Looking To Start A Game Here

By jjjetplane209, in Dark Heresy Play By Mail/Email

I don't suppose this game has any openings for new characters/players? I've been trying to find a game for months but no luck!

We do actually, though you need to speak to JJJetplane before you join in. He'll help you get set up and find a suitable place for you to jump in.

Have you read the rest of the thread? We mentioned a few things, here and in the IC thread, so if you haven't already checked that out then you should. Other than that, glad you showed interest, and hopefully welcome aboard!

Certainly Sukrai. We can bring you on. We are currently in the middle of the game, so there are some restrictions on character generation. Check out the Titanomachy thread. That's where the story is taking place. Most likely you'd be restricted to Homeworld Forge World Rhodin IV. Give me some ideas on your character and we'll draft it up. Requirements as I'm sure you've read are DH2 rules as written.

For the rest of you, I'm going to pause the story for just a moment to see if we can incorporate Sukrai. Feel free to post though if you have something you want to do in the current situation.

I was thinking of a Mechanicus Heirophant. I always see the cog-boys as being the cold, impersonal types, so I thought it would be amusing to try a more social tech-priest doubling as the group's shoulder to lean on. I've read the majority of the DH2 book, all of the player creation section, and have played DH1 a couple of times now. From what I saw in this thread there wasn't a very big focus on social niceties. I make no promises on being a smooth-talking ladies man, but I do promise to do my best not to get us all shot!

Alright Sukrai. I agree the group could use some more charm. Go ahead and draft up a character and post it here. I may make some suggestions given you are joining a story in progress, but build the character as you would like it first. I don't see there being too many problems with what you've suggested.

Had it all written up last night and yet the **** thing didn't save.... Alright, here goes:

Name: Harlocke
Homeworld: Forge World
Background: Adeptus Mechanicus
Role: Heirophant

Divination: To war is human.

Description: Harlocke is a strange looking techpriest, having taken on much of the metal of the machine, yet in a way that still echoes what would otherwise be quite human. The cyber-mantle of his implants simply looks like an armored spine with a wrap-around belly plate, combining with subdermal plating in a way that mirrors a sculpted human torso quite naturally. The cranial circuitry and the electro-graft
combine at the back of his head to resemble a set of tied-back dreadlocks, which when combined with the wire-grilled visor he wears gives the impression of someone you'd find in a corner cafe rather than working in a forge. His dark skin tone is covered in tattoos similar to circuitry, numbers and lines connecting in ways that are both stylish and yet hide the inducers of his profession. Harlocke prefers to wear his red-dyed flak cloak as part of his normal wear in case something went wrong in the shop, while his sidearm stays in a synthetic leather holster stamped with the Mechanicus sigil.

Wounds: 12
Fate: 3.
Armour: 2 from subdermal plating in Arms, body, and legs, 3 from cloak in same areas for 5 in total.

WS---32

BS----32
S------33
T------38
Ag----31

Int----42 (Simple advance)
Per---30
WP---31
Fel---38 (Rolled a 2, 5, and 7, but used my one reroll and got a 6, 7, and 10 on this, lucked out. Simple advance)
Inf----36

Skills:
Awareness

Charm

Common Lore (Adeptus Mechanicus)

Deceive

Dodge (Divinitation)

Inquiry

Linguistics (Techna-Lingua)

Logic

Security

Trade Scrimshawer

Tech-Use

Talents and Traits:
Weapons Tech
( Homeworld)

Mechadendrite Use (Utility)

Mechanicus Implants

Weapon Training: SP (Career)

Double Team

Technical Knock

Aptitudes: Int / Knowledge / Offence / Fellowship / Social / Toughness / Willpower

EXP Spent: Fellowship Simple 100, Intelligence Simple 100, Charm 100, Deceive 100, Inquiry 100, Technical Knock 300, Linguistics Techna-Lingua 100, Trade Scrimshawer 100

Gear:

Hand Cannon

Mono-task Servo skull (Utility)

Imperial Robes

2 vials of sacred unguents.
Mechadendrite (Utility)

Subskin armor

Flak Cloak

Spool of wire (Acting like prayer beads)

Pressed Leaf (From the last tree of the planet, kept in a plastik wafer)

Bio: (Going to keep reading the In-game thread a little more before I start this up fully)

Edited by Sukrai

Sukrai, for the most part it looks good. However, Technical Knock uses Intelligence and Tech as its two aptitudes. You only have Intelligence, which means it would cost 300xp, not 200. You've spent 800xp on the rest, so you'll need to either adjust your xp expenditure or buy something besides Technical Knock.

Also, given the location, I'm going to push you to Peer(Ecclesiarchy) at best. That in itself is odd for a Tech-Priest to have, I'll need a tremendous background story as to why, but Peer(Adeptus Sororitas) is just one too far.

For the rest of you, does anyone want to help Jaspar out with the Priest? So far, no one has actually attempted to influence this NPC in any way. Tests are appropriate at this point.

I elected not to post as it would be more of a "status update" than progressive. If I did post, I would say that Oliver is still not entirely comfortable with his surroundings, and would think it best not to interfere with Jaspar's plan. Better to have one "spokesperson" than inconsistent stories.

