Looking To Start A Game Here

By jjjetplane209, in Dark Heresy Play By Mail/Email

I wasnt suggesting a rule. I was suggesting guidelines you establish for yourself that Oliver is compelled to adhere to because of hia training. Cleaning electrical contacts in his downtime, oiling bare metal so it doesn't rust, placating the restless machine spirit with the occasional discharge. Just thematic ideas, not rules.

I did not realize that that was what you were looking for. I can incorporate something along those lines into Oliver's history. Still ironing out a few details.

Speaking of equipment, in the interests of keeping starting requisitions in DH2's Core book, may I request:

• A Combat Vest, flavoured as a torso harness with various pockets and loops
  • A Laud Hailer, though I am not quite sure how large one is
  • A Photo-visor, flavoured as unsubtle glasses (kept from previous request, discarded RT's Night Cloak)

I have a few more questions regarding the Background's granted equipment:

• 3 doses of Stimm are provided; how are the doses administered? Do they come with an Inhaler/Injector gratis?
  • As I attend to cuff targets liberally, how many sets of Manacles are an Arbitrator given? Just one set?
  • When will the next Requisition opportunity be? If I choose the Carapace Chestplate over the Enforcer Light Carapace, Oliver will be without Head, Arms, or Legs protection.
Edited by Asymptomatic

Thanks for holding on, I've had a busy few days and it's severely cut into my online and Warhammer time. Should be back to normal now though. I'll have my character profile uploaded in a couple of hours max, then we can crack on!

EDITED

Name: Dracon Sylvanto

Home world: Highborn

Background: Outcast

Role: Seeker

Description: Fit build, with fair skin and blue eyes. Hair is hacked short almost punk style and dyed into blonde and black hazard stripes from right temple to the left back of his head. Aged 30 years, and has elaborately pierced ears which are a remnant of his highborn origins.

Divination: Be a boon to your allies and a bane to your enemies.

Characteristics:

WS---34

BS----36 (reroll from 29)

S------30

T------27

Ag----33

Int----28

Per---39

WP---27

Fel---39 (+5 at 100 XP from 34)

Inf----30

Fate: 4

Wounds: 10

Aptitudes: Fellowship / Social / Intelligence / Perception / Tech / Weapon Skill / Ballistic Skill

Skills:

Sleight of Hand

Common Lore: Underworld

Deceive

Dodge

Stealth

Talents, Traits and Bonuses:

Weapon Training (Chain) / (Las)

Keen Intuition

Hatred (Psykers)

Two Weapon Wielder (Ballistic) (450xp)

Two Weapon Wielder (Melee) (450xp)

Breeding Counts: Reduce Influence loss by 1

Never Quit: Toughness Bonus +2 when calculating fatigue

Nothing Escapes My Sight: Spend 1 fate point to auto pass 1 Awareness or Inquiry per session with Per. bonus DoS.

Gear:

Laspistol (Extended Magazine [Acquisition])

Armoured Bodyglove

Injector

2 doses of Obscura

2 Blind Grenades [Acquisitions]

Small icon of the Emperor [Highborn Memento]

Tube of bright lipstick [Outcast Memento]

Character Proposal

Banished from his clan, and exiled from his world by ancient decree, Dracon became a renowned thief. In certain circles of course. Agents would approach with contracts, and he would complete them, either 'recovering' property or planting other things, Dracon made a steady healthy income for almost a decade before he took the wrong contract from the right man. A throne agent had heard of Dracon's prowess, and took it upon himself to hire the Dracon to break into his masters apartments and steal a trophy. Cocky, and more than a little lucky, Dracon accepted the contract immediately.

He broke into the apartments easily enough, disabling more than the usual amount of alarms, a shiver crossed his spine as he realised he was being watched. Light's came on, blinding Dracon, and he heard only one voice; "This is the one I was telling you about, Inquisitor." Before he could hear or see any more, everything went dark, and Dracon has been working for the Inquisition ever since.

Edited by Arkio_Gannys

Arkio_Gannys, can you post your selected aptitudes? I'll be double checking over everyone's characters tonight to make sure everything is good, then I'll start a new thread to kick off the adventure.

Asymptomatic, your equipment choices look good. Arkio got an injector specifically, so I would say you don't pick one up gratis. However, I would also argue for that particular item, a quick dissolve tablet, something under the tongue, would be sufficient. One set of manacles. Acquisitions are handled in an organic fashion in DH2.0, as they have an effect on your Subtlety. If you wish to procure something, let me know what it is you are looking to procure, and how, narratively, you would go about finding it. Roll for it, and I will insert the acquisition modifiers after the fact. That's typically how tests are done on PBP. Note that this may take some narrative time away from you. There may be some 'downtime' between scenes or adventures that would allow you to search out more in depth acquisitions, cybernetics and the like. In these cases I will declare so.

