FFG Developer Answered Questions

By kaosoe, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

On the the Saber Throw Talent:

Rules Question:
When making a Saber Throw attack the RAW states: "Saber Throw: (pg 151 F&D) ... The character must spend (1 Force Point) and succeed on the check to hit the target..."
Is the Player required to spend the Force point even if the attack roll fails?

Answer:

Yes.

Sam Stewart
RPG Manager
Fantasy Flight Games

I don't know if these have been answered before, so I'll post them:

Question 1:

On talents like Draw Closer, it says "against target within medium range". Do I have to be at the specified range, or is it enough to be at either medium or short, and can I use it even when engaged with the target? (If the latter is the case, couldn't I use all force pips as success, making normal lightsaber attacks obsolete?) Also, same question for Hawk Bat Swoop.

Answer:

You may make Draw Closer or Hawk Bat Swoop attacks at targets you are engaged with, as they are within the specified range.

Question 2:

It was already clarified, that when piloting a vehicle, the defensive Sense ongoing effect would not upgrade the difficulty of incoming attacks. What about the offensive ongoing effect? Does it upgrade my own attacks when using starship or vehicle weapons?

Answer:

Yes, it does.

Page 106 of Nexus of Power, in the player options chapter, there are two droid profiles listed, but no accompanying price or rarity for them. Is this an oversight?

This is an oversight, and will be corrected in an upcoming errata. For the meantime, the Chameleon droid should have a rarity of 6 and price of 4,000, and the stone guardian should have a rarity of 10 and a price of 25,000.

Q: Is it permissible to gain a Customizable Hard Point by removing a weapon from a stock ship?

A: Hello ShadoWarrior,

If you remove a stock weapon from a ship, you do not get a hard point that you can replace with anything. So in effect, that hard point is lost.
Sam Stewart
RPG Manager
Fantasy Flight Games
Rules Question:
Active sensor range is one range band larger than the passive sensor range and limit to one arc. What happens if a mod reduce passive sensor range? Will the active sensor range be effected from this?
Answer:
Yes it will.
Hope this helps!
Sam Stewart

Edited by SEApocalypse
1 hour ago, SEApocalypse said:
Rules Question:
Active sensor range is one range band larger than the passive sensor range and limit to one arc. What happens if a mod reduce passive sensor range? Will the active sensor range be effected from this?
Answer:
Yes it will.
Hope this helps!
Sam Stewart

Loaded question there. No attachment or Mod actually reduces sensor range.

On page 58 of Savage Spirits, the Alidade-class long-range survey vessel is listed as a silhouette 5 ship. It has a defense of 2/-/-/1. Is this in error? Other silhouette 5 vessels have four defense zones. Is the silhouette incorrect? Or the defense values? If so, what are the correct defense values?

From Tim Huckelbery:

Good catch, it should indeed have 1’s for port and starboard. We’ll get it corrected for the next reprint, thanks!

On 1/26/2017 at 4:34 AM, HappyDaze said:

Loaded question there. No attachment or Mod actually reduces sensor range.

Somehow when I glanced over this, it looked like "your mom actually reduces sensor range."

:lol:

I'm not sure this question goes here, but I'd be curious to know officially. Can anyone confirm that the Zabrak with Sugi in this image is/isn't Jas Amari?

swe16_preview4.jpg

On 2/3/2017 at 6:36 AM, aliasman02 said:

I'm not sure this question goes here...

It doesn't ;) You could ask the Order 66 guys who regularly have FFG staff on, send a question to Customer Service here , or try tweeting @zoejkrobinson ...not sure what would give you the most success.

Question Asked by Kaosoe :
With the release of the Martial Artist in No Disintegrations, we are seeing several talents like "Unarmed Parry" and "Iron Body" that enhance unarmed combatants.However, there is some debate about what constitutes an unarmed character. If a combatant is using brawl weapons such as shock gloves or vibro-knuckles are they still considered unarmed or do brawl weapons count as weapons for the sake of being unarmed. From my understanding brawl weapons augment unarmed attacks as in the Paragraph EotE p. 211. so unless specified otherwise (like in the "pressure point" talent: not to be done with any weapon) brawl-weapons are considered unarmed attacks by all means?

Answered by Sam Stewart :
Normally, Brawl weapons augment unarmed attacks, and can be used as part of an unarmed attack. Some talents may specifically require the user to not be wielding any weapons, which would include Brawl weapons.

I got a response from Sam Stewart to my questions:

Move and Bind:
Can Move be used on Living beings, including beasts, PC's, NPC's, and Droids?

1. Yes.

2a.
When using Move to take something from Engaged to Extreme range in a single action without the Control upgrade to cause damage does the entire travel time happen in a single round?
2b.
If not then do you have guidance on how long it should take?

2. Yes. However, keep in mind that a round is not a set amount of time (in Chapter 6, this is called out in the Structured Gameplay Overview section; a round’s length in “real world” time is deliberately not specified.)

When using Bind, in particular the Control upgrade for moving your target, do you need to activate the base power and immobilise your target before being able to move them? Or can you spend only a single Force Point on activating the power to only move the target a single range band?
(ie does the movement control upgrade add a new way to activate the basic power or is it something that can only be activated after first activating the normal "Immobilise & wound" basic power)

3. You need to activate the base power first.

4a.
Can the Bind control upgrade that moves the target one range band closer or further away be used to push/pull the target into/through an obstacle?
4b.
If yes, what damage would the target and/or obstacle take?

4. Yes you can push someone into someone. However, they do not take damage from this.

5a.
When using Bind, only "targets, others & enemies" are mentioned as to what you can target with the power. Can one use Bind on living beings such as animals & non-living beings, such as droids?
5b.
If yes, is there a silhouette limit on the Bind power?

