FFG Developer Answered Questions

By kaosoe, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

This reply from Sam was previously posted on: Question regarding Influence basic power .

The question is regarding the "Social Check Upgrade" of the Influence force power. That is, the upgrade that allows you to add your force dice to the social skills: Coercion, Charm, Deception, Leadership, or Negotiation.

This question was: besides adding Success and Advantages to the roll, do I also have to spend pips on Range, Magnitude and Duration upgrades when using this power?

Hello Paul,

Generally, that control upgrade just boosts the effects of normal social skill checks, so you wouldn’t need other aspects of the power.

However, since the Force has no effects on mechanical beings, you could not use this upgrade to try and convince a droid of something.

Hope this helps!

Sam Stewart
RPG Manager
Fantasy Flight Games

On Jun 12, 2017, at 8:18 AM, [email protected] wrote:

Message from:
Paul M*********

E-mail:
paul.m*********@s*****.com

Rules Question:
Hi FFG, On page 295 of FaD we read: "Control Upgrade: The user gains the ability to enhance his arguments and charisma via the Force." Question: Do Range, Duration and Magnitude "restrictions" apply to this Upgrade, as they do to the other aspects of this power? For example, if you are using this Control Upgrade to improve a Charm check, do you first have to spend pips in order to achieve the required range, duration and number of targets, and then allocate any remaining pips to add successes and advantages to the Charm check? Or does this Upgrade work the same was as similar Upgrades to the Enhance power? If the Range, Duration and Magnitude restrictions do not apply, could it be that the Upgrade can also be used against a droid? Thanks for your help! Paul

This was a follow up question to clarify how to use the Influence "Social Check" Control Upgrade in general, and to confirm its usage in 2 specific cases.

Hi Paul,

Yes, you may, (unless your GM rules that a specific situation doesn’t make sense, of course!).

Hope this helps!

Sam Stewart
RPG Manager
Fantasy Flight Games

On Jun 12, 2017, at 1:25 PM, [email protected] wrote:

Message from:
Paul M*********

E-mail:
paul.m*********@s*****.com

Rules Question:
Hi FFG, On page 295 of FaD we read: "Control Upgrade: The user gains the ability to enhance his arguments and charisma via the Force." Can I use such a force enhanced social check in all situations in which I can use a normal social check? For example, in order to: 1. Influence a large crowd of 1000 people? 2. Influence people over a comm link? Thanks for your help! :) Paul

On 6/10/2017 at 10:22 PM, Tanis Frey said:

How long does an astrogation check take during combat?

Got my Answer:

Hello Todd,

The length of time that an astrogation check takes is set by your GM. Technical Aptitude can reduce that time (as long as your GM approves).
Hope that helps!
Sam Stewart
RPG Manager
Fantasy Flight Games
The information contained in this electronic message is privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the recipient named above. If the reader of the message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
On Jun 11, 2017, at 11:31 PM, [email protected] wrote:
Message from:
Todd Freyburger

Rules Question:
How long does an astrogation check take during combat? How long does an astrogation check take normally? Does the Technical Aptitude affect this time? My group cannot fine this answer in the Edge of Empire, Age of Rebellion or the Force and Destiny core rule books.
Edited by Tanis Frey

Gentleman,

I first posed most of these questions in August of last year on the FFG Website. They went unanswered. I have posed them twice since then. This will be my fourth time seeking answers.

First, a clarification please:

In the Example of Play on Page 11 of the Force and Destiny Core Rulebook is the following snippet:

"Ryan (GM): Absolutely. That’s going to be an Average Perception check to study your surroundings. Normally, I’d add two Setbacks because of the darkness, but since you have a glow rod, I’ll drop that to one Setback.

Diana (Kasuni): And my one rank of the Keen Eyed talent removes that Setback from the pool. (Diana builds a dice pool based on her skill and other factors and rolls.) Let’s see...two Successes & and one Advantage.

Ryan (GM): Nice roll. So, you close your eyes and focus. After a long minute, you feel a slight breeze from the tunnel behind you.

Diana (Kasuni): “Hey, everyone. The way out is that way.” Kasuni feels relieved, so I spend the Advantage to recover one strain."

Ok, nowhere in the description of the Perception skill does it say that you can spend advantage to regain strain. It is listed as an option on Page 212 in Table 6-2 Spending Advantage and Triumph in Combat. But, that scenario did not have the characters in a combat encounter at that time. Since you have printed that in the Core Rulebook, It has been suggested that any of the options on Table 6-2 are available for any skill check you make.

