FFG Developer Answered Questions

By kaosoe, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Hello Joel,

Normally, the “free maneuver” still takes a maneuver’s worth of time (it is not “performed as an incidental” which would allow it to happen during the action). Your GM is more than welcome to allow you to pull out your lightsaber and reflect the attack because of the Threat the attack generated, but that falls under GM license, not something doable within the rules.
Hope that helps!
Sam Stewart
RPG Manager
Fantasy Flight Games
On Nov 13, 2017, at 3:06 PM, [email protected] wrote:
Rules Question:
In the other night's game my jedi character was fired upon while not having her lightsaber drawn, and was hit. But since the shooter rolled two threats it opened up the possibility for me to "immediately perform one free maneuver in response to the active character's check" so I asked the GM if that would let me use reflect to reduce the damage, and after a moment's thought he decided to go with it for this time, but we'd look it up later. So, session over, I hit the books and page 211 of FaD informs us that you do indeed resolve threats (Step 4) before reducing damage (Step 5), and the word "immediately" certainly suggests that this maneuver is resolved before calculating damage. You could of course also argue that "in response" would mean "after the original action has been fully resolved", but that does seem a little bit forced. Turns out, that would be a moot point, since page 150 informs us that Reflect reduces damage at Step 3, before resolving threats. So, per RAW it wouldn't work. Or would it? Reflect is resolved immediately after Step 3, so logically that would mean between Step 3 and 4. Fine. You knock the damage down for the base attack, meaning that if the attacker decides to activate Linked, Blast or even Auto-fire, all hits, regardless of target, get their damage reduced if the original target used Reflect to reduce damage. It also means, that if someone is hit by auto-fire or blast when they were not the original target, they may not reflect per RAW, as Reflect is resolved after Step 3, but auto-fire and blast are resolved first at Step 4. Reflect also explicitly the states that it can only be used once per hit, despite earlier text suggesting that it would reduce damage across all hits resulting from a single attack. I am starting to suspect a typo here since the text states "after damage is calculated (but before soak is applied, so immediately after step 3" and damage is calculated at step 5. Resolving Reflect between step 4 and 5 instead of between 3 and 4 would make all this weirdness suddenly make sense. It would however introduce the issue that if a successful hit scores enough damage to allow a crit, and reflect then kicks in to reduce the damage (with or without soak) to zero, advantages can't be spent to cause a crit, but honestly that seems like a lesser headache to deal with, as you are already supposed to know if you beat the targets soak score at Step 4 when spending advantage, despite strictly speaking not calculating it until Step 5. When should you resolve Reflect, and would spending threat to take free maneuver in order to draw your lightsaber qualify you to use it? And which would be the correct way to handle muliple hits from from Linked, Auto-fire or Blast with Linked? Reducing damage (and taking strain) once per hit or just once per attack, which would then apply to all hits from that attack?

Edited by penpenpen

Hello Nightone,

Anything that sets a specific Critical simply replaces the Critical Injury roll. So you would generate the result through the Disruptor, Precision Strike, or whatever. Then Durable or similar abilities kick in and modify that result.
Hope that helps!
Sam Stewart
RPG Manager
Fantasy Flight Games
On Nov 14, 2017, at 1:55 AM, [email protected] wrote:
Message from:
Nightone

Rules Question:
Hi FFG Team! Short question about Durable/ Supreme Armor Master vs. Precision Strike/ Disruptor/ Varpelin Lightsaber. Does Durable help to reduce the critical result of the 3 Special Cases?
1) The Disruptor sets the result of the crit roll to minimum maimed (so from let's say 46 to 101) after this the durable / supreme Armor Master should be able to reduce the out come again (so no maimed)
2) Precision Strike, after the crit roll the martial artist can choose to suffer strain to set the result to any Easy/Medium/hard (depending of the level of Precision Strike) Result. (so from 46 - Headringer to 81 - Overpowered) ishere Durable also applieable to then again reduce the outcome of this mighty talent after the M.A. choose to change the outcome?
3) Varpelin Crystal, by spending two Triumph the result of the Crit is automaticaly set to Maimed... no d100 required. Can this be reduced by durabel/ supreme armor master?
greetings Nightone

Just got this response to a question I had about buying and selling:

Question:

Hello! I was hoping you could clarify how buying and selling are supposed to work in both Star Wars and Genesys. If a PC wants to sell something he looted from a foe, and the sale is not a plot-critical moment, does this require one check or two? More specifically, does the PC need to make one Negotiation or Streetwise check versus the item's Rarity to find a buyer, and a second Negotiation or Streetwise check to haggle over the price with the merchant? Or is the first roll the only one required?

