Soooo what else do ya all play?

By Gadge, in X-Wing Off-Topic

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I actually like that concept. I don't really care for original Risk, and I just thought RIsk Legacy was just a collector's edition :blink: . Hmm... looks like something else I'll need to add to the ever growing list of games.

How long to finish the "campaign", like 10 to 15 game sessions?

The sci fi risk where some countries are randomly 'nuked' and uninhabitable but there are undersea and moon colonies is ace.

East Coast, get a copy of 'dungeonquest' if you can, either the GW original or the FFG remake

Its a fantastic game that takes about 45 mins to play tops. Its a totally differnet game every time (random tiles) and your character has about a 16 per cent chance of surviving a game its brutal.

At parties im playing a lot of cards against humanity these days... cant remember if i mentioned that as a game i like

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I actually like that concept. I don't really care for original Risk, and I just thought RIsk Legacy was just a collector's edition :blink: . Hmm... looks like something else I'll need to add to the ever growing list of games.

How long to finish the "campaign", like 10 to 15 game sessions?

15 games, but it plays quicker than regular RISK; so we often played two or 3 games in a row.

You don't have to conquer the whole world to win, just get enough victory points (5) and you get those by trading in cards or knocking out your oponent's HQ. One insane game came down to this: Me: controls one country (with Equestria on it :D )

My oponent controls the rest of the world , but i had stockpiled 18 units in my capital and made an extremely unlikely (to succeed) breakout trough his lines and took out his HQ.

The sci fi risk where some countries are randomly 'nuked' and uninhabitable but there are undersea and moon colonies is ace.

East Coast, get a copy of 'dungeonquest' if you can, either the GW original or the FFG remake

Its a fantastic game that takes about 45 mins to play tops. Its a totally differnet game every time (random tiles) and your character has about a 16 per cent chance of surviving a game its brutal.

At parties im playing a lot of cards against humanity these days... cant remember if i mentioned that as a game i like

Have that to. Sadly my plan to conquer the moon, turn it into my private weapons plant and then invade earth didn't go as well as i planned. And i underestimated those **** underwater kingdoms! PS There are also nukes in Legacy. I'm not gonna spoil anything but there is something in the game called " the Bringer of Nuclear Fire ". And if that isn't awesome than i don't know what is.

I've also got Godstorm but haven't got round to playing that (defeated units go to the underworld where they can continue the fight!). I've also got RISK Star craft (no played yet, unit models are sweet!) and RISK metal gear (of all things!) not a big metal gear fan, but it is the only risk that has a mobile teritory.

Man i have a lot of risk games. Except regular one (boooooring), LOTR RISK, (my buddy owns it) Star wars Risk, maybe if i find it cheap. And i'm not gonna bother with the Walking dead risk (how does that even work?)

Yikes. That might be a little too brutal, Death Angel (which is about 50/50 for me) is about as much punishment as I can take. Isn't The Adventurers almost the same thing, but less painful?

Mainly play X-Wing these days, even though it is only once every couple of weeks/months.

Have been playing MtG for a long time. Sometimes play the odd game in between. But I stopped buying the stuff years ago, come to think of it, most is from people giving it to me as those editions ceased to be tournament legal, or they didn't like the colour, or it had no trade value, or.... ;-)

I have four blood bowl teams and played them heavily, especially Chaos Dwarfs.

Favourite boardgame is and remains Britannia, but with children we get to play it less.

Axis and Allies has been a big thing for years in my group, but now we know each others playing styles so well every match-up becomes a grind.

X-wing can be played fast, you can keep it simple for a newby, complicated for a regular. And in the vast amount of time between games I can think of fun builds.

I have a copy of Battlefield Risk, it actually has a modular board and Missions you can play.

Yikes. That might be a little too brutal, Death Angel (which is about 50/50 for me) is about as much punishment as I can take. Isn't The Adventurers almost the same thing, but less painful?

I've not played the adventureres. The good thing about DQ is that my hyper bad loser wife doesnt mind losing in it as she knows *everyone* is probably going to die :)

Risk LOTR.... i gave a copy away to my mates son across the road yesterday. If i'd have known you wanted it i would have sent it you for the cost of the postage. Missed that one by hours, sorry

Man... I've played SOOO many games over the years. I started out in High School playing pamphlet book Dungeons & Dragons when it was first out in the 70's (I grew up 30 minutes away from Lake Geneva, WI where it started). After that I picked up Traveller. From there my gaming just grew. I think the first tactical game I played was BattleTech, and the first real miniatures game I played was WH40K (2nd Ed). I never got into card games, although I've tried a few. I've done a few board games mainly Talisman and HeroQuest (both of which I LOVED playing with my family). For quite a few years I was overwhelmed with new games and kept buying stuff that I never had a real chance to play, lately however I've been downsizing my collection and picking out a few games that I want to stay with. Mainly because I don't have the amount of time available in my life now as I did when I was younger.

