XG-1 "Star Wing" Assault Gunboat Thread

By FTS Gecko, in X-Wing

Cool idea, but I'd rather play myself. While Farlander, Stele and Azzameen are who you canonically play in X-wing and TIE You really just play yourself.

Doubled in the original x-wing where you shared pilot files so you could be your friends wingman - afterall this was before the internet was a real thing.

This is becoming totally off-topic, but I like it. ;)

I was thinking that a nice idea for a sequel would be a follow up that loosely goes along with the Thrawn Campaign from the Heir to the Empire books

That would be awesome. I'd want to be playing Maarek Stele still though.

Be especially cool if all those various prototype ships that the Empire put into storage at the end of TIE Fighter, ended up in the Emperor's storehouse on Wayland. Giving you an excuse to be flying them again.

You mean the Missile Boat? I never thought I would read you saying you want to fly it again. :D

Cool idea, but I'd rather play myself. While Farlander, Stele and Azzameen are who you canonically play in X-wing and TIE You really just play yourself.

Doubled in the original x-wing where you shared pilot files so you could be your friends wingman - afterall this was before the internet was a real thing.

Okay, and why not extending that wingmen feature of the original X-Wing?

If I were making a remake of X-Wing, I would totally turn that thing into something similar to the soldier squad in X-Com: Enemy Unknown.

You are the squadron leader, you get to recruit rookies to replenish your loses, they come with a name, a race and portrait, and one special trait (excellent bomber, great gunner, hard to hit, fast learner, force sensitive, etc).

Then you would make them grow by keeping them alive and letting them gain ranks and experience, potentially unlocking new traits, and possibly equipping them with better droids, shields, weapons, modifications, etc.

You might complete a mission, but still choose to redo it if you have lost too many valuable wingmen during it. (Nobody likes losing stuff forever, so the player would need to accept the consequences of the mission, or redo it whole).

What do you think?

Oh I'd love that so much (indeed i've always wished for that).

Even more so, pilot files could discretely record flight styles of the pilot. Missile heavy, laser heavy, craft preference, evasion style etc etc.

Basically the way Operation Flashpoint / Resistance handled it, only way more advanced.

(in Op Flash resistance your mooks leveled up, if they died though that was it).

Edited by DariusAPB

You mean the Missile Boat? I never thought I would read you saying you want to fly it again.

I don't, but I'm sure plenty of other TIE Fighter fans would want it in the sequel.

You mean the Missile Boat? I never thought I would read you saying you want to fly it again.

I don't, but I'm sure plenty of other TIE Fighter fans would want it in the sequel.

You know what though? The missile boat is so rare it's kinda pointless. There are like 2 Imperial MIS remaining in the entire Empire, completely locked down.

Now if there were to be an alternate history campaign where it's rediscovered and manufactured by an Imperial faction...

Edited by DariusAPB

You know what though? The missile boat is so rare it's kinda pointless. There are like 2 Imperial MIS remaining in the entire Empire, completely locked down.

Yes, but locked down WHERE?

A big plot point of Heir to the Empire is Thrawn finding the Emperor's storehouse of various secret technologies and artifacts.

If things like cloning cylinders and cloaking devices were stored there, it's conceivable that the Missile Boat may have been stored there as well. In which case, you could either end up flying those prototypes again, or they might end up building more.

This is true, and Mount Tantiss is the first place I'd look for them. Might find a couple Defenders too.

This is true, and Mount Tantiss is the first place I'd look for them. Might find a couple Defenders too.

Exactly.

Oh I'd love that so much (indeed i've always wished for that).

Even more so, pilot files could discretely record flight styles of the pilot. Missile heavy, laser heavy, craft preference, evasion style etc etc.

Basically the way Operation Flashpoint / Resistance handled it, only way more advanced.

(in Op Flash resistance your mooks leveled up, if they died though that was it).

...Cloning Cylinders... your mooks imitate your style of flying...

I read the Thrawn trilogy books way after I played thru TIE Fighter, and as I was reading the books, I was totally expecting Thrawn to find the Missile Boat there and use it against the New Republic. :rolleyes:

Of course, it couldn't have happend, as I later learned that the Thrawn trilogy was written before X-Wing was made.

