/1Q1qysS

Thank you!

Thanks so much. If you want scans of the Hoth maps to get started, let me know. Just got mine this week from the FLGS.

Thanks so much. If you want scans of the Hoth maps to get started, let me know. Just got mine this week from the FLGS.

The reason I need the copy of the game is for testing and double-checking my work before I publish it for everyone to use. I found errors on 2 of the last 3 maps the other day, but that is precisely why I test them first by building the maps in person myself.

Thank you for these help files!

Any updates on Wave 4 (Return to Hoth) and Wave 5?

Looks nice and it was Forensicus that did it first, but now most of us uses preprinted maps, so dont need it anymore.

Looks nice and it was Forensicus that did it first, but now most of us uses preprinted maps, so dont need it anymore.

Except those of us who play at FFG, we can't use pre-printed maps. So we use foamcore templates to drop in the maptiles instead:

I3mb12w.jpg

AqsnbeT.jpg

Makes assembly very easy. And if you own multiple tile sets, you can leave them assembled for transport.

Cat not included.

Edited by Fizz

Is that one of those Imperial At-Cat walkers?

Nice idea with the the foam core. I had tried drawing them on the boards for the strength, but hadn't thought to hollow them out. I stopped trying to keep up with them all though.

I play casually at home with any and all maps, so the grid guides are a great help as opposed to only tracking the current tourney legal ones. Grid on one side and the scenario guide on the other in plastic sleeves all in a three ring binder makes that part of the game setup so much easier. Also, as the eyes have gotten older, the clear and larger graphics of the grid guides are so much easier to read than the FFG inserts.

It is a cat walker! Much more dangerous than they appear.

You trace out one level of foam core and then glue it to another board. Dollar Tree (and other dollar stores) usually sell the 20"x30" like the ones you see here for, you guessed it, $1 a board.

All told, it's about $2 in materials and and 60-90 minutes of work.

All the maps for Waves 4 and 5 are now uploaded. Continue to use the link in the original post of this thread.

As always, please let me know if I've made a mistake on one of the maps.

Enjoy!

Thank you!

Awesome!