The rules on pp. 82–83 of the Genesys rulebook and pp. 157–58 of the Force and Destiny rulebook seem to imply that it's one roll versus a difficulty set by the item's Rarity, with uncanceled Successes increasing the sale price. But should it be two rolls? Roll 1, to find the buyer, Roll 2 to haggle over the price?

For one more level to this question, does the answer depend on the plot-critical-ness of the encounter? Haggling against a merchant makes selling into an opposed check, almost always opening the door to Despair. Is this an indicator that these sorts of opposed haggling sessions should be reserved for important plot moments, and not for simple looting and selling of enemy gear? Thanks for any clarification!

Answer:

The rules roll the “find a buyer” and the “sell the item” into a single check, which is why it becomes more difficult to sell rarer items (it’s harder to find a buyer with the kind of money/interest to afford the item in the first place).

However, you do have a good point. If the negotiations are plot critical, you can expand the encounter out into two parts. One to find a buyer (which can rely on Knowledge or Streetwise checks, or even social skill checks as your characters talk to their friends and find someone interested in making the purchase). The second would be to negotiate a price, at which point you could make an opposed Negotiation check instead of a set difficulty. Simply use the same resolution for successes!

Hope that helps!

Sam Stewart

RPG Manager

Fantasy Flight Games

Edited by SavageBob

Questions:

Hello, My first question is regarding a previous answer from Sam Stewart about the Saber Throw talent. Even if the user misses the attack, they are still required to spend a Force Point.
Q1: Does this mean that this requires a second Force Point to return the saber to the user's hand?
My second question is regarding the Bind Force power. The base power states that it Immobilizes the target. Immobilize is defined as preventing maneuvers for the duration of the effect. The narrative benefit of the power states that it restricts movement on a target as well.
Q2: Would Bind also prevent Incidentals such as speaking, turning in place, dropping items or talents such as Dodge that imply movement? Thank you for your time.
Answers: Hi Barron,
Yes, you need to spend the Force point just to get the saber flying off in the direction of the target. And you always need a second Force point to have it return, whether you hit or miss.
As for bind, the rules as written is it would prevent maneuvers. Whether that also applies to incidentals that apply to movement is up to your GM, but as the power is designed, it would not.
Hope that helps,
Sam Stewart
RPG Manager
Fantasy Flight Games

Hi Joel,

It should be a passive defense, so you can apply it to checks that you are unware of being exposed to.
Hope this helps!
Sam Stewart
RPG Manager
Fantasy Flight Games

Rules Question:
Hello! Can a Force user use the Resilience upgrade of Enhance to add Force dice to a resilience check to resist a hazard (such as poison, radiation or disease) she is unaware that she has been exposed to? Meaning, is it intended to be an active conscious effort to use for a specific purpose, or is it supposed to represent to be a "passive defense" that is always active unless the Force user chooses not to or the force dice are unavailable for some other reason?

That one came up at my table latly:

Rules Question:

My Question: If a character is using the last ebb/flow control Upgrade "Commit a Force dice to use the remaining Force Rating with every skill check for the remaining encounter" is the character still able to use other Force Powers and Force Talents - like Force Jump or Saber Throw or Move Power, or are those then forbidden (since you can't use 2 different Forcepowers in one check by default)???

And if he is allowed will he have to use every force point that is generated (black and white) with that power or are those powers working out side the ebb/flow control-upgrade and handled normally?

Thanks and Greetings Nightone

Hello Nightone,

If your character is already using their remaining Force rating with every skill check for the remaining encounter, they cannot also use other Force Powers. In effect, they have committed their remaining Force Rating to this power. If your character committed some of their Force rating to other powers before activating Ebb and Flow, those do remain committed as normal.
Hope this helps!
Sam Stewart
RPG Manager
Fantasy Flight Games

Personal Note: That makes this a game changer (at my table)

Hi everyone, this are two questions answered by Sam Stewart (a gentleman and a scholar)

Rules Question: Supreme Scathing Tirade / Inspiring Rhetoric as a Maneuver.
Is it possible to use Supreme Scathing Tirade or Supreme Inspiring Rhetoric, 2 or 3 times per round? The Supreme version of these Talents allows to use the action Scathing Tirade (or Inspiring Rhetoric) as a maneuver. Since a character may take one action and up to 2 maneuver, would it be possible to do this multiple times? Thanks for the answers!

Yes, you can use those talents up to three times if you have the Supreme version.

Hope that helps!

