New Article up about Challenges & Characters

By Batterskull, in General Discussion

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/5/18/battle-for-the-throne-1/

No changes to the old rules afaik.

On a personal note, I would've wished that random discard on an intrigue challenge would've been changed to non-random.

Non-random to the loser or non-random to the winner? It's the difference between night and day so I was kind of wondering if you felt like INT challenge results needed to be stronger or weaker.

I was kinda wishing they'd drop the "STR" abbreviation and just call it Strength this time around. STR just feels too RPGey In My Humble Opinion. Your Mileage May Vary.

On a personal note, I would've wished that random discard on an intrigue challenge would've been changed to non-random.

Non-random to the loser or non-random to the winner? It's the difference between night and day so I was kind of wondering if you felt like INT challenge results needed to be stronger or weaker.

Well the loser decides which card he has to discard, that's what I meant. I always felt that the randomness was a bad game experience, especially new players got put off by that. Don't get me wrong, I do like random discard as an effect but imo it should be on powerful characters/events. As a core effect from a struggle, I just find it too powerful.

It does make some sense to get to choose, since you also choose who falls to Military claim. The difference is that the card you discard from Intrigue has nothing invested into it (mainly gold cost). There needs to be something good to counterbalance the favoritism this puts on Military challenges.

Well the loser decides which card he has to discard, that's what I meant. I always felt that the randomness was a bad game experience, especially new players got put off by that. Don't get me wrong, I do like random discard as an effect but imo it should be on powerful characters/events. As a core effect from a struggle, I just find it too powerful.

You don't think that would significantly reduce the value of an INT challenge though? I think I'd find all other challenge types to be far superior if all I was guaranteed was the discarding of the opponent's least useful cards in their hand.

Military struggles are aimed at a specific person and, with swords, rarely miss their target. Intrigue is more subtile. You never know if it is your target that gets hit or some innocent in the wrong place. The random draw leaves an intrigue challenge with an unknown outcome. You may just be a minor annoyance or take out major cards. I don't see how intrigue could not be random.

You don't think that would significantly reduce the value of an INT challenge though? I think I'd find all other challenge types to be far superior if all I was guaranteed was the discarding of the opponent's least useful cards in their hand.

This may be true but it still limits the opponents tactical options and card advantage. It's just not that obvious anymore. I found due to the randomness you could get screwed pretty hard for your planning of the next turns, if all your key cards are gone.

Though it probably makes no sense to argue about the mechanic now since the rules for 2ed are already set in stone. This just means for me that I have a hard time to reactivate my old playgroup.

Though it probably makes no sense to argue about the mechanic now since the rules for 2ed are already set in stone. This just means for me that I have a hard time to reactivate my old playgroup.

This mechanic specifically? I don't understand; if it's the same as before, and you had a playgroup before, why would you be unable to bring them together again now?

This mechanic specifically? I don't understand; if it's the same as before, and you had a playgroup before, why would you be unable to bring them together again now?

The implication appears to be that his old playgroup quit playing either in part or specifically because cards discarded becaues of lost Intrigue Challenges are chosen at random. I can't imagine why that would be the breaking point for a player, but I wouldn't presume to speak for anyone else.

The implication appears to be that his old playgroup quit playing either in part or specifically because cards discarded becaues of lost Intrigue Challenges are chosen at random. I can't imagine why that would be the breaking point for a player, but I wouldn't presume to speak for anyone else.

That's true. There were thoughts from the old players to come back if some specific things may change, including this one. Everyone has their own breaking points in a game, so I don't judge people if they dislike the strenght of a faction, card draw mechanics or in this case, the INT challenge. I will play the game nonetheless.

I very much like the whole uncertainty of the intrigue challenge. Nothing should be more unpredictable (and potentially dangerous) than sneaky machinations and gossip.

Just a quick comment that isn't directed at anyone. If INT challenges were "loser chooses", then the new Reserve taxation game mechanic would reduce their value even more.

Interesting how Eddard has a Renown explanation but other characters don't.

I wonder if perhaps Renown will be used more sparingly this time around, rather than being one of Baratheon's main themes.

I've heard that some of the newer LCGs have had reminder text on some characters and not others for keywords. It's probably on one character for each keyword in the coreset.

I've seen "Insight." on a spoiled character and it did not have reminder text. Should it be assumed it will be on another character and WITH the reminder text? I'm thinking yes.

Anybody else notice that Renown is now Optional? "He may gain power." No more rolling back to two minutes ago because "that happened" and the board state needs to be corrected.

Just a quick comment that isn't directed at anyone. If INT challenges were "loser chooses", then the new Reserve taxation game mechanic would reduce their value even more.

And if it were "winner choses", then your opponent would be looking at the cards in your hand (that in itself is no small tactical advanatage in most card games) in addition to discarding the most valuable card in your hand. So to me, randomly discarding a card looks like it's the right way to go.

Anybody else notice that Renown is now Optional? "He may gain power." No more rolling back to two minutes ago because "that happened" and the board state needs to be corrected.

Good catch, although there have been times when these sorts of preview articles get small details like that wrong. I'd wait to see the rules book to make sure that optionality is intentional.

Good catch, although there have been times when these sorts of preview articles get small details like that wrong. I'd wait to see the rules book to make sure that optionality is intentional.

Edited by Butaman551

That's true. There were thoughts from the old players to come back if some specific things may change, including this one. Everyone has their own breaking points in a game, so I don't judge people if they dislike the strenght of a faction, card draw mechanics or in this case, the INT challenge. I will play the game nonetheless.

Did this person play House Stark and refuse to adjust their ways to mitigate the damage?

What does "Insight" mean? From this thread I am beginning to think that it changes the discard after intrigue challenge from random to winner chosen.

Edited by DukeWellington

We don't know. Cheeky of them to feature the keyword without showing any cards that explain what it does.

What if it lets the attacker choose the victim of her Intrigue and Military challenges (i.e. look at opponent's hand or choose who dies, respectively)? Could be a good way of reflecting Daenerys being a young girl who knows little of war, etc.

If it's only going to work on certain challenge types, then I don't think I like it for a keyword.

Doesn't Summer give Bran Stark insight? Have we seen Bran Stark yet? Maybe his challenge icons will debunk or support those theories.