Threat From the East Bay

By dormouse, in 7. AGoT Metagame Discussions

RJM said:

Hi guys. :-) I'm about as far from CA as I can get over here in FL. But this thread being perpetually stuck as un-read was starting to drive me nuts! Here's hoping a new post fixes it. Word.

Lol... actually this thread has been quite active lately.

If you want to revive a thread, go show the SoCal thread some love!! gran_risa.gif

So what's the deal with Kubla? Is anyone planning on going? Is threat going to run something? Is it worth my time to buy tickets and drive up there? I'd like to go, but if there's not going to be any AGoT, I really have no reason to.

Arma virumque said:

Do you know what store they used to play at? Game Kastle is the only store I've found in the valley that carries AGoT.

Game Kastle was it, and before that it was a shop in Santa Cruz that I cannot remember... Freerider would remember...

Deathjester26 said:

So what's the deal with Kubla? Is anyone planning on going? Is threat going to run something? Is it worth my time to buy tickets and drive up there? I'd like to go, but if there's not going to be any AGoT, I really have no reason to.

Rings posted in the STM thread that he's planning on attending (I thought you posted there as well). I will be there on Friday evening, Sunday and maybe Monday, but I don't think there will be any Thrones unless Rings is running something.

Black Sword said:

Arma virumque said:

Do you know what store they used to play at? Game Kastle is the only store I've found in the valley that carries AGoT.

Game Kastle was it, and before that it was a shop in Santa Cruz that I cannot remember... Freerider would remember...

I met with the owner of Legends of Comics & Games at Vallco yesterday and talked up AGoT. He recently started carrying Call of Cthulu LCG, so there's a possibility he could be persuaded to carry AGoT as well.

He also mentioned that he's thinking of getting some extra space for on-site gaming. (Anyone who lives in the area knows that space at Vallco right now is dirt cheap...)

If anything actually happens, I'll post here again.

Black Sword said:

Deathjester26 said:

Rings posted in the STM thread that he's planning on attending (I thought you posted there as well). I will be there on Friday evening, Sunday and maybe Monday, but I don't think there will be any Thrones unless Rings is running something.

Unfortunately I will be unable to attend Kubla this year, :( I will be out of town both Friday and Saturday.

As a result I think the best bet of getting something organized is Rings (sorry to throw you under the bus bro). Alternatively, I know dornouse has also expressed some interest in hosting a Thrones event.

Oh and don't forget about CaliCon ! We are planning some great things for this year, stay tuned.

Hmmm....

I really have no reason to attend Kublacon unless there's something for AGoT there. Keep me posted. If anyone decides to run something I'll make the drive up.

I just wanted to Rep our DEMO DAYS coming up this weekend!

This Saturday (4/4) and Sunday (4/5) at Black Diamond Games in Concord the Threat meta will be hosting A Game of Thrones from 12 noon to 4pm .

Anyone interested in trying the game out is welcome (we will have demo decks for you to test), even existing players who love the game are welcome to show up and offer their expertise as a resource (while taking part in the fun). Snacks and drinks will be provided and prizes will be awarded to winners of the Melee.

See you there!

SUCCESS!

Our first ever DEMO DAYs yielded 3 new players. Our strategy of having the game available to passersby who expressed interest in learning worked like a charm. (Was there ever any doubt?)

David was the first victim. He is Syd's brother-in-law and probably would have ended up playing the game eventually, but I count him as a product of the event anyways.

Craig actually had purchased the Core Set recently and just needed someone to help him with the rules. He will, most likely, be a regular on Wednesdays.

and finally Adam who immediately connected with the game and wants to play but is unemployed and cash strapped. He may be available for Wednesday game night as well. (though he will need to borrow a deck)

Thanks to all our loyal players (Syd) who helped to put this together and to BDG for having us!

Awesome guys!

Calicon is going to freakin' rock this year.

Ok guys we need to start getting organized so we can hold some hedge tournies as well as storyline events. Joedog what is the status of your Nights Watch application?

Hello out there.... Does anybody still read this thread?!?!

If you are out there lurking fine, but please post here if you read this just so I know I'm not alone. gui%C3%B1o.gif

I read it! Not that that helps you much... I almost never get over to the East Bay.

I read it.... when you guys post!

Calicon!!!!!!!!!!

I read it. I work in Hayward and live on the Peninsula, but I rarely make it farther East than Hayward.

Of course I do.