Question:

Is that your intention, or are those options only supposed to be used in combat encounters?

When you are in starship combat, can you still spend extra Advantage to recover Strain? I originally thought no, because it doesn't appear as an option on chart 7-6 on page 243. But, now I question that.

Answer:

Yes, you can spend Advantage to recover strain in any situation.

Follow-up Question:

So, just to clarify, Advantage from any skill check can be spent to recover strain, but none of the other options from Table 6-2 are available when performing a skill check that is not a combat check.

Follow-up Answer:

Those other options are available when they make sense given the situation.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Action vs. Maneuver:

On page 206, it states that "Actions almost always involve performing a skill check". Based on that I have always been of the mindset that if what you want to do requires a skill check it is, or becomes your Action for the round, the level of concentration needed for the skill check elevates it to be an action.

Questions:

Actions almost always involve performing a skill check, but are all skill checks Actions?

Are move Maneuvers that require an Athletics or Coordination checks still Maneuvers, or do they get elevated to Actions?

Are Fly/Drive Maneuvers that require a Pilot check still Maneuvers, or do they get elevated to Actions?

Answers:

Not all skill checks are actions; there are talents that allow you to make skill checks as a maneuver, for example.

If a move maneuver is so dangerous or complicated that it requires an Athletics or Coordination check to resolve, then it should be an action, not a maneuver.

Ditto for Piloting maneuvers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions:

Does an Athletics or Coordination check itself generate movement, or does it determine the actual outcome of move maneuvers that you perform in conjunction with the skill check?

Do the Accelerate, Punch It, and Evasive Action Maneuvers actually generate movement, or do they require a Fly/Drive Maneuver to actually change position?

I could see Evasive Action maybe not generating straight line movement, but it seems silly if when you are Accelerating or Punching It, that neither of those actually moves the craft anywhere. It would seem to make more sense to make those Maneuvers available incidentals that you can use when you are performing the Fly/Drive Maneuver or that the Fly/Drive maneuver is reduced to an incidental when performing either one of those Maneuvers.

Answers:

Making an Athletics or Coordination check can allow the character to change position at the discretion of the GM. Generally, the GM should simply ensure the character does not move further than they could have with two move maneuvers.

Accelerate, Punch It, and Evasive Action maneuvers to not allow the character to change position mechanically (although the ship or vehicle may be making small narrative movements as a part of these maneuvers, which may represent dodging incoming fire or shifting direction).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Move Maneuvers, the Athletics Skill and the Enhance Power:

Normally a move maneuver is used to move closer or further away from an opponent.

One move maneuver to move from Engaged to Short or Short to Medium.

Two move maneuvers to move Engaged to Medium, Medium to Long, or Long to Extreme.

Under normal circumstances, these move maneuvers require no checks to make.

Athletics Skill:

In the Athletics skill description it says: Additional success on an Athletics check can either reduce the time required to make the check or increase the distance traveled with that check.

2 Advantage on an Athletics check may be used to grant the character an additional maneuver during the course of his turn. This maneuver should be one that involves movement or some sort of physical activity.

Enhance Power:

When making an Athletics check, the user may roll an Enhance power check as part of the pool. The user may spend Force Points to gain success or Advantage (his choice) on the check. (Remember, this counts as a normal Force power check in every way—it is simply combined with the overall skill check.)

My understanding this that when you use the basic application of the power it is like using "Force Speed" enhancing the results of your Athletics check from great to spectacular by spending your Force Points to add extra Successes and/or Advantages to your roll.

Force Leap:

When I think of leaping, even horizontally, I think of someone doing a long jump. Even though they are moving horizontally they still have to get some clearance to get where they are going.

I recently made a ruling in one of my gaming sessions that the group's only Jedi could not Force Leap in the confines of a ship's corridors. To get where he wanted to go would have required a 90 degree turn. He wanted to make a Force Leap that would carry him two range bands, but with a 90 degree turn in the middle. I told him that if he wanted to make an Enhance Athletics check, to attempt to run through the corridors, he could. He argued that he shouldn't need to and that he should be able to do it within the scope of the Force Leap. I argued that if that were the case, the basic use of the power would then become obsolete. He argued that he could Force Leap horizontally through the corridor. I argued that (because of the tight corridors) he didn't have the height clearance necessary to make a horizontal "leap" and that he would need to make the Enhanced Athletics check if he wanted to get there in a single maneuver. Because of my ruling, he chose to not act at all.

