New Article up about Challenges & Characters

By Batterskull, in General Discussion

Well, in the way that Renown gives power on any challenge win, perhaps insight grants a discard bonus on any challenge win. That is another possibility, but doesn't fit with the word "insight" as well. The word itself implies looking at opponent's hand or something.

Maybe you draw 1 upon winning as the attacker? Or when you declare her as an attacker?

EDIT: I also really like the "look at defender's hand" theory. That would really shake up the gameplay in 2E, especially for Melee politicking, and would add value to Dany's attack (I don't like the idea of spending 7 gold for a lady who never takes the fight to the opponent...as flavorful as that is for her). And just think of the implications. Sometimes you'd be willing to attack even though you know they can easily overcome the challenge, just so as to know what might be coming later that turn, or on the next.

Edited by MarthWMaster

She's a 5 str bicon who synergizes with the Hatchlings to gain Stealth, Renown, and Vigilance, plus whatever Insight gives.

I might play Targ during the Kingslayer event at Gen Con just so I can be the one to shout WHERE ARE MY DRAGONS when I'm trying to get the Voltron combo together.

(protip: don't play Targ out of a single core set if its eggs turn out to be focused on that one Stormborn basket.)

Sorry, forgot to specify just that, yes, she becomes pretty awesome if/when her dragons are present.

I can't think of who else would have the Stormborn trait. Is there a reason the dragons' text doesn't refer to her by name?

Edited by MarthWMaster

My first thought is that it doesn't cut off future design space by needing to be balanced around the Voltronlings. Remember that thread where we were talking about having "young wolf," "king in the north," and "lord of winterfell" versions of Robb? Maybe this is that. Some future version might have the "Mhysa" trait and not synergize with the dragons at all since they're either chained up or running loose over the countryside.

I could definitely ride with that. Referring to a card as "Stormborn Daenerys" is just as good as "Daenerys, Stormborn," and it has the plus of direct gameplay relevance. Same goes for "The Seven Catelyn." My main interest in subtitles came from a dislike of the wonkiness in naming a card by the pack or cycle it came in rather than some built-in designator. This fulfills that function IMO.

I could definitely ride with that. Referring to a card as "Stormborn Daenerys" is just as good as "Daenerys, Stormborn," and it has the plus of direct gameplay relevance. Same goes for "The Seven Catelyn." My main interest in subtitles came from a dislike of the wonkiness in naming a card by the pack or cycle it came in rather than some built-in designator. This fulfills that function IMO.

Also, you can blank "Stormborn." So slightly depowered from "Daenerys Targaryen gains _____"

Also, you can blank "Stormborn." So slightly depowered from "Daenerys Targaryen gains _____"

Or *give* the Stormborn trait, if trait manipulation still will be a thing....

I'm hoping they limit trait manipulation to specific traits that are more under control. I hope to see nothing like Rhaegar's Harp or Copper Link where you can give any trait. Stuff like that caused a lot of errata and restrictions in first edition and I'm hoping it will be under more control in second edition.

That being said, I think Grimwalker is right about why the hatchling's don't refer to her by name. It is a lot easier to design future bomb cards for her that don't have Stormborn as a trait and thus could likely be overpowered options with these hatchlings.

It's also worth noting the fact that she doesn't birth the dragons until the end of the first book. Major characters have already begun dying by that point.

Edited by MarthWMaster

Anybody else notice that Renown is now Optional? "He may gain power." No more rolling back to two minutes ago because "that happened" and the board state needs to be corrected.

Good catch, although there have been times when these sorts of preview articles get small details like that wrong. I'd wait to see the rules book to make sure that optionality is intentional.

Well, in this case, the Renown description is printed directly on the card (Eddard Stark I believe) with the word "may", so it does appear to be an intentional change.

This is a great change, I like punnitive games! If you forget, it's your problem! There's no way back lol

Insight revealed in new Stark article: win a challenge with the character, draw a card.

Also Intimidate is a Kneel effect now: when you win a challenge by X str, kneel a character of str X or less.

We also learned that Sacrifice effects put a character in the discard pile, not the dead pile.

Since Bran Stark’s ability requires you to sacrifice him, he’s certain to spend some time in your discard pile. Summer gives you a way to recur Bran Stark and use his event-canceling ability more often.

I really like all of these changes a lot!

I'll probably be playing Stark again, from the looks of things. Sansa is my favorite character in the books, followed closely by Eddard, and when you're as Nedly as I am, it's hard not to play with your favorites. The only thing I didn't especially like about this write-up was the suggestion that the Starks prize the Iron Throne. One of the house's most important themes IMO is the fact that they have no interest in the throne, that it wasn't even Robb's plan to proclaim himself King in the North, at least not at first. No, they really just want to save their kin and go home, but need power to ensure their own safety. :)

Did we see Intimidate on the new Bob?

The image looked like it may have had Intimidate on it. Although it was blurry...

Edited by Bomb

Insight revealed in new Stark article: win a challenge with the character, draw a card.

Also Intimidate is a Kneel effect now: when you win a challenge by X str, kneel a character of str X or less.

I'm glad it's to draw a card rather than having to look at the players hand which, to me, would have been too powerful.

I'm glad it's to draw a card rather than having to look at the players hand which, to me, would have been too powerful.

You could be right. I would like simple information effects to be part of the game, though. Wonder if that's in any of the factions' pie?

For an expensive card to have that as an ability, sure but in the case of having a simple keyword "Insight" the draw card feels just right. These are all shaping up really sweet though. I'm so glad they gave this card game another go like this.

It will likely bring in a lot of the players who have been drawn to the LCG model, but only became aware of it after the initial investment became so great as to mitigate its enticement. That and fans of the HBO show who also happen to be gamers. This is going to be a beast of a game.

Things like insight are a part of the reason I'm so thrilled to see this new edition come to life! The draw cap was such an inelegant solution to the problem of "drawing too many cards" and the reserve value really helps to fix an issue that to some wasn't really a problem to begin with.

I was somewhat hopeful that insight would like you look at a card in the opponent's hand, or the top card of their deck... but the way this can feasibly stack with itself will make for some really interesting choices at the end of turn when you have to pick the best five or six cards from your grip to keep.

I really have to wonder if we are going to see effects like "the prince's plans" in 2e, it seems the reserve value should have fixed the main issue with that card (having a virtually unlimited hand size)...

It will likely bring in a lot of the players who have been drawn to the LCG model, but only became aware of it after the initial investment became so great as to mitigate its enticement. That and fans of the HBO show who also happen to be gamers. This is going to be a beast of a game.

I can give you some evidence... me. I am an LCG player, love the format, but I mostly play LOTR. I had played all the games, but AGOT just seemed too difficult to get into and things like influence and timing rules and house specific keywords just turned me off. With the reboot my whole playgroup is planning on jumping in. They are fans of the show. I am not. But the game rocks and I am very excited for the restart. I just think their years of experience will help them make a very smooth well run system.

i wanted to get into it before but i am completionist and it will cost way over a k to get everything and half of it is not even available. even worse it is just too daunting with so many cards and years of expirience. this is a great thing and i cannot wait to get into it!

I was six packs away from "Pokemon Status" when they announced that rotation was coming. I'm not going to say it wasn't a gut punch, but I was getting burnt out anyway from the broken aspects of the card pool.