Fellowship / Social / Intelligence / Perception / Tech / Finesse / Knowledge

Sorry 'bout that, forget about that bit when I was copying it over. :/

Fellowship / Social / Intelligence / Perception / Tech / Finesse / Knowledge

Sorry 'bout that, forget about that bit when I was copying it over. :/

Highborn: Fellowship

Outcast: Social

Seeker: Fellowship , Intelligence, Perception, Social , Tech

Final Aptitudes: Fellowship, Finesse , Intelligence, Knowledge , Perception, Social, Tech

I hope I am not overstepping my boundaries, but substituted aptitudes must be Characteristic-based. I see that you listed Finesse and Knowledge. Our GM will likely point this fact out as well.

Edited by Asymptomatic

Very right, that's just the sort of thing I was planning to verify tonight.

Ah, I misunderstood the core rulebook. I thought the ones listed after the sub heading were the ones I can pick. Dangit. Hang on, I'll change it now.

I've updated the sheet now. Anything else I should see to?

I have been contemplating the specifics of Oliver's Shock Maul. How does this sound?

Anoxis-pattern "Log" Shock Maul

as a standard Shock Maul

Anoxis-pattern shock mauls are semicircular with a curved and flat side. Constructed in pairs, such shock mauls earned their nickname due to the log shape they form when placed flat side to flat side. Rather than a button or switch to press, the weapons employed a windable pommel to enable its shocking capabilities. Depending on how much they twisted the pommel, u sers could enjoy up to 30 seconds of uninterrupted power while their hands were free to perform other tasks. However, the weapons saw little use due to their odd shape and usage. While the corners of the mauls could be used to "chop" rather than "smash", users often preferred symmetrical weapons that could strike with all of their surfaces equally. As a result, more weapon depots hold these half-logs than people do. The weapons do fit neatly into boxes and other flat containers though.

Maintenance

The relatively few owners of an Anoxis-pattern "Log" suggest resting the the shock maul on its head atop a non-conductive surface. Clean and treat each component (the head, body, handle, and pommel) with strictly downward strokes in sequence, repeating the treatment for each of the components before it (thus, the head will be treated four times in total, the body thrice, etc.). At the end of the head's fourth treatment, recite the included blessing three times before activating the shock maul for two seconds. To conclude the ritual, which should be performed roughly every five days, invert the shock maul and thrust it skyward with words of thanks and praise. In times of crisis, one may omit the first three treatments until the earliest possible convenience to complete the ritual in its entirety. Some claim that this process symbolizes offering the weapon to the Emperor, drawing the taint of its victims away from His glory and into the ground, before taking up the weapon once more.

The "Anoxis-pattern" designation is based on a whim, the weapon itself basically a cricket bat. The shape allows the maul to lay flush with Oliver's back, and the buttonless shock mechanism allows Oliver to hold the maul in a number of positions. I do not believe there should be any mechanical differences, just a few narrative ones. I find the semicircular construction more elegant/intelligent than a large cylinder, while still being true to the Shock Maul's profile. The maintenance ritual was mostly improvised. Do you find this rendition agreeable?

Edited by Asymptomatic

Gentlemen, I must start with an apology, I was running late last night and didn't get to start the story (I somehow managed to poke myself in the eye and lost much motivation after getting back to 'normal'). I will endeavor to kick it off tonight, barring catastrophe at the eye doctor's office today.

Asymptomatic, your background is great. A good story, I thoroughly approve.

I would like to take a second here to discuss some expectations for the game itself and running it by post. PBF can run a little slower than a standard game due to the time lag between communications. This does not mean you cannot discuss your actions as a group, you can and should, but lengthy debates are out. Do not be afraid to take action, everyone should be aware of that, and more accepting even if its not exactly how you would have handled a situation.

When posting, please try to differentiate between in character and out of character text, preferably by tagging your out of character with [ooc] or //. This will allow us to distinguish between, for example, Asymptomatic and Oliver at a glance. Also, since tone does not come across very well in typing, its a good idea to clearly define your character's tone descriptively. An example would be "he said sarcastically", or "accompanied with a derisive snort". These will help me and others to follow the story, and may very well earn you rewards for your role playing.

When making tests, please clearly identify the intent of your test, the characteristic or skill you think best suits, and any modifier from gear or abilities you may have. I trust each of you to roll, so please roll your test and post the results along with the target score. If there are any situational modifiers, I will apply them when I respond to your post. To keep things moving, during narrative time you are allowed up to 3 tests per post. This would allow you to, for example, make an Awareness test of your surroundings, Scrutiny test of the NPC talking, and Medicae test to assess the cut on the NPC's arm. This speeds things along, but allows my responses to you to be succinct. During structured time, i.e. combat, please post your actions, roll combat rolls, and roll damage (even if you think you were unsuccessful), again in the interest of keeping things moving.

