Looking To Start A Game Here

By jjjetplane209, in Dark Heresy Play By Mail/Email

Player positions have been fulfilled at this time, but please check back as additional spots may open in the future.

Hello all. I'll start by saying I would like to get a game going here, since FF has been so kind as to provide a spot for us to do just that. Frosty71 proved it is possible, and seemed to stir up some interest, but noone else has capitalized on it. I thought I might see if I could get a regular thing going, provided enough people are willing.

About me, I'm an avid fan of the 40K universe. I run a Black Crusade game that has done quite well, and I've tried my hand at Only War using the Siege of Vraks as a setting, which met with much excitement (and many executions by the comissariat) before fading out due to schedule conflicts. I own the cores of all the 40K RPGs, and the complete Black Crusade line. I've also partipated as a player in a DH 2.0 PBF over at rpggeek where we ran the intro scenario found in the DH 2.0 core. I'm a very thorough, detail oriented GM, and I try very hard to establish the setting. This can sometimes mean I am long winded, but I will endeavor to keep that to a tolerable level. I am also very open to critiques, as more than anything I would like to provide an entertaining game.

All that said, I understand that PBF is not for everyone. I found my experience with it to be a mostly positive one, but it certainly has its drawbacks. I'm looking for at least 3 players, no more than 5, who are willing to give it a go with me. I have not run a PBF before, so I will not promise the world, but I will promise to try my very best to make it good.

My intent would be to run an adventure of my own design, as I'm sure many people are familiar with Dark Pursuits by now. If you're interested, please post here. Thanks for taking the time to read.

Edited by jjjetplane209

I'd love to join. What kind of power level are you expecting from your players?

Glad to hear you are interested Asymptomatic. I take it by power level you mean the starting experience, if not let me know. My intention was to have these be new build, low level acolytes. An opening adventure, just not Dark Pursuits. I'm willing to stretch it just a bit and provide a small XP boost if that is the consensus of the group, but emphasis on small.

This would allow me to get to know you the players, and build the image of my Inquisitor from the ground up. I have every intention of making this an ongoing thing as long as there are players willing to continue, so character development will mean something as opposed to a one off (and the accompanying hassle of building a character for just one session). That is perhaps one of the greatest dissapointments of my own PBF experience, that the game died out after running Dark Pursuits, and before I could sink my teeth into my own character.

When I say "power level", I'm mostly thinking of the point where end-game goodies/baddies are introduced. A high power game would bring power armour, boltguns, and other strong player-obtainables fairly early on, with logistical concerns (e.g., ammo) largely or completely waived; a sandbox-y casual game. Conversely, a low power game would place extra emphasis on mortality and resource management; a grim/gritty game.

I have no issues with commitment, though I am an inexperienced player. Do you have some chargen guidelines available, perchance? What books will you be employing for this pending game?

Ah, grim/gritty is my general preference in all 40K games. I'm not planning a monodominant inquisitor who's mobilizing regiments of imperial guard for purges. I certainly plan to keep track of ammo, I'm even a fan of requiring players to actively reload after an encounter, or start the next one without a full clip, though this is open to discussion. So, low power by your description. Particularly in the case of DH where I feel the emphasis is on investigation and social encounters, and Acolytes using their wit to overcome circumstances as opposed to brute strength.

RAW Chargen per DH 2.0, as I haven't had enough experience with it myself to doctor it. I would like to give it a try full up, and make judgements after the fact. I'm using everything at my disposal for inspiration. So, all 40K cores (including DH 1.0), the entire BC line, DH Lathe worlds, DH Inquisitor's Handbook, RT Battlefleet Koronus, DW Rites of Battle, and perhaps the new DH 2.0 Enemies Within whenever it releases (assuming there is sufficient interest to start a game). I will most likely be borrowing some of the rules for social encounters from BC, as I truly like the rules from Tome of Excess for Social Conflict, substituting Influence for Infamy, with an appropriate reduction in Subtlety for the Influence you use. Tome of Blood also has some great rules for mass combat, that could come in handy if ever you do decide to mobilize the faithful.

I'll be happy to walk through Chargen for players who don't have the book, as having the books I have mentioned is definitely not a requirement. I'm also not opposed to purchasing new books as required if someone has a particular character development in mind that isn't supported by what I've listed.

