SirWilli's Workshop: Armada stuff

By SirWillibald, in Star Wars: Armada

Is there an ETA for Wave I in Germany? :D

Not that I know of, only thing I heard is "maybe June"... :(

Is there a Gladiator set of boxes or am I blind? Not complaining, just making sure I'm sane...

Not yet. Our wonderful designer is awaiting the ships to be released in his wonderful homeland of Germany.

What else can I say? Oh yes, thank you! :)

How much command dials come with the gladiator (two?) and the assault frigate (three?)? Knowing that would allow me to provide you with the GearBoxes...

Edited by SirWillibald

afaik gladiator has two and the mkII has three, posting from work so i can't check for sure :)

afaik gladiator has two and the mkII has three, posting from work so i can't check for sure :)

Sounds reasonable, think I'll do the GearBoxes in advance. Just heard from a fellow german player who spoke to someone from the german publisher recently that wave 1 will arrive in "perhaps 6-8 weeks". :blink: :unsure: :(

Very sorry that you guys have to wait that long, I'd even buy the english version, but my two little boys won't be pleased if I do so. And buying both will get me some serious trouble with my beloved wife...

Yes, Assault Frigate's is the same size as the VSD, and the GSD's is the same size as the Nebulon-B.

Already putting all that I can into these boxes.....I've only got a crapload to do with all the fighters!

So, I'm just gonna start by saying these look awesome.

What exactly are people making them out of, and where does one get it? I definitely need to whip some of these up

What exactly are people making them out of, and where does one get it? I definitely need to whip some of these up

I'm using 110lb index, which can be gotten at Office Depot for about $15 for half a ream. If your printer can't handle 110lb, 90lb works also, as some others have pointed out.

I'm using 110lb index, which can be gotten at Office Depot for about $15 for half a ream. If your printer can't handle 110lb, 90lb works also, as some others have pointed out.

I had no idea paper was so diverse lol

LOL yeah. 110lb index is the same thickness as 3"x5" index cards (hence index). I think the 90lb paper is the same as that in manilla folders.

LOL yeah. 110lb index is the same thickness as 3"x5" index cards (hence index). I think the 90lb paper is the same as that in manilla folders.

How in the world do you just happen to know that? Are you a paper salesman? Work in a paper factory?

Just a recreational paper-enthusiast?

Edited by UnfairBanana

How in the world do you just happen to know that? Are you a paper salesman? Work in a paper factory?

Got a tip a few days ago, very helpful:

http://paperworks.com/about-paper-weights

And btw, thanks for your praise a few posts above!

LOL no. I actually didn't know what the designations meant until SirWillibald asked about it a little while ago. I just googled "paper weight", and got a link to this page: http://paperworks.com/about-paper-weights

[edit: ninja'd :ph34r: ]

Edited by DarthSidious

Well-deserved. That command bridge box really sold me. I had seen your boxes for X-wing a while back, but had a decent storage system already so I didn't pay much attention to it. Oh, if I had only known it was more than just simple boxes...

I was worried about how to store this game. My VCD is sitting on my shelf right now firstly because it's just cool, and secondly because the antennae/cannon things are in danger of being murdered by the other ships in the box. I'm gonna have to find the nearest paper store!

I printed mine on 110lb card stock (It is the heaviest they print on at FedEx Office). Not super thick, but perfect for Armada.

I have made other tuckboxes on far heavier paper, but those also require scoring on the outside of the edges to allow for a good fold. More work.

SirWillis, thank you for these. I especially appreciate how clean and mostly white they are (less ink usage for home printing)!

Edited by JMichael

Well-deserved. That command bridge box really sold me. I had seen your boxes for X-wing a while back, but had a decent storage system already so I didn't pay much attention to it. Oh, if I had only known it was more than just simple boxes...

:) To be honest, they WERE nothing more than just simple boxes back then, I started with simple tuckboxes for all those X-Wing cards a while ago. Later on I continued DarkPadawan's work with the X-Wing MicroHangars and expanded it to the more recent waves. Quickly after that the GearBoxes were born and then Armada came. And this was when the real madness started. All those more elaborate boxes where originally designed for Armada not long ago (DamageDispenser, DiceBox, CommandBridge) and I've just started to adapt them for X-Wing (the dispenser and the dice box, already thinking about how to adapt the CommandBridge).

I printed mine on 110lb card stock (It is the heaviest they print on at FedEx Office). Not super thick, but perfect for Armada.

I have made other tuckboxes on far heavier paper, but those also require scoring on the outside of the edges to allow for a good fold. More work.

SirWillis, thank you for these. I especially appreciate how clean and mostly white they are (less ink usage for home printing)!