Questions:

Does the Athletics check itself generate movement, or does it determine the actual outcome of move maneuvers that you perform in conjunction with the Athletics check?

If a character uses extra successes on an Athletics check to increase the distance traveled with that check, does that indicate an increase in the range bands covered by the movement, thus allowing them to close with or escape from an enemy faster?

Can you spend 1 additional success to move from Engaged to Medium, Medium to Long, or Long to Extreme with a single movement?

If so, can you spend 3 additional successes to move from Engaged to Long, or Medium to Extreme with a single movement?

Or Spend 2 additional successes to move some combination of the examples above?

If a character uses extra successes on an Athletics check to reduce the time required to make the check, does that mean that with enough successes, you could potentially have time to perform another action?

Can you spend 1 additional success to reduce that Action to a Maneuver?

If so, can you spend 2 additional successes to reduce that Action to an Incidental?

I know the GM is supposed to have the final call, but was it the right call? Is Force Leap intended to take the place of the basic power?

Once you have all of the upgrades related to Force Leap you are able to perform it as a Maneuver. Is there an option to still use it as an Action?

Some interpret it that they have a choice, and they think that they can do it as an Action, then do it as a Maneuver, then pay 2 strain to do it as a Maneuver again. Leaping from Extreme Range to Long, then Long to Medium, then Medium to Engaged, or the other way around if they were wanting to leave Engaged range.

Is this allowable within the rules?

Answers:

The information about spending additional Successes or Advantages on Athletics checks in the skill description only exists to help GMs interpret the results of skill checks in narrative situations. So you usually cannot use extra successes to close the distance faster in a structured encounter, or perform an action as a maneuver or an incidental.

In regards to your Force Leap question, as the GM you have final say as to whether something makes sense in your game, and we can’t tell you if it was the “right” call or not.

In regards to the second Force Leap question, you may choose to perform it as a maneuver or an action. However, you may not Force Leap into “engaged” range with someone, because engaging someone is a special maneuver you perform while you are at short range from that person. There are specific talents that allow you to engage someone from different ranges, but Force Leap does not do this.

Also, it takes two maneuvers to move from extreme to long range, and long to medium, so unless you had range upgrades, you couldn’t leap from long to medium range. So without range upgrades, you could leap from extreme to “in between extreme and long,” leap again to long, and leap again to “between long and medium.”

Follow-up Questions:

One of the bullet points under Athletics mentions sprinting and later the text states that you can use 2 Advantages to grant an additional (movement related) maneuver. Those would seem to be things usable in a structured encounter. The description of Enhance mentions moving at high speeds. My original thought was that Enhance would allow you to use the additional Successes and Advantages garnered from the Force Dice to be added to an Athletics check to do an effect like a Burst of Speed to run really fast like in Episode 1 when Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan ran away from the destroyer droids. But, if you can't use Athletics that way in a structured encounter, I guess you can't really use Enhance to improve your Athletics to that level either. That really seems to make the basic power useless. If you can't use it to run "at high speeds" in a structured encounter, why would you ever use the basic power once you have Force Leap?

Based on your answer about how the Athletics skill is used, I made the wrong call. In hindsight, I guess that allowing someone to use Force Leap to move in ways besides just leaping would make more sense to represent that kind of raw Force Speed in a structured encounter.

If you are at the level that you can use Force Leap as a maneuver, you have to have already purchased the range upgrade, so leaping from extreme range to long and then long to medium in two Force Leap maneuvers is not going to be and issue. Closing from medium to engaged does however pose an issue if they are not allowed to leap again straight into engaged range.

Since engaging someone is a special maneuver you perform while you are at short range from that person, does someone have to use a special maneuver to disengage from someone and move to short range? Or is it possible Force Leap out of engaged range?

Answers:

There are plenty of times that you may need to make an Athletics check that don’t involve getting from one location to another faster. In addition, Force leap does require you to generate Force Points to succeed (which may require you taking Conflict, strain, and flipping Destiny Points) where Enhance’s base power just improves an existing Athletics check.
Rules as written, you need to disengage as a special maneuver as well. You can always rule that it makes sense to leap out of combat, of course, since that’s the prerogative of Rule Zero as the GM.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question:

How does the Eye for Detail Talent interact with the Double or Nothing talent?