5c. Can Bind be used on non-sentient targets such as equipment, ships, Blaster shots, doors and the general environment.

5. Bind cannot be used to target equipment, gear, items, and whatnot. It can target droids or animals. Though there is no silhouette limit, the GM can rule that some things are too big (or not really appropriate) to be targets of Bind, including droid-run spaceships, space slugs, rancors, and other such items.

When a Force User spends a Force Point from a power check to activate the basic Bind power is the target always Staggered? Or can the Force User chose to activate the basic power without Staggering the target

6. Using the mastery ability is in itself a choice, and since staggering the target is the only effect, if you don’t want to stagger the target, don’t use the mastery ability.

Now I screwed up on the final question, typing Stagger instead of Immobilise, I have replied to Sam telling him as much and asking for an answer to what the question should have been, so basically ignore that question until I get the response and I edit it in.

Edited by Richardbuxton

Enhance:

1a.
Can a player using the Force Leap Action from the Enhance Force Power use it to Engage or Disengage as part of the leap?
1b.
If yes, then does that also allow them to engage or disengage when leaping to, or from, Medium Range (and as a Manoeuvre with the appropriate upgrades)?

How many Force Leaps with the Range Upgrade are required to reach Extreme Range for an unengaged Force User?
* Is it 3, Start-Medium-Long-Extreme (counting leaps as equal to 2 move maneuvers, or twice the distance*)
* Or is it 5, Start-Medium-Medium2-Long-Long2-Extreme (counting leaps as normal distance)

Rules as written, engaging or disengaging from someone is a special maneuver you must perform to engage or disengage from someone, so technically, Force leap doesn’t let you do that. However, your GM can allow it if it makes sense in the scene. However, your GM can also require you to perform the disengage maneuver, then once you’ve broken contact, use Force leap to move further away.

Now clearly he didn't answer the second of my questions, which I replied to him about so if I get an updated answer I will provide it

Regarding Armor Master and Improved Armor Master, and how they interact: as an example, armored clothing offers 1 soak and 1 defense. Armor Master increases soak to 2. Would Improved Armor Master subsequently increase the defense of armored clothing?

If you read the description of Armor Master, it says that it increases your “total soak” by 1. It doesn’t improve your armor’s soak, which is what Improved Armor Master cares about.

Hope that helps!

Sam Stewart

A couple guys on the forums were arguing that Move wasn't appropriate for performing a Force push, and that Bind was the only way to do it by RAW. And that the previous answer from 2014 about Move being usable for pushing, slamming, etc was not valid because we didn't have Bind back then. SO I asked another question, and Sam got back to me.

Rules Question:
Hello! I have a question about pushing and pulling enemies through the Force. Some people are arguing that, with the advent of Force and Destiny, the *Bind* power is now the only proper way to perform a "Force push" (and also "pull"), because they say the Move basic power is "too slow." I've been ruling that the Move power can be used to perform a Force push/pull (with the appropriate Strength upgrades for silhouette size, and with the "ranged attack" Control upgrade if I want to deal damage with the push). Is that a reasonable use of the Move power, using it to perform a Force push/pull with just the basic power & Strength upgrade?

And the reply:

The Move power works just fine for pushing people around, or pulling them around!
Hope this helps!
Sam Stewart
RPG Manager
Fantasy Flight Games

What's the best way to submit these questions? I've submitted a few through the proper channels on the website here & it's been months since then with no response.

I always submit my rules questions via the customer service channel, https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/more/customer-service/

I usually get very prompt responses. I try to make them as easy to read and answer as possible, so I try to never ask multi-part questions or anything like that. It looks to me like the Rules Questions form spits out your question to the staff without any paragraph delineations, like it just comes at them as one blob of text, so brevity is gonna be your ally there.

Also, it probably depends on how easy the question is to answer. That last one that I submitted was likely a no-brainer for Sam. But there might be others that require the opinions of other staffers, or a real rules-dig, or perhaps getting at the intent behind the rules from whomever wrote them.

It could also depend on the season (conventions make games-industry workers busy!), other projects and internal due dates they're working with, and of course it all depends on how much they like you... ;)

Seriously though, I have never had any problems with the customer service with FFG. I've had to wait sometimes for responses, but months seems a bit long. Maybe try re-submitting your questions? Or maybe they are questions the forum-goers could help you with if you haven't already started a thread for them? I must admit I'm curious :)

In the efforts of keeping the rest of this topic ON-topic, I will be moving this conversation to a private message. Thanks for your response!

Now, I haven't gotten any answers to any of my past questions using that link.

30 minutes ago, Tramp Graphics said:

Now, I haven't gotten any answers to any of my past questions using that link.

That's weird, man. Do you get a little confirmation page, "Your question was sent successfully" or something like that?

It's been several months since I last asked, but, I believe I did.

One thing I would suggest is always choose Edge of the Empire as the game line your asking about, when I do I seem to get responses within days.

2 hours ago, Richardbuxton said:

One thing I would suggest is always choose Edge of the Empire as the game line your asking about, when I do I seem to get responses within days.

This seems to have an element of truth. When I ask about the Age of Rebellion line, I've never gotten a response.

4 hours ago, Richardbuxton said:

Well I have tested this theory. I will let you know if I get a response in days instead of... well... almost never.

14 hours ago, Magnus Arcanus said:

Well I have tested this theory. I will let you know if I get a response in days instead of... well... almost never.

FFG, reading the forums, decides to screw with the community and respond in a manner than keeps them guessing and perplexed...