Any time you have a question, please don't hesitate to ask. Keep an eye open on this thread tonight as I will post the intro and share the link here to let you know its started.

He he, keep an eye on it XD

Gentlemen, I've checked your characters over. Need the following bits from you:

Ting - You still have your acquisitions to make. You have 3. You also still have 150 XP if you wish.

Asymptomatic - I need your decisions on the following (Inquiry or Interrogation), (Ambidextrous or Clues from the Crowd), and (Enforcer Light Carapace or Carapace Chestplate)

Arkio_Gannys - Your character is good after the corrections to your aptitudes.

Ah, I thought I forgot to mention something. Of those you listed, I would like [interrogation], [Ambidextrous], and the [Carapace Chestplate]. Did the 12 Lhosticks -> 12 bags?/cups? of Recaf swap go through?

I'll see about posting Oliver's backstory tonight, as soon as it stops sounding like a hackneyed soap opera.

What is your opinion on vehicle acquisitions? I would like to purchase a Veloxic Bike, though I'm unsure of the availability. There is an option to add an Autogun to the front of the bike, which changes the availability of the bike to scarce, so I assume the standard bike would be lower than that. My PC has Operate: Surface too, if that helps :)

Ting, I'm fine with the bike. I can't always guarantee you'll get to use it, but it gives you something unique. The availability is one of the stats above Threat in the bikes characteristics. At scarce, that still allows you two acquisitions.

Also note, I have started the Adventure Thread. Titanomachy

I hope that everyone enjoys. If at anytime you have questions or suggestions, please feel free to contact me. You're also free to continue using this thread for any long term discussion that doesn't fit in the Adventure Thread.

Ah, once you pointed it out I saw it as average, as I'm not wanting to take the auto gun on the front. I'd like to take an Auspex (handheld if that's okay?) and I was hoping I could create a custom item if you don't have any objections. I was hoping to get a quick release wheel lock for the rear wheel of the bike. Basically it would clamp round the back wheel, to secure it against opportunistic thieves, but could be released with a quick 5 digit pin on a keypad between the two clamping arms. Once entered with a code, the arms spring off and I can be away. If not, that's cool, I can pick other stuff.

Also, I'm cool with not always being able to use it, but when we need it, it'll make a cool story point, plus it'll be great for picking up chicks.

The auspex is fine. Since you are taking the bike without the Autogun, I'd be fine with you have a custom lock on it without it eating an acquisition. Essentially, trading one piece of bike hardware for another, while keeping the availability at Scarce. That would leave you with one more.

Now, if you wanted to try and incorporate an explosive or something like that into the lock, that would be a different story.

The arms were intended to be spring loaded on a hinge that can be reset. Oooooh more goodies! A standard laspistol please (I assume it comes with a basic holster but if not I can just waistband it and hope for the best till I get one. ) :)

Asymptomatic, Just noticed your post. You did indeed get Recaf instead of Lho sticks at a one for one exchange. Thanks for putting up your choices, I'll update my copy of your sheet.

Is the forge world you're using canon? Or homebrew? Was just hoping to find out a little before I post. If it is home brew, is it a munitions based forgeworld? Vehicles? What is the main transport method, Huge grav-trains, megahighways? That kind of thing? What are the area not devoted to the manufactorums like? Sprawling low rise housing or micro hives housing a few hundred thousand or so?

EDIT : Sorry, shouldn't have skimmed, I see Promethean is the primary export. The other questions stand though

Edited by Arkio_Gannys

It's semi-cannon, if thats a thing. A tiny blurb under the forgeworld homeworld in character creation. The primary export is promethium, and other ores/minerals. The manufactorums are churning out a variety of goods, but flame weapons are a high priority because of the abundance of pertinent materials. The defining feature of the skyline is smokestacks. The majority of the surface is uninhabitable, but squalid slums surround the manufactorums on the surface.

Arkio, I'm intentionally leaving the description of the surface a little bit vague so you can construct what you feel is necessary to make your ingress since each of you has very different skills. I'm not going to be offended if you take some liberty with the surface world.

Edited by jjjetplane209

Asymptomatic, Could you upload a finalised copy of your sheet please? I've been looking through the posts and can see the majority of your character details on here, but cant see anything about your finalised equipment, skills and characteristics. I assume jjjet has all your deets down somewhere, it just helps me to know what the people around me look like and carry so I don't get it wrong. Plus, Arkio and I both have completed sheets up so it'll complete the set XD

I'm not trying to be funny, if you dont want to or cba I can understand that, it'd just be handy.