If you are going to apply the Eye for Detail Talent, do you convert any Successes into Advantages before doubling them with the Double or Nothing Talent or after?

Roll yields 4 Successes/4 Advantages.

With Improved Double or Nothing, it would be 8/8.

With 2 ranks of Eye for Detail you choose to convert 2 Successes into additional Advantages.

Do you convert before applying Improved Double or Nothing yielding a final result of 4/12?

Or do you convert after applying Improved Double or Nothing yielding a final result of 6/10?

The wording for Eye for Detail leans toward it being applied first.

Answer:

Eye for Detail would resolve before any version of Double or Nothing in that specific situation.

Edited by Dakkar98

I'm gonna break the normal rules of this thread for just one post and point out how silly it is that leaping into/out of engaged range isn't an option in the RAW or as interpreted by the developers... it's done multiple times in the films, especially in the prequels and forms a very key sequence at the end of Revenge of the Sith, where the two characters are leaping right into and out of combat with one another. (Also if Anakin hadn't lept into engaged range of Count Dooku in episode 2, Obi-Wan would be minced meat.) Only at the end of the fight does that move actually have some consequences and Obi-Wan, in effect, gets an "attack of opportunity" of sorts on Anakin. Up until that point it was just a normal thing any Force Sensitive could do without getting hit by attacks to do it.

So apparently in the RAW, if your adversary is on a small platform floating over lava, so small that leaping onto it would be considered leaping into engaged range & you made the attempt, RAW would say you can't engage them, therefore you can't go that far and you fall into lava at short range and die.

Nothanks, that dev ruling makes little sense. I get the idea that this system doesn't have attacks of opportunity, so the engage/disengage rules are there to make melee combat situations have a cost to them but i'll ignore that ruling for favor of letting my players do cool stuff they've seen in the films. The dev responses tend to change based on the mood de jour anyway, such as with defense and with the idea that you can use "in atmosphere only" vehicles in space but with no mechanical rules on how to make them work in space.

As always, do what works best for your table and may the Force be with you.

You're making the assumption there is some sort of individual overt movement that occurs separate from each movement. Do you envision when someone moves from Medium to Short to Engaged, as they run 200 feet to 21 feet, stop, then run 2 more feet? I'm not going to go back and forth but all the devs ruling is saying is that you still have to use 2 maneuvers.

So you can use a force leap to jump onto that tiny platform your opponent is standing upon. The maneuver to do the leap into Short range and another to drop onto the platform into Engaged. Narrate it as desired.

11 hours ago, GroggyGolem said:

so small that leaping onto it would be considered leaping into engaged range

There's your mistake. This would be short range, not engaged. Distance doesn't necessarily play a role in the difference between the two. Engaging can be just changing your footing, turning around, etc.

Short range is when Anakin leaps onto the platform and then nearly falls off backwards. He becomes engaged with Obi-Wan once he gains his balance and can actually fight him, by spending another maneuver.

Hello Mr. Brophy,

The Linked quality and the autofire quality are basically redundant, as both grant you the ability to gain additional hits by spending Advantage. However, since you have to spend advantage to do so, you can’t cause the effects to “stack.”
As for other active qualities with the blast quality, you can trigger qualities like Burn onto anyone hit by the attack. So you could use Blast to hit an additional target, then trigger Burn to have that target catch on fire. However, the qualities are not multiplicative, so you can’t trigger Burn and have everyone that got hit by Blast get lit on fire.
A successful attack is an attack that hits, i.e. one that generates at least one uncanceled success.
Hope this helps!
Sam Stewart
RPG Manager
Fantasy Flight Games
On Jan 6, 2016, at 8:54 PM, [email protected] wrote:
Message from:
Bob Brophy