Thanks, I was beginning to wonder where everyone had gone. preocupado.gif

Hey McCarthy, have you ever made it out to Endgame in Oakland? Dormouse lives in Oakland and I will gladly drive out to meet you guys. I remember Black Sword used to visit Endgame fairly often, maybe we could track him down?!?!

I haven't, but I find myself in Oakland a couple times a month, actually. I work in Hayward as an attorney, and many trials and court appearances are in Oakland. This week I'll be in Alameda a couple days, so I could try and hang around or make it out to Oakland sometime... that's much more achievable than making it out to Concord.

I don't have too many cards, so my decks are still 45 cards. I'm hoping to expand them to 60 by the time the King's Landing expansion is finished.

I'm definitely up for some games in Oakland, be it a game shop or cafe. drop me a line if you want to play sometime. (remove all spaces) da mon. ston e@ gm ai l .c om

Arma virumque said:

I almost never get over to the East Bay.

Hey Arma, where do you game? I don't make it to the peninsula that often but I have driven to the south bay in the past for thrones...

When are you available? Maybe we could coordinate something with dormouse and mccarthy? Our meta has dwindled to just myself, dormouse and one other player (who coincidently will be gone the next 2 weeks) and so it will be just dormouse and myself....we need more players! gran_risa.gif

What do you think?

My gaming so far has all been housebound, except when I drove up to Kubla to meet the crew there for the LCG tournament.

I know of two game stores in the South Bay. Legends of Comics and Games (in Vallco) doesn't have a dedicated gaming area, although the owner has told me he would like to lease one. I'm not holding my breath. The Game Kastle (right by the San Jose airport) has a few tables for gaming, but it's not a lot of room.

I'm posting from out of town right now. [Waves to the Chicago meta -- not that any of them are reading this thread...] When I fly back into San Jose tomorrow, I plan to stop by the Game Kastle, and I'll see what I can find out about open table space -- how much they have, which nights of the week, etc. I'll let you know what I find out.

I also found a thread at the Game Kastle forums where a couple of people posted that they were looking for people to play LCG with. I think I'll follow up with them to see if they're still interested. Again, I'll keep you posted.

I'll send you a friend invite to facilitate PM'ing. Aren't you the guy whose wife won the Standard tournament at Kubla? If so, you'll have to tell me how you got her to play -- that would be like finding the Holy Grail, or something equally momentous....

Arma virumque said:

Aren't you the guy whose wife won the Standard tournament at Kubla? If so, you'll have to tell me how you got her to play

There's lots of bribery with department stores and spending envolved..... gran_risa.gif

Arma virumque said:

Aren't you the guy whose wife won the Standard tournament at Kubla? If so, you'll have to tell me how you got her to play -- that would be like finding the Holy Grail, or something equally momentous....

Yep, thats me. Its actually not that impressive of a story because she really likes the game (though she is not yet comfortable with her nerdiness and so she tries to fein indifference), she has read all the books and enjoys the company of the Thrones community (since everyone is pretty kick-@$$)...

...Oh and as deathjester has already alluded to, Nordstrom shopping trips (my wallet cringes preocupado.gif every time I say those words) are a valuable bargaining chip.

Good news! I discovered a tiny LCG meta down here in the South Bay. It sounds like they don't get together every week, but when they do play, it's usually on a Thursday night. There's only three guys, but the ringleader mentioned that he's been trying to recruit other players among his friends.

They coordinate by email, so I'll PM you with the email address of the guy that I communicated with. Same offer to anyone else who wants to be on the email list.

... do I smell Calicon a cookin'?

Any dates yet? I'm going crazy without any Thrones.

Arma virumque said:

Good news! I discovered a tiny LCG meta down here in the South Bay. It sounds like they don't get together every week, but when they do play, it's usually on a Thursday night. There's only three guys, but the ringleader mentioned that he's been trying to recruit other players among his friends.

They coordinate by email, so I'll PM you with the email address of the guy that I communicated with. Same offer to anyone else who wants to be on the email list.

Fantastic! I am not sure how the logistics will work trying to get down there on weeknights but maybe we could arrange something on the weekends. *fingers crossed

Deathjester26 said:

... do I smell Calicon a cookin'?

Any dates yet? I'm going crazy without any Thrones.

Patience young Padawan. Soon enough, Calicon, here will be! --- But ummm no dates yet, I need to get Rings' finalized plans for his NW regional. As of now Syd and I are thinking mid-to-late July!?!?!

Any conflicts there?