Threat From the East Bay

By dormouse, in 7. AGoT Metagame Discussions

Chaos,

I could make it to Game Kastle this Saturday morning, say from 9-12 or so. Would you or anyone else be available then?

JMcCarthy

I should be able to do that...

Email me at [email protected] if you want to discuss further...

As sad is it may be, I think the Threat meta is officially on life-support. llorando.gif

But wait there's more...the remaining members of Threat have scoured the landscape to recruit additional bannermen for their cause and were quite successful. Our NEW meta is still in its early stages but I'm hopeful that although divided geographically, we will unite and rise again to become the prominent West-coast play group.

-- All we need now is a new name (something to represent the entire Bay Area) and a new thread for our new members. Any ideas?

Blackwater Bay-Area?

Wardens of the West-Coast?

Here are some bays in ASoIF, which may provide some help:

Slaver's Bay

Ironman's Bay

Bay of Seals

Bay of Ice

Bay of Crabs

Blackwater Bay

Shipbreaker Bay

That's all the Bays I could think of. Any others?

I don't know any of the old cards, so I just did a Tzumainn search for "West." As an added bonus, the cards that inspired the names also have relevant text:

Westwatch-by-the-Bridges (card generates "Recruits")

Western Heir (card comes back from the dead)

~ West Coast Bleeds (no explanation necessary; I'm not suggesting it, just couldn't help noticing the irony...)

Great suggestions! I like the idea of "Ironman's Bay Area - The NorCal Meta" for the title of our new thread. What do you guys think?

...or should we claim all of CA as our meta?!?! (since the SoCal meta is also on life support)

** Ironman's Bay Area - THE California Meta **

Thoughts?

I was thinking of "The Ironman's Bay Area" as well. It sounds like an Ironman Triathalon, which, according to wiki, is:

An Ironman Triathlon is one of a series of long-distance triathlon races organised by the World Triathlon Corporation (WTC) consisting of a 2.4 miles (3.86 km) swim, a 112 miles (180.25 km) bike and a marathon (26 miles 385 yards, 42.195 km) run, raced in that order and without a break.

I don't know what the Game of Thrones equivalent of that is. Driving from far away locations (such as Brentwood), playing Thrones, and then driving back?

Check www.TowerOfTheHand.com for the geography of Westeros or Houses etc.

Personally I'd suggest rather than a local a group. I think The Orphans is a good name. The collection of the remaining bay area metas forging a new path forward. Like the Orphans of Nymeria's forces when she burned the ships to signal there was no going back.

What about Refugees of the West or West Coast or something with our geographic location in it to help new players locate us. I like the Orphan idea but maybe we could modify it to include something about CA, the Bay Area or the West Coast or something. Thoughts?

-- CaliCon Feeler --

Ok people, if you are out there, we need to get something organized. I want to try and schedule a BIG event with FFG (in hopes they will be able to support it) but I am reluctant to do so without at least a guestimate of attendance. Here are the people I am thinking may be interested and I would like to hear from:

JMcCarthy
ArmaVirmque + guest (Jeff?)
Dr. Cornelius + south bay crew
Deathjester26 + socal crew (if there are any left?)
Khaleesi (if you're out there, drop us a line)
Freerider (ditto)
Kevdawg
MaesterLuke (i heard you wanted to visit)
Syd

and anyone else out there in California who is interested in a attending a legitimate AGoT tourney with prizes and tons of fun oh and lets not forget the Maester's Challenge! Don't be shy, I need to know who is interested so I can get this thing organized ASAP. gran_risa.gif

Sheesh, is it true? I stop playing for a while and our old meta revives without us even being involved? Are people actually playing at Game Kastle again? If so I might actually convince Jen to start playing again (assuming we can scrap up the money to collect some of the cards we missed)

Of course if anyone wants to play down in Santa Cruz that would be even better. Glad to see you guys still playing and new players as well.

Freerider said:

Sheesh, is it true? I stop playing for a while and our old meta revives without us even being involved? Are people actually playing at Game Kastle again? If so I might actually convince Jen to start playing again (assuming we can scrap up the money to collect some of the cards we missed)

Of course if anyone wants to play down in Santa Cruz that would be even better. Glad to see you guys still playing and new players as well.

