Group Positive Thinking

By SolennelBern, in Runebound

Ok I know how we can make FFG announce Runebound 3rd edition.

We have to set a day, hour, minute and second of a point in the future where EVERYONE that want Runebound 3rd edition to happen get in mesmer mood and think they're holding RB3 in their hands.

I can easily see 1k people at a fixed day and time sending to FFG all this overwhelming positive thinking and a few weeks later we read on the front page: "Announcing Runebound 3rd edition".

You all with me?

Ok I know how we can make FFG announce Runebound 3rd edition.

We have to set a day, hour, minute and second of a point in the future where EVERYONE that want Runebound 3rd edition to happen get in mesmer mood and think they're holding RB3 in their hands.

I can easily see 1k people at a fixed day and time sending to FFG all this overwhelming positive thinking and a few weeks later we read on the front page: "Announcing Runebound 3rd edition".

You all with me?

I am with you, but, being a magician I have a strong sense of pragmatism. [sleight of hand artists are very pragmatic and more than a bit skeptical]. But, how about in addition to your idea, we set a specific date and (I am being serious now) have everyone post her/his interest in RB 3rd ed.?

It seems that requests for a new Runebound are scattered all over these fora, but, perhaps one thread which attracts a huge number of posts just might wake FFG to the fact that there IS a genuine interest in this game?

Runebound is a great game and perhaps an effort could also be made to attract PC gamers. Many boardgamers are already avid PC gamers like myself but I think there are many more who have not realized the richness of the board game world. As I write this, I am thinking of classic PC games that are similar to Runebound's mechanic and the following PC franchises are classics:

Heroes of Might and Magic, Age of Wonders (the fourth iteration, curiously referred to as Age of Wonders III is due out very soon), Disciples, and King's Bounty immediately spring to mind. None of these games are one offs and none of these games ceased after a second "edition."

King's Bounty includes the original, the remake in the mid-2000s, King's Bounty: Armored Princess and its expansion Crossworlds, and 2013 saw King's Bounty: Warriors of the North. [N.B.: Off all these games, King's Bounty is perhaps the closest cousin to Runebound].

Heroes of Might and Magic is now in its sixth iteration and that sixth iteration even has an expansion.

The Disciples series has three main editions, and the second and third editions have significant "expansions."

Additionally, if FFG reads these boards, it should realize that there are a LOT of people who have recently found out about Runebound but simply cannot find it in their gaming stores, so, they are paying exorbitant prices on eBay for the game and its expansions. FFG must realize that this is lost revenue.

I would be willing to draft a letter and a petition to Fantasy Flight Games and attempt to contact the company directly. If I receive enough responses in this thread, I will set up a petition for all to sign that will be sent directly to FFG.

If we want this, we need to make a concerted effort such that FFG sees the financial feasibility in creating a third edition. The mechanic of the game is sound as evidenced by its popularity here as well as other boardgames like MageKnight which have taken the Runebound experience and reaped the benefits. A quick look at Board Game Geek shows that MageKnight is still one of the hottest games around. That coupled with the strong success of PC games with the same or similar mechanic as Runebound plus the community's desire for Runebound could coalesce into a powerful and persuasive argument that would appeal to FFG. It could well be that from their point of view, a new Runebound could be a financial risk; they are of course correct. But, if the company can glean a truly coherent sense that the demand is there, maybe, just maybe, it could happen.

There is precedent, albeit in mass media. In 1969, just a few months before Neil Armstrong set foot on Earth's moon, NBC cancelled Star Trek. A small but very determined cadre of fans began a letter writing campaign that ultimately resulted in Star Trek becoming one of the most storied sci-fi franchises on television, at the movies, and in books.

So, SolennelBurn, if you will forgive me for possibly hijacking your post, I propose the above idea. I am with you; are you with me?

Edited by VladVoivode

Love it! I don't want ALL the credits is RB3 eventually coming out.

But all I ask is a Like :P

Your idea is even more concrete and might attract lots of attention, which we want.

So all we need is more readers and posters here so we can get this thing rolling!

We'll get'em! :D

Edited by SolennelBern

You have my sword..!

I'm on board. I have been searching for a great adventure game just like Runebound. I've been thinking of Mage Knight, but it just doesn't tickle my fancy enough to pull the trigger. When I saw Runebound, I wanted it. Unfortunately, it's gone! I'm considering ebaying it out so I can get a copy. But, I would definitely wait if FFG at least announced a 3E or a Reprint.

