Threat From the East Bay

By dormouse, in 7. AGoT Metagame Discussions

From San Leandro to Fairfield, from Berkeley to Brentwood, and everything in driving distance.

IF you are into A Game of Thrones in Northern California this is the place for you.

We meet Wednesday nights at Black Diamond Games in Walnut Creek from 6 to 10pm.

~...what about San Diego? Just because we're in SoCal, and it's an 8 hr drive, we're not invited? happy.gif

With any luck, I'll be there this wednesday. I'm in town, and need some AGoT in my life bad.

I'm actually headed to the store now. Hope to get a game in with you.

**** that felt good!!!

Thanks guys for letting me crash your party and hang out. I feel complete now that I've had some AGoT in my life. You guys rock!!

Nice grab on your avatar picture. I wanted to use Bronn too but that would be weird -- so John Snow is a close second. ;)

So is there another Tourny coming up?

A tourney or league play would be great. I'm itching for some Thrones.

What's more important? Buying your first home, or playing Thrones? ~Some people need to sort out their priorities! Lol!

If you fellas ever do set up a tournament on a weekend day, like a Saturday, I might be able to make it out there. In the meantime, I'm working on starting a meta here on the Peninsula. We (myself and one other player) will be having our first game soon. Viva la Thrones.

I think we should get a tourney started up sometime soon. I'll talk to the gang on Wednesday.

Just a head's up that i am planning on being at Kubla this year. if no one else does, I will put on the tourneys. You guys complete me...

Just dropping in to say hey. Man I miss playing with you guys. Things mostly suck here in Phoenix: wife in SF finishing school, job that sucks, and no AGoT:( I have not played since Kubla. Also, I'm super miffed that no place around here has any of the chapter packs. I really wish I could actually hold some of the cards I helped play test. (did you guys ever get any hard copies sent from FFG for playtesting?) Well, sounds like you guys are still going strong. Hope all is well in the EB. Talk to you later.

B

So I just checked out the KublaCon web site and saw that there is an AGOT tournament on the schedule. Is that a sure thing, or is it tentative depending on participation?

I've never been to a gaming convention, and have no idea what to expect. Can someone paint me a picture? What can a non-competitive player hope to do / learn / see / play if he goes but hasn't signed up for any of the scheduled games?

The events on the online schedule that have blue boxes next to them are from last year (as is the case with the AGoT events on the current schedule).

However, last I heard, the guys from the Bay Area or rings are planning on running something.

As for what to expect, expect to have a great time! For AGoT it doesn't really matter if you pre register for the events or not. There's no maximum to the number of players allowed, so anyone who shows up is welcome. If you're into other games on the schedule, you may need to pre register as they can fill up, but that varys by game.

I'm not sure how many AGoT events there will be over the weekend, what formats there will be, or how many days you're planning on attending, but we'll play many pick up games just for fun. We're a friendly bunch, and more than willing to help you out with anything you might need.

Personally, I'm planning on going the entire weekend. Between rings, the Threat guys, and myself,hopefully we'll get several events going.

Keep checking these boards, and we'll keep you posted with what's being planned, where to meet up for hanging out etc.

Thanks. I look forward to hearing more. If I can attend, it'll probably be sometime Saturday, as I'm all booked up the other days.

I recognize rings, but who are "the Threat guys"? And does the name refer to anything other than the title of this thread?

The "Threat" guys are the players that currently play in the East SF Bay Area. They meet at Black Diamond games in Concord, but I'm not sure which night. This thread is where they post up coming events etc. They play regularly, but I haven't seen them much on the boards lately.

Good to hear you'll be free saturday. Even if we only manage to throw together one event, it'll probably be on that day.

The name comes from an old Agenda "Threat from the East." So we took the name to match the East Bay which, as Deathjester26 said, is where we play.

It has nothing to do with our penchant for threatening to burn our opponents collections if they beat us. ;)

dormouse said:

It has nothing to do with our penchant for threatening to burn our opponents collections if they beat us. ;)

That's your story and you're sticking to it, huh? ;-)

I get the impression these metagame thread names are all carryovers from the old boards, where it looks like a lot of effort went into finding the perfect name!

Very true. We had four or five names we had narrowed it down to before we settled on Threat from the East Bay.

Was there ever a consistent meta in Silicon Valley or the Peninsula? If so, did they ever come up with a name?

I'm on the Peninsula, but there isn't much of a meta here that I know of. I've been trying to teach the game to other people, but most of them are outside this area. Creating a meta name for myself seems a bit... weird.

there did used to be a Santa Clara/San Jose meta. When I moved from Sacramento they were the only meta in the Bay. They more or less fell apart abut two years ago. Sad they had some really good players and deck builders among them.

jmccarthy said:

Creating a meta name for myself seems a bit... weird.

LOL. Now you've got me searching Tzumainn for an appropriate single-player meta name. How about "Stalwart Defender?" If only you were a little farther south, you could be "Defender of the (Silicon) Vale"....

dormouse said:

there did used to be a Santa Clara/San Jose meta. When I moved from Sacramento they were the only meta in the Bay. They more or less fell apart abut two years ago. Sad they had some really good players and deck builders among them.

Do you know what store they used to play at? Game Kastle is the only store I've found in the valley that carries AGoT.

Hi guys. :-) I'm about as far from CA as I can get over here in FL. But this thread being perpetually stuck as un-read was starting to drive me nuts! Here's hoping a new post fixes it. Word.