Group Positive Thinking

By SolennelBern, in Runebound

I have put myself on new game strike. Is won't buy another new game (an addon isn't a new game) until they announce RB3e......

You're in for a world of pain good sir :P

Edited by SolennelBern

I have put myself on new game strike. Is won't buy another new game (an addon isn't a new game) until they announce RB3e......

Considering FFG's business model, I don't think that's a very effective boycott :P

+1 on this thread, would love to see this done as either a reprint or a new edition.

DungeonQuest revised edition... DAMMIT!

Is it a sign, an omen of doom, a carrot on a stick?

DungeonQuest revised edition... DAMMIT!

Is it a sign, an omen of doom, a carrot on a stick?

Can't it be all three?

Seriously though, between RB and DQ I would've expected to see a new edition of RB. So, the fact that they're making a new edition of DQ is certainly promising regarding the odds of a new RB.

On the other hand, between DQ, BL2 and D2E they might feel there's enough product going into Terrinoth for now and lay off for a while...

Just gotta stay positive, eh Sol? :P

Definitely count me in if a petition happens! I've been scouring the web for that game, but I can't justify paying $100.00 OR MORE for just the core game!

I'm predicting that a revised edition will be announced this year (November).

At this point it's beyond doubt that it will make a return... but will it be the same?

I hope this works as a campaign system for descent, although it will have to lose a movement icon to fit the descent 2nd edition terrain encounters. Could it also be a campaign system for battlelore?

FFG's new editions have been going for a more thematic approach, which has been a good direction.

On the other hand, between DQ, BL2 and D2E they might feel there's enough product going into Terrinoth for now and lay off for a while...

Indeed, after all, with Relic, Death Angel and Horus Heresy, it's not like Fantasy Flight Games would release a warhammer 40K based card game... that would be too much :P

However, I realize that Dungeon Quest, Descent and Runebound are "kind" of similar games. So FFG may decide not to expand their "exploration type" game too much.

Relic, Death Angel, Horus Heresy and the upcoming Conquest have nothing in common mechanically.

However, having played Mage knight produced by Wizkids recently, I am dying to play Runebound especially as a solo experience.

Hi all,

I am readying the petition, the letter, and I'm even going to phone - and international rates are expensive. But, I think we can do this folks! I would like to ask for the next two weeks for everyone here who has stated that she/he will sign the petition to get the word out to gamer friends/acquaintances/enemies who are not registered on FFG but who you think would like to play Runebound to create an account and add their voices here.

Also, when you see other threads about a reprint, PLEASE direct the poster to this thread? I really think it would be a good strategy to have a huge thread to show to FFG.

I really have a LOT of faith that this can happen.

What I will do also is post the letter I will send to FFG here first for community approval and suggestions for editing before I send it to FFG. By then I will have the petition site set up as well.

Best,

Vlad

I would say it like this - if FFG will make Runebound 3e it would have to be very, very different then 2e. Why? becouse 2e was not the best adventure game in it's times and now it's a little bit to old. They could do more for this game and change it into a good direction. Looking how successful LCG are and the idea of mixing it with a board game this could take the game into a different direction. A board game with a good card mechanic maybe similar to the WFRP 3e with more then one variant of play would be a very interesting. Custom dice would also make it in plus but they should not be the main mechanic. Adding variant to play solo/co-op or player vs player would make it even better. Setting the game in Terrinoth gives FFG full control of the universe and a free hand to create many content.

If Runebound 3e would be just a upgraded 2e it would be boring and dissapointing from my perspective. The market changed and there's a lot of other great adventure games even in FFG library.

So it all depends on how FFG would make such a game look like,

Cheers

If Runebound 3e would be just a upgraded 2e it would be boring and dissapointing from my perspective. The market changed and there's a lot of other great adventure games even in FFG library.

So it all depends on how FFG would make such a game look like,

I agree that making RB3e a slightly modified version of RB2e would be disappointing. Fortunately that's not FFG's style, generally speaking. When they release a new edition of something, they usually have more than just superficial changes to make. That said, I've noticed FFG has started popping out "revised editions" of a few games which are exactly that, so here's hoping they don't try for RB2e "revised edition."

Where we part ways, however, is in the idea that RB2e was not a good adventure game. I liked (and still like) RB2e just the way it is. I think it's got plenty of theme and really gives players the freedom to do what they want. That's important to me in an adventure game - the idea that I'm going out and exploring this world rather than following one of a limited series of paths around a board.