Understood. Is it alright if I start drumming up a character then? Are there any player-obtainables that are absolutely off the table (e.g., Untouchable, MIU Weapon Interface)? How should I (or other players) "roll" for Characteristics and the like?

Please feel free to start creating a character. I, personally, prefer rolling for stats, as opposed to assigned values. I tend to find that I come up with combinations I would not have considered before, and that it forces me out of my comfort zone of a particular archetype.

There are no items off the table, just stick to RAW and I'll be happy. Note an MIU has an availability of Rare, so would not be a legal acquisition for starting equipment since you are limited to Scarce items or better. Do keep in mind that the Untouchable elite advance tends to preclude psyker characters in the group since the two don't mix well. I don't have a preference for one over the other, and I'm certainly not forbidding it, just something to think about.

EDIT: Just remembered the Replace the Weak Flesh rule of Adeptus Mechanicus, which would indeed make the MIU a legal choice, so there is that. I would not allow the Adeptus Administratum background's Master of Paperwork to acquire it though, as I make a distinction between items and cybernetics.

Edited by jjjetplane209

Ah, Untouchables and the MIU Weapon Interface serve as examples of (or at least what I consider to be) GM headache; I specifically try to avoid things like them. If I may, a few more inquiries:

• How will you address 1 use/session mechanics, such as Fate Point refreshes?
  • How will the [Grapnel & Line] item work? Half Action to fire and pull some distance? I thought I might try combining it with the Desperado's [Move and Shoot]. A Spiderman-esque concept.
  • May I ask for player-obtainables from outside the books you listed? There are a few "modest" items from {Only War} and {DH - The Radical's Handbook}, for example, that I'm interested in.

I accept the potential for headache, and will roll with it as it comes up.

As for 1 use/session mechanics, I will attempt to determine what constitutes a good session length based on events and announce a refresh for those types of things. Common sense will have to apply.

I would count the Grapnel and Line as a Standard Attack to fire (usual attack modifiers apply during a combat situation), given striking an enemy and placing your grapnel line in an approximate region would require essentially the same level of effort. You would be allowed to combine this with the Move and Shoot rule, but that would be the one attack you are allowed each round modified by standard rules. I would allow 2m of traverse the round you fired if firing was the first thing you did, no traverse if it was the last. 5m of traverse each round after the fact. You would also likely suffer a penalty to BS tests made while hauling yourself in, though this would be situational.

As for player obtainables, I have the Only War book so just let me know what you are thinking. For the Radical's Handbook, you'll have to tell me what it is, what it does, and the listed availability. In either case, I may adjust the availability in the Askellon Sector. I might also say "no" as the Inquisitor, as I have a concept of his methods.

Table 3–16: Weapon Upgrades

Name Weight Availability

Auxiliary Shotgun +2.0 kg Scarce

Chain Attachment +3 kg Scarce

Extended Magazine +3 kg Scarce

Gun Carriage +25 kg Common

Gun Shield +15 kg Common

Grapnel Mounting +2 kg Scarce

Spoor Targeter + 0.5 kg Very Rare

Symbol of Sanctity + 0.2 kg Scarce

Grapnel M ounting

Grapnels are an incredibly useful tool, allowing soldiers to climb sheer surfaces or descend long drops safely, alongside countless other uses on the battlefild. Some Guardsmen take this to heart, even mounting them on their weapons so as not to have to carry a separate device.

A weapon with a grapnel mounting counts as being a grapnel and line (see page 201 of the O nly W ar Core

Rulebook) in addition to being a weapon.

Upgrades: Any Basic or Pistol weapon.

-Only War - Hammer of the Emperor 121 on the Grapnel Mounting Upgrade

S pider P ads

These gloves, vambraces, and greaves strap securely over clothing or armour and supply an adhesive surface that greatly aids climbing in most circumstances. Pads at the knees, toes, forearms and hands secrete a tacky substance that sticks to many surfaces. They provide a +30 bonus to Climb Tests on materials such as rockcrete, ouslite, or other fairly regular surfaces. The bonus is reduced to +10 when climbing on scree, talus, or similar substance.