The Missile Boat was an oddity. I believe Samuel L Jackson would have described it as the ship to use "when you absolutely, positively gotta kill every last enemy ship in the scenario. Accept no substitutes".

It was a cool looking ship, though. That said, I much preferred the curved hull version to the boxy design.

Back on the XG-1, I rather enjoyed seeing this little image in the Armada forums earlier...

XG-120Star20Wing20Squadron20minis_zpsohm

My take on the Assault Gunboat.

(using B-Wing maneuver dial)

Looking for unique pilots... anyone can help?

x_wing_miniatures_game___ship__assault_g

As far as I know there aren't any specific named pilots for it other than Maarek. You could always go the FFG route and invent callsigns.

I'd suggest the following adjustments to the B-wing dial:

R

/ W / W / W / / R

W / W / G / W / W

R / G / G / G / R

Very little difference there to my own take Odanan - although I'm still not 100% happy with the Cannon slot. Here's what I've got now...

XG-1%20Assault%20Gunboat%20Revised_zps9q

Linked-Firing-Array_zpslizrakn2.jpg

Contemplating changing the upgrade card to an ion weapon in and of itself, which may only be used after a successful primary weapon attack.. of course that means it wouldn't work with Missiles as well, which is an annoyance...

Very little difference there to my own take Odanan - although I'm still not 100% happy with the Cannon slot. Here's what I've got now...

XG-1%20Assault%20Gunboat%20Revised_zps9q

Linked-Firing-Array_zpslizrakn2.jpg

Contemplating changing the upgrade card to an ion weapon in and of itself, which may only be used after a successful primary weapon attack.. of course that means it wouldn't work with Missiles as well, which is an annoyance...

These are very good! I think I will end up removing the System upgrade...

BTW, here is my Missile Boat:

x_wing_miniatures_game___ship__missile_b

Looks good - I like the idea of having it as a cheap ship which gets incrementally more powerful when you buy it's weapons.

I think the main issue the Missile Boat would have is getting the necessary mileage out of it's missiles and torpedoes. Extra Munitions will help.

I have two from Mel about to be painted. Will surely playtest this variant!

I've snagged two each of the Assault Gunboats and Missile Boats from Mel, and the gunboats are one of my favorite ships to play with in casual games with my friends. So much so that I even went so far as to make a Unique pilot for it based on the TIE Fighter lore.

So given my new Gunboats, I wanted some pilot cards for them. I snagged the ones Mel had made (Tau and Sigma) but wanted at least one Unique pilot. So of course I decided to make my own :D

I give you Xeal, a 7 PS Gunboat pilot to go with the Sigma (PS 3) and Tau (PS 5) cards.

download.png

So lets go through some... explanations of where my brain was at. First off, Xeal is the name of a Cadet that Maarek Steele meets during the events of TIE Fighter, one who practically begs Steele to teach him if for no other reason than to survive. He goes missing, and when Steele sees him next, notices that Xeal now has what Steele calls the "killer's eyes". His friendship/apprenticeship with Steele is why I decided to pull him into the game. And of course since hes Unique, he's gotta have that EPS card slot to go with it.

As for his ability, that comes from information I found about the conversation Steele and Xeal had when they first met; mainly Xeal asking "Why do we hate the Rebellion?" which leads to this part I found on the Wiki page for Xeal:

Stele rapidly hushed his subordinate, then continued to voice accomplishments of the Empire, furthermore the fact of war is the enemy is shooting at you, naturally you'll return fire.

That last part is what got me thinking about a cool ability. I figured I could have given the bonus on the same turn, but that would only really work against ships that had a higher PS, or of Xeal was the target of a Decoy card, and given that he is a 7, it didnt seem to be worth it. I could have also gone the 'double' attack route like Corran has, but I wanted something that was unique and wouldnt break the game; it basically turns Xeal into a jouster ship. But I am quite curious to hear what others think of it.

And of course, my wee painted Gunboats.