The only real complaint I've heard about RB2e (that strikes me as a legitimate problem and not just personal tastes of the complainer) is downtime between player turns. Even that doesn't bother me so much, personally. I suspect that FFG recognizes that, too, which is probably why they're so slow in bringing out RB3e. Sales of RB2e were no longer sufficient to keep it in print, but they haven't worked up enough valid changes that legitimately improve game play in order to make RB3e official.

As for your suggestions, it seems like RB2e already had most of those things in spades:

A board game with a good card mechanic maybe similar to the WFRP 3e with more then one variant of play would be a very interesting.

I'm not familiar with WFRP 3e, but RB2e had a good card mechanic in the challenge card system, IMHO. There were plenty of adventure variant expansions released which changed game play in significant ways, and usually each box expansion added or changed at least a few mechanics as well.

Custom dice would also make it in plus but they should not be the main mechanic.

I don't necessarily get anything special out of a game having custom dice, myself, but RB2e did have the movement dice which were customized, but not part of the main mechanic.

Adding variant to play solo/co-op or player vs player would make it even better.

PvP was admittedly a failing for RB2e. It wasn't done well. Solo, on the other hand, was practically inherent in the game engine. True co-op was also mostly absent, although it would be easy enough to play Mists of Zanaga as a co-op by saying everyone needs to defeat all the primal gods together in order to win as a team.

For me it feels like some of the R2e feeling of play got into Descent 2e. Even the travel icons are there. So it will be hard for FFG to make a Runebound 3e becouse it's have to be a different game from previous editions and other titles set in Terrinoth.

Comming back to my suggestion. By saying custom dice I thought about main mechanic based on those. The card system then I would see as a good action mechanic would be WFRP 3e where each action has a card with recharge, and that card simply says everething You need to know from test to result - this mechanic is good and much more fits a board game then an RPG. Also monsters have special attacks depending on a monster. WFRP 3e even has cards for enviroments which gives special rules depending on where You are. So most of the main mechanic is based on cards.

This all brings me to a thought that maybe Runeboud 3e should go more into an LCG with board game elements then a board game with cards. I really do not know how to say it but if FFG would like to make it a successfull title - which is clear they would want that - a new edition must get this game into a different direction. There is no LCG set in Terrinoth at this point so maybe Runebound has a chance to evolve into such a game. One think is sure for me I do not want to see an upgrade of Runebound 2e, a revised edition or a clone of other game but only set in Terrinoth.

Cheers

One think is sure for me I do not want to see an upgrade of Runebound 2e, a revised edition or a clone of other game but only set in Terrinoth.

To be fair, I wouldn't care either way. I and many others have discovered this game after it was out of print. Therefore, FFG could just do a reprint of the game and many of us would get it.

Now that Talisman has gotten its final expansion (there are no more corners FFG, let Talisman go), the expansion for Relic is out, so is the expansion for EH, they have new diskwars coming out, I am not sure what else they have on the backburner.

Very likely an expansion for Battlelore 2, that is due pretty soon I would imagine, and that woould put people's interest back on Terrinoth, and Runebound.

Ah, to wait and wait, but then the game will be even sweeter when it comes out, because it will... won't it?

Edited by guillaumetexas

I have a feeling people like RB mainly as a solo game. I know I do.

You have to admit, it's structured like a video game (grind outside, rest at cities) and it's not fun watching people grind stats, go on solo quests, and generally not interact with you.

Ironocally, Runebound was meant to be a PvP game and house rules are needed to turn it solo. So rating it highly is kind of like someone rating Talisman highly because they came up with a variant that makes movement less random.

Since out of the box and as-designed Runebound wasn't the best PvP experience, I think if FFG redoes Runebound they will revamp the game mechanics so it can be appreciated on its own merits.

Ironocally, Runebound was meant to be a PvP game and house rules are needed to turn it solo. So rating it highly is kind of like someone rating Talisman highly because they came up with a variant that makes movement less random.

Not really sure where you're getting this from. The only "PvP" aspect of RB (without character expansions) is the race to the victory condition. It's always struck me as being more like a pick and deliver game, without the deliver part =P

Also, what house rules are needed to make it play solo? RAW plays fine solo, it's just that you already know who's going to win at the start. I assume that's not a high level complaint for most solo gamers =P

Letter in progress to FFG; petition site almost ready!