Table 4-7: Gear

Name Weight Cost Availability

Privacy Field 10 kg 1250 Rare

Line Ascender 1 kg 100 Scarce

Spider Pads 1 kg 150 Scarce

Gil Filter 0.5 kg 100 Scarce

Holo Visor 0.5 kg 250 Rare

Vox Tracker 6 kg 450 Sacrce

Intrusion Spirit 0.5 kg 500 Very Rare

Tracking Device 0.5 kg 200 Scarce

Vox Bug n/a 500 Rare

Pict Fly n/a 1000 Rare

-Dark Heresy - The Radical's Handbook 158 on Spider Pads Gear

These would be the particular toys I'm considering for a slippery mobile-type character. Still nudging around to see if it is a concept I can commit to, assuming it's not too crazy for your game. Maybe someone else can verify that I didn't just make these items up.

Say I take a Half Move to trigger [Move and Shoot], hooking to some tree in the distance. Can you run me through what happens and what my subsequent options are? What about starting a fresh turn with a grapnel line already established?

What kind of movement system are you enforcing? For reference, here is a blog post that outlines the four types of movement that I know. I'm not sure if grids will be used or not for this game, but I would like to set my expectations accordingly.

I do hope I'm not bothering you with my questions, and if so, I apologize. Like you, I wish to be in for the long haul, so I would like to make sure my endgame fantasies are plausible.

Gear

I'm fine with the Grapnel Line, though it would force your weapon's barrel to be in a locked position while climbing. It would also have a pretty severe reload.

The Spider Pads I would most likely rule at a more difficult availability. You will need to find a specific location in which tools like that would be useful in order to acquire. I would be willing to make an allowance based on your characters origin story if matched, but it should be a good story.

Move and Shoot

If you take a Half Action move at the start of your turn it would go like this:

Half Move

Standard Attack as a Free Action courtesy of Move and Shoot with the corresponding BS test

Say you hook the tree and start reeling yourself in.

Half Action of your choosing to round out your turn.

I would rule that the reel of the grapnel is automatic, so during that second half action you would ascend 2m. You should be cautious of this as your second half action may incur some penalties for the added stress of moving on the grapnel. You might also run into things if you aren't using that second Half Action to navigate your ascent. These would be conditional things based on the particular scenario.

Thereafter, you would be allowed to ascend 5m a turn, again automatic, and perform your turn as normal. Same warnings apply here as above.

If you take a Half Action, say per a skill, then perform a Half Action move as the second half of your turn, it would go like this:

Half Action

Half Action Move

Standard Attack as a Free Action courtesy of Move and Shoot with the corresponding BS test

Say you hook the tree, but you must wait until next turn to start reeling yourself in at the 5m a round.

Movement

I'm not sure I will implement a grid in a PBF. A bit difficult in situations like this. I'm more likely to use an abstract method as per WHFRP 3rd edition. In this case, every round I would provide you a descriptor of "Long", "Medium", "Short", "Point Blank" or "Melee", or any other such descriptor that is appropriate. Intervening cover/obstacles will be narratively described. A successful awareness test might clue you in on an actual distance value.

If I do use a grid, it will mimic the movement scale used by Dust Tactics as I am quite happy with that system. It most closely resembles the first system on your link where diagnols are not allowed, however the first diagnol is. Something like this: (cross fingers the spacing holds)

3 2 2 2 3

2 1 1 1 2

2 1 X 1 2

2 1 1 1 2

3 2 2 2 3

Edited by jjjetplane209

And don't worry about questions, I'm more than happy to answer.

I just want to assure other readers we are still looking for 2 more players at least. So feel free to respond if interested.

I will likely use this thread to recruit, hash out rules as we are doing, and build characters. As long as the admin don't mind, I would start a new thread with the actual story.

Edited by jjjetplane209

Oh oh! Me! Me! Please? I spent 6 years on Gaia Online roleplaying in the forums there, GM'd a few and in the last four years or so, have been a GM for all of FFG's 40K rp's except Black Crusade, where I currently play a Heretek with a laser tail XD. I have a copy of the Rulebook, and can create a character any time. Been hoping a spot would open up here since I found out about it a few days ago.

Also, call me Ting, or Tinger as my username is a bit of a mouthful. :)

"When" is the first mission taking place? Are the Acolytes we (are going to) play as already an established warband, or maybe you're going for an origin story vibe? I may reassess my character concepts depending on where they stand in life.