Most of the games I play now are pre-painted as I don't have the time to sit down and paint whole armies anymore. They're also fairly quick and easy to play games. My current selections are: X-Wing (of course), Wings of Glory (WWI), and Sails of Glory. The one board game I play is OGRE. The only miniatures game that requires painting that I'm working on currently is Flames of War and even then I'm painting a British 8th Army (Desert Rats) Heavy Armoured Company for mid-war which is tank heavy and quick to paint. I have a few other games packed away that are "keepsakes", those are BattleTech, Renegade Legion, Silent Death and Heavy Gear all of which I played for a long time, enjoyed and don't want to get rid of. The last two are from companies I actually worked for (Iron Crown Enterprises and Dream Pod 9).

I bought into Kickstarters for MERCS Recon and ROBOTECH: Tactics, the first may have been a mistake and I may end up Ebay-ing it off or selling it to friends who are more interested in it. ROBOTECH on the other hand I've wanted a game for that for a LONG time. The models are incredible for their scale, the game looks to be easy, fast and brutal although I haven't had a chance to play yet. The only other game I'm waiting on is Car Wars 6th Edition, which is in preliminary development right now.

I know the feeling

I couldnt get into FOW for two reasons. One was that i already had entire companies (1 for 1 scale) of Brits and Germans and supporting armour and scenery in 20mm and didnt want to switch scale but more importantly the system is a bit 'non reflective of wwii' to me.

I've only played four or five game but they did seem to degenerate into a warhammer type scrum in the middle with tanks slugging it out at short range.

I *loved* the mechanic that your 'to hit' roll was dependant on the skill of the guys you were shooting at (as they took cover better but as a rule most men are equally well trained) but it fell down when translated to armour in my mind.

Theoretically an elite tiger crew standing stationary in a town square were harderr to hit than a raw recruit light tank in scrubland and light woods that was moving. (im paraphrasing but thats how it felt)

Gaming wise i actually started on 'choose your own adventure' gaming books and was mad about them (enough to spend weeks writing my own), a friend of my mums gave me his old copy of 'runequest' at about 12. We tried it out with my mates in the summer break an while we got a lot of it wrong we were hooked. We tried D&D but it seemed so 'basic' after RQ and then we found Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay and that became the system of choice (and paranoia as we got older).

we all fell into the GW is the only games company ever trap and played *everything*.... space marine/titanicus, blood bowl, dark future, even the terrible 'trolll games' :)

Great days though. We were scouts so used to do 24 hour sponsored gaming sessions in the scout hall to raise money for charity. we wrote to GW and they sent us a box with *everything* they currntly had in production to help us out.

GW *really* cared back then in the 80s

I can understand not wanting to switch scales, and the fact that FoW isn't really "gritty" rules-wise to reflect the realities of WWII. But there is a big FoW community around my area so it's easy to pick up a game. Also we have one of the writers of the 3rd Ed rulebook locally. Great guy, fun to play against. I haven't had the same experience with the game degenerating into a slugging match. The games I've played have been very mobile, shifting and tactically challenging (at least for me).

Yes, I too bought into EVERYTHING GW made in the 80's and even into the 90's. The only thing I didn't have an army for was Fantasy, and that's because it wasn't popular where I was at the time. I had two 40K armies - Dark Angels (don't hate me), and Iyanden (yes a FULL Ghost Army and god's did it cost me a pretty penny then at $8 a pop for Wraithguard). I had Necromunda (Spyrer's), Battlefleet Gothic (Eldar and Space Marine) and Mordhiem (Middenhiemers, Rieklanders, Dwarves, etc, etc). Once things started to "go south" with their business practices and pricing I decided to quit and sold off all my stuff. Made a good profit on it too. The only game of GW's that I miss playing and would even consider playing again is Mordhiem. I loved that game.

I still play Mordheim.

I really liked 'operation wwii'

I tied really hard to like FOW, the Uks distribution manager lives on the road behind me as we usd to work at GW together and he gave me a load of free stuff so it wasnt even the expense of changing scales, it was more the though of painting it all.

I do get how its the '40k' of WWII now and very easy to get a game at most clubs and i think that probably a very very good reason for playing it as you can have the best system in the world but if no one else is playing it whats the point (thats where i am with 'operation wwii', unless i run a game for mates i cant play it.). If you like the game too then thats a bonus.

