Sorastro's Painting

By Sorastro, in Imperial Assault Painting and Modification

Is it just me or are the techniques really ramping up as we go?

I love how each new tutorial teaches something new. Keeps the challenge fresh.

As I'm totally new to painting and just following these tutorial videos I'm actually excited for the Storm Trooper, Heavy Storm Trooper and Storm Trooper Commander coming out.

The reason being I already think if I was to redo my Storm Troopers they'd look all the better for it. In fact, if I could repeat most of my minis they'd look better.

After this video series I'll need to tackle some minis from another game to see if I can come up with my own colour schemes. I suspect that will be the hardest part.

SO with you on that Muz...

I'm already planning how to work over my stormies after I've honed my skills on all the other minis.

I know.... I'm nuts :D

Quick question about storing them. As of yet I don't have a good storage for figures (Because I'm stuck on the idea of everything fitting in the box). For Heroclix I used the tackle box craft box dividers.

Anyway main question so the first two words aren't a lie. When I had a Royal Guard and a Storm Trooper (Done with 'Ardcoat on the ST) in a bag together some Red Sunz came off on the ST (I assume from the tackiness of 'Ardcoat) How do I avoid this?

Hi fellow painters and thanks for all the recent comments!

I must say I'm enjoying the speculation surrounding the order of the hero videos ^_^

I totally agree that the IA minis give us a lovely range of "learning opportunites"! When it comes to picking colors all you need is some old minis to try ideas out on; For each video I've made there's an old Warhammer dwarf or space marine with a load of different base/layer/wash combinations on it (and a couple of very black elves with glowing red spears!).

When it comes to storing and transporting minis I don't have much advice to offer as mine just live in a black display cabinet and don't travel, but I believe there are some good foam-core solutions out there?

I'll be making a tentative start on planning for the first hero tonight but Mrs Sorastro has a big birthday coming up which might hamper my video-making duties this week :P

Thanks so much! Happy birthday to Mrs. Sorastro.

The 'Ardcoat is a bit sticky even after dried. Is there a way to remove the sticky feel but keep the gloss?

The 'Ardcoat is a bit sticky even after dried. Is there a way to remove the sticky feel but keep the gloss?

Thanks! Regarding the 'Ardcoat I haven't actually had that issue.. Could it possibly be humidity related!?

Thanks! Regarding the 'Ardcoat I haven't actually had that issue.. Could it possibly be humidity related!?

That Could very well be it. Thanks!

Varnish is often a pain. With matte varnish you risk frosting; with gloss, stickyness. If you're in high humidity, gloss will take a lot longer to properly set. Diluting gloss varnish can also make it take longer to fully set, as will applying a thick coat. Give it 24-48 hours and see how it goes - or hit it with a hairdryer for a while.

If all else fails and its still sticky, you should be able to give it a thin coat of matte varnish, let that dry, then give the gloss varnish a good shake and do as thin a coat as you can manage to see if that sets better, ideally in a warm area.

My Trandoshan Hunters following Sorastro's guide with some little twists:

Skins from left to right: Biel tan over Waargh flesh, Biel tan over Averland sunset, Camoshade over Averland sunset, Camoshade over Waargh flesh.

People liked the 2nd one the best.

White camo was really a good idea! It looks awesome.

Thanks Sorastro :)

11194608_10153453448923243_2726743127610

I just finished painting two of my royal guards. And I've done the probe droids and based on that, I painted IG-88 much the same way. I just used a pure Agrax Earthshade on the second wash instead of the Nuln Oil-Agrax Earthshade mix. It actually looks more coppery in real life than in this photo. Ignore the firemen, they're obsolete figures from a boardgame and I use them for testing paints. Oh, and the probe droid with red rim is painted with Drakenhof Nightshade-Nuln Oil mix.

Thanks again, Sorastro for the excellent tutorial videos. They made all of these possible and got me a new hobby besides playing boardgames.

ig-88v2.jpg

Well I haven't posted my results in a bit, so here goes...

(finished my officers last night)

*EDIT* seems my pic file for my officers is too big, will compress and post later as I gotta run to work now.

Eep, just about to start the Nexu and sent the missus to the shop with a list of paints. The store gave her 'Screaming Bell' as opposed to 'Screaming Skull'.