Count me in...RB3!...RB3!...RB3!...RB3!

Don't think a reprint is possible, but I'd be glad to see it, as I'd gladly see a 3rd Edition with some kind of conversion kit to make 2nd Edition usable.

Keep the responses coming folks and I'll write the letter and set up a petition site!

Keep the responses coming folks and I'll write the letter and set up a petition site!

I like that a lot!

Mostly what i'd like to see in a 3rd edition is that FFG keeps the epic scale of the game (don't do what they did with Descent) but rework the rules so everything gets more flowing (like they did with Runewars).

Update the artwork, keep the movement rules (which is awesome), make the game a bit more playable with 3+ players and we'll have a winner game.

I want an awesome adventure game experience. I have Mage Knight which is really great but I always thought there was something weird about it. Great game though and gives me my adventuring fix for now.

I'd be happy to give a shout for it. I am coming to the Runebound party a bit late and I have been trying to get a copy after watching a fantastic video review.

I must agree that the artiwork could do with being a bit updated, especially the board. When we see the 3D effect of Descent 2nd, we can only imagine what lovely world they could create on a board.

I myself really want it for the solo gameplay and for the more epic feel than Descent. I have Descent and I don't think it replace Runebound. Instead, we could think about playing the two games in partenrship. How incredible would it be to be able to link campaign from the two games, travelling around the world in Runebound and stopping in a city to enter a dungeon and switch to Descent.... :o Nerdgasm.

I have been looking for used copies and they go for $250 a pop. Come on FFG, help us out here. This can't be happening.

Edited by guillaumetexas

Excellent responses so far! What I am going to do now is comb the threads in this part of FFG's fora and post a link to THIS thread to tie up the numerous and scattered threads.

Having more people post here, plus the letter to FFG and the petition site should prove that a new Runebound would not be a gamble for FFG and its bottom line.

I really believe as a community we can get this done!

Best,

Vlad

PS: Please ask your friends interested in Runbound - whether veteran players or newcomers to the game to add their voices here! :)

Sign me up for the 3rd edition. But i have got to say the frozen wastes (i think that was what it is called) fluff was a misjudged mishmash of sci-fi and fantasy. Board overlays could be better too, but still a really good idea.

I join my voice to yours for a 3rd edition (or even a classics wave 2 for me).

How about board expansions instead of overlays?

More space = more epicness !!! (although I know this is debatable)

Anyway, +1 positive thought!

Just going to throw my hat in here. I'd like to see re-prints of the core game and the mini-expansion set.

I'd also be glad to see a 3rd edition that fixes some of the common complaints about the game, chiefly:

- More player interaction

- Shorter turns

- odd graphic design decisions (i.e.: using a helmet to represent ranged attacks? those gross sweat bead things for fatigue)

Here's some suggestions to kick things off:

More Player Interaction

I know some people like the way Runebound plays, as one BBG reviewer said, like "group solitaire", but I think most people would prefer more engagement between players. Boardgames are all about social interaction, its what distinguishes board games from video games.

One solution would be to create more cards that you can play offensively (or defensively) against the other players. The character deck expansions did try to do this but they were far too complicated and fiddly. I'm thinking something much simpler, like Runes that cause another player's item to spontaneously shatter, or causes an Allie to turn against him or a monster to suddenly heal back to full health. I actually think this should be the primary purpose of "Runes", to more explicitly differentiate them from other types of items.

Shorter Turns

Turns in Runebound are just too danged long, especially for new players.

In my game we've house ruled that there is only 1 combat round per turn. This might actually make the game slightly longer because a single combat could stretch out over several turns, but it makes turns much shorter, which picks up the game's pace and the non-active players don't have time to become restless. It also provides an opportunity for other players to sneak into an active combat and steal the glory, or to join forces and save a desperate player. The house rule generally works and I recommend it for 2nd edition, although there is the occasional monster whose rules break the system.

Odd Graphic Design Decisions

Just think through the icons better to make them more intuitive. Why not have a bow or an arrowhead to represent ranged attacks? Even the melee attack icon, an open palm, was an odd choice: a clenched fist or crossed swords would have been more appropriate. When I see an open palm, my first association is "skill check", not battle. This might seem like nitpicking, but icons should really be as obvious and intuitive as possible to reduce potential for misunderstanding or distraction.