I dont think its a bad game its just a im a wwii living history / re-enactor type. I used to write for WWII magazines and *to me* it always felt a bit 'hollywood' wwii but thats no bad thing as memoir 44 is the same and i like that. Probably because memoir 44 is very blatant about being 'beer and pretzels'.

So im not knocking FOW, its just not for me. does *look* lovely to see a good game of it though.

I wish Risk 2210 would get a 2nd edition. That was a fun game.

Tabletop wise, all I've got is X-wing, and I also have Star Wars LCG, but very casually.

Well fair play to you, you made an excellent choice for first table top wargame! :)

Tabletop for me is only xwing that I play and own. I have a 40K Ork army that I only bought to give my son and his Marine army something to fight. Both of us got fed up with the updates to rule being too often and the price hike for minis becoming ludicrous.

I go to a club with around 8 members with 4-6 turning up regularly on games night. We play x wing a fair amount but have dabbled recently in Dropzone Commander, Dystopian Wars and Legion and various other skirmish games including the old 80s Carwars that I have loads of.

I am more of a role player and have recently run Dark heresy campaigns as well as home-brewed BRP games covering Steampunk, WH40K and a modern Zombie apocalypse game.

In my vast collection or rules I still have my 80s collection covering all forms of Traveller including GURPS but not D20, AD&D, Laserburn, Twighlight 2000, CoC, RQ, WHFRP to name a few.

Vimes you list some great game there in the last para.

I loved twilight 2000s back story and the combat system was really fast... that was great

it was stupidly biased against the soviets though. I seem to recall and sa80 or m16 could kill with one shot but a you could fire the entire magaine of a czech scorpion into someones face and lightly wound them.... :)

I guess it made the 'heros' less vulnerable but we had groups of players who were a mix of warsaw pact and nato... real 'pirates' rather than the 'lets get home' unit.

I am currently playing X-Wing and Heroclix.

In the past I have played

Battlefleet Gothic

Classic Battletech

Axis and Allies: War at Sea

MechWarrior

Mage Knight

I will also play most any board game if the rules can be explained/read in 30 minutes or less.

Never could get into CCGs. I do love to play Hearts, Spades...

X-wing is the first and only miniatures game I currently play. I have a EotE CRB and was trying to drum up support for an RPG but no one was really that interested :\

Other non-board games I play: Starcraft 2, Empire at War (Thrawn's Revenge Mod), and Star Trek Online.

Other hobbies: I love building and painting models, but have just been way too busy recently. I'm also an apprentice falconer, which takes up a lot of my time.

X-wing is the first and only miniatures game I currently play. I have a EotE CRB and was trying to drum up support for an RPG but no one was really that interested :\

Other non-board games I play: Starcraft 2, Empire at War (Thrawn's Revenge Mod), and Star Trek Online.

Other hobbies: I love building and painting models, but have just been way too busy recently. I'm also an apprentice falconer, which takes up a lot of my time.

Wow, I'm also a lover of Thrawn's Revenge :lol:

I play waay to may video games :S

I first started with Classic Battletech 2nd edition, and am currently adding to this (as well as x wing).

I also play occasionally Warhammer 40K and Fantasy.

I also have a lots of fun board games, the most recent of these are based on the Discworld novels by Sir Terry Pratchett.

AnkhMorpork city game

Guards, Guards!

The Witches

and

Thud! ( a chess type game)

(I originally got into 40K as a hobbyist, I enjoy building models and painting as stress relief (and an exercise in patience) and Battletech has some cool miniatures and as soon as they arrive I will be painting some more of them)

Currently x-wing is my favourite and currently looking forward to our local club holding their first x-wing tournament at the end of January.

I got into gaming with Heroquest and Escape from Colditz Castle back in the day. I was on the GW bandwagon for a while with a Chaos 40K army (back in second edition) and a Vampire Counts army in Fantasy (I think that was 5th Edition? Whenever they split Vampires off the rest of the undead). The miniatures were nice but the rules weren't really there, took me a long time to realise that though :)

I have a fairly large FoW late war German infantry army though I rarely play. I like boardgames and I have Settlers of Catan and Carcassone (with about a million expansions for each), Agricola, Arkham Horror (with most expansions), Smash Up, Thunderstone, Pandemic, Mice & Mystics, various others I can't remember... I play X-wing more than anything else though. There are a few I'm hoping to get soon- Imperial Assault, Shadows of Brimstone, and Dead of Winter.

Apart from the stuff we play with other people where we don't own the games, such as Battlestar Galactica, Fire Rescue, Pandemic or Settlers of Catan, my wife and I own:

Well, this was the score for Christmas:

10689460_811558902244940_606217821874949

This was the collection last year, minus X-Wing:

11501_575282619205904_1591128443_n.jpg?o

Edited by Dagonet