Sam Stewart
RPG Manager
Fantasy Flight Games

Rules Question: Force Powers and group of minions.

I have the following problem: I can't find a clear ruling about Force Powers (for example, Move and Influence) and group of minions.

For Move (FaD page 298), I have seen that disarming or moving away 3 Stormtroopers require Magnitud upgrade, in addition to control upgrades, because a PC is affecting 3 objects.

For Influence (FaD page 294) I have seen that with the first upgrade control (10xp), the PC might Influence 3 Stormtroopers with a difficulty 3 and 2 upgrades, considering the minion rules (3 Will and 2 discipline as group skill). In this case, I have seen that this action does not require the Magnitud upgrades.

So, my question is: Does targeting Force Powers to groups of minion requires Magnitud upgrades?And for Influence, If this requires multiple Magnitud upgrades, do I need to apply the minion group rule and increase the difficulty on top of that?

As to your second question, whether or not a Force power check requires magnitude upgrades depends a lot on circumstances and your GM. If you’re trying to throw three stormtroopers around with Move, it would make a lot of sense that you’d need a Magnitude upgrade (especially since you could forgo the magnitude upgrade and still throw one stormtrooper around, potentially removing them from the minion group if you could throw them far/hard enough).

However, with influence, nothing about that control upgrade specifies that you would not need to target all three stormtroopers to affect them. If you did, you would use the minion rules and upgrade the check based on the number of minions, and use the Magnitude upgrade to affect them.

However, your GM could certainly decide to treat minion groups as a single entity for the purposes of all social interactions. In that case, you would still upgrade the difficulty, but you wouldn’t need to use the Magnitude upgrade.

Given that minion groups do occupy a unique position in the realm of adversaries, either option is a reasonable one. My suggestion would be to pick the one that works best for you and your group, and stick with it.

Hope that helps!

Sam Stewart
RPG Manager
Fantasy Flight Games

Recently, a question came up as to whether Full Throttle automatically accelerates your vehicle to its new, temporary top speed granted by the talent.

The Full Throttle talent increases the top speed of your vehicle. However, it does not accelerate your vehicle to that speed, so you will need to use maneuvers to take advantage of your new top speed.

Hope this helps!
Sam Stewart
RPG Manager
Fantasy Flight Games
There we have it:

On 4/20/2018 at 1:13 PM, Nytwyng said:

Recently, a question came up as to whether Full Throttle automatically accelerates your vehicle to its new, temporary top speed granted by the talent.

YEp. I got that same response:

Hello Michael,

The Full Throttle talent increases the top speed of your vehicle. However, it does not accelerate your vehicle to that speed, so you will need to use maneuvers to take advantage of your new top speed.
Hope this helps!
Sam Stewart
RPG Manager
Fantasy Flight Games
The information contained in this electronic message is privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the recipient named above. If the reader of the message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
On Mar 31, 2018, at 7:16 PM, [email protected] wrote:

Rules Question:
I have a question regarding the three Full Throttle talents, including the Improved and Supreme talents. If you a ship traveling at its top speed (speed 3 for example) and have Supreme Full Throttle and you perform the Full Throttle action (or maneuver with Improved FT),and you boost the top speed of the ship by 2, does that mean you are now immediately traveling at speed 5 or would it take another round or two of maneuvers to “accelerate” to that new speed?

Also, on an unrelated question, this time regarding sensors and comms ranges:

Ah, right. I was confused because of your discussing coms range.

Sensors within a planet’s atmosphere are more limited than in space, due to the masking affects of the atmosphere and the limited scanning distance of the horizon line. So sensors have a shorter range in an atmosphere than they do in space. So you would use the range measurements given in the book, and not link anything to the distance of a comlink.
Hope that helps!
Sam Stewart
RPG Manager
Fantasy Flight Games
The information contained in this electronic message is privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the recipient named above. If the reader of the message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
On Apr 20, 2018, at 2:16 PM, [email protected] wrote:
Not really, because the main issue we have is regarding sensors range, and what distances they reach. .
-----Original Message-----
To: Trampgraphics < [email protected] >
Sent: Fri, Apr 20, 2018 10:33 am
Subject: Re: Fantasy Flight Games [Rules Questions] - Star Wars: Edge of the Empire: 2018-03-04 14:00:44