Anyway, yes, I want Runebound back on the market. It fills a certain niche that no other game out there does. Talisman is a fun game, but it doesn't quite have the same epic scale and emersion that Runebound offers.

It's great to see the responses in this thread. I've copied and pasted the link to this thread to other parts of the forum. So please help spread the word? Even if people can come and post here just a "+1" then we have something to show FFG who still has not made any stirrings about a Runebound reprint, but, again, I DO believe that if FFG sees considerable interst either a reprint of Second Edition with some tweaks and variants and a few additional scenarios in the base set OR a bona-fide Third Edition could happen.

More and more people are discovering the game and either have to pass it up because of the sharks on eBay selling it at shylock prices or spend a fortune on it - and FFG is losing revenue.

I recently watched a YouTube video where a gamer lists essential solo and co-op games. Runebound was not on the list. I asked him why he omitted Runebound, and he stated that he was unaware of the game! This is a pretty well informed gamer, but, things have been so silent on the Runebound front that even gamers have posted on this forum that they just recently discovered Runebound.

While I understand that FFG is doing very well with big franchises like The Lord of the Rings and Star Wars, Runebound is a completely different experience as others have noted. Comparisons to Mage Knight are of course inevitable and I love that game as well, but, Mage Knight is not a game that lends itself well to easing new players into boardgaming. Additionally, Runebound can be played in less than half the time of Mage Knight so it would/could attract gamers that don't want to invest a lot of time with games like Mage Knight.

Let's keep it rolling! And you know, it might be interesting for FFG to explore doing a digital version of Runebound. Really, the only digital game on the market that closely resembles Runebound is King's Quest. Imagine a version of Runebound in which one could design maps, quests, have a random map generator and I think that this could be a great game. Age of Wonders III will be released in two weeks, Worlds of Magic and Warlock 2 will be released this year. There obviously is a demand for these types of games when you also take into account related games like HoMM, Disciples, Fantasy Wars, Elven Legacy, the freeware Battle for Wesnoth, etc.

If FFG can be convinced that a new or reprinted Runebound and a possible digital edition would be financially profitable, then it's a win-win situation for the company and the community. :)

Best,

Vlad

I would personally LOVE to see a 3rd edition of Runebound, or even a reprint of the 2nd edition. I, too, am getting on the Runebound train too late and have missed out on this awesome looking game. I currently own Battlelore 2nd Edition, Runewars, and Descent 2nd Edition. I keep being teased by the "based on the Runebound universe" label on all of my games, but have yet been able to actually acquire Runebound. I think with so many new players hopping on the Descent 2nd Edition bandwaggon, this would be a great time for a new version or reprint of Runebound.

Yeah that is what intrigue me the most: why would FFG still use "Based on the Runebound universe" on it's new games? Hope is still there...or they just forgot to remove it.

Exactly! It seems like the PERFECT time to capitalize on the popularity of current "based on the Runebound universe" titles. Runewars still has a solid following, Battlelore 2nd edition is a newer release and seems to be doing well, and Descent 2nd Edition is massively popular. It would make sense to do a reprint or 3rd edition soon in order to "strike while the iron's hot" so to speak.

Well, I got myself Mage Knight from Wizkids because I was looking for a solo fantasy adventure game. Certainly a head scratcher, but this will do while I wait for Runebound 3rd edition.

I also would like more reprints of 2nd edition or a new 3rd edition. There are some expansions I don't have yet.

I'd be willing to buy a Deluxe 2nd edition to get more stuff even tho I have the base game and a couple of expansions, or invest in a new edition.

I have friends who would like a copy and have to be satisfied with mine.

I get so angry when I see FFG announcing games like "The Last Banquet"...

WTF?!?!?!?

WTF?!?!?!?

Now, now. That doesn't sound like very "positive thinking." =P

WTF?!?!?!?

Now, now. That doesn't sound like very "positive thinking." =P

Hahahahah you're right...but what's with FFG releasing light games over light games? The Last Banquet, Age of War, Masques, GoT Westeros Intrigue...sure some look nice but what about RB3 when lots of peeps want it back!

I have put myself on new game strike. Is won't buy another new game (an addon isn't a new game) until they announce RB3e......