You're welcome, and the mostly white aspect was (and still is) a key design element for most of the standard boxes. The Command Bridge for example is a bit less printer friendly, but hell! it looked way better than in plain white. :)

Edited by SirWillibald

Could any type of measurements help? The GSD would be pretty easy. Not sure about the Assault Frigate as it isn't obvious how IG would rest in a box.

Sounds reasonable, think I'll do the GearBoxes in advance. Just heard from a fellow german player who spoke to someone from the german publisher recently that wave 1 will arrive in "perhaps 6-8 weeks". :blink: :unsure: :(

Very sorry that you guys have to wait that long, I'd even buy the english version, but my two little boys won't be pleased if I do so. And buying both will get me some serious trouble with my beloved wife...

If you use the same size gearbox as the Neb-B for the Gladiator; and the same size as the Victory for the AF/2, should work fine. the components between the two pairs of ships are equivalent.

I spent a good chunk of the past weekend making two of Sir Willibald's command bridges. The first was fiddly to make, but once I knew what I was doing the second one went way way faster. I got lots of kudos at our last game night .... definitely the envy of the store! I'm ready to crank more out...my wife says I need to put my kids to work on this (they're 5 and 6...)

image_11.jpg

Yes, that VSD is being held together with emergency duct tape (or whatever the Empire equivalent is)...

I spent a good chunk of the past weekend making two of Sir Willibald's command bridges. The first was fiddly to make, but once I knew what I was doing the second one went way way faster. I got lots of kudos at our last game night .... definitely the envy of the store! I'm ready to crank more out...my wife says I need to put my kids to work on this (they're 5 and 6...)

image_11.jpg

Yes, that VSD is being held together with emergency duct tape (or whatever the Empire equivalent is)...

MottiGlue

Could any type of measurements help? The GSD would be pretty easy. Not sure about the Assault Frigate as it isn't obvious how IG would rest in a box.

Hmm, tried that a while ago with some X-Wing hangars, didn't work that well. Maybe for the GSD, but I really need to hold the MkII in hands to judge how to box it up. For example, look at the outer measurements of the VSD and compare it to the VSD hangar measurements, you'll notice some differences. Took a while and about 3 or 4 prototypes to figure that out. Would have been impossible without the ship at hand.

For the GSD, if you really don't want to wait, take a caliper and give me length, width and height (rounded up to next mm) and I'll try to do a hangar.

If you use the same size gearbox as the Neb-B for the Gladiator; and the same size as the Victory for the AF/2, should work fine. the components between the two pairs of ships are equivalent.

Alright, going to do that right now, just finished an extensive update of my X-Wing stuff. Thanks!

Am I right that both ships come with 3 defense tokens?

image_11.jpg

Wow, that's great, so cool to hear you (and others) like it! And yes, first time can be fiddly, but as you say, it gets a lot easier...

Edited by SirWillibald

OK, GSD GearBox done, little problem with the MkII: Can anybody provide me with a hi-res scan (300dpi will suffice, but I can handle 600dpi as well) of the Assault Frigate box art? Can't seem to find it online at a decent resolution. Grain doesn't matter, I can clean up the image myself.

Edited by SirWillibald

I'll wait patiently :D

I managed to fit the following in 2 core set boxes, using the plastic clam shell for the wave 1 ships:

-Everything that comes with 2 core sets (one in the microhangar boxes, one not)

-2 Gladiator Class expansions

-2 Assault Frigate expansions

-1 Nebulon B expansion

-1 CR90 expansion

-3 Rebel squadron expansions

-2 Imperial squadron expansions

The squadrons are just sort of piled in wherever there is space. Meanwhile the clam shells the ships are in take up way more space than the microhangars will. I'm curious to see if it will even out. I'm also dreading unpacking it to play tonight as I haven't done so since I packed it all up.

SirWillis, I am a huge fan of these. Thank you.

I am not currently home so I can't post a pic for you. I can do so around midnight tonight (approximately 8 hrs).

On a different note, anyone else have an issue with the nebulon b and corvette boxes not being long enough? Or am i just making mistakes in the folding of the boxes?

RowdyOctopus, use the fighter boxes, you should be able to stack fighters on top of each other and fit them all in the boxes with the rest pretty easily.

The squadrons are just sort of piled in wherever there is space. Meanwhile the clam shells the ships are in take up way more space than the microhangars will. I'm curious to see if it will even out. I'm also dreading unpacking it to play tonight as I haven't done so since I packed it all up.

That's why I asked SirWillibald to make the squadron carry boxes, because I ran across the same problem. The .pdf allows you to make 4-, 6-, 8-, or 10-squadron boxes.