Rules Question:
I have questions relating to the interaction and "stacking" of item qualities. 1.) How does the Linked quality interact with the autofire quality (if at all)? Does it stack, or does each use of the quality have to be activated on its own? Example: I use a weapon with Autofire and Linked 1, and declare I am using the autofire quality to allow for multiple hits. I score one success and four advantage. Can I use two advantage to activate autofire, and then use the remaining two advantage to active linked to cause an extra hit to each target previously hit with autofire? 2.) How do other active qualities such as burn, concussive, disorient, etc., stack with the blast quality? Example: I hit with one success and four advantage using weapon that has burn and blast qualities. If I activate blast and burn, does the burn quality apply to all targets that were hit with the blast quality? Or does each instance of burn have to be activated separately? 3.) Does the damage inflicted by the Burn quality include any passive qualities of the weapon where the damage originated from (such as breach on a lightsaber with a Barob Ingot)? 4.) Page 161 of Force and Destiny indicates that active qualities on weapons can only trigger on a successful attack, unless otherwise specified. How is a successful attack defined? Does it only require at least one un-cancelled success? Or does the target also have to take damage (as required to inflict a critical injury or hit on the target)? Thanks! Sincerely, Bob Brophy

The max increase for the Mk III is +8, from the max of 6 additional pouches.

The Mk IV should indicate it can take an additional 3 pouches, for a maximum of +6 encumbrance.
Hope this helps! But of course, each group is free to alter things as they like, and also create new items too. Somewhere out there is the Mk V and Mk VI Modular Backpacks, which I’m sure will be even neater than the ones we’ve done in these books.

Tim Huckelbery
RPG Producer
Fantasy Flight Games
Rules Question:
Clarification requested on text for two pieces of equipment: Star Wars: Force and Destiny Savage Spirits p.46 Mk. III Modular Backpack The RAW reads: The Mk. III modular backpack increases the wearer's Encumbrance threshold by 2, plus an additional 1 point of encumbrance threshold for each accessory pouch added to the backpack (to a maximum increase of 6). In the backpack's description, the prior seemed to indicate that up to 6 pouches to be added. So I'm trying to clarify that about the Mk. III. Some seem to think it is a total of +6 Encumbrance Threshold (2+4 pouches) while others think it should be +8 Encumbrance Threshold (2+6 pouches). The text for the Mk. IV Modular Backpack (Enter the Unknown, p.51) is written differently, reading: The Mk. IV Modular Backpack increases the user's encumbrance threshold by 3, plus an additional 1 point of encumbrance threshold for each accessory pouch to a maximum of 3. Also, in the text description of the Mk. IV Modular Backpack, it didn't specify the number of additional pouches which could be added, just the number of pouches the base pack started with. Any help clarifying this would be much appreciated, as I'm active playing and running Star Wars campaigns for several groups, each having a somewhat different take and it would make things easier and less confusing for me to have all the groups reach a consensus.
I asked Sam this...
Rules Question:
In Star Wars Edge of Empire there is a space combat move called "Gain The Advantage". In the core book, it states that this ends at the end of the following round. It also states that if the opponent tries "Gain The Advantage" afterward, that the difficulty of that check increases. My question is, after successfully completing "Gain the Advantage", if his opponent tries "Gain the Advantage" AFTER that following round, would he still have to increase the difficulty for that check, or does the difficulty reset after "Gain the Advantage" ends? Thank you.
Sam's response:
"Hello,
The difficulty still increases.
Hope this helps!"
On 18/06/2017 at 1:56 AM, GroggyGolem said:

I'm gonna break the normal rules of this thread for just one post and point out how silly it is that leaping into/out of engaged range isn't an option in the RAW or as interpreted by the developers... it's done multiple times in the films, especially in the prequels and forms a very key sequence at the end of Revenge of the Sith, where the two characters are leaping right into and out of combat with one another. (Also if Anakin hadn't lept into engaged range of Count Dooku in episode 2, Obi-Wan would be minced meat.) Only at the end of the fight does that move actually have some consequences and Obi-Wan, in effect, gets an "attack of opportunity" of sorts on Anakin. Up until that point it was just a normal thing any Force Sensitive could do without getting hit by attacks to do it.

So apparently in the RAW, if your adversary is on a small platform floating over lava, so small that leaping onto it would be considered leaping into engaged range & you made the attempt, RAW would say you can't engage them, therefore you can't go that far and you fall into lava at short range and die.

Nothanks, that dev ruling makes little sense. I get the idea that this system doesn't have attacks of opportunity, so the engage/disengage rules are there to make melee combat situations have a cost to them but i'll ignore that ruling for favor of letting my players do cool stuff they've seen in the films. The dev responses tend to change based on the mood de jour anyway, such as with defense and with the idea that you can use "in atmosphere only" vehicles in space but with no mechanical rules on how to make them work in space.