I hope we'll be using that in future minis! I think it's a metallic copper colour.

Eep, just about to start the Nexu and sent the missus to the shop with a list of paints. The store gave her 'Screaming Bell' as opposed to 'Screaming Skull'.

I hope we'll be using that in future minis! I think it's a metallic copper colour.

hmm, possibly Threepio? (highlights and such)

Edited by Jerbiwan

hmm, possibly Threepio? (highlights and such)

Someone done an IG-88 with a copper wire so I'm sure I'll make it work. If not I've got plenty of other games where a lick of paint wouldn't hurt!

Finally realized why I couldn't post this, but here's my latest completion...

Finally realized why I couldn't post this, but here's my latest completion... attachicon.gif WP_20150508_06_20_51_Pro.jpg

Looks great! I would suggest the tiny spots of red and blue on the badge for the finishing touch.

Speaking of, here's my work in progress from this afternoon. Almost finished. I just need to varnish, apply some 'Ardcoat' then I'll have a little fun with some 'Blood for the Blood God'.

2u4nhy1.jpg

Edit:

I forgot to say but I decided to try my hand at an original colour scheme for the second one as part of my learning. I based with 'Celestra Grey', layered with 'Eshin Grey' and then drybrushed with 'Longbeard Grey'.

Edited by Muz333

oh man Muz, those look HOT! I have a ways to go to catch up, but enjoying the process nonetheless. Agreed on the badges. Apparently the hobby stores in my area can't stock the Caledor Sky I need for the blue, so the badges wait for now...

Speaking of, here's my work in progress from this afternoon. Almost finished. I just need to varnish, apply some 'Ardcoat' then I'll have a little fun with some 'Blood for the Blood God'.

Edit:

I forgot to say but I decided to try my hand at an original colour scheme for the second one as part of my learning. I based with 'Celestra Grey', layered with 'Eshin Grey' and then drybrushed with 'Longbeard Grey'.

Wow Muzz they look absolutely outstanding!

Edit:

Wow Muzz they look absolutely outstanding!

A poor imitation of your master pieces. Not forgetting I'd have never even attempted painting if not for your wonderful tutorials. I hope you can keep them up. They must be a lot of work to create but you have managed to introduce so many new members to the hobby which I hope makes all that work rewarding. Once again thank you for the tutorials.

Finally painted the first nexu, great tips from sorastro and incredibly a lot of different technoques used here.

FullSizeRender-4.jpg

FullSizeRender-3.jpg

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

A little experiment with the 'Blood for the Blood God' technical paint by citadel.

jqhzj8.jpg

Edited by Muz333

Wow some more outstanding nexu there Juanpanb!

Nice touch with the blood too Muzz! (I considered adding blood but thought I'd keep things a little more child friendly as I know some younger kids like to watch the Star Wars videos, but I think the Blood For The Blood God gives a nice easy and effective blood effect though.)

So what are the odds of you getting one of the hero video's done for the weekend? It is my birthday Saturday and that sure would make a lovely present! ;) :D

So what are the odds of you getting one of the hero video's done for the weekend? It is my birthday Saturday and that sure would make a lovely present! ;) :D

Happy birthday for Saturday! I wish I could give you another video for it but I'm still some way off finishing the first hero video I'm afraid. I'm having a tiring couple of weeks (mostly because of work) so have to just do a little each night. A careless mistake with a single-figure hero due to fatigue would be a real pain!

However I have finished running tests and working out the main colors and techniques for the first two heroes, and done all of the prep and spraying for the whole lot to save time later (including the Wave 1 figures). I've also begun filming the first hero. So things are moving steadily but surely. I'll post another update once I'm into the editing phase of the first hero video.

On a side note I must once again thank everyone for the support shown for these videos, and for your patience whilst waiting for each one. The channel recently passed the 5000 subscriber mark, which is something considering I only had around 800 in December (before the first IA video).

Right I'm going to get back to filming! Happy birthday again :)

If you could paint the heroes not used in my campaign first, that'd be great. I don't want those Rebels having painted figures and thinking they're as good as the Empire now!

Well, I know its not an opinion shared by many, but all extra time does is allow me to catch up! Also, Sorastro you are doing such a great job teaching us that we are willing to wait as long as it takes. Thanks again for all the work you are putting into these tutorials. :)