Okay, scrapping Peer then, since it was mostly just a 'might be useful, might not be' choice. Took a trade instead for 100 and repriced the Knock. I'll write up the bio today and tomorrow, and have it up by tomorrow night.

Posted a test, not sure how much it'll help though as I was pretty much just parroting Jaspars comments XD

Alright, I'll admit, my muse has seemingly gotten a cold, and all I can really come up with at this point without more information about the forge-world's inner workings and day to day life would be this. Any help would be welcome!

Harlocke was born as the son of Marianna, an techpriestess, and Pietr, a recordskeeper; neither of whom were very high up in the rankings of their respective trades. He was given private lessons from his mother while running errands for various mining groups, mostly bringing parts back and forth from his mother's forge while his father kept the records of who requested what and where they came from, as well as where they were being delivered to. During these trips young Harlocke was exposed to many of the forgeworks' various personalities, from shift bosses and security officers to the various indentured servants of the facilities. The boy found it enjoyable to share stories and chat with all those he came across, carrying messages as well as parts as he made his rounds.

As he got older Harlocke became enamored with tales of the worlds that the Titans had walked upon, painting in his mind the different worlds as he though of them. It was this enthusiasm that got him to ask his parents' permission to enter the ranks of the Adeptus Mechanicus proper, rather than just being a laborer. His parents were not surprised at this, though they were surprised when they sent the boy to be tested and the results came back favorably.

The next few years were spent learning the ways of the mechanicus, memorizing by rote and and method the lessons of the Omnissiah and the mysteries of the tech-cult. Though he found himself never truly specializing in any of the various paths of the Mechanicus, not the Biologis, not the Enginseer ranks, nor the Scrutators, Harlocke did find a talent for being able to negotiate the sometimes harsh world of the Adeptus' politics, allowing him to keep from getting foisted into a less-than-stellar or menial job.

Harlocke has worked as a scrimshawer and artist in the middle forges for several years now, giving some much-needed aesthetic to the lives of those on the forge world, improving the morale and thus work efficiency of the areas he worked in by 6.389% in some cases, a detail which meant that the Mechanicus turned a blind auspex to its less formalized methods as long as it did not impede work or prove to be here-techal in nature. His works feature geometric patterns of circuitry and wiring mixed with landscapes and the occasional battlefield, which he inscribes onto various mediums for a small price, viewing his works more as an expression of his faith in the Omnissiah that he wishes to share with others rather than merely something to earn his keep with. He also likes to mix in secret messages into these works, though none of a malicious sort, simply optical illusions that take a moment to notice that speak of words of wisdom in the Mechanicus. He is far more open and talkative for one of his creed, something which endears him to the miners he often deals with rather than attempting to keep himself aloof. Faith is something to be shared after all.

I like it, its shows how not all tech-priests are emotionless machine-men. Reminds me slightly of one of the Engineseers in the Cain books, he meets a female tech-priest who when he later meets her again hasn't really changed much in her personality even though she has had a lot more extensive augmetics installed since their first meeting.

I especially like the scrimshaw / artisan side of it as I never really found a source for all these 'master crafted' weapons etc, all you really hear about is the odd name thrown in here and there, so if you eventually go down the route of trade: armourer, it'll be fun to see what kind of things you come up with and what you decorate them with. It could even open up some new plot hooks when someone see's one of your pieces somewhere XD

Good work man, hope to see you saving our asses from your tech-brethren real soon!

Not for nothing, but I think that [Trade (Scrimshawer)], rather than Trade (Armourer), is more an appropriate purchase given that backstory. As well, I find there is a disconnect between the social tech-artisan and his militant Subskin Armour. What is Harlocke's motivation behind the armour implant?

The subskin is so that he could better turn his flesh into a canvas. I saw the subskin armor as more of a replacement for his skin rather than only something underneath it, a means of making his body better able to handle having the images he makes carved into him, and I believed that I had reflected that in his description. It's likely something that he blew his life savings doing, since he can't (yet) afford to replace all his limbs with pure bionics yet. And I agree with the Scrimshawer, hence why it's there right now, though I plan on picking up Armorer later as well.

Ah, I was looking at the "EXP Spent" section that still has Trade (Armourer) listed. I find your self-canvas idea interesting. Harlocke is somewhat of a tattoo artist then? I only noticed that he works witb "various mediums", though I may have missed mention of dermal design.

Something like that yes. Murals, body art, frescos, basically whatever catches his fancy. Dermal design wasn't expressly mentioned, but it is one of his favored uses of his skill.

Alright Sukrai, fair enough, I'll make the changes to your character sheet on my end. I'll get you incorporated into the game shortly, may take a post or two, so be on the lookout.

TEST
Edited by jjjetplane209

Everybody still in? We haven't much movement the last couple of days.

Still here

Still here, I assumed we were waiting for Asym, he seemed to be taking the lead for this bit

I'm still here :D

Alright, Thanks for checking in guys. I appreciate your patience with the slow down here for a bit. We'll try to get back on track. I'll like to wait for Asym to check in, but then we'll get moving again. Still much more story to tell.

My apologies, everyone. I picked up several new responsibilities and lost a lot of the free time I used to have. A combination of being drained from those activities and being sick led me to think "I will post later on when I feel better/more alert". Until now, I did not realize my last post was back on March 23rd. I will try to make some time to post after working before the turn of the day.