Dr. Cornelius is driving the meta at Game Kastle right now. He's got a list of people that he emails weekly with an invitation to play, usually on Thursday nights. The meta is small, but it's growing. I make it out once or twice a month, and usually it's been just Dr. Cornelius and me. But last week we played a melee with a third player that I hadn't met before. And I saw an email RSVP from a fourth player who committed to be there tonight. And Samantha (store employee) has said she's going to join us some night. So that's at least five players with connections to the store and an expressed willingness to play (at least occasionally) on weeknights.

EDIT - Cha0s, I'm not ignoring your post. I'm trying to get some details on my August schedule before I respond. (You're talking about August, right? Or should I not assume that?)

FYI: I can't do the weekend of August 15th and 16th. I'm fine with anything else.

Send me an email if you would like to join the Game Kastle AGOT mailing list. My email provider is gmail and my username is freewheelin.

Can you tell I am paranoid about spam...

-Scott

Arma virumque said:

EDIT - Cha0s, I'm not ignoring your post. I'm trying to get some details on my August schedule before I respond. (You're talking about August, right? Or should I not assume that?)

Actually, I was thinking of something in early Sept. The main reason is so we dont conflict with GenCon (the world championship event in August) I think we have better chance of getting prize support from FFG after their big hoorah is complete.

How does September look, particularly the 1st or 2nd week? Any conflicts there?

I don't think I can do Labor Day weekend, but I'll have to check on that.

I'm probably available on Saturday the 12th or Saturday the 19th (but not Saturday the 5th).

Freerider said:

I'm down in Santa Cruz as well, would be cool to play some CoC or AGOT with someone (although I'm much better at the former so far).

Amante said:

I'm down in Santa Cruz as well, would be cool to play some AGOT

PERFECT! Now Freerider and Khaleesi have somebody to help them brush the rust off. You should all get together in the coming month and practice, practice and practice...so then you will be ready for CaliCon in September! (and you could even carpool)

Sorry haven't played COC since before it realeased back during play-testing and frankly I don't plan to try out any new games anytime soon. But if you wanna play some Game of Thrones sometime I could almost certainly find some time. Feel free to drop me an email at [email protected] or even give me a call on my cell anytime after 5pm on weekdays or anytime on the weekend.

I warn you though I still don't have the Core Set or any Chapter packs newer than Calling the Banners yet so I can't help you practice for LCG until I pick some up. Still be fun to play whatever though.

And Chaos if you're at all hoping Jen and I can make Cali-Con this year Labor Day weekend will not work for us. Just so you know.

Freerider said:

And Chaos if you're at all hoping Jen and I can make Cali-Con this year Labor Day weekend will not work for us. Just so you know.

As of now I am planning on having it the weekend of Sat. (9-12) and Sun. (9-13) ....and the reason behind it is so you two will have the opportunity to be there. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Also just to hype it up a bit, I spoke with FFG and they are going to hook our tourney up this year with fantastic prizes including poker chips, chapter packs, art prints, collectible pins, card sleeves, storyline voting pamphlets and even our very own "CaliCon 2009" Banner!!! Woot. gran_risa.gif

This years tourney is going to ROCK!

Sounds like a great time is in the works. Does anyone know if Blacksword is still playing and might show with his son? We now are proud parents of my 11 year old daughter who wants to learn the game as soon as we dig cards out of our closet.

Oh, and what sets do you guys consider "standard" at this point, or in September anyway?

Khaleesi said:

We now are proud parents of my 11 year old daughter who wants to learn the game as soon as we dig cards out of our closet.

Congratulations! Very exciting for you both and of course kids are welcome at my place...assuming we are at my place one of the days.

As far as Black Sword I have not heard anything but I am sure he is lurking around these boards somewhere...

Oh and for the "standard" cards, we will be using LCG only format (meaning everything in the core set, clash of arms CP, ravens CP, kings landing CP and of course the newest addition, GJ expansion. The reason for this is that we will have approx. 6-8 newer players that only have LCG cards and just learned the game in that format.

Syd may be in charge of putting together a Cube draft which would utilize many/most of the old power cards from the earlier sets. It should be fun for both new and old players. Hope to see you there!