I saw the comment about Runebound being PvP. Wrong! As stated, in multiplayer it's a race and if you waste time engaging in PvP combat remember that the world's "clock" is ticking; this isn't Talisman where you have all the time in the world to screw over your opponent.

Lastly, Runebound plays beautifully as a solo game. Try it using the Doom track or the Threat counter. You have to balance between leveling up in encounters and getting to cities to get good loot. I wonder if the person who mentioned Runebound as being meant originally for PvP was thinking of Runewars as that game is absolutely PvP.

Oh, well when I meant "PvP" I meant "competition," and yeah, a race more than direct confrontation. It's just that there isn't a "ticking clock," it's a grinding race for XP. You can take all the time in the world as long as your opponents take the same. It's quite a good race for those who appreciate it - if your opponent starts pushing for yellows and blues, you'll have to do the same. Theoretically, it can create quite a tense race.

It's just that in practice, it may be difficult to find people who think watching others grind stats is entertaining, which is where some of the negativity comes from. In comparison to Talisman (which has its own share of criticisms), at least there are different types of encounters and ways to level up apart from XP grinding.

For those who can tolerate watching other people fight, Runebound is quite a good multiplayer race game because you're encouraged to keep up with the most bold opponent.

And yeah, it does play beautifully as a solo game, but it does require house rules at the moment. Like I said, if FFG recognizes this and puts official solo rules, then it can be "officially" marketed as a solo adventure. It's kind of like buying the Conversion Kit for Descent: Second Edition without owning the original game. Out of the box, it's not attractive at all, but if you don't mind using some house rules and proxies it's a great value.

Oh, well when I meant "PvP" I meant "competition," and yeah, a race more than direct confrontation. It's just that there isn't a "ticking clock," it's a grinding race for XP. You can take all the time in the world as long as your opponents take the same. It's quite a good race for those who appreciate it - if your opponent starts pushing for yellows and blues, you'll have to do the same. Theoretically, it can create quite a tense race.

It's just that in practice, it may be difficult to find people who think watching others grind stats is entertaining, which is where some of the negativity comes from. In comparison to Talisman (which has its own share of criticisms), at least there are different types of encounters and ways to level up apart from XP grinding.

For those who can tolerate watching other people fight, Runebound is quite a good multiplayer race game because you're encouraged to keep up with the most bold opponent.

And yeah, it does play beautifully as a solo game, but it does require house rules at the moment. Like I said, if FFG recognizes this and puts official solo rules, then it can be "officially" marketed as a solo adventure. It's kind of like buying the Conversion Kit for Descent: Second Edition without owning the original game. Out of the box, it's not attractive at all, but if you don't mind using some house rules and proxies it's a great value.

You make some valid points but again I would just remind you that if you use the Doom Track or some type of threat tracker, the game really does take on a sense of urgency.

What makes Runebound so very cool is that you have to make choices because that Doom Track is ever growing; it's a harbinger of the coming destruction. In that way, Runebound feels very much like the best high fantasy novels. Think (obviously) of The Lord of the Rings, or Terry Brooks' Shannara series. There is a threat looming to obliterate everything. As much as people may say it's a tired trope, it isn't because that threat hangs over us in our every day world - just ask a Ukrainian.

Anyhow, if you don't play with a Doom Track then yes, you can take all of the time you desire and faceroll Margath. And I will concede that multiplayer can be weak when you add in more than two or three players. I agree as well that some rule tweaks would help to speed the 4+ player game.

I play a bit of solo and also two player and every game has been unique and every game has literally come down to the wire - as it should be IMHO. :)

Also don't forget the variants like travel hazards! Those are a blast and perhaps when (I am being very positive) the 3rd edition sees print, travel hazards will become a more integral part of the game. It makes sense doesn't it? Borrowing again from Tolkien and Brooks, if an ancient evil is stirring, there's going to be nasties popping up virtually anywhere in the world.

I also agree that for some people it could be tedious to watch others in combat. For me it's a blast and even more so when players ask for advice as it makes it feel like we are companions with a common purpose. Yes, it should be painfully obvious that I am a "theme" w****e. ;) And I love the unexpected and in that respect both Runebound and Talisman both shine!