As always, do what works best for your table and may the Force be with you.

Also apologies for drawing further off topic but Hawkbat Swoop is the talent you are looking for thst covers being able to leap into engaged, the ability is in the game ,just not under Enhance:Leap

Question regarding Obligation. Sam's answer reinforces the clarification in the Force and Destiny GM chapter regarding any starting rewards from Duty/Obligation/Morality, and as such would obviously apply to Duty reductions as well as Obligation increases.

Like we have heard from the beginning, these games are designed to work together, and the rules from various game lines don't contradict each other.

Rules Question:
It's been my understanding that increasing Obligation can give a character a maximum of +10 XP and/or 2,500 credits, if a character starts with enough Obligation (e.g. someone with 20 Obligation can take 20 more to get a *maximum* of +10 XP and +2,500 credits). But a friend is telling me that if I start with e.g. 15 Obligation, I can increase it by 15 to get +15 XP or +3500 credits (10 + 5 XP, or 2500 + 1000 credits). This doesn't seem correct. Can I get both +5 XP and +10 XP with increased Obligation, and thereby increase my starting XP by 15? Thanks in advance.
Answer:
You are correct, you can’t take the +5 and the +10 options.
Hope this helps!
Sam Stewart
RPG Manager
Fantasy Flight Games

FWIW:

Rules Question:

In Endless Vigil, the Engine Boosting System podracer modification is listed as needing 2 hard points in the text on p. 58, but the table on p. 59 says 1 hard point. Which is correct, 1 or 2? Thanks!

Answer:
Hi Robert! The table is correct, it should be 1 HP for it.

Hope this helps and thanks for playing!

Tim Huckelbery
RPG Producer
Fantasy Flight Games

Legitimately forgot I sent this question. I wonder what prompted it...

Concerning the Foresee power and certain upgrades: the magnitude upgrade allows the user to target other characters. Does this apply to only the control upgrade (which affects initiative checks), or does it work with the basic power as well? And if a character uses the initiative control upgrade to affect multiple other characters, and the user spends 3 Force points to add 3 successes, do all characters get the benefits, or just one character?

It does not affect the basic power, because the basic power specifically emphasizes that it reveals hints about their own, personal future. When they use the initiative control upgrade combined with magnitude, they may spend Force Points to add successes to a single check, not all checks.
Hope this helps!
Sam Stewart
RPG Manager
Fantasy Flight Games

Some clarity around Ebb/Flow.

On Jun 17, 2017, at 11:43 PM, [email protected] wrote:
Message from:
Bob Brophy

Rules Question:
Hello! I have a question related to the Ebb/Flow Force Power in Disciples of Harmony. If I make an Ebb/Flow Force power check, and I fail the underlying skill check I attached it to, can I still use the Force Pips generated to activate the Basic or Upgraded powers (such as recovering strain or adding success/advantage to subsequent skill checks) of this Force Power? Or is the power deemed to have failed completely per the rule for combined skill checks on pp 280 and 281 of the F&D Core rule book? Thanks!

Hello Bob,

You may spend the Force Points, because the power does not specify that the check needs to succeed.
Hope this helps!
Sam Stewart
RPG Manager
Fantasy Flight Games

sstewart%40fantasyflightgames.com?at=AF6bupO12Djm3YtZsZ9n2uNhD9GupSPX2g&sz=100&pld=1
Samuel Stewart
to me
16 hours ago
Details
Hello David,
As long as your GM is fine with it, yes. We see this in the Clone Wars cartoon, after all.
Hope this helps!
Sam Stewart
RPG Manager
Fantasy Flight Games
On Jun 16,

Rules Question:
When playing with a species which has for arms, can the duel use 2 handed weapons? For example can a Besalisk use two pike sabers, like the temple guards use? Or a pair of double lightsabers? Or can a besalisk gunslinger use two riffles?

Rules Question:
When attacking a vehicle with personal scale weapons , is it necessary to inflict a full point of hull trauma on the vehicle in order to trigger a critical hit on the vehicle , or if the personal skill attack does manage to bypass the armor value with a single point of personal scale damage is that sufficient for triggering a critical hit ?

Hi 2P51,

The latter; a critical hit triggers if the damage exceeds the target’s soak value. In the latter case, this has occurred, even if the damage is not enough to inflict a point of hull trauma.
Hope this helps!
Sam Stewart
RPG Manager
Fantasy Flight Games

Makes sense to me :) Vindication!