Hello Michael,
In the end, this is something for your GM to decide based on the needs of the story. It’s probably fair to say that comms messages can travel further in space than they can in an atmosphere, but generally the range of comlinks is going to vary wildly based on circumstances, terrain, stellar phenomena, and even a world’s tech level. In most cases, it’s probably sufficient to say that comlinks let you communicate with anyone the plot needs you to communicate with, and if the plot needs someone to be out of touch, then the comlink is out of range.
Hope this helps!
Sam Stewart
RPG Manager
Fantasy Flight Games
On Mar 4, 2018, at 2:00 PM, [email protected] wrote:

Rules Question:
I'm having a rather heated debate with a friend of mine regarding planetary range bands, particularly as they apply to sensors. According to pages 244-245 of the F&D core rules, Close range extends out to "several kilometers", short range out to "roughly several dozen kilometers", Medium out to about fifty Km in atmosphere, and a few hundred Km in space, Long range between one to two hundred Km in atmosphere out to "several thousand" in space, and extreme range even farther out from that. The rules also state that a ship's comms have the same range as a ship's sensors. My friend seems to think, because of a line under personal comlinks stating that some personal comlinks can reach low orbit, all comms can (includind those of starfighters, such as the TIE fighter, and therefore, because comms range = Sensor range,even Close range sensors should be able to reach over 2000 Km (the distance to low earth orbit from the ground). Which one of us is correct? Are Close range sensors only limited to a few kilometers (roughly 10-20 Km or so), as covered by the Planetary Range Bands descriptions on pages 244-245, or do they extend out to 2000 Km as my friend believes?

Edited by Tramp Graphics

Oh, just a little tidbit for anyone who may not have noticed, but there was an error in Fully Operational.

Hi Michael! You’re indeed correct, it should match the others at zero. Good catch and we’ll get it corrected in the next printing.

Tim Huckelbery

RPG Producer

Fantasy Flight Games

[email protected]

Visit us at http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/

Rules Question:
I think I've found an error in the new Fully Operational (FO) book. On page 61 of FO, you list the Autopilot Droid brain as requiring one hard point. However, on page 62 of Fly Casual, the Autopilot Droid Brain and the Astrogation Droid Brain are both listed as requiring ZERO Hard Points. This is also true of the Gunner Droid Brain found on page 68 of Special Modifications.

Edited by Tramp Graphics

Here's another question I was wondering about:

Hi Michael,

It does not apply, and that is intentional.
Hope that helps!
Sam Stewart
RPG Manager
Fantasy Flight Games
On Apr 28, 2018, at 3:37 PM, [email protected] wrote:

Rules Question:
I have a quick question regarding the Wookiee Rage species ability. In the EotE core rules, it says, " Wookiee Rage: When a Wookiee has suffered any wounds, he deals + 1 damage to Brawl and Melee attacks. When a Wookiee is Critically Injured, he instead deals + 2 damage to Brawl and Melee attacks." Now, here's the question. Eote doesn't have the Lightsaber skill as a native skill, but F&D does. If I am playing a Wookie Jedi would the Wookiee Rage ability also apply to the Lightsaber skill in F&D?
On 4/30/2018 at 2:55 PM, Tramp Graphics said:

Wookie

4/5 were spelled right. So close.

Dawn Of Rebellion Errata

Question: "Hi does Formation Tactics (Improved) make the activation of formation tactics a maneuver? as it says Active (maneuver) next to activation on page 113 of Dawn of Rebellion Sourcebook. Or is it a miss print and should be an action still!"

Answer: " Formation Tactics (Improved) should actually be listed as passive on page 101 and 113. We’ll get that corrected in the next reprint. Good catch and thanks for emailing us about it!"

and

Question: " Hi Is the Push Aside Active Incidental as it states on page 115 of Dawn of Rebellion or Passive as the colour code suggests on the actual tree on page 99 of Dawn of Rebellion."

Answer: " It should indeed be Active on the talent tree. We’ll get that corrected in the next reprint as well."

On Episode 115 of the Order 66 Podcast has dev answers about Fully Operational.

Some answers:

Dockyard Expertise : The talent provides a 20% reduction per rank (as per the long text).

Plasma Drill: Takes 1 Hardpoint.

This is a question regarding Droid Brains and combat. I hope this helps!. Thanks again to Tim Huckelbery. I took the liberty to edit the messages for clarity.
TL;DR: Droid Brain may provide Skilled Assistance in combat, but the GM has final say over if assistance is possible in the situation. The example discussed was the Gunnery Droid Brain.

Question:
I have a question regarding Droid Brain's attachment for vehicles. How does a Droid Brain assist during combat? For example, let's take the Gunnery Droid Brain on Special Modifications (page 66). Per description "(...) can be installed on a ship to operate its weapons independently or assist a sentient gunner". How does the Droid Brain assist a Gunner? Does it provide a boost dice as if the Gunner receive the assistance maneuver from a regular PC? Or does it share its Gunnery skills (2 to 4 in Gunnery, depending on the modifications) with the PC? I see a lot of confusion and house ruling in several threads. Thank you!