20150404_100954.jpg

So lets go through some... explanations of where my brain was at. First off, Xeal is the name of a Cadet that Maarek Steele meets during the events of TIE Fighter, one who practically begs Steele to teach him if for no other reason than to survive. He goes missing, and when Steele sees him next, notices that Xeal now has what Steele calls the "killer's eyes". His friendship/apprenticeship with Steele is why I decided to pull him into the game. And of course since hes Unique, he's gotta have that EPS card slot to go with it.

As for his ability, that comes from information I found about the conversation Steele and Xeal had when they first met; mainly Xeal asking "Why do we hate the Rebellion?" which leads to this part I found on the Wiki page for Xeal:

Stele rapidly hushed his subordinate, then continued to voice accomplishments of the Empire, furthermore the fact of war is the enemy is shooting at you, naturally you'll return fire.

That last part is what got me thinking about a cool ability. I figured I could have given the bonus on the same turn, but that would only really work against ships that had a higher PS, or of Xeal was the target of a Decoy card, and given that he is a 7, it didnt seem to be worth it. I could have also gone the 'double' attack route like Corran has, but I wanted something that was unique and wouldnt break the game; it basically turns Xeal into a jouster ship. But I am quite curious to hear what others think of it.

And of course, my wee painted Gunboats.

20150404_100954.jpg

Can I "Stele" that pilot's name and ability? :P

Oh, and I want so badly one of those minis!

Edited by Odanan

And here's the alternative to the "Linked Fire Array" upgrade mentioned earlier. Would be usable by the Defender as well... still not 100% happy with either idea though :unsure:

Fire%20Linked%20Ion%20Cannon_zpsx4mrg4z2

And here's the alternative to the "Linked Fire Array" upgrade mentioned earlier. Would be usable by the Defender as well... still not 100% happy with either idea though :unsure:

Possible abuse: using this upgrade to fire an IG2000 mangler secondary weapon cann o n after hitting with a primary attack.

After you perform a primary weapon attack that hits, the defender receives 1 ion token, plus 1 extra ion token per (crit) result.

It would be quite original, involve only one die roll, not cancelling dice, and somehow, it would be the only ion weapon in the game affected by range bonuses.

Edited by Azrapse
I give you Xeal, a 7 PS Gunboat pilot to go with the Sigma (PS 3) and Tau (PS 5) cards.

So lets go through some... explanations of where my brain was at. First off, Xeal is the name of a Cadet that Maarek Steele meets during the events of TIE Fighter, one who practically begs Steele to teach him if for no other reason than to survive. He goes missing, and when Steele sees him next, notices that Xeal now has what Steele calls the "killer's eyes". His friendship/apprenticeship with Steele is why I decided to pull him into the game. And of course since hes Unique, he's gotta have that EPS card slot to go with it...

I love the way you've picked this pilot up from the story and background! Only things I'd suggest are:
a: The Sigma Squadron callsign has already been used with the Phantoms - Maybe Rho or Mu Squadron instead?
b: The pilot skills are pretty high - I'd maybe reduce the generics to 2 and 4, with Xeal being 5 or 6 - Sas you sais, he was a cadet ans Steele's PS 7 himself, after all.

Possible abuse: using this upgrade to fire an IG2000 mangler secondary weapon cann o n after hitting with a primary attack.

True enough, that text was taken from the XG-1 only Systems Upgrade earlier. I may amend the Cannon to read "you may immediately perform an attack with this weapon against the same target".

Why not instead it being a cannon upgrade with no attack value, nor range values, that says:

After you perform a primary weapon attack that hits, the defender receives 1 ion token, plus 1 extra ion token per (crit) result.

Seems a bit too powerful - with my version the defender still has the opportunity to evade the ion effects entirely, even if the primary weapon hits.

And here's the alternative to the "Linked Fire Array" upgrade mentioned earlier. Would be usable by the Defender as well... still not 100% happy with either idea though

I definitely prefer this method of making the Linked Ion Cannons a Cannon upgrade that replaces the standard Ion Cannons than some kind of System upgrade.

That said, I'm not normally a guy that get's all into points costs and whatnot, but why is an ion cannon that can shoot in addition to your main attack cheaper than the standard Ion Cannon? I realize it's one attack dice less, but I would still think shooting in addition to your primary attack would be a large advantage over the standard Ion Cannon.