Are photonic cells to recharge electronics (specifically las charge packs) via sunlight something I can acquire? Logistical issues are the main reason I avoid using ranged weapons. Some Gear items are fluffed to have such photonic cells, so I was wondering if it'd be too much of a stretch to put them elsewhere. If not, I am most likely going to commit to tried-and-true melee. My brain is hardwired to not use consumables.

Ting, welcome. Feel free to start a character. If you have any questions, just let me know.

Asymptomatic, I'm looking for something in between. Build an Acolyte cell from previously identified hopefuls. As far as photonic cells, I'm going to rule them out. I won't contradict fluff, but the crossover is out.

In between, then? Hmm. Well, I'll deal with the conclusion of my character's backstory when I actually settle on a character.

Aye, the photonic cell ruling is understandable. I am uncomfortable with limited ammunition, but that's a personal issue.

I hope I can ask this without offending, but how "hard-set" are the grants listed for the chargen options? There are definitely some combinations with less than ideal grants (e.g., the Feral Desperado having increased Strength that doesn't scale particularly well with Pistols, an Untouchable with a Fellowship/Social Aptitude, an Adeptus Mechanicus character with no melee provisions). Again, personal philosophy makes it hard for me to accept options I won't explicitly benefit from. Not every Feral Worlder is Strong and Tough, or every Hive Worlder Agile and Friendly, at least from a certain perspective. I can understand if the grants are absolute; I'll just have to build my characters somewhat differently. As it stands, an Imperial Guard character is forced to pick up additional Weapon Training and has extra weapons he's not going to use. Sorry if I sound selfish.

Sorry, aptitudes and the like stay as written. You're going to have to choose between min-maxing and telling a good story. I will say, I much prefer a good story to several degrees of success on a roll that you make for one piece of a puzzle.

Understandable, I apologize for the trouble. The character I am entertaining now is a Voidborn-Arbites-Chirurgeon specifically to defy the book's recommended combinations. My endgame build is support-aligned (where the other axises are combat and social), has a melee focus (as opposed to a gun or psychic focus), and gives priority to Intelligence, Willpower, and Toughness (and their derived Skills). To this end, I would like to ask a few more questions:

• What is your stance on Unsanctioned Psykers?
  • If a granted item is similar, would you consider allowing me to swap it with something similar within the same Availability range? (e.g., Arbites' 12 Lho-sticks -> 12 bags?/cans? of Recaf)
  • How do you feel about the "Trust in your fear" Divination (+5 Per, gain a Phobia)? My character's current backstory invokes pyrophobia, a relevant and readily present fear that I trust can generate interesting scenarios. This bullet ties into the one above, where a pyrophobic is highly unlikely to possess lho-sticks but could use a flameless heating element for warming beverages.

EDIT: Found the point-buy method I remember. Or at least it's close enough. Don't know how I didn't think of Googling "Dark Heresy point buy" earlier:

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?384828-Dark-Heresy-Point-Buy-chargen

Edited by Asymptomatic

I'm fine with unsanctioned psykers, again I will accept the headache it might cause. Just understand, that is a huge choice to make and comes with a number of repercussions, both mechanically and narratively.

I would allow such a minor exchange of equipment as the lho sticks for recaf, so long as it fits the story.

I'm fine with the divination, but divinations are intended to be rolled, not selected. From the definition of divination:

Divination is the attempt to gain insight into a question or situation by way of an occultic, standardized process or ritual.

Roll them bones.

While I do prefer dice rolling for stats, it is an option to assign points. My intent is to give the rules a chance to speak for themselves before I consider altering them. So, its either roll, or allocate points per pg. 31 of the rules. That is a decision that should be made by the group as a whole though, since allocated point characters are statistically stronger than rolled ones and I don't like mixed groups in that regard. If other players vote for assigned points, then I will consent.

NOTE: Still looking for players. So all you readers, consider joining.

This particular character has already been "rolled", believe it or not, save for the Characteristics that I'm still on the fence on. I even included some of the elements from the provided Character Creation Supplement for fun. My character has been constructed thusly:

Core Book

Home World: Voidborn 1

Background: Adeptus Arbites 2

Role : Chirurgeon 3

Granted Aptitudes: Defence 2 , Fieldcraft 3 , Intelligence 1 , Intelligence 3 , Knowledge 3 , Strength 3 , Toughness 3

Revised Aptitudes: Defence, Fieldcraft, Intelligence, Knowledge, Strength, Toughness, Willpower

Divination: 05 - Trust in your fear. Leaning towards pyrophobia since it is a fear that can be naturally included in the narrative.

