Nal Hutta Bordelands 4 Player Skirmish

By robertpolson, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

Four Player Team Battle - Nal Hutta Bordelands 4 Player Skirmish (Jabba's Palace)

Neutral mission tokens represents Turrets, Rebel mission tokens represent Outposts.

Start of Each Round: for each Turret a team controls, that team chooses a space and rolls 1 green die. Each figure in each of the chosen spaces simultaneously suffers damage equal to the damage results.

End of Each Round: For each Outpost a team controls, that team gains 2 VPs.

---

Questions:

1. Do both teams rolls the green die simultaneously or the team that has the initiative token rolls first? If the team with the initiative rolls first, this can potentially kill the opponents figures and reduce the number of turrets and therefore shots that they can make.

2. How does the turret rule apply to large figures? If I choose multiple spaces occupied by the same large figure, does that figure suffer cumulative damage?

Edited by robertpolson

All figures suffer damage simultaneously, so everyone gets to shoot their turret.

Yes, you can choose multiple spaces for a large figure and they'll take multiple shots. In fact, to my reading you could choose the same space with multiple turrets and barrage a single small figure.

How would you play the grenadier command card in a situation where more than one piece of a large figure is adjacent to the chosen space of a grenade ? As far as I know the figure would still suffer damage once and not multiplied by the number of adjacent spaces it occupies.

How would you play the grenadier command card in a situation where more than one piece of a large figure is adjacent to the chosen space of a grenade ? As far as I know the figure would still suffer damage once and not multiplied by the number of adjacent spaces it occupies.

Yes that is correct

Easy way to think:

You never actually target "figures", you target "spaces" (exact wording for Grenadier is "Choose a space ...Each figure on or adj...)

So you throw the grenade. Who are the figures on or adj to that space? No the AT-ST is still one figure, not multiple figures

Ok, I don't have the Jabba expansion, yet. Can the 4 player skirmish be played with 3 people? Just wondering...

It can if you modify how the points are scored. One player can also have a larger army (80 points) and go against the other two players.

So far, I have read three different interpretations about this situation (including other forums). There is no consensus. I think that we need an official answer from FFG. What is the best way to contact them for rules clarification? Rules question form (after 30 days from Jabba's release date)? https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/contact/rules/

You should cross link your own question on BGG since you're mentioning different interpretations.

I think we're in agreement about your question #1. Quoting my own post on BGG for the most detailed answer:

The ISB Headquarters map scenario 'To Your Stations' has a similar turret control mechanic. The way it's resolved is in initiative order but damage is applied simultaneously after each player has rolled and targeted. I'm confident it works the same way here so you can't shoot out control of a turret from someone with a later initiative.

For question #2 the consensus is that you can choose the same space multiple times if you want to hit any figure, massive or not, multiple times. Quoting a1bert on BGG:

you choose a space for each roll, so it's irrelevant. You can keep choosing the same space to damage the same figure, whether it's small or large. Each figure refers to the possibility of having Companions there

Both of these statements align with what ThatJakeGuy says above, so you have a pretty good consensus I think.

Edited by nickv2002
I am not sure I can agree with this.
"for each Turret a team controls, that team chooses a space and rolls 1 green die"
Reading the above word by word, I would resolve it in the following order:
1. Choose a turret and a space where it will shoot.
2. Choose the next turret and the space where it will shoot. Continue until your last turret.
3. Roll the green die.
Thus, you are making just one roll for all the turrets that you control and not for each turret separately.

Can you please explain how do you interpret the above statement as choose and roll for each rather than choose a space for each and roll for one?
Edited by robertpolson

I am not sure I can agree with this.

"for each Turret a team controls, that team chooses a space and rolls 1 green die"

Reading the above word by word, I would resolve it in the following order:

1. Choose a turret and a space where it will shoot.

2. Choose the next turret and the space where it will shoot. Continue until your last turret.

3. Roll the green die.

Thus, you are making just one roll for all the turrets that you control and not for each turret separately.

Can you please explain how do you interpret the above statement as choose and roll for each rather than choose a space for each and roll for one?

The comma is very important here. Here's the order I get from that:

1. Choose a single turret you control

2. Choose a space

3. Roll a green die

4. Repeat 1-3 for each other turret you control that hasn't already "activated"

5. Apply damage from all turret shots simultaneously

I thought about this more and here is what I came up with:

"for each Turret a team controls, that team chooses a space and rolls 1 green die. Each figure in each of the chosen spaces simultaneously suffers damage equal to the damage results."

There is a total of 8 turrets. From a game design perspective and gameplay, If a team controls 6-8 turrets, they have to make 6-8 rolls which would be too much and would take too long to complete. Thie would also lead to gameplay that is not as enjoyable as a by the end of round two, a team can use turrets to eliminate a 12 point figure.

This is what makes the most sense to me to play this map:

" For each Turret a team controls, that team chooses a space and rolls 1 green die. " This means that all of the spaces have to be chosen prior to rolling a green die.

" Each figure in each of the chosen spaces simultaneously suffers damage equal to the damage results. Each figure in each of the chosen spaces simultaneously suffers damage equal to the damage results ." This means that one roll determines the damage for all of the turrets, which also means that a figure cannot take cumulative damage.

And points to association, comma or then points to sequence.

It would be unambigous if it were written something like:

"For each Turret a team controls, that team chooses a space, then each team rolls 1 green die. Each figure in each of the chosen spaces simultaneously suffers damage equal to the damage results."

I don't know what's the intent, you will need to ask Todd.

Edited by a1bert
On 1/10/2017 at 5:30 AM, ThatJakeGuy said:

The comma is very important here. Here's the order I get from that:

1. Choose a single turret you control

2. Choose a space

3. Roll a green die

4. Repeat 1-3 for each other turret you control that hasn't already "activated"

5. Apply damage from all turret shots simultaneously

This is correct.

"For EACH Turret a team controls, that team [1] chooses a space and [2] rolls 1 green die. Each figure in each of the chosen spaces simultaneously suffers damage equal to the damage results."

If your team controls 4 turrets, you do this 4 separate times: Choose a space, and roll a green die. Then (after the opposing team does the same with the turrets they control), figures in those spaces suffer the damage that's coming to them all at once.

If one team controls all 8 turrets, then the other team is probably either [#1] already pretty much defeated anyway, or [#2] executing some amazingly brilliant tactic that will look like utter failure to all but the most ingenious observer, until the moment it "clicks" for lesser mortals and they too can see how amazing it was. But mostly likely #1. :D

Official reply from FFG:

For each turret, the player/team that controls it chooses a space and rolls a green die. Those figures would normally suffer the damage immediately and sequentially, but since this could be used to shoot your opponent’s figures off of their own turrets, the damage is all resolved simultaneously after all players assign their turret damage. This lets both sides use their abilities and score any VPs simultaneously without over-rewarding who got to shoot first.
If multiple spaces containing the same large figure are chosen, the large figures suffers that damage cumulatively. Note that there is no restriction against choosing the same space, to pool damage into small figures, too.