Questions about Cybernetics, Droids, Armor vs ION damage quality:

It is stated that Ion affects cybernetics and droids, but how does it happen (in mechanic sense)? I Can't find full clear answer on that in rulebooks, so just to make things clear:

1. Does Ion instantly disable all cybernetics that are in range of blast or are hit by Ion?
About Cybernetics (EotE 173): "If hit by weapons that normally would affect droids, the cybernetic enhancement temporarily stops working for the scene or until repaired" but...
2. Does Ion instantly disable all droids that are in range of blast or are hit by Ion?
Why do we need damage numbers then? If we need them, how is that in comparisment to "instant disbaling of cybernetics"?
3. Do I need to get through soak to achieve this "disabled" effect/is soak "considered" when calculating damage on target which is affected by Ion damage?
4. Does 1 hit (for example from rifle) affect all cybernetics or just 1?
5. Do I need to apply damage to cybernetic limb (like 4x Sunder) to disable it?
Maybe I just apply the Ion damage type to cybernetics like:
for example 11 Ion damage (treated like Sunder for cybernetics purpose) = 4 damage to cybernetic leg (destroyed/disabeld), 4 damage to cybernetic eyes (destroyed/disabled), 3 damage to cybernetic hand (almost destroyed, barely functional)
6. What are the ways to defend against Ion?
I know there is (SM 50) Surge Override Switch ( cybernetics), there is a special talent (need ref), but they are options to "restart the cybernetics".
Is there some "screening" that player can do/buy, to make cybernetics fully resistant to Ion (some cybernetics are resistant so there is a way...)
7. Does Ion affect Armor and its upgrades - like optical camuflage or night vision googles?
8. Does wearing an armor with Vacuum sealed gives any protection for cybernetics in users body?

I looked a lot for answers on this subject, but all I found were some home rules and some uncertian answers, so please help.
Please state if something is not set in stone and should be left for home rules.
Kind regards.
Thanks for the help in advance.

Edited by PatentMC

You're gonna need to click the little "Contact" link at the bottom of the page. This thread is used for questions you've already asked the developers and gotten a response on. The developers don't post on the forums so the best way to contact them is through that link.

Thanks, I do that.

4 hours ago, PatentMC said:

Thanks, I do that.

I'd also recommend you make a new thread with your questions here on the forums. The people here might be able to help you sift through the questions and point you towards relevant source material.

In some talent trees, it is possible to gain the Improved or Supreme version of a talent without ever getting the base talent that they build upon. Would these just be 'dead talents', taking XP but providing no benefit? Something else? Have you got a suggestion for a houserule that's reasonable, if so?
The Smuggler's Gambler tree from Fly Casual is maybe the most painful example, where it's impossible to get Dedication without getting Double or Nothing (Supreme), but the base Double or Nothing is way on the other side of the tree, at the very bottom.
Related question: Double or Nothing and Double or Nothing (Improved) both double only positive symbols left after a check (Advantages and Successes, respectively). Double or Nothing (Supreme), however, doubles the amount of Despair symbols as well as Triumph symbols. So, if one has, say, Double or Nothing and Double or Nothing (Supreme), could they elect not to use the Supreme upgrade (since, unlike the base talent, it has a potential grievous drawback) when using Double or Nothing?
Answers by Sam Stewart:
If you take the Improved or Supreme version of a talent without the base version of the talent, usually you cannot use those talents (it depends on the talent in question, but usually the Improved and Supreme versions modify the regular talent).
To the Gambler tree, we intentionally designed it so that if you take the shortcut to get Dedication, you end up purchasing a talent that you can’t immediately use. It’s something of a “tax” on an otherwise easier-to-access dedication. There is nothing stopping you from purchasing the basic version of the power later and then making use of Supreme Double or Nothing, of course.
To your question about Double or Nothing; as written, you must use the Supreme upgrade if you have purchased it. The talent is designed to follow in the spirit of the regular and improved version, where you increase the difficulty but get to double the number of Advantages or Successes after the results are cancels. The increase in difficulty means that you increase the risk that your Advantages and Successes are canceled before you get a chance to use them. However, since Triumph and Despair don’t cancel each other, the best way to represent that added risk was to double both results.