Starting Item Requests: Photo-visor [DH2 - Core 171, Scarce], Night Cloak [RT - Core 140, Average]. These items would be related to this character's duties as an Arbites member, such as for conducting nighttime operations.

Character Creation Supplement

Build: 93 - Spindly (2.10m/75kg)

Colouration (Skin): 72 - Greyish

Colouration (Hair): 11 - Red

Colouration (Eyes): 18 - Watery Blue

Physical Quirk: 86 - Minor Limp

Homeworld Superstition: 30 - Welcoming Hatches

Home World Memento: 48 - Squeezebox (essentially an accordion)

Background Memento: 33 - Bent Key, 64 - Old Nameplate

Tentative Character Fluff

Currently, he goes by the name "Oliver Yu", a name he prefers over his previous one. The old nameplate bears his birth name "Alice Older". While he is certainly tall, his left leg is noticeably shorter than his right (by a centimeter or two). As Oliver's gait is normally lopsided if he takes long strides, he habitually slouches or pads the sole of his left boot to mask this limp. Most times, he acts the way he looks: aloof and lethargic. His beady blue eyes are more often than not hidden behind tinted glasses or hair. The untamed red mane on his head betrays his otherwise stoic image.

I'm still ironing out the other details, like his actual past, but this is the direction I want to go with him.

Edited by Asymptomatic

Looks fair A. now to see if anyone else picks up.

[[Edited and deleted due to reposting later on]]

Edited by ciaphascainfan1990

Ting, I gotta ask. What happened to your Perception? 3d10, pick the two highest and you got 25? Just a bad roll?

Roll for Influence too. There are 10 stats now.

Also, you should have weapon training Las instead of SP, unless thats what you are spending points on. Should have a lasgun instead of an autogun as well, unless you are using an acquisition for that.

Ah, I was looking all through the book for how to determine Influence. I assumed that it would be a group stat, like the requisition in OW. Couldn't find it but I was probably just being daft and missed it.

Sorry for the SP/Las mess up, my Only War group are in a regiment that uses autoguns instead of Lasguns and I was showing off my characters and regiment sheet to a guy I'm lending my OW Rulebook to. Must have just gotten mixed up. I would like to swap to those choices instead of the standard if you don't mind, but if you'd rather I stuck with Las that's cool.

Also, I must have misunderstood what you meant in the earlier posts, I thought we were assigning the 60 points to the starting stat of 25, so I did that. My exp and points assignment went as follows:

WS 25 (+3) - 28

BS 25 (+13) (+5 [250 XP]) - 43

S 25 (+7) (+5 [100 XP]) - 37

T 25 (+8) - 33

Ag 30 (+8) - 38

Int 25 (+6) - 31

Per 20 (+5) - 25

WP 20 (+4) - 24

Fel 25 (+6) - 31

Stealth level 1 [450 XP]

Interrogate level 1 [150 XP]

[50 XP] left spare.

Rolling 20 + 3d10 (-lowest) for Influence gives me 37.

My character sheet in hand has been updated with Inf now, and I'll make sure my sheet is right in the other post.

If I've done anything wrong or if this guy needs scrapping and starting again to roll all is okay by me, just lemme know :)

My preference is rolled stats, which is what I had assumed you did, not assigned. Its seems that both you and A prefer assigned, so I'll go with the flow. If thats the case though, your Influence will be 25 since you've used all your points on other stats.

Stealth will only cost you 200 points instead of 450. (pg 80, 1 matching aptitude, and you are purchasing Known)

Interrogation however will cost you 300 instead of 150. (pg 80, 0 matching aptitudes, and you are purchasing Known)

That would leave you with 150 XP left over now.

As for the Autoguns, I would prefer you stuck with lasguns. This is not because I see you gaining any benefit from using an autogun over a lasgun, you don't, but Weapon Training (SP) comes with a larger list of procurable weapons that you could derive an advantage from after your acquisitions. I'm not saying you can't ever have Weapon Training SP, just that you'll have to purchase it. The imperial guard's weapon of choice is the lasgun, and that is what we train all our grunts in. It would be very out of place for an IG NOT to know how to use a las weapon...