Answer:
The droid brain can either act on its own, using the information needed for it to create a dice pool, or can assist another character (probably with skilled assistance). A PC can also assist the droid brain as well if desired. So a Gunnery Droid Brain could make a gunnery check on its own, or offer skilled assistance for a character making a gunnery check, and so on (note that the GM has final say, however, over if assistance is possible in the situation). Let me know if this helps out, and thanks for playing!

Follow up:
Thanks for your fast reply. So, here is the thing I don't understand. As far as I understand, Skilled Assistance (EotE p25 and 26) was limited by time and initiative in a structured encounter. As explained, "During combat or structured encounters, when initia­tive and the order in which people act is more impor­tant, assistance can be accomplished by performing the assist maneuver."

Per your answer, the Droid Brain (as initially intended) can provide skilled assistance in combat. However, the GM has the final say if assistance is possible. Is this correct? Thanks for your answer!

Final Answer:
You have it—they can assist, but like all assists the GM can rule that due to the situation it won’t be allowed.

Well, the Manipulate power that adds to Hull Threshold just got a lot better for ships only just over their hull thresholds:

Yes, that is correct.

Hope it helps!

Sam Gregor-Stewart

RPG Manager

Fantasy Flight Games

On Jul 13, 2018, at 4:21 AM, [email protected] wrote:

Rules Question:
In the Manipulate power in Endless Vigil, there is the ability to commit force dice to increase the Hull Threshold of a vehicle or starship that is in engaged range. If the starship was just over it's Hull threshold already, would this enable it to be no longer dead in space? (Though clearly wouldn't remove the critical suffered when it went over it's initial Hull Threshold) Thanks

Alchemical Crafting.
What tools do you need for crafting?
(General and specifically alchemy) and how much does they cost? (Value?)

Do you need a workshop fra Special Modifications that cost tens of thousands to make a Potion or a Talisman???

My GM and the other members of my group believe that you need a workshop no matter what kind of crafting you are making.
But I can not see it in the rules anywhere.

If they are right, then it will be boring to be a crafter until they group it very very very rich and can afford a workshop....

Can you plz help me out here?

1 hour ago, 09/20/Thanos said:

Can you plz help me out here?

To clarify, this thread is NOT for asking question of the devs, as they don't frequent or even look at these forums, but instead is for answers that the devs have provided.

To send a question to the devs, you'll need to click "More' on the title bar at the very top of the page (same line as the FFG icon and News) and select Contact, filling out the necessary fields.

Once you've gotten the answer, you can post the reply here in a format similar to early posts in the thread.

Edited by Donovan Morningfire

with the aid of a kyber crystal would conjure be able to make a lightsaber?

You cannot use Conjure to create a lightsaber.
Hope this helps!
Sam Gregor-Stewart
RPG Manager
Fantasy Flight Games

Edited by Stormbourne

Anyone know how long it takes to get an answer form the new Question-asking Form? I sent in a question(s) almost 2 weeks ago and no response yet.

That depends. When you selected the game system, did you select Edge of the Empire , Age of Rebellion , or Force & Destiny ? If you selected anything other than Edge of the Empire , don’t expect a response. They only seem to answer questions that are labeled EotE questions.

I've gotten plenty FaD questions answered before. Sometimes it takes a while, and I've heard of questions never getting answered, but I've always got mine answered.

6 minutes ago, awayputurwpn said:

I've gotten plenty FaD questions answered before. Sometimes it takes a while, and I've heard of questions never getting answered, but I've always got mine answered.

I usually get mine answered too, and I definitely get responses from the FaD option. But I have also been waiting on an answer for a couple of weeks, it’s possible that preparing for GenCon got in their way, then they are still catching up

I’m at 2 years and waiting on a defence question... however they have changed the rules twice since I asked so it’s a bit moot...

5 minutes ago, Random Bystander said:

I’m at 2 years and waiting on a defence question... however they have changed the rules twice since I asked so it’s a bit moot...

The page generates an email to the appropriate department based on your selection. If you have waited 2 years then either someone never empties their inbox or they decided they couldn’t answer the question and archived it. If you still have a question that hasn’t been answered by their errata then you definitely need to send it again.

I wish they would at least respond to every email even if they couldn’t answer it with an acknowledgement

Edited by Richardbuxton