Runebound is an experience. It's not just a dungeon crawler. It's clear that FFG put a lot of thought into the lore and some of the flavor text in Runebound drips with it. With it being hard to find now - especially the small expansions - Mageknight is for me at least the closest experience. It's a great game too but in the long run, I still think that Runebound has the edge as there is so much more that could be done! The Sands of Al-Kalim even broke with normal convention by having as its focus each player essentially creating her/his own story to be remembered in Terrinoth. Watching other players create their stories is a fun experience for me and this too is something that FFG could develop even further.

I know that you love Runebound or you wouldn't have posted in this thread that SolennelBern so kindly started. I believe that after we convince FFG that Runebound is a product that veteran and newcomers want, FFG will look at our suggestions.

Keep the faith and please spread the word about the upcoming petition? Let's not allow this wonderful experience to be forgotten. :)

Namaarie,

Vlad

I really want a new edition or a reprint to be announced. I've been playing 1st edition and loving it but I would love to get a new edition with expansions and everything. This game took my gaming group by storm when we started playing it, now my Talisman and expansions sit on the shelf a lot more. I just wish that I could get a couple more copies, preferably of a newer print, so that we could get several games going at once.

One thing that keeps getting brought up is the free flowing nature of the game and that it is telling a story while you are playing it, that's another reason why I want to see it in print again so that we can get the expansions and change up the story sometimes.

All in all I just would really love to see another print of this game and I know it would sell several copies in my gaming group alone. And my gaming group and I would be up to signing a petition to let FF know that there is interest out there.

I will sign the petition for sure and I would buy Runebound 3rd edition instantly. The 2nd edition had a few flaws, but all in all the game is too good to let it die.

I would love to buy Runebound 2nd Ed. and if that isn't possible, a 3rd Ed. would be great too! I don't buy many games but I've played this one a few times with a friend who lives days away and it's easily one of my favourites. I can't play with anyone else because....Its out of print! You are definitely missing out on sales, as I said I only want this game!

I recently discovered Runebound (after playing Rune age) only to discover the game is nearly impossible to get in The Netherlands. I would love to get my hands on any edition and would welcome a 3rd edition very much. So let me add some positive thinking to the group!

Edited by Framboos

I'm signing!

Okay all, we have three pages just in this thread. I am going to do one last scour of the rest of the Runebound forums this week and then get the petition site ready to go.

I truly believe we can get this done and strangely, it was the announcement of a new edition of Dungeonquest that I think is an encouraging sign that FFG has not abandoned older games.

So please contact any gamers you know that you think would be interested in Runebound - either a 2nd edition reprint or a new 3rd edition and get them to add their voice here and to the petition site that I will link here hopefully next week!

Terrinoth awaits!!!!!!!

Excellent responses so far! What I am going to do now is comb the threads in this part of FFG's fora and post a link to THIS thread to tie up the numerous and scattered threads.

Having more people post here, plus the letter to FFG and the petition site should prove that a new Runebound would not be a gamble for FFG and its bottom line.

I really believe as a community we can get this done!

Best,

Vlad

PS: Please ask your friends interested in Runbound - whether veteran players or newcomers to the game to add their voices here! :)

Well since you asked I'm a veteran player of Runebound and I have been wanting a 3rd edition as well and then I stopped, shook the mob mentality outta' my head and asked why I wanted it. The answer is easy. I want more of what I already have. I don't really want a new edition as the one I have is one of the best games I've ever played. From reading these posts though you would think 2nd edition was a sub standard game! Honestly I don't see how they could improve on Runebound other than by releasing more expansions. So if FFG does make a 3rd edition I hope that they are compatable and that they just start printing it again. Getting FFG to just bring back 2nd edition would be easier, since it requires no effort other than production at first. Seriously do people think that 2nd edition wasn't good enough? Why then is it going for such a high price when it's found.

(by the way I'm not QUITE the dedicated gamer, and certainly not the collector that some of you seem to be so if anybody wants to buy all my 2nd ed. stuff for $500.00 I'm IN! That would be all the deck expansions except the alternate win condition decks and 4 of the character decks as well as Sands of Al-Qadim so all the adventure card and market cards for 2nd ed. are in my set. It's in excellent condition with all bits and even Plan-O storage containers. Yeah, it's a great game but turning down that offer would be like saying I'm willing to pay $500 for ANY boardgame. I'm not.)